[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/k/ I'd like to improve my distance shooting skills, so

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: CZ Longdick Style.png (25KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
CZ Longdick Style.png
25KB, 500x333px
/k/ I'd like to improve my distance shooting skills, so I'm looking at getting myself a rifle to learn and what not on.

Shooting paper/ steel, so not really anything moving or need to "knock down", don't currently reload, but I'm considering it, so larger calibers aren't out of the question.

Thinking .22, Maybe .223, .308, 6.5cm, etc
Bolt action, or maybe semi, but I've got other rifles (AR's, AK's, a few fudd .270's but I'll probably just give them to my father).

Suggestions?

Also, general distance/ shitposting thread
>>
>>34235577
.22 if you want to learn basic.

.223 if you want to grow into it.

6.5 once you know what you're doing or start reloading.
>>
>>34235607
On one hand, I could always get new glass for one of my .270's because the ballistics of the round aren't bad, especially against paper.

But another rifle would always be welcome.

As for 22, 10/22 or CZ 455, or something else?
>>
File: 1493958038804.png (1MB, 680x499px) Image search: [Google]
1493958038804.png
1MB, 680x499px
>>34235577
>Doesn't have a long distance gun
>Just some .270s
>Should I get a .22?
>>
>I want to get into distance shooting
>But all I have is this shitty .270
>How can I shoot past 30m if it has a wood stock?
>>
File: 1429502361395.jpg (19KB, 500x500px)
1429502361395.jpg
19KB, 500x500px
>>34235638
I never said I didn't have one

If you could actually read, I said I was going to give those to my father, as he gave them to me as hunting rifles, and I don't hunt much with him anymore.

Your commentary is greatly appreciated, here's your (you)
>>34235661
I shoot fine at 100m, just want to go further, so yeah, I could get better glass (it is capable, of course, but I'd prefer better).

Plus, it's an excuse for another rifle
>>
>>34235577
Ive been thinking about doing this too, but can only afford one rifle I intend to hunt with as well is there a decent jack of all trades ?
>>
>>34235721
7mm08
>>
>>34235721
From the research I've done, Tikka and Savage make pretty good rifles out of the box.

Caliber is up to you, but .308 maybe? Not crazy range, but good within reason.

I've been reading the Remington 700's are going down hill in build quality, and overall quality, is this accurate, or just fuddlore?
>>
>>34235577
270 is great if not the least expensive with factory ammo to get to extended ranges. Some of the slippery 130s are easily 1000 yard capable.

Since you dont reload expect $1.50-2.00 per round for high performance factory ammo that will get you that far, but even basic off the shelf hunting loads are fine to several hundred yards.

The expense of a new rifle will get you a lot of ammo towards what you already have. My recommendation is to just shoot the 270.
>>
>>34235746
That's a good way to look at it, kind of wasn't factoring in ammo.

Maybe some better glass for them. Have an older 700, and a Mossberg 100 ATR that feels significantly more shitty.
>>
>>34235680
Yea but isn't that the point of this post ? You want a good long range bolt gun. 270 is a good long range boolit so you alread have what your asking about
>>
>>34235577
The most important thing to shooting better than you do right now is to shoot with someone better than you. You can not correct your issues if you do not know what your issues are. If you have a posture issue, you will never know shooting by yourself. If your breathing is wrong, same thing.

Before you start looking into advanced rigs, high end ammo reloading and atmospheric condition crap, go out with an old competition shooter. That is what I have started doing and it has made my shooting at least 200% better.
>>
CZ455, a scope that costs as much as the rifle and made for rimfire, and a good bipod.

then you need to find a place that will let you shoot steel targets. steel is a great training target. since you can see and hear if you hit it. when you can hit that steel at any distance, every shot. then you can move on to paper targets and start measuring how tight your groups are and how off from point of aim they are.
>>
>>34235577
If it took more than one shot, you weren't using a Jakobs!
>>
I'm with OP here, I want to get my feet wet with precision shooting. I would also like to be able to take something innawoods. So my criteria are: lightweight, but good up to 100 yards, and minor stealth (308 is a little too loud).

I've been considering purchasing a bolt-action .223. Mostly for cost feasibility, a 20 round box of decent ammunition still costs around $7 at my lgs.

Savage makes some decent looking .223 bolts. In particular the 11/111 series has caught my eye. They are scope ready, and some come stock with a threaded barrel (innawoods perk). Also, of course, accutrigger.
>>
>>34236936
You could do far worse OP.
>>
>>34236959

Thanks based anon. I'm still open to suggestions.

I figured I'd shitpost my two cents in a somewhat relevant thread.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.