[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So for a long time I've been brooding over the NFA rules

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1277.jpg (89KB, 477x358px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1277.jpg
89KB, 477x358px
So for a long time I've been brooding over the NFA rules for destructive devices and how I don't want to pay the government for the privilege of owning a true antimaterial rifle. The limitation in the NFA is any firearm with a bore over .5". This limits the power by limiting the weight of the projectile, because you need to keep a minimum length/bore ratio in order to spin stabilize a projectile.

Then it hit me. We could make a drag stabilized .50 cal and have as much projectile weight as we want.
>>
Or just get an existing >.50 caliber weapon under the hunting exemption.
>>
>>34228189
How would one go about doing that? Also, what can .577 Tyranukeus penetrate? Modern armor is pretty tough, isn't it?
>>
>>34228173
Wow you're so unique no one ever thought of that.
>>
This has got to be some kind of bait attempt. The entire point of whats being said is flat out stupid as generally anything that wont get destroyed by a 50 cal will probably take an RPG at minimum to disable. There is a reason the anti tank rifles and such didnt see use much past WWII. They were absolute garbage after tanks outpaced their penetration.
>>
>>34228222
I never said no one thought of drag stabilized projectiles. I'm just saying the concept hasn't been pushed as a workaround to the NFA rule which effectively limits the energy potential of civilian owned weapons.
>>
>>34228226
Not a bait attempt. Look, there are still recoilless rifles fielded, right? This could get us into that energy level legally.

Btw, I'm not saying this thing has to be man-portable. I'm just thinking it would be cool if civilians had access to powerful weapons.
>>
>>34228285

>This could get us into that energy level legally

Not really possible with a .5 diameter restriction especially if your going for 100% legal as you wouldnt even be able to use an all steel core to increase weight as its not legal everywhere i believe. In the end to get the weight needed you would have to have something absurd like a 3 inch bullet or longer which simply wouldnt be stable or sturdy enough to survive flight. Then you would have to add the length of the case to that. Then build a chamber and barrel to house it that wont explode. Then find something to haul half a ton of metal around.

Or you can buy a cellphone and rig up some homemade explosives for a roadside IED like a sane person would instead. If you need to kill something thats somewhat armored your probably fighting the people making the laws so fuck the laws.
>>
>>34228258
The reason is mostly because of what >>34228189 said. If you're going to make your own gun or projectile, you don't even necessarily have to register it as a DD just because it's >.5".
>>
>>34228581
And don't forget shotguns, which no one has ever thought of before.
>>
>>34228226
Who said anything about tanks? Anti materiel rifles are for taking out things like radars or unarmored vehicle engines.
>>
>>34228595
Bull barrel shotguns. For maximum accuracy with birdshot, of course.
>>
>>34228496
>like a sane person would instead
>sane
>in /k/
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.