[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How retard is the idea of just applying radar-absorbent material

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: 1280px-Anechoic_chamber_wall.jpg (335KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1280px-Anechoic_chamber_wall.jpg
335KB, 1280x960px
How retard is the idea of just applying radar-absorbent material on normal planes to make them go stealth instead of spending on billions of dollar design new ones in scratch?
>>
Very

Please read a book before asking stupid questions
>>
File: 1492582524678.jpg (438KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1492582524678.jpg
438KB, 1024x768px
>>34173523
I think thats what these things were
>>
RAM coats on planes are very minimal gains for the costs.

Most of the RCS comes from the design of the plane. The shapes, curves, engine inlets, probes, bumps, etc etc are the massive factors in determining a jet's RCS.
>>
>>34173540
Wow that hideous. Also what's the deal with stealth attack helicopters? Is it just for stingers? Because I'm pretty sure people can still see and hear them.
>>
>>34173552
>this question
You really are just a shitposter.
>>
File: Israeli F-35 rendering.jpg (220KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Israeli F-35 rendering.jpg
220KB, 1920x1080px
So, how much stealth would you say RAM coating contribute? 20%? And will they ever come in colors?
>>
>>34173552
.... that's a movie prop homeslice
>>
>>34173552
No, afaik stingers and other manpads like it are generally infrared, not radar-guided, so it wouldn't do anything.
>>
>>34173552

Newer SPAAWs like the Tunguska and Pantsir have radars much better at picking helicopters out of ground clutter at longer ranges. The idea is the same as stealthy strike aircraft, in that you detect threats before they see you so you can bypass/destroy them safely, not that you are "invisible".
>>
>>34173523
It's only moderately retard, it does reduce its signature enough to be useful at long ranges or high speeds and while the paint is expensive it is less expensive than whole new planes
>>
Pretty sure the USAF did this to its F-16CJs
>>
>>34173523

Why would you want to reduce the detection of civilian aircraft?

>>34173543

And the internals!
>>
>>34173590
they come in colours. its literally just matte paint.
>>
>>34173523
Better off just having an upgrade kit for the airframe that changes it's shape, I think I remember one being developed for the F-18 but it didn't go anywhere.

Most airframes aren't too hard to modify back at a factory, this isn't some bolt-on field modification. They take it, strip it down, and then essentially rebuild it while overhauling the parts. Factory rebuilds are sometimes pretty normal procedure if a nation wants to really extend the lifespan of the airframe, it's a lot cheaper to rebuild than to build new.
>>
>>34173523
Extraordinarily
>>
>>34173552
Yeah its the the time to filter your stupid ass.
>>
>>34173523
>>
>>34178091
Fucking saved
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.