[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Im getting mixed reports on the effects of bi-metal jacket rounds

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_1276.jpg (366KB, 1200x1005px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1276.jpg
366KB, 1200x1005px
Im getting mixed reports on the effects of bi-metal jacket rounds on non-chrome lined barrels. Is there a considerable increase in wear if the two are used together? Got a yugo sks which are not chrome lined, and i shoot cheap shit bi metal wolf ammo. It is a minor concern considering i got the sks for $300 but it just got me thinking how much of this is true? Is it a marginal increase in wear or a noticeable one? If one has a non chrome barrel, should one need to shot both non-corrosive and fully copper jacked ammo? Or is it just a situation where yes it does wear quicker, but will still outlast you?
>>
Lucky gunner did some ammo test a while back and the wolf ammo ate through barrels in just a few thousand rounds. I think it may also have something to do with the abrasive powder and the rate of fire they tested at though. Still, the non-wolf outlasted it by far.
>>
I shot out an unlined AR barrel in less than 3k rounds using bi-metal Tula. Take that as you will.
>>
I think it's more of an accelerated wear if you are mag dumping but not as much of an issue with normal fire. The cost difference will apparently pay for a new barrel before you notice an accuracy degradation in any case.
>>
>>34189305
That test was interesting, but what bothered me a lot about it was that the final barrel life count wouldn't be entirely accurate. Mag-dumping the entire time will greatly increase barrel wear thanks to the enormous heat stress. Shooting at an average pace (such as if you were at a range or shooting cadually) would drastically increase barrel life.

Now I'm not complaining because they mag-dumped the whole time, I wouldn't expect anyone to try and burn through 10k rounds shooting at a slower pace in a reasonable time, and I'm sure that you would still get the same proportional barrel life seen with each ammo brand, but I wouldn't take they numbers they got as gospel.
>>
>>34189305

To be honest, I wouldn't worry about it. Like some other posters are talking about, Lucky Gunner tested Tulammo, Brown Bear, Wolf, and Federal out of four identical Bushmaster AR 15s. Granted, these rifles had chrome lined barrels, but after 10,000 rounds in each, the barrels were cut and inspected and the steel cased ammo carbines showed increased throat erosion while the gas port was worn more on the federal carbine.

So long story short, it will wear out the rifle faster, but 10,000 rounds is an awful lot of shooting. If you don't shoot that much, I wouldn't worry about it.

With that said, Fiocchi 7.62x39 shot excellent groups out of my chinese sks, so brass cased ammo makes up for the price in other ways.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/
>>
>>34189309

Tula is probably as bad as it gets but the barrel may well have had issues at that kind of round count. Are you positive it was shot out? Sometimes fouling can be so bad that it looks like wiped rifling.
>>
>>34189492

I think the 10,00 rounds really has to be remembered. A hell of a lot of people won't shoot 10,000 rounds total in a decade, much less through just one gun. If anything it should show people even their $400 mix master AR is likely more durable and long lasting than they give it credit for.
>>
>>34189514
Tula smells like shit but from what I've heard it runs flawless in the Russian and early Type 56 SKS rifles. My SKS was made in the Tula plant and I've heard those things were made to shoot that shit indefinitely.
>>
File: ak.jpg (676KB, 1325x2109px) Image search: [Google]
ak.jpg
676KB, 1325x2109px
Personally, I'm more concerned with which ammo does the least damage to steel targets, and which causes the least amount of jacket fragment splash-back.
>>
Op here, so what do you guys think? Should i just keep running the same cheap ammo, or invest on solid copper? The extra cost may not be worth it all things, In the long run.
>>
>>34191422
cheap shit, there's no reason to go thick jacket FMJ. You're not dumping 10x 30rd mags; your barrel will be fine for far longer than you'll shoot it, especially with the slower 7.62x39
>>
>>34191422
Personally, I am ok with my saiga not lasting forever. Still gonna use tula, even after looking at that lucky gunner study. Might buy some brass in bulk and see if I notice anything.
>>
>>34191422
The money you'll save with steel could buy you a whole new SKS
>>
>>34189514
Yes. It was cleaned after every range trip. It was key holing every round. It was done.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.