[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/k/, why are most folding knives oriented for tip up carry?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

File: 53417903[1].jpg (25KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
53417903[1].jpg
25KB, 400x400px
/k/, why are most folding knives oriented for tip up carry?

i've been carrying a kershaw blackout for 12yrs (tip down design) and recently started trying different folders. seems like all i can find in "quality" knives are tip up and they're very awkward to handle.

is there a real benefit?
>>
It's just more natural to close your knife and drop it in your pocket, also when you pull it out it's facing the right way.
>>
>>34155477
but in tip down my hand is already on the pivot. just have to drop the handle into my palm.

seems like with tip up i have to walk my fingers up the handle to get the right grip if that makes sense.
>>
File: 03.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
03.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
bumping with most recent purchase
>>
File: 04.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
04.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>34155541
crap. meant to post this one to show clip
>>
File: sog1.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
sog1.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
bumping with current carry knife
>>
File: sog2.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
sog2.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
i really can't find a legit reason why tip up is the preferred method of carry.

someone please enlighten me

i understand that if the vast majority of knives are set up this way there has to be some benefit
>>
>>34155622
I don't know, I guess it wouldn't bother me either way. I'm just used to opening and closing my knife with hand facing down at my side, normally I'll brush it on my pants. Then just dropping it in, its simple enough I never even noticed it, it's just all done in one place with my arms relaxed. But hey you do you.
>>
>>34155541
>>34155547
>>34155611
>>34155622
>$600 worth of knives in 2 pictures

buy a pistol next time and you won't have to worry about this mall ninja bullshit
>>
>>34155489
>but in tip down my hand is already on the pivot. just have to drop the handle into my palm.
tip-up fags typically don't understand how to draw a tip-down knife properly. They try to draw it like tip-up (grab knife, raise elbow) and then have to flip it around. Sounds like you have the correct method - pinch pivot, elbow goes down, hand goes up.
Having carried both I *slightly* prefer tip-up but both are fine. The people who deride tip-down are retards who don't know how their own limbs work.
>>
>>34155718
still doesn't explain why there's such a bias toward one style

>>34155667
i've got plenty of pistols
>>
>>34155718

could it be something as simple as it's easier for the manufacturer to attach the clip to the butt end and not the pivot end?
>>
i'm surprised this hasn't sparked more debate

bumping for info
>>
one last bump and i'll drop it
>>
This one of those nerd things people cry about but have no real arguement. it's personal preference.
>>
>>34155489
>just have to drop the handle into my palm.

But with tip-up you don't have to worry about such nonsense.

The only practical reason for having a tip-down is if you're carrying in your shirt pocket or inside jacket pocket on your opposite side.
>>
Tip up carry sells better because you don't have to turn the knife in your hand. You reach in, grab the knife, flick it open and you're already in an overhand pinch grip. Only cheap gas station knives are top down carry these days.
>>
>>34157322
What the fuck difference does it make which pocket you're carrying in?
>>
>>34157416
The attitude of the handle in relation to your hand as it reaches for the knife.
>>
>>34157322
it's all one motion though. my fingers are already at the pivot and the grip just falls in hand and i'm ready to open.

with tip up i gave to draw the knife, then walk it into position in my hand before it's open
>>
>ITT: Weapons-grade Autism

If you're using a folding knife to cut anything other than a bag of bachelor kibble, you've already fucked up.
>>
Its simply easier and more aestethic for designers to go tip up.often times i see tip down clips cover up the pivot or create hot spots.but if the clip is tip up it is less likely to create a hotspot and allows easy access to the pivot.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.