[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What up /k/, I've never owned a gun, but I grew up in Vermont

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_0835.jpg (17KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0835.jpg
17KB, 259x194px
What up /k/, I've never owned a gun, but I grew up in Vermont shooting all sorts of pistols and rifles with my friends and now I kind of want to get back into that. I want to go buy a 22 to plink with, maybe something like pic related. I don't want to invest too much though, since a teacher's budget is of the ramen-noodles-on-sale variety.

TLDR anybody wanna give a first time buyer tips on how to buy cheap guns?
>>
>>34157599
Get a Heritage rough rider. The build quality is really good for a 150 dollar gun. Some of them can fire 22lr and 22mag. It's got that classic single action army look. Really can't go wrong with it for a first fun. Definitely stay away from H&R 922, those things suck.
>>
>>34157599
rough rider
>>
>>34157599
>I don't want to inve-
Find a different hobby.
>>
>>34157666
>>34157714
This. I love my rough rider. First gun I actually purchased myself
>>
>>34157666
>>34157714
>>34157758
Aren't those made in Brazil?
>>
.22 is always a fine choice for first gun. First gun should be a common caliber, i.e. 9mm, 40s&w, or 45acp for handguns (I'd go with 9), 5.56, .308, 7.62x39 or any common cartridge for rifles. What are you interested in? What appeals to you? Cowboy action? Milsurp? Tacticool? A common gun that I recommend to new people is a s&w .38 revolver, since it is simple to operate, is a common caliber, has a nice trigger, and is a great value. Since you are on a budget, .22 is a good choice for value, but isn't good for anything but plinking. But it's cheap! Many bangs for few bucks! Tell me what you like, and I can be more helpful.
>>
>>34157765
yes here's a tour of a factory similar to the ones the rough riders are made at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq1TXEE_QK4
>>
>>34157765
Nope. Florida
>>
>>34157765
They are now. Taurus has aquired Rossi, Heritage Arms, and a couple other companies.
>>
>>34157788
Oh shit, you're right. Taurus owns them but they're still manufactured in the US
>>
>>34157666
I got one with the .22 LR and Magnum cylinder, fantastically fun little gun for the price.
>>
Well then... I guess the Rough Rider is a legit SA. Here my buddy Alex told me they're unreliable and to stay away!

>>34157768 I'm a fan of the manual action guns, prefer iron sights to optics, but honestly I'm torn. Pistol and rifle are both fun, but I can't decide where to start. If I could find a 1911 clone in 22lr that didn't break my budget, I might not be against that either.
>>
>>34157970
I'm looking pretty close at this... the longer barreled version also comes with an adjustable sight, which is nice since there's nothing more therapeutic for me than putting six shots through dead center (even though it takes me about 5 minutes)
>>
>>34157666
Even if you just buy the 22lr instead of the combo, it should come with a coupon for an extra cylinder. You can get the mag cylinder or another 22lr(why you'd want to, idk) for something like $35 if I remember right
>>
File: IMG_0836.jpg (12KB, 400x250px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0836.jpg
12KB, 400x250px
>>34158015
Oh nice! There's a shop here in Denver though that has the dual cylinder for $245. For a 22 revolver, are nicer sights worth the extra ~$50?
>pic related
>>
>>34158081
They definitely work, but I just don't think they look right on a SA revolver. I can make a tin can dance at 30 yards with my fixed sight 4" barrel.

At the same time, if the fixed sights are off, you either gotta whack/file the post or just learn where to hold it.
>>
>>34158153
Oh Jesus that's a lot less expensive too... one shop's quoting $113 for a basic 6" rough rider. That might have just convinced me... all I really wanna do is plink at cans anyway. Or a steel target if I can get a relatively inexpensive one.
>>
>>34158259
Do it, friend. The 6" should add a little more accuracy as well over the 4". The only thing I might change if I were to do it over again would be getting the 9 shot instead of the 6, but I'm too happy with the gun I have to be bothered by it.
>>
>>34157972
I haven't heard a single good thing about chiappa so avoid those 1911s. You might consider a ruger, they make some of the best cheap guns. Savage and ruger make great cheap bolt guns. Didn't mention before but a Remington or mossberg shotgun might be a good choice, fun to shoot and you can fill many roles, from home defense to clay pigeons and hunting. If that's not your thing, that's fine. I know you said manual action but check this out, probably the best deal on the market right now, even my friendly LGS refused to price match it lol.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/smith-wesson-m-p-shieldtm-9mm.html

If even that is too much money, then you need to buy used or start turning tricks you poor poor bastard.
>>
>>34158081
>. For a 22 revolver, are nicer sights worth the extra ~$50?
fuck yes
if i could change anything about my rough rider it would be going back in time and getting the one with sights
>>
>>34157719
Are you retarded? Shooting is one of the cheaper hobbies to get into and .22lr is coming back down in price again. OP could get quite a bit of time worth of shooting with a $30 brick of .22lr if he's using a single action revolver.
>>
>>34159595
shooting is a million times more expensive than my other hobby of playing pirated video games
>>
>>34159614
And how much did your gaming setup set you back?
>>
>>34159614
>shooting is a million times more expensive than my other hobby of playing pirated video games
What? Unless you only play older games and never need to upgrade your computer, you can easily spend more over time than someone who's just interested in low volume shooting with a gun chambered in .22lr.
>>
File: ssl1.jpg (579KB, 1591x827px) Image search: [Google]
ssl1.jpg
579KB, 1591x827px
>>34157599
You can't beat a single action 22 for plinking in the woods. I inherited pic related when my dad passed on, but you can still find decent prices in pawn shops if you look often enough. I was able to pick up a Colt Frontier Scout for $120 a few years back, just by being in the right place at the right time.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Well, one trip to the Tanner gun show later, OP pulls the trigger. Bought the 4.5 inch, so by default open fixed sights. With a case, 500 rounds (and taxes and a background check), made out for about $250. How did I do?

Also, any pro tips on owning and maintaining a single action?
>>
>>34160873
(God damnit every time I take a pic with my phone 4chan turns it upside down)
>>
>>34160873
Yea, boi! Now get out there and kill some cans!

Also, just in case you weren't aware, you absolutely want to avoid dry firing with any rimfire firearm. It'll damage the cylinders. But since these have the safety you'll be OK as long as you keep the safety on.
>>
>>34161078
Yeah, I made that mistake with a friend's years back... not a cheap mistake.
>>
>>34160873
My boi, you got the best grips too.
>>
>>34160873
Did you get the cylinder coupon with it?
>>
>>34161792
Yup yup! $30 for a magnum cylinder. I mean... I have 500 rounds of 22lr... so I'm set for a while. But still.

Also got a free 1 year membership with the NRA.
>>
>>34161813
Good shit, man. I still haven't sent my coupon in, even though I have a bunch of 22 mag laying around with nothing to shoot them out of lol (even some shot shells!)

You'd be surprised how fast you can tho through those 500. I can burn through 100 colibri rounds a day in my backyard
>>
>>34161852
lol that's part of why I wanted a SAA revolver... forces you to slow down and shoot 6 shots at a time. Still, I think I'm gonna bring more than a few boxes to the range tomorrow!
>>
>>34162054
That it does. Honestly, I enjoy shooting mine more than any other gun I own. Going through the motions to load/unload/reload is almost therapeutic.

Congrats on your new gun, friend! I'm sure you're gonna love it
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.