[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The intermediate cartridge belongs in select fire weapons only.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

File: ZXC10-Z-F2-L.jpg (116KB, 1800x656px) Image search: [Google]
ZXC10-Z-F2-L.jpg
116KB, 1800x656px
The intermediate cartridge belongs in select fire weapons only. Using a semi automatic weapon with an intermediate cartridge is an oxymoron and a waste.
>>
>>34188250
How interesting anon. Why don't you take this post to facebook, I'm sure they'll be fascinated
>>
Why?
>>
So, .223 Remington isn't a varmint round?
>>
File: retard.gif (881KB, 200x232px) Image search: [Google]
retard.gif
881KB, 200x232px
>>34188250
great argument, you've really got me convinced
>>
>>34188250
Intermediate cartridges were a mistake in the first place.
>>
>>34188250
You forgot the other reason for intermediate cartridges other than more fire down range, which is being able to carry more ammo to last longer.
>>
Which is why basically every military that uses an intermediate cartridge gun teaches the troops to only use the semi-automatic setting.

I honestly don't get why they even bother with putting fun switches on assault rifle anymore if they never use it.
>>
>>34188250
>brainlet
>>
>>34188340
Room clearing

Suppression at moderate ranges if there are no lmgs nearby
>>
Why is it that after more than 70 years people just can't accept the facts? Suppression, amount of carried ammo and being able to put more shots into the same spot more accurately faster is more important than 'stopping power' for a general purpose infantry rifle.
>>
>>34188372
Not really good for suppression because of how quick you'll go through a mag.

Room clearing is a good use for it though.
>>
>>34188340
Full auto has some limited applications on rifles and carbines, for CQB, just hitting someone with a controlled burst of 2, 3 or 4 rounds, like you'd use a subgun.
You could do this in semi-auto as well, though.

I guess also you could try doing room-clearing, again like with a subgun, but I'm not sure really how great room-clearing in the oldschool sense is.

There's also emergency suppressing fire, but honestly you'd last much longer just sporadically shooting in semi-auto than doing short bursts.

>>34188385
Because old babyboomer fucksticks like >>34188314 have a romantic image about the battle rifle, it's why there's dumbshits in US brass who thinks we should go back to battle rifles, they're old cunts who refuse to learn and just refuse to die.
>>
>>34188372
>if there are no lmgs nearby

This should never be allowed to happen so it's a non issue.
>>
>>34188385

Not totally disagreeing, but didn't the army recently announce that they were trying to get more 7.62 rifles in the field? I think it makes sense to just have two standardized rifle cartridges, one large and one small, and use both of them where appropriate. I never understand why people seem to think that the military should only have 1 type of rifle round.
>>
>>34188436
Well that is why I said 'general purpose', you want at least one guy per squad or even fireteam with a rifle suitable for longer rangers. Especially in wide open places like Afghanistan.

And logistics basically, same reason militaries love trying to replace as many guns with one gun/family of guns as they can.
>>
>>34188250

Simple fact is anon, if you get hit by a intermediate bullet, you will probably fucking die. It does the killing just as good, hell BETTER than full power rifles ever did. The yawing of a 5.45/7.62x39 or fragmentation of a 5.56 is much worse than what any military issue round did before.

The only thing bigger rounds do better is penetration, which intermediate rounds do just fine, and unnecessary long range (for standard issue).

>>34188436

The correct way to do it is what Russia figured out a long time ago; everyone has intermediate except designated marksmen and machinegunners. It's just the most versatile way to set things up with minimum waste.
>>
>I have absolutely no concept of modern combat doctrine - the post

Do you really want me to explain it to you?
>>
>>34188457

I used to be one of those people who thought that the military should try to develop a "general purpose round" in 6.5-7.0 mm which would replace both 5.56 and 7.62. Now, I've come to understand that it is impossible because the applications for the two different cartridges are just too divergent to be married into a single cartridge type. 5.56 is great for its niche and 7.62 is great for its niche. The system works and no dramatic changes are needed.
>>
>>34188459
>if you get hit by a intermediate bullet, you will probably fucking die
Not really, the shot placement meme is real

Some dudes can tank dozens of rounds to non-vitals and still keep coming, other dudes will go down in a second after a single shot because they had their spine severed or heart torn up.
>>
>infantry rifles
>having a measurable impact on the outcome of a war
"No"
>>
>>34188497

It's not a fucking video game. If you don't die immediately, you don't magically regenerate if you survive a few more seconds without taking any additional hits. You'll still die, more often than not.
>>
>>34188524
A guy who will bleed out in a few seconds but still has a gun can still kill you, happens a lot in police shootings.
>>
>>34188547

That's not a big enough problem to justify adopting a heavier rifle cartridge to just to deal with it. If somebody doesn't go down after being hit in a close quarters battle situation, there is a simple solution: shoot him again.
>>
File: IMG_1262.png (411KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1262.png
411KB, 420x420px
>>
>>34188488
Why does everyone say this dumb shit? Everyone knows .22 long rifle is the most deadly bullet, because it bounces around inside the body. Why would you need anything else?
>>
>>34188614
I'm not trying to justify that bigger rounds would solve the problem, just that people don't always go down instantly when shot.
>>
File: 1495776551370.jpg (15KB, 211x238px) Image search: [Google]
1495776551370.jpg
15KB, 211x238px
>>34188250
>>
>>34188250
Can somebody explain what the difference is between a semi automatic weapon and a select fire weapon?
>>
>>34188892
Semi-automatic has 2 settings: Safe and Fire Fire being 1 triggerpull=1 bullet

Select fire commonly has 3 settings: Safe, Semi Auto and Burst/Fully Automatic.
>>
>>34188892
Semi auto guns fire 1 round with a pull of the trigger. They usually have 2 modes: safe and semi.

Select Fire is where it can fire any combination of semi, 2 round burst, 3 round burst, or totally fully automatic.
>>
>>34188940
>>34188942
Thanks guys.
>>
>>34188665
Yeah but if he doesn't instantly die, you can be sure he'll bleed out or be unable to fight. Any gunshot wound needs immediate medical attention.
>>
>>34188432
What happens when your LMG is knocked out of commission from a catastrophic malfunction or enemy fire? Even if the doctrine says that every squad should always have an LMG, not having one can still happen.
>>
>>34188432
wtf i hate select fire rifles firing an inteermediate cartridge now

>>34188385
>>34188314
not a mistake, they just went slightly too far. All rifles should be 6.5mm and all handguns should be 7.5mm

anything bigger than .25 will drain water on its own. anything smaller is a mistake
>>
>>34189958
>7.5
>not 7.62
>>
>>34189975
am i missing something or are you just dumb? .12 cm isnt going to make any difference
>>
>>34190004
i meant mm. we are both dumb
>>
>>34190004
Because 7.62 tokarev already exists. Why would you bother making tooling for a new 7.5mm round when a better 7.62 one already exists?
>>
>>34188250
>>
>>34190107
>Tokarev fags
>>
>>34191598
>2019-2
>not using a pistol round than can penetrate armor
it's like you want your boihole fucked by a Jamal who decided to buy some inexpensive armor
>>
>>34188250
but OP you can keep the rifle on target and pew pew pew

rounds actually on target... faster than a battle rifle and with more impact than an SMG
>>
File: 1458622783020.jpg (258KB, 1075x473px) Image search: [Google]
1458622783020.jpg
258KB, 1075x473px
>>34188432
Shit man, that's some great logic there. Almost like, no one should attack you so you don't need to carry, it's a non-issue.
>>
Or you could just use an intermediate round and be able to carry more ammo...
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.