[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are there so many people out there that refer to the AR-15

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

Why are there so many people out there that refer to the AR-15 as an assault rifle?
>At a party last night
>talk with a few people about guns
>one says he was at the range the other day
>someone was shooting an AR
>ask the guy if he knows what AR means to see if he is smart
>Assault Rifle meme
>proceed to correct him and tell him its Armalite Rifle and everyone who refers to it as an assault rifle doesn't know what they're talking about
>tells me I'm wrong and that's how everyone in the range was calling it
This shit pisses me off to no end
Pic not related
>>
the media.

/thread
>>
>>34291515
>shoots an intermediate cartridge
>semi-auto
>platform has the capacity to be select fire

It's pretty damn close.
>>
File: unnamed.png (24KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
24KB, 300x300px
>>34291515
duh...Assault Rifle-15
>>
>>34291527
>close
Doesn't matter. If "close" mattered, then many cars which are currently street-legal would not be.
>>
>>34291554
How do you categorize civilian ARs, AKs and the like then? Sporting rifles?
Honest question.
>>
>>34291560
semi automatics. but also yes, sporting rifle is literally how they are marketed.
>>
>>34291685
Both are pretty vague famalamadingdong
>>
>>34291515
By definition they are not assault rifles. As anon said however they are pretty damn close. They certainly look the part of their M4 and M16 counterparts and coupled with the fact that all rifles are offensive weapons it is little wonder people associate them with the word "assault".
>>
>>34291515
Video games
>>
>>34291515
Video games, movies, dumb news reporters, and politicians (who know the truth but lie to achieve their goal or are just actually ignorant)
>>
>>34291560
I usually refer to them as carbines.
>>
there's lots of autism here and I'm not talking about me
>>
>>34291527

>Platform
>>
File: What_AR_Means.jpg (70KB, 577x382px) Image search: [Google]
What_AR_Means.jpg
70KB, 577x382px
>>34291560

Modern Sporting Rifle
>>
>>34291515
Because they're fucking retarded
>>
>>34291696
>famalamadingdong

A... are you me?

I thought I was the only one who did this
>>
>>34292157
>a-am I fitting in yet
Platform is a perfectly acceptable term.
>>
Everyone getting triggered because "MUH AR15 ISNT AN ASSAULT RIFLE BY DEFINITION" are silly. There is no concrete definition on what an assault rifle is; all these categories of weapons are made up terms to help identify them. I'm not some ignorant noguns that doesn't know better, and I would categorize an AR15 as an assault rifle. In practical terms, an assault rifle is a semi auto centerfire that shoots an intermediate cartridge. The term identifies rifles that are designed to be high speed low drag (low recoil, lightweight, usually small)
>>
>>34292157
it's modular as shit with a huge aftermarket, yes it's a platform
>>
>>34292568
>There is no concrete definition on what an assault rifle is

>Full-auto/select fire

Fucking idiot.
>>
>>34292496

Im going to the platform store to get ammo for my hunting platform so I can sight it in at the indoor platform range which reminds me I need a platform case for my platform. I might get the June issue of platforms and ammo too. I might listen to platforms and roses too on the way there and wear tank top because sun's out platforms out. There's a highway to the platform range so I'll have to platform it to get there in time.
>>
File: 1444751859266.jpg (51KB, 350x392px) Image search: [Google]
1444751859266.jpg
51KB, 350x392px
>>34291515
>OP found out today AR means Armalite
>Quick, make a thread about it!
Nice try
>tell him its Armalite Rifle
Failed there.
>>
>>34292176
i think that is misleading since when people refer to bolt actions, saigas, and veprs as "sporterized" they usually refer to changes in the opposite direction.
>>
>>34291515
Who ever invited your autistic ass to a party is the one who made an error.
>>
>>34291515
>At a party last night
No you weren't. Why would you go on the internet and tell lies?
>>
File: rTWDmuc.gif (1MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
rTWDmuc.gif
1MB, 320x180px
>>34292844
>(you)
>>
>>34291725
>all rifles are offensive weapons

As are all cars, and hammers, and fists. More people are beaten to death each year than are shot with rifles.

Now, lets hear your views on the Olympic shooting sports; valid competition or gender-insensitive institutionalized racist imperialism?
>>
>>34292856
heh. thats what i came to say. heh

heh

Its A-R-malite, not Armalite Rifle you fuckin dumbass cunt yeah fuck off wanna be smart guy you aint shit unless we're talkin actual dog shit bitch heh
>>
>>34292568
>I'm not some ignorant noguns that doesn't know better,

That's just how you come across.
>>
>>34292978
actually its armalite repeating, dummy
>>
>>34291515
>Why are there so many people out there that refer to the AR-15 as an assault rifle?
Why are there so many people out there that think Hitler killed 6 million Jews?

It is the narrative that has been chosen and it is what people are told. It is easier to accept what you hear or see in the news then to do your own research.
>>
>>34291554
"Close" matters enough for you to schlump vans, pickups, jeeps, OHVs, and anything else with four wheels into the 'car' title.
>>
>>34291725
Technically the rifle marketed to the U.S. Army, which became the M16, was the AR-15. So yes, strictly speaking, the AR is an assault rifle. Civilian versions may not be, but the original was.
>>
>>34293036
It's actually just armalite.
>>
Magazine-fed semi-auto rifle.
There you go - a term that isn't completely retarded.
>>
>>34292975
I think you mistook me. I don't intend to mean they're built solely for hurting people. I mean from a combat standpoint ALL rifles are regarded to be offensive weapons rather than defensive. Which is why you'll see some people scoff when hearing of "defensive rifle" courses.
>>
File: 1497291095467.jpg (45KB, 552x388px) Image search: [Google]
1497291095467.jpg
45KB, 552x388px
>>34291515
That's a purdy gun. Backup irons are a bit shit tho but then I guess they'd need to be high to aim through an aimpoint.

Pic not related
>>
>>34291515
>ask the guy if he knows what AR means to see if he is smart
autist trying to show off
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.