[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best 5.56/ .223 ammo money can buy that will be effective

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: 5.56AmmoFrag.jpg (3MB, 8968x4560px) Image search: [Google]
5.56AmmoFrag.jpg
3MB, 8968x4560px
What is the best 5.56/ .223 ammo money can buy that will be effective out to 300-400 yards (14.5 inch barrel) ?

>50 gr TSX
>70 gr TSX
>77 gr TMK
> 77 gr OTM
>>
>>34282476
Ya need your twist rate laddie
>>
File: IMG_1478.jpg (57KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1478.jpg
57KB, 720x720px
>>34282476
What kind of Babbys first chart is this? Add labels and put the full name next to the acronyms. This is horribly inaccurate btw, M193 is effective out to 200 yards.
>>
>>34282492
Idn, saw it posted yesterday so it made me question what round is most effective.

Its a chart detailing what certain rounds fragment at but idn why all the distances AND velocities are different for the barrel lengths.
>>
>>34282481
1:7/ 1:8 will spin all of these just fine. So which is the best?
>>
barrel length matters
>>
>>34282697
I already specified barrel length
>>
>>34282705
sorry didn't see that part of the sentence. TSX looks good on that chart but why bother with lead free if you don't have to? I have yet to buy into the heaver weights for 14.5, I have always shot 62 or 55 grn out of mine. why is m855 not on that chart?
>>
>>34282749
>why is m855 not on that chart
couldn't tell you. Its not my chart and idn how valid it is. From a statistical standpoint its all over the place.

I was watching some videos and the 50gr TSX creates a massive wound cavity but idn how well it maintains that damage potential seeing as most tests are done at close range.
>>
>>34282758
is 14.5" your first AR? it was mine too, and unfortunately my only (owned for ~10 years). I have not had the chance to shoot anything much longer than that other than 16" and a2 length, and honestly I wouldn't be too confident in performance at 3-400 m out of any bullet from a barrel <=14.5
>>
>>34282476
If you truly want the absolute biggest dick in the room 5.56 round you'll have to load 62gr Scirocco 2 bonded in front of Hodgon CFE 223 and a Wolf SR primer.

Nothing compares in terms of consistent penetration, expansion, and performance on windshields, concrete, and wood barriers.

M855A1 is also a great runner up offering much of the same performance. Same issues with cost and availability.

Of the ones you listed, 50gr TSX runs out of juice and is sketchy in the prairie winds based on my own experience. It also fails to perform against auto glass. It's a great SBR loading though.

70gr TSX is a good load and is probably the best if you don't want to load as it's available from BH. The retention and expansion issues on windshields still exist as I said we the baby 50gr load. No personal experience with TMK but it seems go be holding its own. No knowledge on windshield performance unfortunately.

>mk262
kek. this is the hot load here. look into what the round was designed to do and base your judgment on that. mk262 gets blown away by the majority of LE/hunting loads. It's the least I'd recommend from your list but it is cheap and readily available.

>poorfag bonus recommendation:
Brown Bear 62gr HP. Cons: shit vs barriers Pros: cheap as fuck, expands on hogs and flesh, really it's cheap as fuck!
>>
>>34282476
>effective
Elaborate on effective. Are we shooting bipeds or facsimile targets? With a 14.5" barrel I can only assume you're specifically targeting the M4.

M193 and M855 have a pretty good track record on bipeds, as they're the primary 5.56 actively used to shoot bipeds.

Ask all the rice and goat farmers if they would've rather been killed with a different round.
>>
>>34282476
Any of them.
>>
>>34282897
>correction
TMK is just a tipped SMK. I was thinking of TBBC. My bad. Would not recommend the TMK as it has poor barrier performance as does the smk per GR.
>>
>>34282897
>brown bear thumbs up
i wish someone would say this to make me feel better about the 150 grn 308 2k round purchase of this i made the day obama got elected.
>>
>>34282805
Not my cost I already have a 16 inch AR
>>
>>34283065
I am ready to ditch my 14.5 ie make it my SO's primary for larping SHTF. I would really like to go 18 and mid and then load up on 77 grn
>>
>>34282903
Effective at killing humans. I know M193 works just fine but it can be finicky. It's been reported that even the angle of entry can affect whether or not it tumbles. I'm just lookin for what would be considered the best round to shoot someone with for 0-400 yd engagements.
The 50gr TSX causes massive trauma up close but idn if anyone knows how it performs at longer distances.
>>
>>34283089
>>34283089
Why don't you like your 14.5? Is it preference or do you have some data ?
>>
>>34283128
honestly to try something different. its' never really grouped that well, although i can see it it improve with better loads. 2 peice non-FF rail, welded 1.5" comp, a2 FSB, just not a lot of room to improve it. ready for something new and a chance to get my old lady to come to the range more. I would like to actually take some data but never get out and shoot anymore.
>>
>>34283190
i really just want an excuse to have a stupid long rail with nothing on it.
>>
>>34283190
Oh okay. Idn if that's exactly a result of the barrel length. I got a noveske barrel so it should be wuality
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.