[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can 308 accelerator with a saboted m855 defeat level IV ceramic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0002.jpg (27KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0002.jpg
27KB, 480x360px
Can 308 accelerator with a saboted m855 defeat level IV ceramic armor say out to 100 yards? I've been looking looking all morning and can't find info.
Could real fucking NATO make a comeback?
>>
Does that load exist? Send some to Demolition Ranch and maybe they'll shoot it for you.
>>
>>34234148
Go hard or go home, get some M995 and load that shit to +pipebomb+.
>>
>>34234148
Probably not M855. M855A1 would have a better chance. However, I don't think the penetrating power 5.56 has against steel applies to ceramics. 5.56 is so great at defeating steel body armor because it moves extremely fast. When it hits steel it dumps so much energy into the steel in a short amount of time in such a tiny area that the internal structure of the steel fails before the bullet finishes decelerating and before the steel has time to dissipate the energy. This causes a circular slug of steel to pop right out the back of the plate along with the rest of the bullet. When you add steel penetrators it enhances this effect. Steel armor relies on the compressive, tensile, and elastic strengths of steel to deflect and deform projectiles without the plate breaking.

Ceramics don't rely on elasticity. They use the sheer compressive strength of the material to rapidly deform the projectile and, since the material shatters, all that energy disperses into the dust, and the crate it creates serves only to better catch the projectile. I think the key to defeating ceramics is a combination of speed, mass, terminal stability, and a projectile that doesn't deform easily.

So, just bullshitting here, like a copper jacketed, solid steel 7.62x51 with a large tungsten penetrator. With the tungsten for mass and the steel acting as a sabot for the tungsten.

Or just use a 50bmg.

>>34234798
The Wound Channel would produce a much better test.

He's done a couple of tests on level IV ceramic plates. They handily stopped m193 and some 7.62x39 FMJ and just barely stopped .338 lapua FMJ.
>>
>>34235099
The thing about steel is that as long as you don't exceed the velocity threshold it can take a RIDICULOUS amount of abuse, I've seen AR500 take 90+ M855 and M193 at 100M with no penetration while a ceramic is dust by the third hit.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.