[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a muzzle loader ramrod cup end broke off in bore because

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

File: 1481593464836.jpg (19KB, 608x342px) Image search: [Google]
1481593464836.jpg
19KB, 608x342px
I have a muzzle loader
ramrod cup end broke off in bore because of a thick patch.
I tried compressed air and it didn't blow out

I have one option and one option only, to shoot it out.

There's about a 3 foot air gap between the nipple and the ram rod (it's less than 5 inches from the muzzle), what kind of a charge should i put in?
>>
You should try a fucking dowel
>>
>>34235152
Yeah, tell me how a dowel is going to move a seized rod?
I'll be making fucking firewood out of that dowel.
>>
>>34235152
Disregard, forget not all barrels are the same, try hydraulically with water
>>
>>34235138
just pack as much smokeless gunpowder in there as u can and set it off
>>
>>34235138
Have you tried using a vacuum?
>>
>>34235138
i'd try a worm before i went that route
>>
>>34235165
This is one of those guns where the breech plug goes in and it's there for life.
It may be possible to unscrew it with industrial machinery but that's out of my reach.
>>34235184
I ain't no woman.
>>34235187
It was a steel rod. I don't think no worm will cut it. to give you context, the whole rod snapped off the head and it didn't move and inch. It's in there but good.
>>
>>34235194
in looking around this seems like the best idea
>After a while, someone suggested threading in a grease fitting, and use a grease gun to push it out. It WORKED

2-3000psi, available parts, low risk of making a pipebomb
>>
>>34235219
yes but the thing is:
>>34235194
>This is one of those guns where the breech plug goes in and it's there for life.
>It may be possible to unscrew it with industrial machinery but that's out of my reach.

That plug is not coming out, i'm not the Hulk.
>>
>>34235219
gunpowder results

>DO NOT try to use powder to blow a stuck projectile out of the barrel of a muzzle loader unless you know what you are doing. This is a common remedy used by some people to get a bullet out when they put the projectile in with out putting powder in first. You must use a small charge and extremely important, drive the projectile down firmly on top of the powder. If you do not have the projectile on the powder, with the air space, you can get extreme pressure and rupture or ring the barrel. What normally happens the first load of powder is not enough to get the projectile clear out. They load in more powder through the flash channel and forget to drive the projectile back down on top of the powder. Two things can happen. 1- you still have a spark and get a explosion while loading. 2- You rupture or ring (bulge) the barrel. Neither a good thing.

>My Thompson popped out the jammed cleaning jag with a tiny bit of powder put in under the nipple and then fired. Sometimes had to add a little more a time or two. Be sure to point in a safe direction. Plus, do this at your own risk as I am not a gunsmith.

>I use an aluminum rod now that I drilled a hole through the end so I could put a 16d nail through it to give me something to grip if this should happen.
>>
>>34235238
i think you do it through the nipple hole, if that guy could get his breech plug off he could have just pounded the obstruction out.
>>
>>34235247
This is what i was looking for, thanks.
>>
>>34235138
That's what you get for using an antique replica instead of a modern one that'll offer ease barrel access from both sides.
>>
>>34235264
further reading leads to lots more "don't try to shoot it out"s and that water or blackpowder solvent poured down the barrel might loosen it up enough to blow out with compressed air.
>>
>>34235335
I can't get a seal with compressed air and it's a patch that's stuck, not fouling unfortunately.
>>
Had a similar situation, used compressed air out of a bead seater through the nipple (removed and threaded in directly). Took a lot of little random pneumatic/pex/fish tank type parts to make it work.
>>
>>34235508
gib
>>
>>34235396
getting the patch wet loosens it up
>>
>>34235869
I did try that, unfortunately the patch is too dense.
>>
>>34236300
final option is to solder a drill bit into a brass rod so that you can drill it out without hitting the sides of your bore
>>
>>34236816
Good idea. If that doesn't work i'm truly boned.
>>
Probably not advisable, but I don't have patience. I've had a stuck rod a couple of times that was going nowhere. The biggest conundrum is when there's an air space, that's the dangerous part.

If it were me, I'd take off the nipple, put in about 5 grains of black powder, cap it and shoot. I wouldn't be so concerned about such a small load of powder doing any damage. Your risk, though.
>>
>>34237138
I was going to string it desu but now i lost my damn powder measure.
>>
>>34236846
Uh....how's it going?
>>
>>34237417
Haven't done anything yet, it's too late in the day plus it's fucking 95 degrees.
I'm going to attempt to blow it out tomorrow.
>>
pls update us on the results OP
>>
>>34237453
If the thread is still around tomorrow i will.
>>
https://youtu.be/tbFKSy9oA0A

grease gun hydraulic pump. hammer the obstruction back as far as you can to avoid air space and use hydraulic fluid.
>>
https://youtu.be/6fVJP7oYAjc
>>
>>34235138
Try blowing it put using water (remember to dry though after) then, is you can tie some string to the end of a screw and see if you can screw the screw into the rod and pull it out. Then if that fails, try to fire it out using just the primer/priming powder. If that fails, take the barrel out of the stock and cook it in a fire. Burn that sucker out. I would seriously not recommend shooting it out with powder. That rod is not worth your gun or your life.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.