[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just bought me a bokken today for kendo practice and home defense

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 9

File: red oak bokken.jpg (147KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
red oak bokken.jpg
147KB, 1000x1000px
Just bought me a bokken today for kendo practice and home defense (nogunz country).

I go by bus so a lot people were watching, they didn't ask any weird question and I felt pretty damn spooked out.

Is this the feeling of OC? Even thought the bokken has a sword carrying bag?

And for the bokken itself, it's pretty great, much more well-balanced than a baseball bat.
>>
>>34301822
>Is this the feeling of OC?
No. This is the feeling of autism.
>>
>>34301822
Wow lol
>>
>>34301912
>>34302104
Explain?
>>
>>34302182
You have a stick.
>>
>>34302195
A sword shaped stick that easily surprises people.

People in this country does not usually carry that around.
>>
>>34301822
>Hey guys I bought a thing and people were looking at me strangely even though the thing was in a bag
One might reach the conclusion that people were looking at you strangely for reasons other than the thing. Please never make a thread again.
>>
I understand how venturesome you must have felt carrying a wooden stick in your bag if you live in the UK.
>>
>>34302204
its still a stick. its no different than wearing a funny hat in public.
>>
>>34301822
>(nogunz country)
I'm so sorry.
>>
>>34301822
>European men are so immasculated that they're afraid of sticks.
>>
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
>>
>>34303301
>emasculated

Also stick might break, then wonderful young man have two stick
>>
>>34303423
Stick always win!
>>
>>34301822
Jesus Christ, how much did you pay for that? You can get a decent real sword for under 200 bucks, you know.
>>
>>34303447
But this is a glorious nippon wood sanded over 1000 times and impregnated with the menstrual blood of prepubescent (((girls)))
>>
File: 1477634802564.jpg (60KB, 640x442px) Image search: [Google]
1477634802564.jpg
60KB, 640x442px
>>34301822
You bought a stick for home defense? Leave it in the closet with your gear. You're carrying the equivalent of a walking stick you fucking pussy, nobody is scared of you.
>>
>>34303447
Not OP, but in many traditional japanese martial arts the bokken was and still is used in training and you can buy one for like 20-30 dollars.
>>
Oh I'm laffin
>>
File: e8e.jpg (238KB, 1076x856px) Image search: [Google]
e8e.jpg
238KB, 1076x856px
>>34303402
>>
>>34303881
Projecting much?
>>
>>34301822
You can be like that one musashi miyamoto guy and club an intruder to death.
>>
>>34304565
mem
>>
>>34303447
Uh, less than 10 dollars.
>>34303557
But a stick is a legit self defense tool.
>>
>>34303219
And? Carrying a big stick around is not an usual sight around this country.
>>34302970
Said conclusion is never reached because I did not get such looks without carrying such a thing.
>>
>>34303219
Is a baseball bat also a stick to you?
>>
>>34304958
>I did not get such looks without carrying such a thing
Yes you do, you're just not as self-conscious about it when you don't have muh samurai stick with you.
>>
>>34305368
Uh, but I don't?

You are projecting, aren't you?

>you don't have muh samurai stick with you.
Or any stick.
>>
File: Superlative laugh.jpg (180KB, 517x768px) Image search: [Google]
Superlative laugh.jpg
180KB, 517x768px
>>34305377
>You are projecting, aren't you?
You got me, I'm just thinking back to all of the times I took my weebstick on the bus.
>>
>>34305732
You are projecting a scenario and putting yourself into it, anon.
>>
>>34305764
>pop psych
Oh this only gets better and better.
>>
>>34301822
>I go by bus so a lot people were watching, they didn't ask any weird question and I felt pretty damn spooked out.

What kind of fucked up shithole do you live in where people shit bricks because someone has a piece of fucking wood?
>>
>>34301822
Holy fuck, this is less funny and more genuinely concerning
You gonna beat up some chavs with your stick?
>>
>>34306203
Vietnam.
>>34306277
It's just for kendo practices, officer.

Anything wrong with that?
>>
>>34305951
Well, I'm not the guy who thinks he knows what everybody think by some post on the internet.
>>
>>34301822
I don't know why everyone is being a tard
Its just a long baton and no one thinks those aren't self defense
>>
>>34307222
It's just aversion to anything not a gun.
>>
>>34307179
>Vietnam.

Ha ha, bullshit.

However, it IS a good time to point out that if the zipperheads didn't go crying to the USSR and the Red Chinese, and actually FOUGHT FOR THEIR country, Nam would be a world class vacation spot now with its own Disneyland and the people would be rich as fuck (comparatively speaking).

Enjoy your brutal dictatorship and fish heads and rice, slopes.
>>
>>34301822
A bruiser isn't going to save you in tight urban spaces. May as well carry a bat.
>>
>>34307267
Yeah, I'm just buying a wooden sword, officer.
>>
>>34307280
A bat isn't really superior to a wooden sword.

A wooden sword is better balanced and lighter, not to mention, better reach. The edged tip makes it better for thrusting as well.
>>
>>34307202
t. guy who thinks he knows what everybody think by some post on the internet.
>>
>>34307318
>A wooden sword is better balanced and lighter, not to mention, better reach. The edged tip makes it better for thrusting as well.

>implying that a non-spergy retard autist drooling moron couldn't find a stick of wood and carve their own in an afternoon.
>>
>>34307339
I don't even pretend I do though.
>>34307341
Really? You would spend an afternoon making a wooden sword when you can just buy one for lesser than $10?

Why?
>>
>>34307356
>Really? You would spend an afternoon making a wooden sword when you can just buy one for lesser than $10?
>Why?

I could make the exact one I want for $0 in a couple hours, but the big question is still why would someone even buy a fucking stick that mimics a weapon? Buy the fucking weapon, not a Goddamn stick-- a fucking stick of wood is not even stone-age technology.
>>
>>34307460
For practice of course.

Jesus christ, you know real people buy wooden swords for practice you know?

Are you that averse to fucking stick?
>>
File: Pepe Link.png (138KB, 4500x4334px) Image search: [Google]
Pepe Link.png
138KB, 4500x4334px
>>34307237
>implying swordfags aren't laughing at you too
>>
>>34307490
Are they?

I didn't know swordfags are hardcore mofos who practice with real swords.
>>
Why is everyone in this thread seem to be triggered by a fucking stick?
>>
>>34307356
>Get made fun of for feeling uncomfortable in public
>Say it's because people don't like anything other than guns
You've been that guy ITT OP.
>>
>>34307481
>you know real people buy wooden swords for practice you know?

Kek, it is incredibly fucking pointless to buy a fucking "PRACTICE" weapon when you don't have a fucking REAL weapon to work with.

Walk on home and get your shine box, boy. You can play with your stick along the way.
>>
>>34307563
Jesus fuck, I didn't know feeling uncomfortable in public is a sin on fucking /k/.

I'm very sorry.

>Say it's because people don't like anything other than guns
It's very true though, imagine if I was OCing a real sword, the thread would be about how I'm a massive weeaboo retard.
>>
>>34307577
>Kek, it is incredibly fucking pointless to buy a fucking "PRACTICE" weapon when you don't have a fucking REAL weapon to work with.
Except that is incredibly common worldwide, you expect every kendo practitioners to have a real sword, even with strigent sword laws worldwide?

>Walk on home and get your shine box, boy. You can play with your stick along the way.
Oh yes, next time I would remember to not bring my stick in public place.

Jesus christ, this is modern /k/, where people get triggered by fucking sticks.
>>
>>34307636
>you expect every kendo practitioners to have a real sword,

NO, dipshit
>Kendo (剣道? kendō, lit. "sword way") is a modern Japanese martial art, which descended from swordsmanship (kenjutsu) and uses bamboo swords (shinai) and protective armour (bōgu).

>this is modern /k/, where people get triggered by fucking sticks.

No, we're triggered by the idea that you'd shit your pants on the bus for carrying a fucking stick, you fucking moron.
>>
>>34307590
>I didn't know feeling uncomfortable in public is a sin on fucking /k/.
It's the fact that you made a thread about it you doofus, then you kept it alive by getting progressively saltier.

>imagine if I was OCing a real sword
Imagine if we stayed on topic and you were sperging out about bored bus people looking at you trying to figure out what was in the longass bag you were carrying.
>>
File: Darksword Armory Federschwert.jpg (102KB, 1000x622px) Image search: [Google]
Darksword Armory Federschwert.jpg
102KB, 1000x622px
>>34307511
so this... is the power... of eastern swordsmanship...
>>
>>34307723
>>Kendo (剣道? kendō, lit. "sword way") is a modern Japanese martial art, which descended from swordsmanship (kenjutsu) and uses bamboo swords (shinai) and protective armour (bōgu).
A bamboo sword is a practice weapon as well, and I would feel uncomfortable with that.

>No, we're triggered by the idea that you'd shit your pants on the bus for carrying a fucking stick, you fucking moron.
I don't see a problem with that. Do you carry regularly carry a fucking stick on the bus, wrapped in a sword bag even?
>>
>>34307731
>It's the fact that you made a thread about it you doofus, then you kept it alive by getting progressively saltier.
So it's a sin to make a thread about feeling uncomfortable in public place, on /k/ of all places?
>Imagine if we stayed on topic and you were sperging out about bored bus people looking at you trying to figure out what was in the longass bag you were carrying.
That's exactly the problem I was saying about though? Getting weird ass look for carrying a longass bag.
>>
>>34307760
>A bamboo sword is a practice weapon

It is THE Kendo weapon, you fucking dolt. Can't you fucking read above the 1st grade level?

OP's post:
>>34301822
>I go by bus so a lot people were watching, they didn't ask any weird question and I felt pretty damn spooked out.

Fucking sperged out fucking retard.
>>
>>34307744
So how much do you pay for that "real sword"?

I paid less than $10 for my practice weapon.
>>
>>34307796
Except bokken is also a practice weapon in kendo.

>Fucking sperged out fucking retard.
I'm the OP, and that's sperging out?

Feeling uncomfortable is sperging out? Wut?
>>
>>34307801
>So how much do you pay for that "real sword"?
>I paid less than $10 for my practice weapon.

You could cut yourself one out of fucking cardboard for nothing that would be just as useful you stupid fucking cunt.
>>
>>34307825
Yep, a wooden sword is just as good as foam sword for training.

Go tell a HEMA class that.

Seriously, go do it.
>>
>>34307847
>defends having a piece of wood instead of a weapon on a weapons board.

You sir, are a fucking retard. No error. Post more, as I am highly entertained by your stupidity.
>>
>>34307880
Except a piece of wood is also weapon, sir.
>>
File: 1487851383636.png (418KB, 721x723px) Image search: [Google]
1487851383636.png
418KB, 721x723px
>>34307801
>i paid less money for an inferior product
>>
>>34307895
>Except a piece of wood is also weapon, sir.

So is a rock, a ball point pen, a cup of urine and the jawbone of an ass.

I am pleased that you shit your pants when carrying a stick of wood on the buss. Tell us more.
>>
>>34307923
Except a blunt metal sword is not superior to a blunt wooden sword...
>>
>>34307926
A piece of wood i.e. a stick has legit fighting styles from Europe and Asia backing it.

Techniques that you can learn and be proficient at.

I suggest you do more training and learning instead of shitposting.

>I am pleased that you shit your pants when carrying a stick of wood on the buss. Tell us more.
Retard, I was carrying in a black sword bag, I was afraid people are gonna call the cops in fear that I carry a real fucking sword.
>>
>>34307931
>Except a blunt metal sword is not superior to a blunt wooden sword...

Not so. The wood sword will leave splinters in your ass, while the metal sword will just require sterilization.
>>
>>34307955
Unless you clash the bokken with a real metal sword, I don't see how it can leave splinters
>>
File: Tekkan.jpg (803KB, 3259x327px) Image search: [Google]
Tekkan.jpg
803KB, 3259x327px
>>34307931
except it is and that's why people used them...
>>
>>34307985
On the contrary, more people used shinai and bokken than tekkan.
>>
>>34307980
>Unless you clash the bokken with a real metal sword, I don't see how it can leave splinters

Shove them both up your ass, and tell me which one leaves the splinters, you cock snarfing faggot.
>>
>>34308009
I don't think I should shove them up my ass, anon.
>>
>>34308000
[citation needed]
>>
>>34308056
The currently curiculum of kendo, kenjutsu, iaido and even aikido employ shinai, bokken and then shinken, not tekkan.
>>
>>34301912
FPBP
>>
>>34301822
A fucking stick!

What happened? Did you have to bin that spoon or something?
>>
>>34303468
>menstrual blood
>prepubescent
Pick one
>>
bokkens are cool man. good for practicing. anything that doesn't fire bullets gets shit on here, though.
>>
>>34308162
...a fucking sword-length stick is a better weapon than a spoon or a knife.
>>
>>34307179
>Vietnam.
How can you need a wooden stick? Aren't there 20 bazillion SKS carbines laying around from the war? If not, you could at least dig up a landmine or a fist full of agent orange enriched soil.
>>
>>34301822
you fucking weeb faggot get a cane with a weighed head.
>>
>>34308180
>HURRRR STIKS R GUD
>HURRRR IF IT BO FIRE BOOOETS K H8S
That's why we have daily knife threads, daily patch threads, daily gear threads...

Fuck off weeb trash
>>
>>34308222
No?

Govt confiscate most weapons post 75.
>>
>>34308237
That isn't superior to a wooden sword.
>>34308241
I agree, we should have way more martial art threads around here.

Fuck gear fetishy.
>>
>>34308182
>sword-length stick is a better weapon than a spoon or a knife.
stick< spoon with sharpened edge< knife
>>
>>34308130
>The currently curiculum of kendo
I think what you meant to say earlier was "Except a blunt metal sword is not superior to a blunt wooden sword for practice," which is still false. I assumed you meant in general since this thread is full of you trying to convince people that wooden swords aren't bottom-tier weapons.
>>
>>34308282
Except the stick has a thing called reach.

So unless you have a sword (long knife), or spear (knife on stick), get outta here.
>>
>>34308273
>That isn't superior to a wooden sword.
A golf club is superior to your wooden sword
>>
>>34308241
hello retard. all those knife threads are just people shitting on everything that doesn't cost $500.
>>
>>34308291
It's not false. Pretty much everyone practice who knows kendo, kenjutsu, iado... once with bokken until they move to shinken, tekkan is barely used anymore.
>I assumed you meant in general since this thread is full of you trying to convince people that wooden swords aren't bottom-tier weapons.
Wooden swords aren't really bottom-tier weapons though.

The jap even has techniques directly teach how to fight with bokken.
>>
>>34308301
t. 3rd world phoneposter who's still mad that /k/ took a dump on his $5 tacticool S&W
>>
>>34308298
Now that's arguable.

Never use a golf club for fighting though.
>>
>>34308301
>poorfag detected
kek
>>
>>34308354
larping neet detected
>>
>>34308321
>It's not false.
>bokken until they move to shinken
so yea, it's false. wood will never be as good a training tool for a steel weapon as steel itself.

>The jap even has techniques directly teach how to fight with bokken.
every culture with access to wood has stick fighting, that doesn't mean sticks aren't bottom-tier weapons.
>>
>>34308396
>so yea, it's false. wood will never be as good a training tool for a steel weapon as steel itself.
Except it is, it's literally how modern japanese sword curriculum work.
>every culture with access to wood has stick fighting, that doesn't mean sticks aren't bottom-tier weapons.
The fact every cultures have stick fighting prove that sticks aren't bottom-tier weapons.
If they are bottom-tier, there's no reason why there should be techniques for it, plenty of common objects exist without dedicated styles to them.
>>
>>34308365
>defensive
>projecting
kek
>>
File: tiers are for queers.jpg (25KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
tiers are for queers.jpg
25KB, 480x360px
>>34308396
>bottom-tier
The club was around long before you were, and people will still be killing each other with it long after gunpowder weaponry has become obsolete.
>>
>>34308301
>mommy won't buy me any knife over $7 because I'm underage and we're poor
Awwww poor little guy
>>
>>34308529
This is everything wrong with /k/, gear fucking fetish.

A guy with wooden sword is going to beat the shit out of you with your $500 knife.
>>
>>34308552
You mean with my gun because I'm not a beta poorfag in a cuck country that knows it's citizens are too dumb to be trusted with guns??

Keep crying poorfag.
>>
>>34301822
HUG A DICK
BIN THAT STICK
>>
>>34308430
>it's literally how modern japanese sword curriculum work.
yes, they move from wood to steel because steel is better for training than wood. It's the same in the West.

>The fact every cultures have stick fighting prove that sticks aren't bottom-tier weapons.
that's a stretch considering that stick fighting generally comes from peasants learning to defend themselves with the bottom-tier weapons that they were relegated to by their socioeconomic status.

>>34308480
>https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-8
>2011
>Knives or cutting instruments: 1,694
>Personal weapons (hands, fists, feet, etc.): 728
>Blunt objects (clubs, hammers, etc.): 496
>>
>>34308552
>no guns
>poorfag
>defending A STICK
>'this is what's wrong with /k/'
top kek kiddo
>>
>>34303557
Unrelated to OPs faggotry a walking stick is actually a pretty good self defense weapon if you know how to use it.
>>
>>34307318
>better balanced and lighter
Well, a quarter-inch thick poplar dowel of equal length would be even lighter and better balanced than your bokken, now wouldn't it? Does that make it a better weapon?

A bat is a bit unwieldy, but it delivers a fuckton of kinetic energy when it lands. Bones are broken, full stop. You're not gonna win a kendo bout with it, but you will break a motherfucker's arm, kneecap, clavicle, spine, or skull.

A bokken can--potentially--*almost* perform as well, due to the way force is concentrated behind the smaller striking surface. But you have to be capable of generating a massive amount of velocity, your core muscles and triceps have to be well trained to deliver the requisite explosive force. With a lot of training you can *almost* hit as hard with it, and what you get in the trade-off? More maneuverability? Why do you need that advantage, to beat other autists from rival stick dojos? If you're picturing yourself striking a knife from an attacker's hand and then hitting them in both kneecaps, both elbows, their groin and their throat, you're dreaming.

But look, you've made your choice. You're relying on a bokken, that's your life now. So remember what I said about training, the muscles you swing with need to be powerful. Don't just practice swinging, use strength training to build up more physical power. And look past traditional kendo strikes, the dimensions and form of the bokken will also let you incorporate some practical jojutsu techniques into your repertoire.
>>
>>34308617
>yes, they move from wood to steel because steel is better for training than wood. It's the same in the West.
No, they move to steel because steel is the real weapon, you obviously need to spend times with real weapons in order to be good at them, but wooden weapons serve as good weapons for practicing AND sparring.
>that's a stretch considering that stick fighting generally comes from peasants learning to defend themselves with the bottom-tier weapons that they were relegated to by their socioeconomic status.
Where they come is not important, the importance is how useful they are, and stick fighting is immensely useful for everyone.
>>
>>34308861
A bokken is still better because the edge means you can thrust it reasonably better than the bat, this combined with the reach means it's really a better weapon.

The bat might crush bones and shit, but nobody is going to stand around and get fucking crushed by a bat.
>>
>>34308324
>>34308354
>>34308529
Case in point
>>
>>34307179
You live in a country where you can literally go to the jungle and pay to shoot water buffalos with old RPGs leftover from the war,yet you chose a stick.
>>
>>34309196
>steel is the real weapon
which is why steel is the superior training tool.

>stick fighting is immensely useful for everyone.
which I'm sure is why just about everyone dropped the sticks as soon as practically any other weapon became available.
>>
>>34309388
>Baby's first week on /k/
Thread posts: 115
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.