[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is the US so obsessed with AR15s and their derivatives/licensed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 11

File: zombiear.jpg (67KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
zombiear.jpg
67KB, 960x720px
Why is the US so obsessed with AR15s and their derivatives/licensed repros/knockoffs?

They appear on tons of flags, everyone goes on and on about them being the best rifle ever, even anti-gun laws are largely clearly written with ARs in mind rather than modern rifles in general.

Do americans not realize that guns other than AR15s exist?
>>
Their manlet baby shoulders can't handle more recoil than a 5.56
>>
>American made
>cheap
>can be operated by a legitimate retard
>5.56 widely available
>chosen weapon of the virgin mary herself
>>
>why is this american gun used by almost every western military so popular with americans?
>>
Money + Marketing + Goodness
Same reason glocks are popular
>>
Because it basically represents the US. Unless you slap burger decals all over your rifle; you can't get more American than a m16 or AR
>>
>>34175177
>bayonet is shorter than barrel
>>
>>34175177
Because most Americans love having the closest thing they can get to a real military service rifle for their country.
>>
File: IMG_3091.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3091.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
It's because they've gotten so cheap over the years that even a budget AR is still a quality rifle and higher end ARs are at or above military grade. (Minus select fire of course)

Also, the platform is like a lego set. An American can have his all-American iconic rifle and customize it anyway he can possibly think of.
The ammo is cheap and parts are everywhere. There's not a great reason to not get one.

I personally enjoy my standard A2 hand guard on my M4. It just feels right. Maybe I'm an AR purist like many are AK purists, although I do have a holo sight. ARs are just a fantastic platform for any purpose.
>>
>>34175177
>why do so many third world countries use AK's? Don't these people know that other guns exist besides ones that are the most widely available in their countries?
>>
>>34175191
I know it's difficult to understand.
>>
File: th (9).jpg (15KB, 269x300px) Image search: [Google]
th (9).jpg
15KB, 269x300px
>>34175177
>Not liking AR's
>Not getting close to shooty booty qt's
Shiggity
>>
File: IMG_2719[1].jpg (124KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2719[1].jpg
124KB, 640x480px
>>34175177
>Do americans not realize that guns other than AR15s exist?
A LOT of the obsession with the rifle is actually fueled by regulations and crazy anti-gun faggots. The AR15 looks scary and people have been trying to regulate or outright ban the rifle for decades. This leads to panic buying, proliferation, and eventually, lowered prices. The latter two lead to more popularity. What's more is that the AR15's modularity has made lawmaking and regulation a veritable nightmare for politicians. The platform can be so heavily changed with minimal swapping of parts or materials, that the gun is very simply one of the most difficult to ban in the US. People literally print lower receivers.

Then of course comes everything else:
>reliable
>accurate
>lightweight
>cheap
>low recoil
>modular
You know, all the things that many other 5.56 rifles are not.
>>
Just a decade ago, a decent quality AR-15 would set you back $800.

Now you can "build" a high quality AR-15 for almost 1/2 that. No other 5.56 rifle can really compete sans Tavor & AUG for bullpups, but the even the AUG is being replaced with an AR pattern.
>>
>>34176057
>You know, all the things that many other 5.56 rifles are not.
most 5.56 rifles are actually all of those things and most rifles in general are all of those things ever since the dovetail mount was standardized
>>
>>34176097
>most 5.56 rifles are actually all of those things
Well, they aren't as lightweight, modular, cheap for goddamn sure, and the M4 is THE lightest recoiling standard military 5.56 rifle. You want an SG550, Famas, G36, or an L85? All of them are heavier, more expensive, and far less modular. A lot of rifles like the Mini-14 or Steyr AUG have reputations for shitty accuracy as well. Something that's hard to accept when the 5.56x45 is an inherently accurate round.
>>
>>34176097
The dovetail mount has nothing to do reliability or cost. Most 5.56 rifles are also in fact heavier than the AR.
>>
>>34176143
>The dovetail mount has nothing to do reliability or cost.
true, it has to do with modularity, which was one of your bullet points

pretty much every 5.56 rifle performs mostly the same and offers the same degree of moddability

also ARs arent the fattest rifle around but they're not exactly light either, and much of the lightness comes from being made of milled aluminum instead of milled steel (but still losing out to master peasant race stamped steel)
>>
>>34176250
No they dont. The aftermarket of the AR is ten thousand times that of most other 5.56 rifles. How many stocks are there for the FAMAS? How light can you get a Galil? How long does it take to change out the barrel on a K2? These are all concepts you are dodging.
>>
>>34176250
>they're not exactly light
I would love for you to show me another rifle that can weigh 5.5lbs loaded.
>>
>>34175485
How about the M1 Garand, M1911, or Colt Single Action Army you motherfucker?
>>
>>34175778
Kek
>>
>>34175177
It's the US' AK
>>
>>34179275
Minus the reliability, aesthetics, and simplicity.
>>
File: 1493614385389.gif (11KB, 218x216px) Image search: [Google]
1493614385389.gif
11KB, 218x216px
>>34175177
We have an entire generation of millenials returning from Iraq and Afghanistan.

They spent their entire 20's carrying one day in an day out.
It's a ubiquitous rifle that anyone who's spent a day in the Military knows how to take apart, put back together, and shoot.

A shit ton of young male American millennials had the M4 as their first introduction to firearms outside call of duty.
>>
>>34179343
AKs suck ass. They choke on simple elements tests. What fucking shit ass army would still issue those archaic pieces of shit?
>>
>>34179359
I'm going to guess that this has almost nothing to do with AR sales. They are, by far, the most popular rifles today. They are purchased by civilians who've never been in the military.
>>
>>34175191
^Literally this.
>>
>>34179364
The Russian army.
>>
>>34179377
Do you know how big "vet culture" has gotten in America?

Everyone has a brother, cousin, father, or buddy that's been in.
Everyone wants to wear the gay tacticool 511 pants and the hats with velcro'd flags.

It's an epidemic.
>>
>>34175485
>you can't get more American than a m16 or AR
What is winchester model 70
>>
File: ................jpg (47KB, 615x410px) Image search: [Google]
................jpg
47KB, 615x410px
>>34175177
Why are Ameriboos so obsessed with Americans?

They appear on every single board and are constantly seeking out American attention like a petulant child.

Do Ameriboos not realize their own nations have forums they can participate in, using their own language and culture, instead of hanging out on an American site all the time?

It's pretty sad so many Ameriboos hate their own nation, language, and culture so much that they'd rather hang out on foreign websites instead of their own.
>>
>>34179456
9/10
>>
>>34175177
This is going to be a long summer
>>
>>34178141
>>34179414

Not >>34175485 but if you want a semiauto, magazine fed modern rifle he is right.
>>
File: IMG_0119.jpg (42KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0119.jpg
42KB, 500x281px
>>34179343
>reliability
>simplicity

Oh boy, here we go again
>>
>>34178141

You can argue that all you want, but the AR has been Americas front line combat rifle for 52 years. It's not going anywhere until caseless ammunition becomes viable.
>>
>>34180098
trained on it a lot

aware other shit is out there

trained on the other shit a lot

>if the other shit works for you, great: use the other options

I dislike AR for the same reason I dislike but use Glock. it's boring from how well I use them. but I use and dislike guns for the same reason I dislike but own first aid kits and fire extinguishers: they remind me of my mortality, and hopefully will stave it off if needed, so I want the ones I use the best. that said, my effectiveness with them, and boredom with them makes me dislike them, paired with their tangible reminding me that I might die too soon and hopes that I never have to employ them
>>
Cheapness and modular really. Never had an issue with them. Want a Vietnam type A1? Build it. Want a more modern WOT M4? Build that too.
Really cheap? .22 conversions, set up correctly, are fun especially with a suppressor.
Deer? 6.5 Grendal is nice. Hogs? .458 Socom or .50 Beowolf. Throw a 24 inch barrel on one and plink at long range.
I like my AK's too.
>>
>>34176250
My $1100 SLR 104 is Inarguably heavier than an eqivalent AR wearing plastic, or most rails
>>
>>34175177
Welcome newfriend, let me bring you up to speed on the things you missed while being a non-American.

There are only a handful of issues that America's political elites have continuously agreed upon since the 80's. That the AR-15 is the only, non-bolt action, rifle purchasable in the US is one of them. The NFA machine gun registry closed in 1986 under Reagan, preventing any new select-fire competition to AR supremacy. Then Bush Sr. restricted the importation of foreign arms to "sporting use" which keeps many foreign manufacture guns out of the US market. Bush & Reagan set the table, but everyone knows if you really want to sell guns you need a Democrat. Clinton's 94' Crime Bill with it's Assault Weapons Ban (AWB) is what put the AR on the road to being the preeminent American rifle. Before the ban, ARs were expensive range-toys. After the ban, they were desirable forbidden fruit. US gun makers responded to the ban by quickly modifying their wares to comply with the AWB's feature rules, while what few foreign firms there still were in the market had to shepard new compliant rifles through the Republican import restrictions. Bush Jr. lets the AWB expire allowing post '94 buyers to purchase fully-featured ARs to replace neutered AWB-legal guns. Obama's gun control rhetoric spooked the nation into a panic buy of AR style weapons, because 1) they are guns most likely to be banned and 2) people believe that bans can happen after their bitter '94 experience. I don't know what Trump is going to do to keep American ARs Great Still, but I'm sure the guy from New York will figure out something.
>>
>>34175177
The market is flooded with them because "lol, customizable dude. What? you think a commie gun or bolt action is gonna do any damage? Have you ever played COD? FUCKING NOOB! You're un-american and anti-country if you don't own one! Hoorah"
>>
>>34175485
Maybe modern America
>plastic
>would break in Vietnam
>mass produced like GMO subsidized corn and soybeans
>for some reason Russian and German firearms are more expensive due to Bill Clinton
What ever happened to Winchester, Colt, Remington, Smith and Wessen? I bet most people are too uneducated to realize that Glock is not an American brand.
>>
>>34175191
Soldiers used to drop them in Vietnam in favor of AK's because the plastic would break on them. Definitely something that has limited use as a mall cop gun. It's no wonder our military puts way too much effort into fighting sand people in caves getting high on opium.
>>
File: huehue.jpg (255KB, 1310x434px) Image search: [Google]
huehue.jpg
255KB, 1310x434px
>not owning the sexiest modern rifle.
>>
>>34175177
cheapest to buy, cheapest to feed, cheapest to customize while retaining a highly functional, modern rifle that can serve nearly any role. how fucking hard is that to understand?
>>
File: AUG-e1435186387139.jpg (73KB, 845x362px) Image search: [Google]
AUG-e1435186387139.jpg
73KB, 845x362px
>>34181331
you posted the wrong gun
>>
File: FullMemeJacket.gif (54KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
FullMemeJacket.gif
54KB, 625x626px
>>34181311
>>
>>34175183
>le recoil meme
not my fault AK's are a garbage slow design.
>>
File: disgust.jpg (46KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
disgust.jpg
46KB, 620x400px
>>34181366
>picatinny rails on the scope
>>
>>34181366
thats strange, why would you post an inferior rifle?
>>
>>34175191
>used by almost every western military

Nope, they use derivatives of the AR18. More countries use AK variants though.
>>
>>34181431
What is the MP5? what is the AK74? There are loads of standard semi-auto rifles used by militaries that are not AR's.
>>
>>34176097
Modularity is more than just being a railfag. Interchangeable uppers and lowers, caliber changes, furniture ect. Nothing else comes close to that.

The other big one that nothing comes close to is cost. If a a scar 16 was $899. And a tavor was $500 I bet we would see alot more of them.

Once upon a time mini 14s were cheaper than ARs. And you saw them everywhere. Not so much now.

When aks were 300 dollars they were an attractive alternative for ARs that them cost 800-1000 to buy of 600+ to budget build. But again, that has inverted.
>>
>>34181375
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaEsRGxTWmo
He seems to disagree
>>
>>34176097
>most 5.56 rifles are actually all of those things and most rifles in general are all of those things ever since the dovetail mount was standardized
name a rifle you can buy in the US that are all of those things this>>34176057 anon listed
>>
>>34181476
I think the price has more to do with it being mass produced and domestic. If you live in Germany and have the paper work, you can get a H&K MP5 for that kind of money too, but for some reason the price gets jacked up here in the US due to past bans.
>>
>>34181254
I know this shit is memed on /k/ , and maybe I'm just neive, but I have never encountered a human being that acted like this.

AR owners I encounter either one an ar15 because it seemed like the cheapest gun of its type of get, or they are meta gun fags who in no way limit their interest to the ar15.
>>
>>34175177
I've said this several times.
All the other guns used by foreign militaries that aren't of the AR family are Silky Guns, For Silky Militaries, In Silly Countries, that speak a Silly Language, that sucks at War.

YA KNOW WHY THE AR PLATFORM IS SO POPULAR????
IT'S FIELDED BY THE MILITARY OF THE COUNTRY THAT PRETTY MUCH RUNS THE FREE WORLD

>inb4 muh Russia and China.
>They aren't free and never will be.
>US runs this shit, so get used to it.
>>
>>34181523
I know, it's mostly a meme, but you find a lot of people (people whose brother or dad owns one gun) who seem to think that AR's are high caliber guns that make you the king of the trailer park all because their brother used it to scare some drunks off of their porch. 5.56 is nothing special, it's only redeeming quality is that it's mass produced. If you laid a ruger mini next to an AR, most people would say "oh they are two totally different guns, I mean look at how black and tactical that one is" despite both of them cost around the same amount, shooting similar calibres, and both being semi-auto.
>>
>>34181553
Vietnamese rice farmers and Afghan dope growing cavemen are considered "a threat to this country" that we spent years fighting.
>>
>>34181553
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_%26_Koch_G3#Users
This one is made of actual metal, gets used by both first world and third world countries, yet you label it as silky compared to our plastic shit.
>>
>>34181643
That was supposed to say "silly
But my point still stands.
So how about you stop defending a gun that isn't even in use by The country that defends the rest of the other cuck countries.

On a side note I'm buying a ptr91 for the sole purpose of having a gun that isn't an AR.

BUT STILL AR IS NUMBAH ONE
>>
>>34181492
this guy doesnt know shit
>>
>>34181609
So you're saying that since the early 60's we've only shot at the dinks and sand niggers with M16's go back to school.
>>
>>34181451
>Doesn't understand what constitutes western military

Christ I hate summer.
>>
>>34175177
>muh zombeh hunner
Christ, why do edgy mouthbreathing bubba hicks have such shitty LARP fantasies? A cliched undead zombie apocalypse would only last a few years before most of the infected rot away. From then on it would just be treated like a disturbing and severe version of rabies.
>>
>>34182545
Because that way the can discuss how to better fuck up human shaped targets without sounding like nutters.
>>
>>34182545
What if they were alien engineered super zombies?
>>
>>34181311
No they didn't, stop this meme.
The military doesn't just let you leave your rifle on the battlefield.
It's government property after all.
>>
>>34182822
And the distinctive report was likely to draw friendly fire.
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.