[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I wasn't coherent to understand the 1994 AWB at the time.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: assault-weapons-ban-400x266.jpg (35KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
assault-weapons-ban-400x266.jpg
35KB, 400x266px
I wasn't coherent to understand the 1994 AWB at the time.

What was the gun buying atmosphere like? Lots of weird AWB compliant ARs? Panic buying?
>>
File: think.png (27KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
think.png
27KB, 220x220px
>>34250466

Bump. Would like to know. I was only 12 and too busy playing with my SNES and my parents wouldn't even let me have a BB gun.
>>
>>34250466
No, colt and bushmaster were the only AR available. They just had 10rd mag, no bayolug, or colapsable stock. Sks and Sporterized wasr were popular. Glocks and the like, came new with 10rd mags if bought new. Pre ban stuff was a big deal.
>>
Imagine how fucking crazy /k/ would be if it existed when bush let the AWB die. There would be champagne, dancing, partying in the streets. 9mmfags would literally be crying tears of joy
>>
File: image.jpg (121KB, 750x687px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
121KB, 750x687px
>>34250584
Here in NY our AW law was a mirror of the federal ban without the sunset clause. The ARs weren't that bad because you could still a pistol grip and a pinned and welded brake. With what we already had the New Safe act is basically just a pistol grip ban. Ironically I bought a cucked NY legal rifle right when Obeme first got elected and the new safe registry made it exempt so I rebuilt the lower and added all the baby killing assault grips I wanted. Paying out the nose for shitty pre ban mags was the worst and now we can't even buy those. God I hate this state. Pic unrelated.
>>
I was too young when it passed, but I cut my teeth during the AWB years. A few things to remember.

This was way before the normie internet and the gun culture was much more esoteric. It was not as easy to get people whipped up into hysteria. Only the weirdest gun fags knew anything about it, and the effected guns were no where near as popular as they are today.

Gunfagging in the 90s was like being in a secret club. It was hard to find people. Who knew what the AWB was and how it worked.
>>
>>34250466
no internet forums like /k/ to stoke the fires of panic buying. I was in the Army back then and long about 96 I guess we got some ne mags into the arms room that had the "police and mil use only" stamped on them. I mentioned it to my Captain and he went into the arm room with me and after looking at the post ban mags, took all of the pre ban mags for his personal Beretta
>>
>>34250803

So you're saying the solution is to ban gun forums
>>
Also pre ban mags were the ultimate obsession. Used ar mags went for 30 bucks in shitty condition. New in wrap even more. New colt mags could fetch 80 bucks each.

Pre ban pistol mags could easily go for up to 100 bucks for some guns. People would buy guns based on preban mag availability.

I have seen 30 round 10/22 mags sell for over 100 bucks. Let that shit sink in.
>>
>>34250846

Remember back in 2008/12 when Cheaper Than Dirt would sell PMAGs for 100 bucks a pop?
>>
>>34250846
sounds profitable as fuck. when's the next AWB so I can sell all my old AR shit? [spoiler]just kidding. tfw no spoilers on /k/[/spoiler]
>>
>>34250842
No the opposite. Having gun forums makes it possible for the community to mobilize. In the time before the internet they could pass a gun law without most gun owners even knowing about it. Basically they only knew what the big 3 broadcasters happen to say about it.

As gay as internet gun culture can be, it makes it much harder for lawmakers to back door us, and makes it harder for gun makers to sell us out without suffering for it.
>>
>>34250846
>I have seen 30 round 10/22 mags sell for over 100 bucks. Let that shit sink in.
Anyone living at the time of the AWB will understand the threat of this happening again is very fucking real.

I hoard magazines because they are consumable.
>>
>>34250868
Yeah but that was short term, and even then their were many more reasonable alternatives. This shit went on for a decade, and it was mostly beat to shit 20 year old mags.
>>
>>34250846
Raise hand what about aurplus military mags? I joined in 2008 and maga aren't really controlled items. Did the military control them better back during AWB or was the markets supplied healthily by the US military?
>>
>>34250910
I left the Army in 97 with maybe 10 preban mags? and that was without trying. If I had wanted to I could have left with god knows how many. I was the guy in >>34250804
>>
>>34250910
Their was certainly leakage but remember most of the AWB occupied a time when we had a smaller "peace time" military when the bean counters have alot more time to watch that shit. I have heard my old man talking about "brass exchanges" in which units with extra training ammo would make back room deals to let other units shoot it for training, and afterwards they had to meet and give back the empty brass so the first unit could still account for every last round.

No doubt a ton of the mags walked out of the military, but mostly in the years prior to the awb. We all were mag experts, and what years certain contractors were making mags was well known. It was actually pretty easy to date mags because the government had tended to switch contractors every few years.
>>
>>34250896
>because they are consumable.
not very nutritious though.
>>
>>34250988
And what isn't taken is crushed or discarded, anyway.

My dad was a Chairforce brat during Vietnam and said by the time the conflict had ended, they were throwing away boxes of 20 round magazines, new in the package.

He bitches to this day about how he should have kept a few boxes. I wouldn't see the point other than nostalgia and for collection. It's my understanding that those were designed for one time use only.
>>
File: 1496452699384.jpg (12KB, 480x358px) Image search: [Google]
1496452699384.jpg
12KB, 480x358px
>>34251059
>throwing out a box of could-be waffle mags
>>
>>34250466
I was 11 at the time and the only thing I remember was that East St. Louis was a shithole and the gang problem didn't get any better during the AWB.
>>
>>34251059
>one time use

Naw they are fine. I actually really like those Vietnam era 20 rounders. Those were actually probably colt stamped of of fine quality. New they would have been worth a mint during the AWB. Probably still, coltfags are a special breed
>>
>>34250466
actually it was better than now.
no panic buying and better selection.
I found a pre ban Norinco milled AK for $700
>>
>>34252648
forgot to add, then the republicans gained the house and senate. the economy boomed and the rest is history.
>>
>>34250803
I was told that the AWB was a major bloodbath for the dems in the house and senate in the following elections, is that true?
>>
>>34251083
They destroyed those during testing. Almost non got issued
>>
>>34250796
You actually registered? What a faggot.
>>
>>34250466
The ban was largely superfluous. The ban was written so poorly it was so easy to get around its almost like it didn't exist

It's what happens when you have a bunch of Democrats who don't know anything about guns writing laws about guns
>>
>>34253048
ab-so-lutely!
>>
>>34251456
>>34251059
The earliest 20rd mags were one-time use, but most of them weren't.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.