[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Besides roughly monthly range visits, I like to go shooting in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 12

File: babbygun.jpg (24KB, 950x371px) Image search: [Google]
babbygun.jpg
24KB, 950x371px
Besides roughly monthly range visits, I like to go shooting in the National Forest a couple hours from where I live. Normally just shoot whatever pistol I happen to be carrying, but sometimes I itch to shoot a long gun. Been thinking about getting something like pic related, or maybe an AR-7. Does anyone have experience forest-plinking with either? The only thing that makes me hesitate about the Chiappa is the single shot break action, I'm not sure if it would bother me. If the action is smooth I feel like I would enjoy it the same way I enjoy racking a slide or working a bolt. If it's gritty or cheap feeling, probably not. The AR-7 is a contender as well but I've heard accuracy is an issue. Again, not the end of the world, I'm not a huge accuracy freak and it's more about the fun of shooting a little target.

Sorry to drone on, basically I want advice on these and any other takedown 22s. Keep in mind I'll be using it hiking, so weight and packability is a big concern. I normally shoot for an hour or two but hike for a couple dozen hours over a few day trip, so a gun that takes up too much room will end up staying home.
>>
>>34202543
Why can't you just get a real rifle and sling it over your shoulder? I've hiked miles in the mountains doing that. If you want a 22, get a CZ 455. They are excellent rifles.
>>
>>34202562
Personal preference. I'm not ultralight by any means but heavy things get left behind. If a couple hours of shooting leaves me carrying around a 10 pound rifle for 50 miles, it's not worth it and it'll stay home (keeping my 10/22 company). I know these aren't great guns but they're niche guns, and I want a gun to fill a niche.
>>
>>34202631
If you buy a Henry-made AR-7 (not a Century Arms version) and feed it quality ammo, it won't let you down.
>>
>>34202543
>Shooting in the National Forest

One of the things I hate about this state. No public land to shoot on.
>>
>>34202661
Does it feel good? I mean I know it's a $200 piece of plastic, but is the trigger/action decent, is it fun to shoot? I'm really leaning back and forth. Probably going to jump on the Chiappa tomorrow unless people talk me into the Henry, but I'm not against buying both eventually given how cheap they are.
>>
>>34202675
State?
I felt the same way until I remembered West Virginia (possibly best Virginia?) is about 2 hours drive without traffic and Monongahela National Forest allows recreational shooting.
>>
>>34202631
I still don't think it's a good idea. May as well just carry a damn rifle.
>>
File: IMG_1826.jpg (503KB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1826.jpg
503KB, 1632x1224px
A friend of mine owns an Springfield M6 scout, I'm pretty sure that's what it's called. He takes it with us on moose hunts because when we show up at our cabin we have to kill squirrels. I've shot it many times and both the .22lr and .410 it shoots are very accurate. We shoot the .410 if we see a ptarmigan or grouse. It folds up pretty good and fits on a bag. I say get something like it.
>>
>>34202543

I had an AR-7, and it was a fun little plinker. However, I also had a 10/22 and over a period of time, I was shooting the Ruger most often--especially after getting a scope and reliable hicap mags--and the AR-7 ended up in deep storage until I sold it to a friend.
>>
>>34202727
Wow that's really cool looking. I'll look into them, it sounds like a really fun gun to mess around with. Trigger looks a little strange though, did it take long to get used to?
>>34202713
Like I said, I don't need another heavy rifle. If I'm going backpacking I won't take it with me. I want a cheap, fun gun to shoot in the woods. I'm not using it for self defense or hunting, I have my sidearm for defense and I'm not into hunting.

Side note, does anyone happen to know if squirrel hunting is regulated in WV? Google told me juvenile squirrel season is in the fall but nothing about adults. I don't go out looking for squirrels but if I saw one and felt like dropping it, it'd make me feel better to know I won't get my wallet raped by DNR.
>>
>>34202708
NC
>>
>>34202631
>10lbs
If you know where to look you can find lever carbines under 5lbs, as well as breakdown bolt actions at 5-6lb's. Even lower if you opt for non-repeaters
>>
>>34202810
>Trigger looks a little strange though, did it take long to get used to?
Yeah. You have to take up some slack then it fires. The very first time I shot it I nailed a squirrel. They don't make them anymore though and the newer ones came with a trigger guard. I also shoot quite a bit in the woods and it's not so much the added weight it's the crawling around and having the barrel getting hung up on everything.
>>
>>34202841
Okay, some recommendations? That's sort of what this thread was for. If a little extra weight makes for a much better gun, I'm game. Would still really prefer if it fit in my bag. Don't like spending tons of money on non-defensive guns either, so staying under $400 would be preferable.
>>
>>34202631
Lever action Rossi carbine
Single shot Thompson Center (breakdown) carbine
"16 pencil barrel Rem or savage or Mossberg in .30 or .223 with a plastishit stock
Pistol caliber carbine or Glock carbine (Can go 10mm and there are legal options that aren't NFA)

Or you know a light AR-15
>>
>>34202867
see >>34202872

Lever action Rossi Carbines (Ranch hand) are under 5;bs and stupidly handy, only realy need a polishing job, come in .38/.357, .44spl/.44mag, and .454

Thompson Center single shot breach loaders and Ruger no.1's can be made light as ever loving fuck and Thompsons esp come in every caliber under the sun.

And yes you can roll an AR carbine to be sub 5lbs
>>
>>34202867
The rossi carbines are at the lowest NFA limit in terms of barrel length and overall length - they are pretty damned small - but not breakdown guns.
That said they can easily be thrown into a scabbard mounted on the side of your bag (i'm not sure how big your bag is)

AR's and Thompson carbines can obviously be broken down.

You can also get a convertible over-under (Thompson has made some) so you can have a shotgun and rifle barrel in case you don't like the idea of popping squirrels out of trees with a .223 that will travel 2000 meters
>>
>>34202543
Ruger 10/22 takedown
Neat little rifle.
>>
>>34202872
>>34202900
>>34202948
Another concern is ammo weight. I already bring 3 loaded mags for my pistol (plus more for target shooting), part of the idea of getting a breakdown 22 was that the lighter ammo would make up for the weight of the firearm, and give me something a little different to shoot. AR is out, I don't need or really want another, Rossi looks nice but I'd prefer it to fit in my bag (60 liter Gregory pack). The Thompson seems interesting, but when they say tap out retaining pin, how involved is that process? Would rather not have to bring tools or end up losing internals. Sorry if I'm sounding super critical, I have reservations about the "survival" style rifles as well but given that they can be had for less than $200 it's pretty easy to give them a pass.
>>
>>34203025
I'm not sure if a captive pin is stock, but you can get captive retaining pins for Thompsons. The process is not involved at all.
As for ammo weight, look at it like this. If you were carrying a .223 bolt action (at 4lbs) how much ammo would you take along with you?
>>
>>34203025
If ammo weight is truly a concern, to the point where you don't want to lug say 40 rounds of .223 or .38/.357/.44/etc

Just get a .22 magnum (semi/bolt, etc) or .17HMR (bolt/break action only).
You'll get more utility out of .22mag and .17HMR than .22lr
>>
File: G12-SP13.jpg (54KB, 700x349px) Image search: [Google]
G12-SP13.jpg
54KB, 700x349px
>>34203118
Not really looking for much utility to be honest. The gun is going to be a toy. I don't think the extra ammo cost for 22 mag or 17 hmr really offer any benefits when you're neither hunting nor a distance shooter.
>>
>>34203197
>Not really looking for much utility to be honest.

Than why are you carrying it hiking in the first place? .22mag and .17hmr isn't exactly expensive and both are much more versatile in what kind of game they can take
>>
>>34203197
>Rhodesian Jungle
i want to know more
>>
File: IMG_0431.gif (252KB, 447x415px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0431.gif
252KB, 447x415px
>>34202543
>be Chiapa
>make a bunch of really high end single shot rifles in 22lr and 22 hornet
>ultralight backpacking break actions are the only ones NOT chambered in 22 hornet
>>
File: 1495695456512.png (532KB, 500x363px) Image search: [Google]
1495695456512.png
532KB, 500x363px
>>34203245
Did you read the thread? I like plinking in the woods. I want a light 22 that folds or breaks down small because shooting a handgun gets old sometimes.
>>
you need a 22lr for this task (hike in plinking), and i would agree with this guy as probably the best option >>34202994
>>34202994
with probably also an AR-7 and marlin papoose in contention

either that or get a nice light little .22 pistol/revolver
>>
>>34203118
not OP but 40 rounds isnt enough for hike in plinking. if im going to shoot for a couple hours i want a couple hundred rounds. its easy to carry 4 or 5 boxes of 22 in your pockets, and even more if you have a pack or bag. for plinking where you have to walk or hike any significant distance .22 is the best. plus its not as loud and far less likely to draw the attention of game wardens if you just want to be left alone
>>
>>34203307
I carry a pistol anyway, not much point unless I got a long barreled revolver, which I may look at. 10/22 takedown and the Marlin both look nice, but I'm kind of sold on the ~2 pound rifle gimmick, even if the 10/22 is obviously a better gun. Also I already have one with a wood stock, I just don't like having a rifle on a sling while walking around.
>>34203287
Never shot anything in Hornet. How does it stack up to .223 in terms of felt recoil, noise, things like that?
>>
>>34203355
It's a good hunting round for small game feels like 22 wmr but much more powerful, thou not close to 223. If anything it's a bridge between 223 and 22lr
>>
File: IMG_5193.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5193.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I've shot pistols, rifles, AR's, shot pistols, .22's, and now I'm shooting sling shots. Just buy a sling shot and cut out the middle man.
>>
>>34203355
>
well the point is its a .22. i presume the pistol you carry anyway is not a .22, so the ammo to hike in with would be annoyingly heavy

nothing wrong with having 2 pistols on your hip, or keep the .22 in the light day pack
>>
>>34202994
What this guy says. 10/22 TD.
Since you have a 10/22 already you already have mags and parts
>>
>>34203275
Google it you shit. Half bird in the front, buck in the back
>>
>>34202543
Savage makes a really good O/U in 22LR or 22WMR/Mag with a .410 bottom that can shoot Magnum loads.
>>
File: j4_finished_dismantled.jpg (99KB, 1243x445px) Image search: [Google]
j4_finished_dismantled.jpg
99KB, 1243x445px
Guess I'm feeling like sharing this week... having posted pics of my latest .22lr takedown rifle in a couple of other threads. But what the heck appropriate to a small degree here though not practical from a shopper's perspective since I'm not selling. But this rifle is 32oz scoped and 13" long for the action and barrel, 1950's Weaver B4 scope is 12", suppressor is quiet with 10 k baffles, rolls up in a small cloth tool roll. Fits in my pack so I hardly remember it's there, but when I'm out hiking and want to do some plinking I remember. Very fun to figure out all the little details. Tricky to shoot accurately at such light weight but I'm getting used to it. Minute of squirrel accuracy... at about 40 yards.
>>
>>34202900
Isn't Thompson now owned by the Moonies?
>>
File: j4_finished_right.jpg (57KB, 1280x295px) Image search: [Google]
j4_finished_right.jpg
57KB, 1280x295px
>>34203542
>>
File: 1481383544746.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1481383544746.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>34203542
(Assuming that's carbon fiber on the barrel) isn't carbon fiber terrible for heat dissipation? Does it cause any issues or do you foresee it causing any issues? Really good looking project, finish looks very professional. I remember seeing something somewhat similar called a Pack-Gun but I heard it was garbage, even by the standards of things like the AR-7.
>>
>>34203581
I initially considered using a rotating loading setup like the Pak Rifle but it just bugged me too much, wanted a bolt. Mine is a single shot, like the Pak or the Little Badger. So no real heating issue. The chamber plus about 1/3" is soldered into steel. After that the decent quality CF 2mm walled tube is glued on with steel filled JB Weld. It's solid. Just a Redman's 1:16" barrel liner. I've put about 500 shots through it without problems. Strictly subsonics though. I'm confident in my layman's engineering ability up to there, but fear CCI Stingers or similar might cause problems with the mild steel construction. JB Weld is rated up to over 500°F and the CF tube is good to about that as well. But the chamber never even gets coffee warm with my typical rate of fire, maybe a shot every 20 seconds at most.
>>
A short clip showing a friend firing the takedown rifle. http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/quietoldfart/media/j4_test_zps9a9wwfa3.mp4.html?filters[user]=139071429&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0
>>
>>34203432
Are those gloves Ironclad brand?
>>
>>34203654
Nice. I have a nice woodshop set up in my garage but I've been thinking of getting into metalworking, nice to be reminded of the kind of things I could work my way up to.
>>34203537
Are you talking about the Model 42? That's one I'd like to get a good look at in a shop. Unfortunately my LGS has a terrible long gun selection. There's another about 45 minutes away I'm going to drive out to tomorrow to check out.
>>
>>34203432
A friend of mine had a pretty nice slingshot when I was younger, I've been thinking about getting myself one. Any suggestions on a good entry level slingshot?
>>
>>34203875
>entry level slingshot

buddy

they are fucking slingshots, show me an enthusiast one and I will laugh my ass off.
>>
>>34203863
All I have is a tiny TAIG lathe, threaded parts (7075 and 6061 aluminum, mild steel) are tapped and died by hand, using the lathe to help with alignment with simple jigs. Not easy. A proper metal lathe would be awesome. But I'm a woodworker and not committing to big tooling like that for a mere hobby. Wanted a gun like this since watching The Jackal in 1972. Now I have mine.
>>
>>34203860
Yes
>>34203875
Mine is so old I don't remember who makes it. I'm thinking on getting a good one or making one. The real key is round rocks.
>>
>>34204031
Ball bearings and glass marbles both work well. Watch for ricochets of course. Best for distant targets.
>>
File: glock 19.png (97KB, 428x336px) Image search: [Google]
glock 19.png
97KB, 428x336px
>>34203898
>>34202543
so what do you just find a place to leave the trail and set up targets?
>>
File: DSCN9647.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN9647.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>34204129
I use mainly river rocks. Sometimes I can find ones that are pretty round.
>>
>>34204215
LO fucking L...

a fucking laser on a slingshoy, now i've seen it all.
>>
File: 20160922_155845.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20160922_155845.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>>34203875
build your own and use theraband gold as rubber.
pic related my setup
>>34203898
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLxnNP-ycVQ
>>
>>34202727
ayyy just got one of these, parkerized as well. and i shoot in national forests, dispersed camping masterrace
>>
>>34202543
I have an AR7 and I've never had a problem with it. Great sights for short or medium range shooting, rarely has feeding issues, compact, easy to assemble and disassemble. They got kind of a bad reputation because the older models had problems but the new ones are great.
>>
>>34202691
I would really get the Henry. It was designed by Eugene Stoner so you know it's good. Semi-auto with 2 mags makes it much more fun than break action imo.
>>
>>34203581
Forgot to mention the finish, since you commented on it looking good. I'd tried baking 'appliance epoxy' paint previously and it was certainly a durable finish, but the gloss was bugging me. Actually had this finished with black epoxy initially. But then I found VHT engine block paint. It's supposed to be good up to 600+ degrees (not hugely relevant) without needing to be baked to achieve a tough finish. It's got a slightly metal-flake sparkle to it which gives the impression of a 'pearl' finish, not quite matte, but close enough to look good and not take fingerprints in handling like the glossy stuff. I've put it on a few things since and find it just as tough as baked epoxy paint.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.