[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So Iran recently tried to attack a target in Raqqa (ISIS'

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

File: sadghhh.jpg (20KB, 414x299px) Image search: [Google]
sadghhh.jpg
20KB, 414x299px
So Iran recently tried to attack a target in Raqqa (ISIS' capital) in retaliation for an attack inside Tehran recently.

It seems that they fired 4 missiles, which all missed the intended target and even Raqqa. They fired 2 more, 1 of which hit another part of Raqqa and another which may have finally struck the target.

So the question stands: why are Iranian missiles so inaccurate? /k/ always tells me how powerful and advanced Iran is, I expected their missiles to easily strike and cause catastrophic damage.
>>
File: 1486318331705.jpg (19KB, 460x396px) Image search: [Google]
1486318331705.jpg
19KB, 460x396px
>>34307684

Because they're reverse engineered Soviet copies of Nazi V2s built by a pacifist science Nazi using slave labor?
>>
>>34307954
Why can't Iran develop modern rockets? /k/ always talks about how powerful and advanced they are
>>
>>34307684
I'm pretty sure that this will have been the longest range use of any missiles since the Iran/Iraq war and that had a border.

They're probably glad for the excuse to get some practice in.
>>
>/k/ always tells me how powerful and advanced Iran is
lelwut? Iran gets bullied a fair bit on /k/, eg. for that jet they halfheartedly are trying to build.

Most of their technology is shit, because they've had to come up with a lot of their own indigenous tech, and they're not exactly in a good position to be doing that.
>>
>>34309422
how DARE you mock the glorious design that is the F-313? Surely this post must be the work of agents of Zion!
>>
>>34309422
Kek. Forgot all about the brick they were trying to make airworthy
>>
>>34309336
MRBM's aren't exactly new technology. US/Russia/UK/France have had this tech since the 1960s, China and Israel since the 1970s, India, NK, and Pakistan since the 1990s
>>
>>34308439
No, we don't.
>>
>>34308439
>modern rocket

Most of the time, it's the guidance system. GPS is out of the question and terrain mapping is also not an option because they didn't have access to military-grade satellite mapping. They used GLONASS during raqqa attack and you already saw the result

The next best thing they could do is
>gyroscope
>forward spotter
>>
>>34307684
I thought they weren't allowed to have ballistic missile? Aren't they under sanction or something?
>>
>>34309759
>weren't allowed to have nuke warhead
Fixed. Nothing says they couldn't make their own ballistic missile even tho the american tried to include them into the deal.

>Aren't they under sanction or something
Under US economic sanction as well as UN sanction that prohibit sale of certain military equipment. It's not a total blanket sanction like the one imposed on best Korea.
>>
>>34307684
Didn't this coincide with the SAA jet getting shot down? Wasn't the reason stated for shooting down the plane because it bombed SDF positions? Is it plausible that the Iranian missiles that missed their targets MIGHT have been what hit the SDF positions instead?
>>
>>34309747
>GPS is out of the question
Why? You can get an arduino shield with gps for like 20 bucks on the net.

Sure it isnt the most accurate thing but it could get you within 30yrds easy.
>>
>>34309759
>>34309770
Also the US imposed sanctions are being slowly lifted as a part of the nuke deal, part of why you may be hearing talk of new business relations with Iran.
>>
>>34309927
You mean the DoD, NSA and CIA would let them use US satellite to guide their missile?
>>
>>34309945
Its not about "letting" them.

GPS works on a series of "pings" that are sent out by satellites orbiting the earth.

Ever since those frequencies were unrestricted in the mid 80s, anyone could use US satellite GPS information for anything.

>In 1983, after Soviet interceptor aircraft shot down the civilian airliner KAL 007 that strayed into prohibited airspace because of navigational errors, killing all 269 people on board, U.S. President Ronald Reagan announced that GPS would be made available for civilian uses once it was completed,[41][42] although it had been previously published [in Navigation magazine] that the CA code (Coarse/Acquisition code) would be available to civilian users.
>>
>>34309336
That's probably the disturbing thing about it, practice. Now they know what they're doing doesn't work and would try to improve it if they had common sense. Fuckin russia trying to block a missile shield around there too, bunch of idiots.
>>
It's called Mansiroska where you hide your true form from the enemy.
>>
>>34309961
>>34309927
The one additional issue here is that the US has basically forced commercial GPS units to have a software velocity and height limit to specifically prevent this usage. Doesn't stop you from building your own units but that's going to take way more skill than buying some glonass units from the ruskis
>>
>>34309991
That's just it though anon, its a software problem.

Give me 3 months and a copy of ANSI C and I'll have you an unlocked version.

Now, hardware limitations on the other hand... Those are represent a significantly bigger problem.
>>
>>34309984

Maskirovka*
>>
>>34309991
COCOM is ancient and easily worked around with firmware patches. Its from another time of end-to-end dedicated GPS receivers. Just about any CPU available today can handle decoding, and the RF and cleanup has to be done for it to work at all.
>>
>>34307684
It seems like at this point, Syria is just being used by all sides as a designated training/testing site for their militaries, giving nations a chance to hone their force projection skills, let units get combat air time, and iron out the kinks in some of their wiz-bang weapons.
It's not a real war, and ISIS is small time, so there's little urgency or risk involved.
>>
>>34308439
>/k/ always talks about how powerful and advanced they are

No they aren't.

/k/ in particular is victim of the Zionist conditioning which has been disguised as American patriotism and chauvinism, and has always mocked Iran.
>>
>>34307684
>Iran can't even copy a Phoenix Missile or a TOW correctly
>expect them to figure out how to make a ballistic missile with any sort of accuracy
>>
>>34310334
Sounds like spain in the 30's.
>>
>>34307684
>So Iran recently...

I FUCKING HATE MOTHERFUCKERS WHO START TALKING WITH " SO", "SO" WHAT???

WHO THE FUCK YOU'RE RESPONDING TO ?????
>>
>>34310507
this is some weapons grade autism right here
>>
>>34309747
For the non-GPS/GLOSSNASS/Chink-GPS users; could they use a forward spotter / drone + laser / radio mid course corrections to guide in a SRBM?
>>
>>34310397
What's wrong with the Iranian TOW atgm copy?

I thought it was working ok in Syria?
>>
>>34310566
It has less range and the warhead hasn't advanced beyond the ITOW stage. Granted, ITOW is perfectly fine for use in Syria as seen by how the Saudis, Jordanians, Egyptians and US dumped their remaining stocks there (you can always tell which specific groups/units were the ones with spooks in them, as they always put out really high quality footage and almost universally used the E models and used them correctly).

Their replacement for the Phoenix is anger inducing though - they just shoved on old Hawk missiles and rigged them for aerial launch.
>>
>>34307684
>So the question stands: why are Iranian missiles so inaccurate? /k/ always tells me how powerful and advanced Iran is, I expected their missiles to easily strike and cause catastrophic damage.
On the one hand, it's really embarrassing for them. But on the other hand, now they know their rockets are shit, and shouldn't be relied on.

>>34308439
>why can't country X into modern rocketry?
You're in luck anon, I remembered an old thread where this was discussed, and was able to find it in the archives! It's super informative.

https://yuki.la/k/27679912
>Todays physics lesson: Gravity maps and SCUDS
>Ever wonder why reported accuracy for missiles like SCUDS when used by Russians and the actual accuracy when used by the likes of middle eastern nations differs by so much?
>Because Arabs don't have accurate gravity maps! Read these pages:
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_anomaly
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertical_deflection

>During the cold war NATO and the USSR sent out hundreds of scientists and spent billions on satellites to map the changes in earth's gravity. These were and are some of the most secret documents ever made. See, terminal correction can only go so far and some missiles don't even have that. Although small changes in earth's gravity are not noticeable by human they can affect the trajectory of a missile's path and impact point by up to a mile.

>If you are building the entrance to a shelter that is going to get blasted from 70 km away by a huge ass siege cannon knowing that you can increase the circular error probability (CEP) of that gun by 10-15 feet by placing it a area where the shell's flight path will pass over several anomalies can be quite useful.
(cont. in link)
>>
>>34310608
>HAWK missiles, from F-14 rails

That's disgusting.
>>
>>34310385
>Americans call the Iranian military shit
>>IT'S ZIONIST CONDITIONING!!!!!
>>it's just mere coincidence that their military is actually shit

Cool story kid.
>>
>>34310710
Very interesting!
>>
>>34307684
>all missed the intended target
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwJCjQAJF18
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhIIwAlPMyk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VQ0Oz0DPjw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa6kkcORcXw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xXHslKfcCI

what the fuck are you talking about? they all hit their target in Deir Ezzor.
>>
>>34310843
You're welcome. It's one of those threads that sticks out in your mind as being one of "the great ones".
>>
File: 1497958581176.jpg (34KB, 536x536px) Image search: [Google]
1497958581176.jpg
34KB, 536x536px
>>34307954
>a pacifist science Nazi
When will this meme end? Can't you just accept that he was an ordinary nazi, but very co-operative and useful?
>>
>>34307684
>/k/ always tells me how powerful and advanced Iran is,

What is a regional power?
>>
>>34310710
yes, very interesting indeed.

thanks anon
>>
>>34311011

Having read his memoirs and biography and personally convinced he wasn't a Nazi, an intellect like that generally doesn't find demagoguery appealing.
>>
File: Scared_pepe.jpg (98KB, 900x913px) Image search: [Google]
Scared_pepe.jpg
98KB, 900x913px
>>34310420
>Sounds like spain in the 30's
>Spain in the 30's

Well that's a reassuring thought, now isn't it?
>>
>>34311127
He was technically a Nazi, but out of convenience.

>if I say I'm a Nazi will I get funding?
>>you will get all the funding, Der Führer loves this shit
>HEIL HITLER

>bruh, you can't be a Nazi and work for the American military
>>if I say I'm not will I get funding?
>you will get all the funding, US needs this shit.
>>BASEBALL, APPLE PIE, HEIL NACA
>cut it out with that heil shit...
>>
>>34310608
They're copying 80s TOW using what they've got from iran contra. Since they also had Kornet (which they produced locally), the only reason why they still maintain TOW is either for the cobras or because they stockpiled the crap out of them

Also, those TOW copy works wonder in Iraq, Syria and Yemen
>>
File: Hitler's Christmas.jpg (140KB, 539x810px) Image search: [Google]
Hitler's Christmas.jpg
140KB, 539x810px
>>34307954
>>34311011
>>34311127

You talk about being Nazi as if it were a bad thing.
>>
>>34307684
Those were first gen North Korean models. Of course they wouldn't work.
>>
>>34311489
I'm not a nazi or anything but desu hitler seemed like a breddy cool guy.
>>
File: coolstorybro.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
coolstorybro.gif
1MB, 320x240px
>>34310710
Neat stuff. Cheers.
>>
>>34309927
>gps
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinating_Committee_for_Multilateral_Export_Controls
Though Russian hackers can hack everything
https://www.wired.com/2013/09/bypassin-us-gps-limits-for-active-guided-rockets/
>>
>>34311161
When USSR will start occupying Baltic states you know what to do.
>>
>>34311173
Jej
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.