[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /k/, maybe you guys can help. what is the best way to preserve

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: flag_on_casket.jpg (5KB, 231x112px) Image search: [Google]
flag_on_casket.jpg
5KB, 231x112px
hey /k/, maybe you guys can help.
what is the best way to preserve a spent cartridge casing?

>grandfather's funeral was today
>he enlisted in the US Army in 1953
>military burial with rifle salute, 2 soldiers standing guard, flag on coffin
>the American Legion guys doing the rifle salute gave our family the spent casings as a memento

it's already a little tarnished but I would like to prevent further deterioration.

also can you tell me anything about the blank casing? it says "AMA 81" on the bottom. I didn't get a good look but I think the rifles they used for the salute are .30 caliber M1 Garands?
>>
>>34182052
Polish it with a pol cloth and put it in a shadow box, do you have any of your grandpa's ribbons or unit insignia you put in with it? Maybe a photo of him in his dress uniform?

RIP your grandpa anon
>>
>>34182147
*oil cloth, not pol cloth
>>
>>34182052
Polish. Hit it with a clear coat
>>
>>34182147
>shadow box
what is that

>do you have any of your grandpa's ribbons or unit insignia you put in with it? Maybe a photo of him in his dress uniform?
I think my grandmother probably has those. the soldiers also gave her the coffin flag too on behalf of the President.

I don't really know much about his service. he didn't talk about it at all really. the only thing I know is that he was stationed in West Germany in the 1950's.

the only story he told me was how he got cheated at cards by some "negro" soldiers, and then the officer caught them gambling and took away all their money, lol
>>
File: IMG_7419.jpg (86KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7419.jpg
86KB, 600x600px
>>34182212
Shadow boxes are a nice wood box that has either a cloth material or a painted background that you can mount stuff on, it's a really nice thing to do for the memory of a old soldier. My grandpa just passed a month or so ago, tough fucker made it through a tour of Korea and a tour in Vietnam.
>>
Id like to know as well, my father had his salute last summer and i have the casings in a bag, but i wanna do something cool with them
>>
>>34182266
that might be too big though, I only have one of the casings. the other family members have the other ones
>>
>>34182300
That's just a generic photo I got off of google, they can be any size and you could make one as small as just to fit a single casing
>>
>>34182300
You could make it into a necklace, or have it metled down into a ring
>>
>>34182314
>>34182315
I was thinking like a small case where I can display it?

>grandpa wouldn't want me to get too elaborate with this, he was a very frugal man
>>
>>34182351
Well if youd want to do it case style, you could have a memorial style thing for him, like you could get a small like table and put a display case with the xasing and any of his other military or personal things inside of it with like a picture of him and like an epitaph about him mounted about it
>>
>>34182400
the casing is the only thing I have.
I just want to preserve just the casing in a displayable way.
>>
File: gunshell_1.jpg (102KB, 750x734px) Image search: [Google]
gunshell_1.jpg
102KB, 750x734px
>>34182443
Could do something like this and cover it in glass, im sure there is a company out there that makes them
>>
>>34182052
>AMA 81
Danish. I've seen both blanks and live ammo on sale with that headstamp, all .30-06 as would be appropriate for an M1 Garand.
You can polish it up to a nice shine with any metal polish - Flitz, Mother's, whatever you like. A light wipe of any household oil like 3-in-1 afterwards will keep it shiny.

As others have suggested, track down his patches, awards, etc and put together a shadow box for him. The casings would be a nice touch to add to it.

If nothing else, get a flag box, and keep the brass with it.
>>
Renaissance wax is the best museum-grade metal preservative.
>>
thanks for the ideas guys, I will see about getting my casing... cased... and I will ask grandma if she'd like to do a bigger case for any medals/ribbons/insignia grandpa may have had
>>
>>34182847
Good luck OP, post the finished thing if you can sometime
>>
>>34183172
for sure.
pray for my grandfather if you are so inclined
>>
>>34183692
Havent been a religious man in a long time but i could give it a shot
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.