[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why hasn't a belt fed, 1000+ round per minute, 3 1/2"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: S009.jpg (22KB, 516x192px) Image search: [Google]
S009.jpg
22KB, 516x192px
Why hasn't a belt fed, 1000+ round per minute, 3 1/2" 12 gauge flechette thrower been created for door gunners or even as a coaxial gun yet?

Normally, 2 3/4" flechette shells hold just 20, inch long, pussy 8 grain flechettes that come out at around 2250 FPS and use dumb protruding fins that take up room in the shell for tighter patterns.

Typically, the accepted casualty producing force for an incapacitating wound is 58 ft. lbf. for an unprotected human and individual 8 grain flechettes fall to that energy around 130 meters although it could be deadly much further if they're really pointy and enough hit the right area.

3 1/2" shells already exist, can fit nearly an inch longer (heavier) flechette or have more room for powder, and we can load them with flechette like pic related for higher flechette per shell ratio. Who cares if you're getting 30 meter wide patterns at 500 meters, you're flooding the target with extremely uncomfortable brush penetrating needles at 1000 RPM.

With my only door gunner experience being combat simulators, I've found that precise weapons are incredibly difficult to get on target even with a high fire rate but a high fire rate coupled with appropriate spread (not swinging the gun back and forth) works much better.
>>
>>34179985
a) Door gunners are hardly a priority in anyone's military, they don't see much use
b) Machine guns fill this role entirely adequately. If you're that fussed, slap a minimum on instead.

You can delete the thread now friend.
>>
>>34179985
Oh and
C) Flechettes don't work like that not are they particular effective.
>>
>>34179985
I love it when 14 year olds read an article on wikipedia and think they're some fuckin genius who can solve an age-old problem by throwing technology at it.

"Let's just give all our soldiers hand held rail guns and dual desert eagle .50 and dragonskin armor and katanas war would be over in 5 minutes"
>>
>>34180307
They were fucking kings back in nam though. Another jungle war and they'll be back
>>
>>34179985
Military fag here I believe flechettes are now banned as they wouldn't kill but would mostly cause bleed outs so Geneva cuckvention disallowed them
>>
D I S T A N C E C U N T
FUCKING RANGE MATE
>>
>>34180389

>katanas

i prefer broadswords
>>
>>34180307
>>34180351

>a) Door gunners are hardly a priority in anyone's military, they don't see much use

True, but they're special enough to be one of the few that get to use mini-guns

>b) Machine guns fill this role entirely adequately. If you're that fussed, slap a minimum on instead.

They do alright, but why stop there if you're already starting to strap mini-guns on helicopters?

>C) Flechettes don't work like that not are they particular effective.

How do you know? 12 gauge flechette was only ever designed around an infantryman and they've never been attempted to be used this way as far as I know. The closest I can think of is the 40mm flechette shells in Vietnam that sucked but they wouldn't be able to achieve anywhere near the same fire rate or range. Wounding a small number of infantry is worth more than killing or wounding none.

>>34180389

Fuck you, it was antipersonnel(d.o!t) net but I've had the idea for a while. The site only reinforced it.

>>34180515

Would be my only concern but heavier, more aerodynamic flechette would reach further and as long as it can penetrate a few inches deep at 500 meters it would be much more useful to a door gunner who can barely see the person he's pointing his machine gun at from the half that distance let alone aim at them from a moving helicopter.
>>
>>34179985

Bump for intereat
>>
>>34179985
>Why hasn't a belt fed, 1000+ round per minute, 3 1/2" 12 gauge flechette thrower been created for door gunners or even as a coaxial gun yet?
Weight
Low RoF for a door gun
30m CEP patterns sound great for any public relations
Geneva Con banning flechettes
Flechettes suffering heavily from crosswinds
Your lethality assumption is based on unarmored infantry

>With my only door gunner experience being combat simulators, I've found that precise weapons are incredibly difficult to get on target even with a high fire rate but a high fire rate coupled with appropriate spread
This is why you play games and others train for the job.
>>
>>34179985
Because the M134 does the same thing?
>>
>>34181961

>Weight

I'm not sure what the weight would be compared to a minigun and its ammo, plastic shells might help.

>Low RoF for a door gun

It's faster than any other gun they use aside from the few with mini-guns

>30m CEP patterns sound great for any public relations

The potential probably wouldn't be too much worse than what we have but it would probably look worse when an accident did happen since they aren't supposed to be as discriminate.

>Geneva Con banning flechettes

Didn't know that was rule, doesn't the US ignore fire bombing anyways though?

>Flechettes suffering heavily from crosswinds

Got me there, POA might be worse when under a helicopter even without wind. At a certain point it may be unusable and defeat the purpose of such a gun even existing.

>Your lethality assumption is based on unarmored infantry

The 308 used wont penetrate a vest either, you'd have a greater chance for a kill hoping to hit their head with a mass of flechette.

>This is why you play games and others train for the job.

You can get an idea of what it's like trying to hit something from a moving helicopter, I'm sure it's much harder in real life. I hope you're not implying it would be easy to score hits with what they currently use because they can tell you it's most certainly not.

With wind, it makes more sense why anon, thank you
>>
>>34182029

12 gauge flechette M134
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.