[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Testing in 2 months. Fastest way to master the 1.5 mile run?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

File: borderpatrol-AP_3.jpg (19KB, 350x262px) Image search: [Google]
borderpatrol-AP_3.jpg
19KB, 350x262px
Testing in 2 months.

Fastest way to master the 1.5 mile run?

Pushups required are like 22, and I get 88 without stopping. Situps are just as well, but I've always been a gymrat and have no idea what to do when it comes to cardio?

tl;dr please help, only know how to put things up and down, need advice on 1.5 mile run progression and cardio

The minimum is 15 min and I'm at 15:15, but I need to get a better run time than that, the academy is a lot harder than the minimum.
>>
>>34155043
>100% (as in full effort) Sprints until you are too tired to Sprint anymore.
>Sprint more
>100m sprints
>In between Sprints you do light jog.

A lot of people can run 2 miles in under 15:15. Stop being a bitch and quitting. I wish someone would give me 15min to run 1.5 miles. I'd take a smoke break half way through.
Not that bad.

Hard mode: Have a buddy stand behind you with a resistance band around your waist pulling backwards as you Sprint
>>
>>34155114
this is retarded
>>
>>34155043
> 1.5 miles in 15 minutes

Nigga you could run that backwards. Honestly, if you lift, stop lifting and just do bodyweight and cardio. Extra weight will only slow you down.

Heres the routine you should be aiming for:
> day 1: 2 mile run at decent pace
> day 2: push ups, sit ups, pull ups, squats
> day 3: hill sprints/lamppost sprints/HIIT
> day 4: push ups, sit ups, pull ups, squats
> day 5: 2 mile run at decent pace
> day 6: long slow jog for at least 4 miles
> day 7: rest and recover
>>
>>34155043
Jesus that's slow, don't really have any advice except run more and push yourself more. Also try not to drink while you're doing your 2.4 it slows you down more then you think.
>>
>>34155043
Do you regularly go for a run?

A 2 mile run in the morning isn't bad and it will easily get you in shape to do a mile in 15 after just a bit of practice
>>
>>34155125
>not knowing that Sprint training is good for distance running

I'm not sure whether you just don't know what you're talking about or if you are OP and this sounds too hard for you.

>builds endurance
>builds strength
>trains lungs

You're retarded and probably unfit.
>>
File: 1496135019640.png (103KB, 466x586px) Image search: [Google]
1496135019640.png
103KB, 466x586px
>>34155232
I run a marathon at 3:28 and 3000m at 10:46. Many of my routnines include interval training.

But,
>proposing to a new guy with NO experience in running to go fucking GUNG HO running until he cant run anymore
>recipe for shin splints or runners knee
>proposing someone to hold him back while running forward. Sure might be good with extra resistance
>if you are a fucking running athlete
>which this guy is clearly not
>nor you apparantly

The dude needs to start easy, work his way up. Do some 4x4 intervals, the most effective method to increase running capacity. Do some longer runs for increased O2 uptake in your muscles.

FOLLOW A PROGRAM

And dont fucking listen to that other cunt
>>
>>34155269
I started off with
5x 100m sprints
1/2 mile light jog as a break
Did it 4 times a day.

He's obviously been running before. And has 2 months to train up. It's not like I told him to do 100x 100m sprints you fucking idiot. I didn't give him a fucking regemine. He asked for tips to help so I gave him tips you blind twat.

Also when people run after the first five or so minutes is when they feel like stopping or slowing down. It's a mental thing.

I gave him the advice he asked for. You can't say it's stupid then say it's a good idea but for pros only. You discredit yourself doing that you tard. Fuck off with your googled run results. No one cares. And give people the benefit of the doubt to not break themselves when working out. Most people quit far before that point.

Kys
>>
>>34155269
> thinking marathons are in any way relevant to short distance running
So youre either stupid or trying to enter a dick measuring contest. There are plenty of methods to get better at running. Yours is not the end all and be all best running scheme devised ever. If you want to dick measure, go on fit and start a running thread. Here, we're contributing our own opinions as to what will help OP.
>>
Have you tried, I don't know, running?
>>
>>34155269
Not really brag worthy times, probably couldn't manage that now but I broke 3km in under 10 minutes a couple times when I was in highschool.
>>
>>34155043
>drop 15 seconds in 2 months off 1.5 miles
Mate in two months I dropped form a 29 minute 3 mile to a 19 minute 3 mile
Just run every fucking day for at least 1.5 miles, personally i'd shoot for 2 miles every day in your case with one day that month being a longer run of at least 3 miles.
and make sure you break yourself off every fucking time you go running
>>
File: 1496273028188.jpg (296KB, 1280x881px) Image search: [Google]
1496273028188.jpg
296KB, 1280x881px
>>34155269
>taking hard mode of any post seriously and with anything other than a ton of salt.
>>
>>34155129

I lift constantly and I can still run, your "extra weight hurr" is typical cardio bunny shit.
>>
>>34155616
If youre OP id say 15 minutes for a 1.5 miler isnt running.

If youre not, cool you can run, but its not exactly rocket surgery to figure out that the heavier you are the harder it is to run. Im 80kg and can run a hell of a lot faster than when I was 90kg. If you build up lifting and running at the same time its fine, if you get huge and then try to run its a lot harder.
>>
>>34155637

I am not OP, just an athlete like yourself.

But this why I hate these threads, everybody comes out of the woodwork with their plan and totally superior knowledge, waving their dicks around and shit.
>>
>>34155649
Fair enough mate, just chipping in my 2 cents and what worked for me on my PFAs. Obviously there are a whole range of body and fitness types, Ive just noticed in PT its always the bulky guys who have a hard time. Obviously you get some freaks of nature who are built like brick shithouses and also great runners.
>>
>>34155043
Next time you run a 1.5 mile for time take note of your splits for each quater of a mile and figure out your pacing from there. Shaving 15 seconds off in two months is not that hard. Incorporate some hill sprints into your runs and sprints. Lets say you get done with a 2 mile run at a moderate pace for you, find a hill or some lamp posts and do 8 or so sprints. Short jog as a cool down. Run every single day and your time will drop.

>>34155269
>3000m at 10:46.
Nigger that was my High School steeple chase time.
>>
>>34155656

That's where I come in. I got myself bigger and bigger, and then stopped a good bit before the point where it hinders all other athleticism. I'm 15-20 pounds larger than most people my height with a strength index greater than 85% my height and weight, yet I can still run. That's because running is easy if you know how and still work it in on occasion.

I have bad legs and usually take hiking and biking over running, but still pop 100/100/85-90 on my PT tests.
>>
>>34155526
>"Obiously been running before"
>"tl;dr please help, only know how to put things up and down"

Alright, ill credit you for the sprints. that is a good excersise. But I know way to many people that have started off to hard and now have either shin splints or runners knee. That was my point.

As for the holding back while running thing. I cant really see the application seeing as the guy is struggling to get under 15 minutes on a 1.5 mile run, not a 60 meter sprint (where this technique might actually be helpful).

Results not googled, simply to add credibility since you assumed i was un/fit/

>>34155569
Marathons may not be the most relevant, that is true. 3k runs however are.

>>34155588
They were not for bragging. 3k under 10min is great
>>
Hijacking OPs' post a little, how can a 130 lb 5'8" skelly prepare for wildland firefighting? Been doing 4-6 mile runs, but just took the pack test and almost didn't make it. My knees are killing me. I've been inactive the past year. Need help, don't have money for a gym
>>
>>34156055

Do you have:

>heavy shit
>any fitness gear (bands/weights)
>a spare tire
>a sledgehammer
>access to swimmable water
>good shoes
>etc.
>>
>>34156119
Yes to all of these. I am afraid of messing up my joints before the season picks up, so I've been trying to do workouts to help with these that will actually prepare me. I wanted to do pack marches, but everyone keeps saying to stay away from those.
>>
>>34156686

Listen to me and listen good.

Eat. Eaaaaat. High protein, high carb. Continue doing enough regular cardio. More importantly, though, you need to eat and work your muscles until you gonna die. Pull-ups, push-ups, crunches, any weights you have, weighted squats, sledgehammer workouts with the tire, high-intensity swimming, lunges, crawls, etc.

And fucking EAT.
>>
>>34156686
Heres my advice from practicing rucking (tabbing as we call it) for the army if you want it.

Start off light; 10kg in a backpack is fine. Wear comfortable trainers with heel support, and do as much of it cross country as you can. Stay away from tarmac if possible.

Do NOT use weight plates unless you have literally nothing else; cans of dog food, bags of rice etc are ideal, or even better practice with the kit youll need to be carrying, just with some weight taken out.

At first, aim for 15 minute miles over fairly flat ground, no running whatsoever, for at least 5 miles. This should give you a good feel for what pace you need to maintain, stride length and cadence, how it affects your feet, posture etc. Once you can do that comfortably, move up to 20kg, and repeat. Once you can do that comfortably, switch to boots and maybe lower the weight or distance. Use the boots youll be working in.

Once youre comfy with 20kg and boots, start incorporating some more challenging terrain; undulating hills, heavy wooded terrain etc, again maintaining that 15 minute mile. If youre falling behind on time you can run, but at slow pace, ensuring youre landing midfoot. Do NOT run with weight on tarmac, your joints will hate you. Dont run for more than a few hundred metres at a time, the whole point is being able to maintain a constant walking speed.

The more you do, add more weight, more challenging terrain or time limits, but do it all gradually. Also, wear thick socks, boots fairly loose around the ankle, and have a pack of haribo or boiled sweets in your pocket to scoff down as you go along. Also, cycling shorts are great for it.

Hope im not telling you how to suck eggs, just my two cents worth. Best of luck mate
>>
>>34155043

>Border Patrol Applicant
You won't be making it through the polygraph, I hope you've been applying elsewhere.
>>
>>34156820
>>34156900
Highly useful information. I will take all of it seriously. I know it's not really a /k/ job, but I love this board and wanted to ask you guys about it first.
>>
>>34155043
>worried about the 1.5 mile run
Jesus it's not that hard, I can run 2 miles in ~11:10 on a good day
>>
>>34157207
It is not useful advice. It's terrible advice. You do not need to train with weight on your back. You should not work out with tools. A sledgehammer is a tool. You have no idea how to pack a bergen properly, so disregard the moron's advice entirely.

>Fastest way to master the 1.5 mile run?
Have fitted running shoes, with proper socks. Follow a 5k beginners program. Become confident at running 5km without stopping. Intensify the 5k program and increase to 10km. The 1.5 mile effort is not a training run, you should be running for far longer in training. Do not run with water unless you are running in severe heat, it's a distraction and probably the biggest beginners mistake.

Your 1.5 mile run should be below 10 minutes. You're going to achieve this by running a lot of medium distance runs, to build your pace and stamina. If you're really aiming to get the time down (sub 8 minute) you could start involving sprint work, but the above is more than sufficient to crack a 10 minute 1.5 mile run.

Or you could piss about with weights and sledgehammers and fucking hiking boots or whatever else idiots suggest.
>>
>>34157256
> the best way to practice for something is by not doing that thing and gently building up, especially something very specific like walking with weight, instead do something completely unrelated

Riiight...
>>
>>34155043

Run more, it's truly that simple.
>>
>>34155043
Just start running on the daily for 2.5-4 miles a day. Try to work yourself up to 4 miles. You'll loose mass this way, so at night or every other day do some standard PT working just to their standard.
>>
>>34155043
>Fastest way to master the 1.5 mile run?
being fast from the getgo, but I ran and swam competitively as a kid

jesus i hated the football fucks who called runners fags and used indoor and outdoor track as offseason physical fitness

hint, guess who can still do their sport and stay in shape throughout the course of their life without literal brain damage? some of us even "made it" (well, realistic shots at college scholarships or academy appointments)

or at least it served us well in infantry units, though at 5'5 and skinny ruckmarching fucking packed my shit in. thank god i wound up mechanized

still beat out a lot of the gymrats from not having retarded beach muscles, or just sheer grit and determination, who knew *insert retarded prefontaine quotes*
>>
Do 30 60s. Sprint 30 seconds. Walk 60. Repeat for 1.5 mile or more. Or just run 1.5 mile every day. Keep your head up, don't start off with a sprint and wear yourself out. Basic running shit
>>
>>34157736
btw, not aiming to shitpost, I just live around a bunch of morons with 13.1 stickers

I can sort of get behind bragging about marathons, though they wreck your body. that and jesus, bumper stickers are dumb

but 13 miles is a fairly "common" training run distance, either in the schedule, or #FuckItsSaturday #OopsISpacedOut #DamnIWasBored
>>
>>34157256

Sledgehammer workouts are great for you, looks like you're the moron.
>>
>>34158157
It's a gimmick for fat people
>>
>>34158166

Yeah, no.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.