[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do i often see people firing prone without their magazine

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: DCS03170.jpg (141KB, 1037x864px) Image search: [Google]
DCS03170.jpg
141KB, 1037x864px
Why do i often see people firing prone without their magazine touching the ground when using the magazine as a monopod for added stability is a great way to improve accuracy?
>>
File: 1234.jpg (78KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
1234.jpg
78KB, 600x400px
Compared to this.
>>
>>34255636
Some guns (the AR being one) are finicky. Put pressure on the mag or pull it in any direction and you'll cause feeding issues.
>>
>>34255668
>Put pressure on the mag or pull it in any direction and you'll cause feeding issues.
If this happens then your AR is out of spec.
>>
Some people just prefer to have their elbows tucked in further. There are upsides to the first position. You don't as much weight on your chest, you can pivot easier, and if you have a decently strong core you can stand straight up without having to adjust very much or take on your hands off your weapon in order to brace yourself.
>>
>>34255636

Army basic training instructors told us that allowing the mag to rest on the ground was bad because it could cause stoppages and get mud in your mag. Neither is true.

Using the mag as a monopod is indeed the way to go, unless you're shooting from a thick-ass, mud bog, but then you've got other issues.
>>
>>34255782
I agree. I was a rifle coach in the Muhreens. I was supposed to teach people not to do this technique.

I myself have done it. Just try not to apply any downward pressure, let the rifle rest, and you should be good to go.

I think for fundamentals people should try without it, I only did it for rifle quall or times I really wanted a smooth shot. I also recommend if your rifle has rails a collapsible bipod can come in really handy too. Easy to set your rifle down without it laying on the ground or needing to lean it on something.
>>
>>34255668
You're wrong and you should feel bad.
>>
>>34255782
This. Catching a DS' boot to the helmet for doing it one time is more than enough to never do it again.
>>
FWIW, the new Army Rile and Carbine Manual TC 3-22.9 absolutely recommends using the magazine for rifle support while shooting prone.
>>
>>34256144
That's probably because line NCO's got sick and tired of having to re-teach their privates how to shoot in the prone....I did.
>>
>>34255668
That rumor started with the M14 which had problems feeding that way. Rumors die hard in the military.
>>
>>34255636
I legit learned that it could fuck up the feeding, and you should always support your weapon with both arms, or use other stuff for support, resting the weapon on something.
Learned pretty quick that it was pretty bullshitty, and when you go through drills and get tired you more or less end up leaning the weapon on the mag.
It's the same reason why you dont see many people c-clamp their weapon in the military, they eventually get tired and the arm will go down to the usual stance.
>>
>>34255636
Other anons have touched on feeding issues but I feel the answer is more simple.

If you rest the gun on the mag and put a bit too much weight on it the mag may bend and over time be unusable. The forces are known tight asses when it comes to equipment and throwing it out so they stop you from leaning on the mag in the first place.
>>
File: SendraLower-MagWell-1[1].jpg (56KB, 720x538px) Image search: [Google]
SendraLower-MagWell-1[1].jpg
56KB, 720x538px
>>34255636

You'll notice with the BAR, FAL or M14, G36 or AK have a rock-in magazine. It's not that they didn't know how to make a spring loaded magazine release, pistols like the 1911 had done that for decades before. It's because the AR magazine catch is a weak design and prone to malfunction or failure. Instead of leveraging onto a solid shelf, the entire weight of the magazine is held against a small tab in the corner.

Part of the reason why 30 round magazines were slow to catch on was because of the concern about that extra weight being put on that small area damaging both magazine and rifle. The Beta C magazine was another example of a heavy magazine damaging the magazine release.

Nowadays people forget about that in favor of the ease and speed of magazine changes with the AR platform.

Using the magazine as a monopod is discouraged because of the fear of inducing a malfunction or the other issues involved with over insertion of a magazine or putting stress on the magazine release.
>>
>>34255636
Because it encourages good marksmanship if you can shoot accurately in the prone unsupported position. Which then means you're even better in prone supported.

Good fundamentals of marksmanship are key to all good shooting, anon.
>>
>>34255668

Lol bullshit. I was in the muhreenes and they taught us we could do this. Shot the m16a4 as a basic bitch 0311 for years. Sometimes I used this exact very technique and I do it at my own range with my AR and there's no problem whatsoever
>>
>>34255853

>rifle coach

Shut the fuck up lying ass faggot
>>
>>34257900
Not sure what crawled up your little pussy, but don't see why you're sperging or have doubt. Care to explain summerling?
>>
>>34257534
It's always nice to see helpful info being posted. Thanks anon.
>>
>>34256179
it's a change that originated in the AMU and the Army SMU as well as in the AWG CATC course
>>
>>34257534
It's really odd that the USGI aluminum mags don't have an over travel stop, atleast PMAG's have it.
>>
>>34258967

>believing people on 4chan
>>
File: tanaka_arisaka_type99_15_wwii.jpg (113KB, 640x409px) Image search: [Google]
tanaka_arisaka_type99_15_wwii.jpg
113KB, 640x409px
I really like the monopod for the Arisaka 99,should that make a comeback?its litterally just a piece of wire.
>>
>>34255636
Hi faggot why ask stupid questions. do you know what google is..use it.
>>
>>34262532
The Dutch already did that using a foregrip that can also serve as a monopod
>>
>>34262478

Because the US GI mag is STANAG compliant.

Other countries have rifles that have variations in their magwell which is why Magpul released the Emag for use in those rifles. The PMag for its early generations was not.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.