[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone know about 58 Pattern webbing? I got hold of an

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 13

Does anyone know about 58 Pattern webbing?

I got hold of an almost complete set from my Granddad, I've assembled it as best as I can but there's still 2 loose rings, I've shown them on this picture. They're part of the kidney pouch attachment tabs, and when assembled sit inside the webbing over the next pouches out from the kidneys. I have no idea where they go.

Also, Cold War thread while I wait.
>>
File: equip1c.jpg (164KB, 600x344px) Image search: [Google]
equip1c.jpg
164KB, 600x344px
This also shows them below the belt, over the respirator and water bottle pouches.
>>
>>
>>34185248
there is surplus south african webbing that i believe is based on the 58, you can look it up
>>
>>34185264
Just looked it up, it's similar but too different. To clarify I already have a set of 58 pattern, just with some bits that I'm unsure about.
>>
File: 1487540459765.jpg (617KB, 900x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1487540459765.jpg
617KB, 900x1024px
>>
File: 1448010228679.jpg (79KB, 960x487px) Image search: [Google]
1448010228679.jpg
79KB, 960x487px
>>
>>34185248
>>34185251
They hook onto the water pouch/utility pouch lower hooks for extra security.
>>
File: IMG_3159.jpg (112KB, 623x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3159.jpg
112KB, 623x720px
>>34185332
I shall attempt this, bear with.
>>
https://youtu.be/r8rZeddCY04
https://youtu.be/Toqe8rxAQb4

some info that I used to set up my pat 58.
>>
File: Fixed.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
Fixed.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
>>34185332
Using the correct instrument for this sort of kit, I have managed to wrangle the fucker into place. It doesn't seem to actually secure it any more than normal.

>>34185632
Yeah I saw that second video but it didn't help much. Thanks anyway m80.
>>
>>34185688
Looks good. Keep in mind of all of it's webbing systems, 58 Pat was universally considered the worst in the history of the British army, so if something is fucky, you can only do your best with it.
>>
>>34185688
How old is your grandad?
>>
>>34185632
Respirator case goes between left ammo pouch and kidney pouches...
>>
>>34185752
78 this year. He served in the Royal Navy so it wasn't his, he buys loads of shit at auction and in with a load of junk was a duffle bag with almost a full set of 58 and an olive jersey. Once he brought a pallet of Ferret-keeping equipment just because he liked the pallet.

>>34185704
I have heard this, why was it considered so shite? All ARRSE says is that it shrinks weirdly when wet and the backpack is a piece of crap. Backpack was not included in my set.
>>
File: 1496690500969.jpg (292KB, 1024x1604px) Image search: [Google]
1496690500969.jpg
292KB, 1024x1604px
>>34186236
I've used it a fair bit. Put together well, it works fine(ish). Put together by a mongoloid, its sucks, but then what doesn't? There are plenty of resources out their to help you put it together, and surp stores still have a lot in circulation (although its less common since cadets stopped using it). Though whoever designed the big pack can go climb a wall of dicks, it is a historically fucking awful design even by the standards of the British army. Main negative attributes of the webbing are as follows:

- Assembling it will make your fingers smell metallic and awful, like you've just tossed of a Bronze statue. Continued assembly will give you nice callouses, like a seasoned wanking addict.
- The canvas blots up water, making it heavy and impossible to take apart. It also did the same for liquid chem agents, making decontamination a nightmare.
- Big pack holds fuck all (except absorbed water) and is about as ergonomic, comfortable and easy to carry as spine cancer.

Overall though it worked, and the 58 system as a whole wasn't too bad, and some bits were even decent. It stayed in service so long because the various replacement options were even more piss poor, until PLCE came about, which was and still is pretty good.

"Every silver lining has a cloud of course, and many would argue that soldiers no longer benefit from the best aggression training exercises in the British Army, which had nothing to do with bayonets, and everything to do with trying to get a waterbottle out of a '58 pouch on a wet day."
>>
File: BAOR CheiftanMK2 1977.jpg (63KB, 640x392px) Image search: [Google]
BAOR CheiftanMK2 1977.jpg
63KB, 640x392px
>>34186764
Fucking hell that's a Viz image if I've ever seen one.

Thanks for the info, I was thinking about getting a pack to complete my set but now I'm not sure. I might also dunk a pouch in the sink if I get really bored just to see what you mean.

Assembly is made easier with a Leatherman and blunt poking device, and hopefully I won't run into any chems while out Stalklin'.
>>
>>34188055
Good idea not to get one. If you want an authentic feel, you may be able to pick up a crusty old metal frame bergen that used to be popular back in the day. They used to be a common sight, but you might need to dig around to find one lurking in a dark surplus corner nowadays.

Other top tip, the metal flat ring on the straps that thread through the loops and hold the kidney pouches on the belt aren't actually supposed to attach to the webbing, they are technically hand grabs, as the whole tab is supposed to be yanked out to act as a quick release to detach the kidney pouches, so you could quickly transition from CEMO (complete equipment marching order) to CEFO (complete equipment fighting order), or be dumped in an emergency. It doesn't matter though as they way you have put it together is entirely correct, as the quick release system was crap and never really was used (just like the rifle grenade pouch, another relic never used but never removed)
>>
>>34190270
>>34185837
Or, if you want to be super authentic and do what any self-respecting Infanteer did in the 80's, get yourself one or two '44 pattern water bottle pouches, two spare '58 pattern water bottle pouches and set it up so it goes:

Ammo - '44 patt - '58 patt - '58 patt - '58 patt - '44 patt (if you're a fat fucker and can fit it) - ammo

Which is eventually basically what PLCE did with utility pouches.
>>
>>34190450
Oh and the poncho roll goes above the rear pouches, the entire belt rig is lowered to the hips rather than the waist and you burn the fucking useless kidney pouches in a big fire.
>>
>not using 37 patt webbing
fucking newfags
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.