[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is .22wmr or .22 mag so rarely used and so expensive? How

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

Why is .22wmr or .22 mag so rarely used and so expensive?

How can a rimfire caliber that is slightly longer than .22lr be twice as expensive? Why are there so few semi auto rifles chambered in that round when it outperforms .22lr by a lot?
>>
>>34218331
You must be 18 to post here
>>
>>34218331
Because .22 is designed to train and unless you're massively poor you'll switch to an intermediate or large caliber after you're done plinking.
>>34218557
Also that, mods pls.
>>
>>34218331
22wmr and 22mag do not do well fed from a magazine. there was a cool 22wmr AR rifle that came out a while back, but it was so prone to feeding issues that the manufacturer was actually suggesting you lube the cases.
>>
I was about 2 nanoseconds away from buying a taurus 10rd revolver until I saw it was chambered in .22mag
>>
>>34218583
22mag and 22wmr are the same thing.

And it does just fine feeding from a mag, what are you talking about? I can't even think of a 22wmr that isn't mag fed.
>>
>>34218642
Besides a revolver of course
>>
>>34218597
....just load it with 22LR
>>
>>34218331
Economies of scales, driven by market. It's the same with shot shells, 12 gauge is the cheapest while being the biggest, because of the sheer number of the ammo demand & supply. .410 bore is the smallest yet has far bigger expenses.
>>
>>34218884
that's not good for the gun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlE4jjFsMOU
>>
>>34218884
It doesn't work that way, its a different chamber size. Youll get ruptured cases and gas and particles back in your face.
>>
>>34218929
You're right and I get your point, but 12g isn't cheaper than 20g or .410, its priced the same, and yea you're getting less for your money but it doesn't cost more.
>>
>>34219030
EVERYTIME I see .22 mag mentioned I get angry for this reason.

DON'T GIVE ME THAT BULLSHIT THE CASE WOULD BE TOO THIN IT'S A HEELED BULLET
>>
>>34219985
please elaborate on what you mean?

that guy gave pretty irrefutable evidence that you shouldn't do it
>>
>>34220036
I mean in terms of .22 mag not being the same dimensions as .22lr. You should be able to shoot them no problem save some leading issues like in .38/.357 lever guns and revolvers
>inb4 muh lawyers
FUCK YOUR LAWYERS THERE IS ALREADY A BIGASS BILLBOARD ON THE SIDE OF MOST GUNS NOW IF RETARDS CAN'T GET THE HINT THEN THEY DESERVE TO BLEED OUT FROM A BLOWN UP GUN AND I HOPE THEY DO
>>
>>34220084
Look at the evidence, it warps the .22lr round and the muzzle velocity varies by a LOT.

They aren't the same
>>
>>34220113
I know they aren't they SHOULD be, I'm mad at the developers of the round.
>>
>>34220210
Guns SHOULD be free?

what are you even talking about
>>
>>34220234
What? I'm saying there should be interchangeability between .22 WMR and .22LR like .38 and .357 magnum.
>>
>>34220256
This is so pointless, the sky should be green because I said so
>>
>>34220281
How would having one gun for two cartridges be pointless? I'm betting that's why it never took off like it should have.
>>
>>34220297
the argument is pointless
>>
>>34220317
I wasn't arguing, I was bitching. I can bitch about a lot of things.
>>
>>34218331

The .22mag simply doesn't have much firepower. Its got "ok" velocity but overall its like a 9mm round.

Velocity is bad news for hunting small game like rabbits and squirrels. That causes meat damage. The .22lr is just fine for hunting them.

If you want to step up in firepower, in the old days you would be using something like 44-40 or 22-250.

After the .223 got popularized by the M-16 that started becoming an intermediate round to step up to beyond .22lr. So if you're going to upgrade beyond .22 the next step up is pretty much .223/5.56mm.

Another mention is the .17 caliber rounds like the HMR. Those are .22mag cases necked down to .17 cal and they are getting mighty popular. That velocity combined with a flex tip is just plain devastating to varmints, functionally does up close what a .223 would do, as it pertains to a critter anyways. And its nothing to laugh at as a defense round in a revolver either.
>>
>>34220210
It's just a different cartridge. Yea theyre both rimfire and called .22, but It's like saying I wish .222 Remington would work in a firearm chambered for .223 Remington. Theyre just different.
CCI stingers vs regular 22lr are more akin to .357mag vs 38spl. The case on stingers is longer. And you get 1.75x the velocity.

Nothing is stopping you or anybody else from developing a magnum 22 cartridge in which firearms can be chambered in, that also chamber 22lr.
>>
File: 4.3 inch barrel 22 mag.jpg (80KB, 729x532px) Image search: [Google]
4.3 inch barrel 22 mag.jpg
80KB, 729x532px
>>34220446
What are you on about, .22 mag is way better than .17 for defense.
>>
>>34220559
>nothing is stopping you from creating a multi million dollar ammunition plant and convincing dozens of firearms manufacturers to chamber ANOTHER .22 rimfire after making a multimilltion dollar investment

I mean, I wish but I also wish my old boss isn't dead and I wish I could bring him back to life.
>>
>>34219633
I don't know but here a 25pcs clay ammo box can be found for 4€ bulk purchased.
Absolutely nowhere near .410,double or more the price of 12ga
>>
>>34220442
So go fucking design one then if it bothers you so damn much. When many people have several .22s because they're under $200 nobody gives a fuck about penny pinching on a .22wmr.

Oh and remember why Ruger dropped the WMR 10/22
>>
>>34219633
Here 12 usual beats 20 buy at least a few cpr. 2-5 cents isn't much, but the gap between 12 and .410 can easily be 20cpr even for cheap stuff. I've purchased 12g buckshot for 25cpr. Not target loads, 00 plated buckshot.
>>
>>34218331
.22mag is a fairly old cartridge that has a sort of weird place in the world somewhere between .22LR and the smaller .22 centrefire cartridges.

I used it a lot growing up on rabbits, foxes and the occasional kangaroo and it does a decent job on them, mostly because its a very flat shooting round compared to the .22LR and at around the 200m mark its still got enough sting in it to deal some good damage. On something like a 22LR its dropping about 3ft (or close to it) and the 22mag is about maybe a foot and a half and its still quite reasonable in a light crosswind.
In the shorter ranges is also quite good, it holds supersonic for longer before dipping back into subsonic, so it also scavenges a bit of accuracy there as well compared to the LR
>>
>>34221599
Because it cracked bolts I believe.
>>
Because .22lr is the most popular round in existence. It's plentiful and fun to shoot because no recoil. .22 mag is way better IMO but .22 is objectively the best "let's go shooting" round. Can't compete with that.
>>
Not as cheap as .22 for plinking/training/introducing people, not as effective as .223 for actually killing things. Its in a dead zone.
>>
>>34218331
Well ya see OP the answer is simple...reliability...but not for the reasons you think.

Dipshit morons think rimfire ammo from Wal-Mart is as good as any so they buy that and half the rounds are duds...this is because people are fucking stupid. But you're on 4chan so human retardation should be obvious.

No mind if you buy quality ammo it will rarely if ever misfire (cci comes to mind...I've shot thousands and never had a single failure.) but these fudd fucks aren't going to pay more than bare minimum for rimfire so the myth of unreliability is perpetuated.

Basically rimfire is regarded as sub standard due to dumbfucks
>>
>>34223870
I've fired about 5,000 .22lr out of value packs in the past few months and not had a single dud
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.