[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it legal for me to hold someone at gunpoint while I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: 489346.png (74KB, 620x430px) Image search: [Google]
489346.png
74KB, 620x430px
Is it legal for me to hold someone at gunpoint while I'm waiting for the police to arrive if I've witnessed them committing a crime?

My neighborhood has been recently heavily targeted by vandals repeatedly. TP, broken car windows, graffiti, basically the whole book. Me and a couple neighbors were thinking of camping out and waiting for the kids, filming them, and then popping out and use our guns to keep them hostage while we wait for the cops. The reason we will use guns is to prevent them from running away.

Is this legal? I live in Washington, USA.
>>
>>34249604
Just use a taser or pepper spray instead
>>
>>34249604
They can just leave. What are you going to do, shoot them in the back? I think you'd be detaining them illegally.
>>
I'm 90% sure you can't brandish for a misdemeanor crime.

Just film the perps and give the pictures to the cops.
>>
>>34249604
>to keep them hostage while
I think you've stated your own answer here.
>>
>>34249666
This is the law in my state, it has to be felony or you're protecting yourself/someone.
>>
>>34249604
Yes, you get to do this once a year I think.
>>
>>34249666
My neighbor has they wear masks so we can't see them. Also the cops won't do jack shit vmeven though they've done $20k+ in damages to a 6 or 7 block region
>>
Just tell your neighbors you did research and learned it was A-OK but then be conveniently sick the night they do it, so they get the kids busted but also if they do get in trouble for holding them at gunpoint you're not among them and therefor you don't get in trouble

It's a win win
>>
That is literally illegal in all 50 states and is known as "vigilantism."
>>
>>34249694
*even
>>
>>34249604
It's legal to hold someone at gunpoint if they are a threat to you. A few stupid teenagers TPing a house don't count as a threat, and you probably couldn't perform a citizen's arrest for such a petty crime.
>>
>>34249694
>$20k+ in damages to a 6 or 7 block region
That's fucking nothing, of course cops aren't going to do shit.

Just balaclava up, find them, film them, then give them a few bruises and threaten to turn them over to the police if they come back.
>>
>>34249604
Contact a lawyer. Seriously, one of those law firms for CC.
>>
Disclaimer- I am not legal counsel, I accept no liability for any stupid shit you do

Yes, it is completly legal to hold someone at gunpoint if they were committing a violent crime. HOWEVER please drop your gun IMMEDIATELY the second you see red and blue lights or police presence of anykind and kick the firearm away from yourself and the perpetrator(s). Do not make sudden movements, do not throw your gun, simply open your hands and let it drop to the floor, then step on it with your hands in the air and slide it away from you with your foot. You should also be informing the officers with your hands in the air very clearly that you are the one who called. The responding officers will likely have little information other than "man with a gun". Doing anything else is a good way to have 37 gold dots inserted into your torso.
>>
>>34252032
This.
https://m.liveleak.com/view?i=e20_1425607411

Video of the vandalism can be seen in the related section. Bruises teach lessions that actions have consequences. Spank your kids.
Don't beat too hard. Overpowering physically followed by verbal reprimand is enough. Also, contact with Police makes you prime suspects, so do with care, if at all.

Keep guns or weapons of any kind out. Don't even carry them.
>>
>>34251964
What if the TP is like really threatening?
>>
Protip: nonviolent crime sucks, but the police are a legitimate threat to your life even if you aren't black. Holding nonviolent offenders at gunpoint when there are police involved is like driving in front of a speeding truck after seeing someone forget their turn signal. Why the fuck risk getting killed over some street scum?

/k/ vastly underestimates how dangerous the police are if they see you anywhere near a gun. You're in just as much danger from them as you are from an armed criminal. Even more: the police officer doesn't fear getting locked away for life if you die.
>>
Literally just kick the shit put of them its not that hard. Also take the masks off them and photograph there faces. Job done.
>>
>>34249604

Piss filled supersoakers
>>
>>34249604
whoa there buddy.

Friendly reminder that cops will go after vigilantes over any criminal. basically your plan goes successful and the cops show up throw you down, beat your ass, damage your gun, and keep your gun for a few months before they maybe return it while the prosecutor decides how many charges he actually wants to throw at you before a judge decides to make and example out of you while the teenagers who were traumatized by a GROWN man threatening them with a GUN was punishment enough.

Basically if you do anything for justice outside of the court house, keep it completely outside the court house and do not get caught.
>>
>>34252678
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWIjd5-RhUg

Cops didn't fuck with the guy with the gun in that video.
>>
>>34252692
you are not a plain clothed officer.
>>
File: 1489897238187.jpg (42KB, 800x587px) Image search: [Google]
1489897238187.jpg
42KB, 800x587px
“No man survives when freedom fails, the best men rot in filthy jails, And those who cry 'appease, appease' Are hanged by those they tried to please.”
>>
>>34252537
>how dangerous the police are if they see you anywhere near a gun.
Non-burger here, does that mean that even if it is legal open carry is de-facto illegal because cops shoot cop or harass anyone with a holstered gun on plain sight or its just idiots like op who do idiots things like brandish the gun for nothing.
The only reason to pull out a gun is if your life or others is in danger, OP is an idiot.
>>
>>34252839
Burger here, it's the latter. If your OCing in a sling or holster the cops may hassle you but they won't just shoot you from across the street. If you're actually brandishing the firearm in-hand, then it's another story.

Ultimately it depends on the police in that region. Also, if you OC, some crazy liberal or soccer mom may decide to call the cops and say you were threatening people with the gun. There's been a few OCers getting shot by jumpy cops because of those phony emergency calls.

The solution? Fucking CC.
>>
In my state we can kill over property, especially at night. God Bless Texas, God Bless Joe Horn
>>
>>34249604
>a crime

no, not in all cases.

what you're essentially doing is making a citizens arrest. unless youve witnessed them committing a felony, what you're doing is kidnapping someone at gunpoint.

even if they were committing a felony, if you detained them with a firearm for a felony you wouldn't be able to kill them over (agr. assault, attempted murder, etc) you'd probably get in trouble for brandishing, and likely murder if you actually shot them. non police don't have the right to shoot fleeing felons unless deputized, so you'd have no legal way to actually use your weapon.

best bet would be to use a Taser + handcuffs...and youd still want to make sure they're committing a felony before getting involved at all.
>>
Just wear a mask and baseball bat them, tell them if they come back you will kill them.
>>
>>34252853
In solid red and progun states does that happen?
Or all the cases of paranoid fucktard blue-voting cops shooting americans for OC their property are on blue states?
>>
>>34252897
Gun culture in a state isn't always universal. I'm sure it's much more likely to happen in a blue state, yeah, but it could still happen in a red state. I don't know how often of an occurrence it really is, but I do know that most people who OC don't get shot for it.
>>
File: Get_back_to_work_rigby.gif (2MB, 398x300px) Image search: [Google]
Get_back_to_work_rigby.gif
2MB, 398x300px
>>34252872
>>34249604

>http://codes.findlaw.com/tx/penal-code/penal-sect-9-42.html

A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:

(1)if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and

(2)when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:

(A)to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or

(B)to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and

(3)he reasonably believes that:

(A)the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or

(B)the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.
>>
>>34252839
there's certainly no one answer.

Look up open carry demonstrations and cop freaks out about gun and other related searches on youtube to get an idea.

Our laws and law enforcement vary very much. as we're a yuuuge fucking country.

As far as Arizona, I can open or conceal carry a pistol with zero chance of being stopped by a cop because of the firearm.

Once while transporting a rifle from vehicle to apartment without a case and being carried at the low ready. (friend was carrying the gun, he's kinda sperg) a cop in the parking lot was a little pissy about potential police calls. so to appease the cop the rifle was broke down into a less ready looking state.
>>
File: uhT5xTE.jpg (163KB, 500x730px) Image search: [Google]
uhT5xTE.jpg
163KB, 500x730px
>>34252921
OP says he lives in Washington fucktard
>>
>>34252996

I know, hence me quoting the post about how based Texas is versus a cucked state that banned private transfers and will be California tier in 10 years
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.