[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So my dad and I went to a gun store today. The goal was to find

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

So my dad and I went to a gun store today. The goal was to find a handgun for him to buy. He had his mind set on some new Beretta, the APX I think.

Anyway he asks one of the guys behind the counter if they had any. Turns out our home state Commiefornia won't import them and a bunch of other guns on my dad's list of wants because of a few restrictions that the companies (understandably) don't want to have to deal with.

Right now, he's down to either a Beretta 92, which he had when he was younger, or a Springfield XD with a 5 inch barrel. I'm not really good with handguns, so when he asked which one I'd go for, I was kinda at a loss.

Can anyone suggest one over the other, with reasoning that will make sense to my fudd-ish dad? I thought I remembered hearing a lot of bad shit about the XD for reasons I can't recall. Also,
>inb4 move
Not an option.
>>
>restrictions

It's not that beretta doesn't want to sell the APX in California, it's that they can't because of gun control regulations. Look for any gun that came onto market past 2013 at your gun store - they won't be for sale.

I don't like either the 92 or the XD, but I think the XD sucks worse. Your dad doesn't need your opinion to pick between two guns.
>>
>>34211152
You're right he doesnt need my opinion, but he asked for it. Thought I'd pass the buck to anonymoose strangers on a Chilean tree picking forum.

Why does the XD suck worse?
>>
pick the Beretta 92
if only because it looks sexy as fuck.
>>
>>34211070
Both XD(assuming you mean XDM and not older XD) and beretta 92s are good guns.

What does he want it for?

Is he a dumbass?
>>
>>34211175
I'd tell him to go with what he's familiar with. If he's had prior experiences with the M92, then that should be his pick over a new pretty sub-par striker gun.

The XD is known for having a shitty >GRIPZONE
Also, from what I've handled, the trigger is kinda garbage for a striker pistol, as well as the cost of magazines and accessories is more of a pain in the ass when comparing the two.

Why he hasn't decided to go back to something that works really well and what he's familiar with already is beyond me, unless he'd like a new range toy he's inevitably gonna sell real fast.
>>
>>34211762
Home defense. Not a dumbass but like I said, sort of a fudd. Still calls mags 'clips.'
>>34211811
This is what I was thinking as well, but as far as I can tell his past experience isn't really a swaying factor.

For price, the XD is 150 bucks cheaper and comes with a locking case, 6 mags, and some cleaning supplies. Beretta comes with 2 mags.
>>
>>34211863
If it's for home defense he should spring for an M9A1 or similar railed version. WML are very nice to have for an HD weapon.

XD(m)s are honestly fine guns, and the mag deal there running these days is pretty swell too. be warned, K does harbor an irrational hate for them.

When it comes down to it you guys should really rent/shoot both and decide based off that more than anything.
>>
>>34211070
git himz nindee do blz
>>
File: XD45Mod2SubCompactFlatDarkEarth.png (886KB, 1200x909px) Image search: [Google]
XD45Mod2SubCompactFlatDarkEarth.png
886KB, 1200x909px
>>34211070
Representing the stupidity of this nation that is Virginia!

Googled "largest gun store in california"
Found lagunstore.com
Let's see what they have online...
OK, enough of that.

Gotta guess at your dad's wants
But it looks like he's into full size 9mm duty guns
And a fan of Beretta
Beretta 92 and Beretta APX are his preferred

LA Gun Store does sell
* Beretta PX4 (keeping with the brand)
* S&W SD9 VE CA $400
* Some Kimber and Sig 9 mm all over $1000

For other than 9mm calibers:
* Glock 22 $570 (.40 cal so if he's set on 9, might not work)
* Springfield XD40 $500
* Some pricy .45 as well

My personal favorite and the one I'd get if I didn't already own a couple myself
* Ruger GP100 4" .357 magnum $770 (Very comfortable shooting .38)

Another notable home defense gun worth considering!!!
* Mossberg 500 Tactical 8 shot $450

And here in my Virginia ignorance thought Commmiefornia limited shotguns to 4 rounds

For 9mm I recommend the S&W SD9 VE CA compliant

For 40 get the Glock or Springfield.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
If they have Glocks in 9mm and Springfield XD9, it would be a toss up between those two and the SD9 falls off the list.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A disclaimer: I already plan on buying all three at next gun show: XD9 Mod.2, XD40 Mod.2 AND XD45 Mod.2, all three in sub-compact and in flat dark earth. Pic related.
>>
>>34211811
You're obviously talking out of your ass and never handled a XD. I much prefer it to glocks, never had a jam of any kind. Mags are plentiful and cheap 18 rounders from mecgar. Quality is at least on par with glock but no gun niggers like to talk shit about things they never handled
>>
>>34211811
>>34214819
I agree
Sounds like he's never picked up an XD
Grip zone just plain works
Plenty of grip at finger tips too
>>
If he really wants a pistol that doesn't have BS 'safety' features and was made after 2013 when they decided new pistols need to incorporate a technology that literally isn't real, he needs to drive out of state to buy it.
>>
>>34211070
Neither.

Save the money and move to a less-shit state.
>>
>>34211811
This guy doesn't know what he's talking about, he's just spewing memes. The "GRIP ZONE" dumbshit is only on XD mod 2s. The XD trigger is great. It's short, crisp, and has a short reset. The 92's trigger pull is very long and has a lot of creep with a very long reset (i.e. pretty terrible). The 92 is an older design and overall shittier gun, but tell your dad to buy the 92 because Springfield Armory are a bunch of faggots.
>>
>>34215378
I buy Rugers with 17 round mags
I buy S&W with or without locks
If Springfield's apology is sincere and the lobbyist was a rogue DNC operative, why boycott?
>>
>>34215437
I'm just not ready to forgive.
>>
>>34211070
those fuckers should have all packed guns and shot that nigger and his nigger lover boy friend

the faggots the bunch of them
>>
File: 1305206278735.jpg (171KB, 840x709px) Image search: [Google]
1305206278735.jpg
171KB, 840x709px
I've 25,000 rounds through my Glock 17, probably did 8,000 rounds total through my various Berettas, I've a few magazines through the XD 9 & 357.

Th XD trigger is fairly sucky compared to a Glock with - connector, but still manageable.
The Beretta trigger can run 16 pounds in double action, 6 in single. If you fit a reduced power hammer spring from the D model this drops to around 12 and 5.
A stock XD should be around 5 to 7 pounds out of the box. This makes a big difference for first shot accuracy. The shorter trigger pull should also help in keeping the sights aligned through the break.
I used to be a very good shot, a national team member. I could nail the A zone from the holster at 35 yard rapid with the Glock,
After a few thousand rounds with the Beretta I shot an IPSC state level match. Clear misses at 25 meters when under pressure trying to shoot double action.
In a home defense scenario the pressure is greater.
That said there are guys who have won the American IDPA nationals shooting Berettas. If your dad goes the Beretta road, have him read this and google the relevant YouTube videos:
https://pistol-training.com/articles/fear-not-the-double-action-shot
>>
>>34215544
If they will let him dry fire, have him assume a two handed grip pick a spot on the wall, close his eyes then bring the gun up on target. Upon opening his eyes, i the gun is pointed the target, not up or down, then it has the correct grip angle for his natural grip.
Then have him squeeze the trigger, not too slowly, but not jerking it. If the sights remain aligned through the trigger stroke, then he has a winner. If they go off he will have a miss in a life or death situation.
If he goes the Beretta, here is how to change the hammer spring: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItIVFNj15mE
>>
>>34214646
Holy shit thanks for the reply. He's pretty set on 9, I'm gonna get him to at least hold a few Glocks and try that out.

>>34211811
Literally have only heard the opposite like >>34214819 and >>34214908 said.
>>34215378
This is helpful. I'm mostly worried about the trigger. I know Springfield blows but the gun makes sense for him I think.
>>34215596
I will have him try this. Much appreciated.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.