[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, the Steyr Scout. I've been intrigued by this rifle for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 8

File: Capture.jpg (52KB, 853x479px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
52KB, 853x479px
So, the Steyr Scout. I've been intrigued by this rifle for some time, and now that I've watched Ian's newest vid on it, I really want it. But there's one thing I don't understand.

He states that it's a good rifle for it's intended use, but that there aren't many places where it could be used like that. But wouldn't these features make it the perfect innawoods/hiking/camping gun?
>>
>>34294301
Perfect weapons don't exist, it's always comprises. Would this be a good fun to have hiking/innawoods? Sure, but if you see some fowl or some other game bird good luck hitting it, or leaving enough left to eat if you do hit it. IMO best innawoods gun is a 22mag/12ga combo gun. Even that has a lot of limitations compared to a bolt action rifle. It's all about balancing what you, yourself, need.
>>
it's got particularly good accuracy when you're jumping around, also you'll run faster with it. Just don't forget to carry your knife as backup.
>>
>>34294301
>He states that it's a good rifle for it's intended use, but that there aren't many places where it could be used like that.

He thinks it's a combat rifle, and you won't see much combat. The scout rifle concept is designed to be an all purpose fighting rifle, in which sounds dumb because it's more of a SPR to tag along with a sidearm or PDW when supposedly it is the "only gun you need".
>>
He says it's a rifle to be carried around a lot and shot a little. Few people do that today, even hunters.
>>
File: tmp_2669-mn01300580615.jpg (395KB, 1600x1347px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_2669-mn01300580615.jpg
395KB, 1600x1347px
>>34294301

This is the best wheel for this intended use: riding on these equally spaced bumps.

There are not many places this is useful, and everywhere else there is a better choice.

If you need a light weight bolt action rifle with a low magnification scope firing a full size cartridge with an integrated bipod, the Scout is a good choice.
>>
>>34294715
>He thinks it's a combat rifle, and you won't see much combat.
Did you even watch the video? He says the EXACT opposite.
>>
>>34294301
The scout rifle is a concept that was invented for the sake of inventing a concept.

There was no actual market requirement for a rifle that fits those criteria.

It's designed for a use that really doesn't exist in modern times.

In Areas where the "frontier" use makes sense, Northern Canada, Alaska, Siberia etc... I'd much rather be carrying a guide gun chambered in a heavy round, like 45-70.

There are some that advocate it's use as an actual military scout rifle, which is retarded in lieu of other options.
>>
>>34294301
>wouldn't these features make it the perfect innawoods/hiking/camping gun?
sure but how often does the average person go camping? a few times as a kid then maybe once as an adult with a planned yearly postponed camping trip that never happens cause your friends schedules never meet up.
even if you go camping its not like camping/hiking gives you free reign to shoot whatever you want.
>>
Be careful what you use to clean it. The plastic mags will melt
>>
>>34294301
No it makes a good Safari/Exploration gun
And even then, it's a somewhat outdated concept since those excursions are so rare now
>>
>>34296932
>Exploration
But isnt that what you're doing while innawoods?
>>
>>34296791
People on here go innawoods all the time
>>
>>34296955
Not really at all.

What (most) people are doing innawoods, myself included, is AT BEST hiking along a predefined path, bringing pretty much all the gear necessary to sustain themselves for that limited amount of time, and really being in little to no danger of animal attack or running out of food. At worst, and most of the time, people are going car camping, at a predefined camp site, with literally dozens of resources available to make sure they never actually have to carry a gun for animal defense, even if they do.

If animal defense if our primary concern, too, again I'd argue a scout rifle isn't ideal.

People don't really go balls to the walls actual exploring unknown vast stretches of wilderness anymore. And a scoped rifle for animal defense doesn't really make sense.
>>
File: 308-optimum-barrel-length-chart.jpg (39KB, 441x287px) Image search: [Google]
308-optimum-barrel-length-chart.jpg
39KB, 441x287px
Honestly, I think the barrel is too long. I'm trying to picture myself doing portage with it and I can't see the barrel not bouncing around on the inside of the canoe.
>>
>>34297293
Wow, and I thought /k/ was tough. Fuckin pansies.
>>
>>34294715
>He thinks it's a combat rifle
100% confirmed you did not watch the video
>>
>>34296672
Words Said=/=Words Meaning

I am sure that is the intent. If there was an issue about having the rifle in "certain places" of "intended use" then why is it even an issue? Otherwise why would I even bother about listening to OP if he just puts a spin to whatever Ian talks about?
>>
>>34297586
100% confirmed that OP is a faggot, because as usual the source is the OP if there is no link.
>>
File: 1402174577292.png (132KB, 342x500px) Image search: [Google]
1402174577292.png
132KB, 342x500px
>>34294366
>tfw would play scoutzknivez for days when I was a kid
>>
>>34297593
>not watching Ian's vids the second they come out
hownew.ru
>>
>>34297610
Niggah I don't have time to search for needless shit.
>>
>>34297618
Yeah confirmed for total newshit
pls go back to wherever you came from
>>
>>34297624
It may be time to play for you but it would always be summer to me.
>>
>>34297618
>Not being subscribed to their channels
>>
The scout concept is great if you have a large farm or ranch. You can engage anything in North America or two legged threats while taking care of animals or equipment. Very few people would take advantage of this situation.
>>
It's a scout rifle. It's snazzy and cool and easy to take along but it doesn't serve a lot of uses. My beef is that you can get a Savage of similar quality but with a slightly longer barrel for a lot less, or you can pay roughly the same amount for something like a Tika which is a step up in accuracy. The Steyr Scout doesn't offer nearly the accuracy or features to justify the price, but it is light and comfy.
>>
>>34297587
Again, have you even watched the video?
>>
>>34297655
Being light is the advantage. If you really want a good scout you would put a 2.5-10 scope on a Kimber Adirondack.
>>
>>34297593
The source is forgotten weapons on YouTube. Everyone that belongs here knows that. You're just too lazy to click a couple of times and type a few words and want someone to do it for you.
>>
>>34296738
what are you hunting that you can't hunt with a well placed .308? Serious question.
>>
>>34297293
there is a difference between the modern "backpacker" who walks trails while camping on spring break with their friends and going innawoods
>>
>>34297687
Well if I'm hunting I certainly don't want a rifle with all the quirks, or the price tag of a scout rifle.

The Scout Rifle as I envision it is more for protection purposes, in which case .308 is probably outclassed by heavier rounds.

>>34297696
I know, I'm referring to people who go off trail for 1-5 day hikes. NO ONE here does any more than that and if they are claiming too while armed they're bullshitting.

Even the Northern Trail/Appalachian trail people make regular stops at pre established campgrounds.

>>34297642
Well, if you're on your own property, why not a semi auto? Literally any rifle fits a ranch rifle role.
>>
>>34294934
>geometry
neat
>>
>>34297788
Light weight and full caliber. A 5 pound loaded and scoped rifle is what I would carry.
>>
>>34297788
NO ONE here gets in firefights either
>>
>>34297828
Shooting that prone would fucking suuuuuuuck.
>>
>>34297849
That's the point of a scout rifle. You would rarely shoot it. 99% of the time you carry it, so it's light.
>>
>>34297788
.308 is fine. If you're concerned about protection, multiple .308 rounds are better than a .45-70 shot in lever or bolt. If you're concerned about protection just get a battle raffle. Real talk, what are you protecting yourself from and why are you engaging it from under 100 yards?
>>
>>34297923
A Savage Axis in .308 weighs 6.5 lbs. A 5 lb rifle will have 30% more felt recoil. If you're shooting prone, your body can't absorb recoil the same way it does when kneeling/sitting/standing. That's going to leave a huge fucking bruise with a very low round count.
>>
>>34297978
>very low round count
How many rounds are you going to pop off fixing a cattle fence?
>>
>>34297968
You will get more rounds into bear faster with .45-70 levergun than .308 boltgun
>>
>>34298010
If something like a grizzly starts charging at me, I'm shooting ALL OF THEM.
>>
>>34298017
Right. But you will get more rounds until a bear faster with a semi .308 than a lever .45-70. So if you're looking for defense, you have better options than a .45-70, and the .308 performs way better at range. So either you want range, in which case the .308 scout is better, or you fight bears every day, in which case .308 semi is better.

Use fuddy fie senny if you want but let's not act like the scout rifle is measurably worse because it underperforms in bear battles.
>>
>>34294301

the scout rifle is an outdated concept

semi auto with a 4x scope is the modern equivalent
>>
>>34298206
I didn't read the post nor watch the video, I just saw "Scout Rifle" and had to put my 2 cents in: The Post
>>
>>34298271
we could tell
>>
>>34298341
I can tell you didn't read that all the way.
>>
>>34294366
>tfw used to put a piece of gum on my monitor so I still had crosshairs while bunny hopping around like an asshole
>tfw cs:go can't bring back them feels
>>
>>34298395
>piece of gum
>not two strings of fishing line placed perpendicular, crossing at the center
Scrub detected.
>>
File: Am I Retarded.png (359KB, 665x574px) Image search: [Google]
Am I Retarded.png
359KB, 665x574px
>>34298395
>YFW some guy made shittons of money selling a red LED you stick to your monitor
>>
>>34298395
>>34298432
>>34298433
I was poking around the gaming monitors at Fry's the other day and noticed that some of them actually have a crosshair you can turn on. Kinda seems like cheating to me.
>>
>>34298455
It really is cheating but with no anticheat in the world that can stop it we just have to go in and assume everyone is using it because there's no reason not to.
>>
>>34298035
If something like a grizzly comes at you, why would you be worried about going prone and getting a bruise?

I do think 45/70 is a better choice though
>>
>>34298486
If you're already prone and it's charging?

Yeah, it's not a huge deal for what the gun is meant for, but 5 lbs is really fucking light.
>>
>>34294301
Guy I hunted with a while back had one, and it is a smooth little gun. He took a wolf at 800yds with his, IIRC.
>>
>>34298476
We used to use a piece of scotch tape with a dot from a sharpie
>>
>>34294715
>>34297587

nigga what?
>>
File: 1453937854727.jpg (30KB, 305x283px) Image search: [Google]
1453937854727.jpg
30KB, 305x283px
>>34297968
No shit, but are you missing something here? When the anon says "protection" he means from a bear, or a moose, or some sort of forgotten beast of the Alaskan wilderness. A bolt gun is the absolute worst option to save yourself from 600lbs+ of murder charging right at you faster than Usain Bolt.

>>34298074
>Right. But you will get more rounds until a bear faster with a semi .308
Which a scout rifle is not under any fucking circumstances at all. If we're talking semi-auto whatever the fuck then I pick an AR in .458 SOCOM and tell your .308 to fuck itself. I win.

Meanwhile back in the real world he's not carrying around an MG3 because "hurr it would be better" he's carrying around a .45-70 in a levergun, I have an AR, and I'm sure neither of us care what you have.
>>
>>34294301
It is a bit low power. But if you can headshot reliably, you're golden.
>>
>>34298395
I've always just used a piece of tape and lightly draw on a crosshair with pencil so i can still see shit
>>
File: IMG_0476.jpg (26KB, 1000x213px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0476.jpg
26KB, 1000x213px
>>34297828
.308 isn't full caliber if we're talking animal protection.

A 5lb .308 rifle would be kinda unpleasant for hunting, especially when things like the Savage Axis, Ruger American, and Tikka options exist at a much lower pricetag.

>>34297842
I know this you faggot.

>>34297968
Not entirely sure I'd trust 1 round of .308 to stop a moose or black bear in its tracks.

>>34298074
Semi auto .308s also weigh 10 pounds lol.
>>
>>34294301
I like how Ian mentions how it's more so designed for game than people.

I mean it takes 2 shots to kill a man even if he doesn't have any kevlar on
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.