[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does it bum anyone else out a little that revolvers are now completely

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 6

Does it bum anyone else out a little that revolvers are now completely antiquated and inferior to semi autos as a weapons platform?

(besides bear defense if you really want to stretch it)

Revolvers have an incredible aesthetic but they just are so less practical in a defense situation as an EDC
>>
Revolvers doctrine is pretty easy for new shooters. Also, they're pretty simple to operate and maintain. Also seeing as they can handle harder hitting cartridges and most civilian involved shooting are resolved in 5 rounds or less, a revolver is more than adequate to perform.

As for EDC, they make revolvers pretty light weight and not as bulky, but... with an auto, you can have more capacity and a slimmer profile.

They aren't as antiquated as people think.
>>
>>34214040

>whinging

Noguns euroboy detected
>>
I sometimes want to buy, shoot and carry a revolver since they're so fun but yeah. Too impractical since I carry a Glock 19.

One day, I'm buying a 642 tho.
>>
>and most civilian involved shooting are resolved in 5 rounds or less, a revolver is more than adequate to perform.

Go ahead and bet your life on it.
>>
>>34214050
>>34214066
>>
File: IMG_20170530_143414558_HDR.jpg (133KB, 1040x585px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170530_143414558_HDR.jpg
133KB, 1040x585px
>>34214066
I do every day.
>>
>>34214074

Christ mate, tell me that is just your granfathers old piece and you use it for sentimental reasons... how absolutely irresponsible
>>
>>34214066
this. You're fucked if you so happen to have to shoot two attackers

Good luck trying to get a reload in too. Good fucking luck if you have a malfunction as well.
>>34214074
That's great. You don't have a holster and despite all that dumb shit, you don't have a flashlight. That thing is talisman and you're 99.99% unprepared for a legitimate deadly encounter.
>>
>>34214086

But muh higher powered cartridges and no need for magazines also martial artists who can grab your semi auto and take it out of battery in time
>>
>>34214025
why do you want to use tiny baby bullet
>>
>>34214086
(you)
>>
>>34214086
>Doesn't notice the flashlight right next to the vape

It's like summer doesn't even try.
>>
>>34214074

That keyboard... the watch... the tarnished mistreated wheelgun

You just scream fucking autism mallninja, i hope your parents know you keep that in the house
>>
>>34214025
I would rather carry a revolver innawoods than an automatic. They are easy to maintain and they can fire more kinds of ammo than an automatic can.
>>34214086
>malfunction
>revolver
Way more likely in an automatic.

Fuck off with your tacticool bullshit, what matters most in a self defense situation is your training, not your gun.
>>
>>34214096

>bait

But say that to a hollowpoint .45 buddy
>>
>>34214103
They do, as I finish work at my neet job and use my lunch money saved up for a cheapo revolver I got for $15 to be badass and cool. Post your EDC.
>>
>>34214111

No one said that, OP just says that automatic is the superior weapons platform and it absolutely is.
>>
>>34214124

Not dumping all my shit onto my desk, those EDC threads are stupid. I carry a glock 39 concealed when I am out and about. I own a multitool but I do not carry knives or any of that shit and my phone has a flashlight
>>
>>34214125
For everyday carry? Probably, but a revolver work just fine though and the police used to carry single action six shooters not that long ago and they would face situations way more challenging than the average person. What matters more is knowing how to use a gun, rather than what gun you are using.
>>
>>34214116
bullet is twice as big, I only need half as many, its like science
>>
File: 1490361067175.gif (4KB, 231x300px) Image search: [Google]
1490361067175.gif
4KB, 231x300px
>>34214100
>It's like summer doesn't even try.

Woops. Missed that. I typically don't register things that look like butt plugs to look like flashlights. How many lumens is it? A whopping 50 I say?
>>34214111
>Way more likely in an automatic.

pfft, read my post dickhead. >>34214086

https://youtu.be/j4BBr4wUSIg?t=254

>Fuck off with your tacticool bullshit, what matters most in a self defense situation is your training, not your gun.

Oh look, he's using "tacticool" as a buzzword because he's too retarded to properly articulate himself! Does black plastic trigger you? Grow the fuck up.
>>
File: 001.jpg (41KB, 562x437px) Image search: [Google]
001.jpg
41KB, 562x437px
>>34214132
Confirmed No-funs
>>
>>34214141

K
>>
>>34214086
I can shoot two attackers with two bullets. How about you?

This post is everything that's wrong with /k/ - putting equipment over practice and believing that magazine capacity or muh stopping power is an adequate substitute for being able to reliably hit what you're shooting at.
>>
>>34214136
>Grow the fuck up
hahahahaha
I bet you're the kind of guy that would say .22lr can't be used for personal defense. The fudds might be on to something.
>>
>>34214153

Again nothing you said there at all makes refutes the fact that a semi auto is the better weapon. I can hit two attackers with 4 bullets each, so what is the problem there?

Just because you can hit someone with the gun you use does not make your gun the better weapon.

>>34214154

Technically you could use 22 but I just would not use rimfire anything for self defense honestly
>>
>>34214111
>>34214136

innawoods or wilderness is still a legitimate reason to use a revolver, if you need to shoot a charging bear you wont get more than 2-3 shots off anyway and they are more reliable + durable
>>
I wouldn't use a .22 either but it can be done.
It's the same thing with revolvers.

Training > Equipment
>>
>>34214025
Honestly, i don't think anything that has a mechanical/manual action and their own integral magazine will ever be truly obsolete since they don't require the recoil of the cartridge and a removable magazine to fire the next round.

Plus, when it comes comes to pistols, there really aren't many autoloaders that can reliably cycle anything bigger than .44 Magnum. Furthermore, guns where the mag well is the grip are pretty limited in how big they can reasonably be.
>>
>>34214181

Which OP pointed out right in the first fucking post. But in that case you could argue a rifle or some hot and heavy 10mm

No one is saying revolvers are not decent lead slingers, they just are an inferior weapon compared to the semi auto. It would be like a lever action rifle vs a semi auto
>>
>>34214153
Carry a two shot derringer then. What's the matter? Why do you need 5-6 rounds? Are you really that bad?

Why don't you just use your fists? You surely couldn't call yourself a man if you have to resort to using a gun to win a fight.
>>
>>34214191

Post did not say obsolete, simply outdated and not as good as what has come after it comparatively.

>>34214191

What do you need larger than .44 magnum for? If you say bears then you miss the entire point.
>>
Revolvers are good for urban youths to do drivebys without losing their shell casings tho
>>
>>34214192
>rifle
A revolver is a bit easier to handle.
>lever action vs semi-auto
There are legitimate use cases for wanting a lever action. One is that they usually fire pistol cartriges so you could theoretically share ammo with a sidearm which can be a logistical benefit.
>>34214212
>What do you need larger than .44 magnum for?
Skinwalkers.
>>
>>34214074
>ibm model m but shitty razer naga mouse
why did you mix good taste and shit taste, anon?
>>
>>34214225

>A revolver is a bit easier to handle.

Not by much, a rifle carries more and is far more stable for follow up shots on whatever you think you will need.

>One is that they usually fire pistol cartriges so you could theoretically share ammo with a sidearm which can be a logistical benefit

Which really makes zero sense in this context that you would use a lever action with pistol ammo in conjunction with said pistol, but in that case there are plenty of ARs that do the same exact thing.

Revolvers are just inferior to semi autos, but are nice guns for having fun at the range regardless.
>>
>>34214235
Cause I'm a disgusting casual fag. Also, it was a gift and I'm too lazy (and poor) to buy another mouse.
>>
>>34214235

Because people tell him what is good and what is not.
>>
>>34214238

That would explain the piece of shit gun.

But I hope things start looking up for you man, land yourself a sweet gig doing something you enjoy for good money and get yourself a H&K, you deserve it
>>
>>34214245
Things are looking up, found a better job, saving up for a trip, and unfortunately, I got my eyes on a W. German SIG P226 my best friend's dad is planning on selling soon.
>>
>>34214250

Niceness, so long as you are doing well and getting better then everything is just great

Sig is a solid choice as well
>>
>>34214025
Bigger boolits
Fixed sights & barrel make for some good ass accuracy
>>
>>34214271

Still inferior
>>
>>34214276
>have .44 mag
>put a fucking baseball-sized hole in a man
>inferior
k
>>
>>34214066
It's more like 2 or less in the cases where it actually does involve shooting, with the *overwhelming* majority of situations playing out with your perp skedaddling the fuck out of there as soon as he sees your gun, before you can pull the trigger once.

Statistically, I would be just as safe and sound with a Ruger Blackhawk .44 with RNL or an old COP Derringer loaded with .38 wadcutters as I would a Glock 17 or M&P Shield with Gold Dots or Safety Slugs

There's a reason that 5 shot .38 snubs are generally considered viable for carry, it's enough to matter, and the odds of ending up in a shootout are silly tiny, even in a shit place like Cleveland.
Anything higher in power or capacity comes down to personal preference, carry what you want, as long as it's not some Ring Of Fire deathtrap or Röhm junker in .22 Short, you're green.
>>
>>34214282

No. Go away.

>>34214288

So then that settles it, revolvers are viable weapons as they have always been however the edge goes to the semi auto in pretty much every single way.
>>
>>34214282
It'll fucking work for sure but you could get the same practical result with a .357 or 9mm

I'm all but certain that flashing a Dirty Harry kind of gun would have a little bit of extra intimidating effect though, especially if you address a perp as a punk.
>>
>>34214295
Yes, it's a gun, it's intimidating, it goes bang reliably, the bang penetrates enough into a body to matter, it's a gun you're confident in; all this means you've made a good choice.
>>
/THREAD

SEMI AUTOS WIN
>>
File: nutnfancy-chris-crocker.jpg (31KB, 448x336px) Image search: [Google]
nutnfancy-chris-crocker.jpg
31KB, 448x336px
>>34214066
>>34214086
Unironically kill yourself
>>
>revolvers can't shoot as many boolits
>they are oooooold
>i have literally no idea how self-defense scenarios play out
>there are pros and cons to every situation
>maybe autoloaders and revolvers are effective enough to be used in carry situations
>NOPE GOTTA PICK A SIDE

This isn't some "/k/ sure is summer" post I just... fuck like yeah if I'm in a modern military I better have a fucking autoloader but for personal carry as a civilian the difference is negligible.

How many times has the difference between life and death been how many bullets you can shoot or how fast can you reload?

Fuck I hope everyone who carries an autoloader because "revolvers are old and le meme" dies in a horrible accident where they forget to rack the slide and pull the trigger a bunch of times on an empty chamber.

Fuck I own literally 1 revolver and 5 semi-autos and I'm mad as fuck that this bullshit still persists to this fucking day.

No I don't think OP is serious and NO OFFICER I HAVEN'T BEEN DRINKING
>>
I actually take what I say back.

If you are some nofuns moron who somehow came into some money and decided to get a pistol I would say get a semiautomatic. For exactly one reason.

You are gonna point at the problem and you are gonna pull the trigger. You won't aim, and if you try to you will miss. You will pull the gun out, point it near the problem, and you will magdump and you will feel like you are winning.

With a revolver you get 5-8 shots on a magdump but with a semiauto you might get as much as 16 or so and maybe one shot will accidentally get them in the leg rendering them unwilling to continue robbing you.

Autoloaders win if you are a fucking moron who buys a gun and never practices with it so you can magdump further. That is all.

NO OFFICER I AM STILL NOT DRINKING I THINK REPLYING TO THIS THREAD IS OKAY SO LONG AS I SAGE MY REPLIES
>>
>>34214328
I honestly like my option of cocking the hammer for a quicker and smoother trigger pull. It's still an option for people who aren't strong enough to rack slides or for those with arthritis. It's just a different operation for a tool with the same end result.
>>
>>34214328

Semi automatics do not have more bullets so that you can shoot more, it is to keep you in a position where you do not have to reload.

Revolvers are weapons, semi autos are better weapons. This is your life and the life of your loved ones we are talking about, it is worth increasing your odds on a better weapon.

And sage don't work buddy
>>
>>34214342
>Semi automatics do not have more bullets so that you can shoot more, it is to keep you in a position where you do not have to reload.

I'm fucking dying laughing thinking of how long it took you to come up with this

SEMI AUTOS DON'T HAVE MORE BULLETS SO YOU CAN SHOOT MORE IT'S SO YOU CAN STAY ON TARGET AS YOU SHOOT MORE

also sage works are you fucking with me? you are, but could you try a lot harder?
>>
>>34214025
>revolvers are now completely antiquated and inferior to semi autos as a weapons platform

SF around the world still carry revolvers, I'm pretty sure it's not because of aesthetic reasons.
>>
File: 1489115569506.png (70KB, 2024x1432px) Image search: [Google]
1489115569506.png
70KB, 2024x1432px
>>34214407
>I'm fucking dying laughing thinking of how long it took you to come up with this

Tom Givens explains this in this post. You would actually know this if you read this thread instead of barging in with your stupid ass posts.
>>34214136

Go away you greasy fedora tipping faggot. Adults are discussing a topic you know very little about here.
>>
>>34214476
>adults
>/k/
How new are you?
>>
>>34214478
Nobody's laughing, you're not witty. You're not a comedian.
>>
>>34214480
>he replied
wew
>>
>>34214476
don't have an argument

misdirect to some fucking rando who teaches firearms techniques

sage still fucking works YOU MIND ADDRESSING THAT

NO YOU DON'T

Because I've been using this website for years and I know sage works

I will barge into every thread but you're a fucking useless piece of shit that DIDN'T RESPOND TO WHAT I SAID

Yeah I said it you DIDN'T RESPOND TO WHAT I SAID because doing so would require you to defend your bullshit but you can't

You'll post claiming I didn't read the entirety of the thread and some bullshit you posted because you can't articulate the ideas on your own

Kill yourself. With a gun. Now you'll starve to death spending all your time figuring out which gun has the best potential for suicide. Which is fucking fine by me.

And yes I saged this post. Congrats. You tricked me into replying without bumping this thread. YOU WIN. No one will see your ignorance if this thread gets bumped out of existence... but I know you are watching...
>>
>>34214025
Double action revolvers are idiot and stress proof.
A scared housewife can still down a robber with a 38. special by hysterically pulling the trigger and pointing the gun in his general direction.

They also don't send shells flying all around the place.

They are less practical in a gunfight if you're a trained shooter, but for gun newbies they're perfect.
>>
Lots of retardation in this thread
>>
>>34214025
For a service weapon, yeah, they're obsolete. For hunting, home defense, and self defense, they're still a perfectly capable platform.
>>
>>34214086
>That thing is talisman

Kek
>>
>>34214025
anon, th....there still good as a b-bb...back up gun right?
>>
>>34214025
They're not. A person shot with a revolver will be just as dead as if you shot him with an automatic pistol.
>>
>>34214025
>that lock
>8 shot cylinder

gross

revolvers need to go away
>>
Sooo much butthurt over a fucking revolver carry what you want if you train with it and are comfortable with it then you have a good chance of getting through a bad situation with it,if you don't train enough or properly then it doesn't matter what you have, you'll fail
>>
Regardless of the actual survivability, I'd still prefer to go downs gun blazing with a cowboy style single action sixgun than all tacticool semiauto, sorrymuh capacity fags, but style wins over practicality every day
>>
>weapons platform with respect to a revolver
>doctorine with respect to general use

These words have officially lost all meaning
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.