[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would be a good affordable basic AR-15 I could get? I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_4669.jpg (76KB, 1400x425px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4669.jpg
76KB, 1400x425px
What would be a good affordable basic AR-15 I could get? I'm looking at the Ruger 5.56, but I'm not certain.
>>
So I guess these threads are a weekly thing now?
Ruger is a shit. Go with S&W or Delton. Andersons and bushmasters arent bad either but you will get flack from all the keyboard operators who say theyre bad.
>>
>>34196830
What's wrong with Ruger?
>>
>>34196850
Im not sure, that just seems to be the consensus here..
>>
>>34196816
even cheaper is for you to get off your lazy ass, and buy a PSA upper and lower kit, a 10 dollar vise and an 8 dollar set of punches and rubber mallet from harbor freight and build the goddamn thing yourself. you will learn how to field strip your rifle while saving 150 bucks. You're welcome.
>>
>>34196861
Bull fucking horseshit.
Ruger is consistently upper-mid-tier. For a basic budget AR you can't go wrong.

That said building one yourself lets you set it up the way you want to. For instance PSA has midlength pencil barrel uppers for $200ish now. I don't know of any budget prebuilt ARs that have pencil barrels.
>>
>>34196861
Nothing. The "consensus" comes from anons still being assmad about stuff Bill Ruger said 20+ years ago even though he isn't running the company now, hasn't in years, and the people who do run Ruger now are solidly pro-2A.
>>
>>34196927
Not OP but I don't know how I want it set up because I've never owned an AR
>>
>>34196963
This is the catch 22 of /k/
>>
File: 1495475525796.jpg (40KB, 640x228px) Image search: [Google]
1495475525796.jpg
40KB, 640x228px
Literally the perfect AR here.
>>
>>34196816
The AR556 is alright, it's basically on par with the M&P15, which has all the same features and setup (more or less).

>>34196830
Ruger is gr8, faggot, I challenge you to find a company better at investment castings than them.

>>34196861
No it isn't, and that's a really terrible way to conduct yourself by the way, be more of an individual, please.

>>34196939
Or for the fact that Bill is fucking dead.

>>34196963
Honestly you could go to a store and handle one, see how you like it.
I'm personally not that fond of the generic A2 style of furniture that so many guns come with these days, but some are fine with them.

>>34197074
That's nice, but OP isn't building one, he's buying one.
>>
File: PSAPNG.png (74KB, 350x172px) Image search: [Google]
PSAPNG.png
74KB, 350x172px
>>34196816

PSA freedom because midlength gas system
M&P 15 because Jerry miculek likes it and on mine the only hiccup it had was with a usgi mag with out an anti tilt follower.
Springfield saint because midlength gas system and bcm furniture from the factory

I have an mp-15 lower with a PSA freedom midlength gas system stainless steel barrel
>>
Is barrel twist really important for a basic ar15? I want a basic AR to familiarize myself with, and I don't know how much I'd need or want to shoot heavier stuff.
>>
>>34197248
It doesn't really matter for the average shooter, typical off the shelf guns will be just fine for typical off the shelf ammo.

It's more with longer range shooting you'd want to get particular with that, having the perfect twist with the perfect bullet weight, to get that extra tightness in your groupings.
>>
http://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-15-05/rifle-kits.html?manufacturer=8&upper_barrel_length=1380&upper_caliber=1369

Buy any stripper lower and assemble or just put together your own. Id recommend a barreled upper however. It can be difficult to assemble an upper.

Go with a nitrited barrel. They'll last longer than chrome lined without the accuracy problems of chrome. A full length top rail can be a nice investment and is cheaper than buying something you don't like just to replace it later.
>>
>>34196816
I bought PSA "blemished" parts for around 650.
650 for a premium FN barrel with chrome lining, Mid length AR.
And I couldn't find any blemishes besides a dinged up charging handle.
>>
File: orig.jpg (124KB, 1398x916px) Image search: [Google]
orig.jpg
124KB, 1398x916px
>>34197248

1:9 can stabilize 50-60+ grain
1:7 can stabilize 62+ grain

So if you'll be shooting m855 exclusively the 1:7 is fine

If you want to shoot m193 and different .223 Remington loads the 1:9 is fine.

But if you're shooting, say, max range of 100 yards at the range any 1:7 or 1:9 with any round is fine.

Don't get a .223 rifle though because shooting 5.56 through it can harm the chamber over time.
>>
>>34197303
.223 only chambers are pretty uncommon these days though, and guns featuring them will generally be very clearly advertised as such.
>>
>>34196816
I'm in the same boat OP looking at the ruger because I've had good experiences with their customer service for my 10/22. Not really ready to go for a build since I have no idea what my preferences might be just looking for a basic AR to learn on.
>>
>>34196816

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-midlength-5-56-nato-1-7-phosphate-classic-gray-freedom-rifle-kit-516445289.html

or

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-mid-length-5-56-nato-1-7-phosphate-gray-moe-freedom-rifle-kit-77932977.html

Then buy a lower from somewhere else (maybe local gunstore to support them) and an armorer's wrench for like $15 and you have your own rifle for around $500.

I'd choose the first link if I were you. Classic furniture in grey is sexy.
>>
File: lightweight_0709.jpg (29KB, 1023x424px) Image search: [Google]
lightweight_0709.jpg
29KB, 1023x424px
>>34197202
Building an AR out of a lower and an upper is basically the same as buying one.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.