[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is it about World War I that makes the pictures so

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 195
Thread images: 54

File: wwi-920-9.jpg (136KB, 920x572px) Image search: [Google]
wwi-920-9.jpg
136KB, 920x572px
What is it about World War I that makes the pictures so unnerving to look at?
>>
>>34148441
I don't know what you mean. What's wrong with that picture?
>>
File: bGFT8Lv.jpg (28KB, 350x433px) Image search: [Google]
bGFT8Lv.jpg
28KB, 350x433px
>>34148449
Just generally speaking WWI has some of the most creepy photos out there. More so than most other major wars imo.
>>
>>34148470
I think you just have a fear of gas masks
>>
File: Wilson.png (150KB, 500x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Wilson.png
150KB, 500x1944px
>>34148441
>>34148470
Millions of young men tricked to being sent to die horrible, gruesome deaths so Politicians and Generals can gain money, power and fame.
Gased, burnt alive, mutilated and performed experimental plastic surgery on, dismembered, all because the State called for them to die in essentially a dick measuring contest.
The fact they're in black and white makes it worse.

Think of the thousands of ANZACs the Brits sent bayonet first into Turk machine gun fire, aged barely 18. The splicers from Bioshock are accurate depictions of WWI plastic surgery.
For what? A Serb assassinated a dictator?
When people say they "prefer" WWI over WWII, I just get sad. What a horrible, awful war.
>>
>>34148512
Anon I know about the splicers.
>>
File: red baron.jpg (43KB, 510x824px) Image search: [Google]
red baron.jpg
43KB, 510x824px
>>34148512
The air war was pretty picturesque, though.
>>
>>34148505
>The only unsettling pictures from WWI were of gas masks
>>
>>34148441
New killing inventions plus nobody knew what the fuck they were doing with them plus harsh stalemated conditions.
>>
File: 1490851792266.jpg (152KB, 1400x1516px) Image search: [Google]
1490851792266.jpg
152KB, 1400x1516px
>>34148441
Wish I knew
>>
File: WhatHappenedToMickyMouse.jpg (287KB, 1124x796px) Image search: [Google]
WhatHappenedToMickyMouse.jpg
287KB, 1124x796px
>>34148441
>>34148470
I don't know, as I'm not an expert in the world wars, but let me take a crack at it.

First, this was the first real war that was "industrial". All wars up to the First World War were, to some extent, romantic. There was no "millions of casualties", no really fruitless attacks (disregarding wars like the Indian Wars where an obviously superior force anhilitated a vastly inferior force) until the First World War came about.

Second, it was a war of attrition and the "rules of war" we have today weren't drafted. What this means to you is that, not only were people dying in the millions in fruitless attacks, they were also falling to things like mustard gas which was fucking brutal (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulfur_mustard).

Third, it was arguably the first semi-"modern" war, at least uniform-wise. The uniforms look a lot like ones someone would wear today, giving the pictures a modern feel and connecting there.

Fourth, the economies of the world were not set up for a major war like this, so more thought was given to practicality over asthetics of equipment, giving the gear a very bulky, clunky, cheap, alien look - especially the fucking creepy as hell gas masks.

Fifth, the war was terrible as for both political reasons and for all of the terrible, nightmareish wounds suffered, and the ways to get injured (trench foot) or die (influenza) not including the usual ways to get injured/die in war conditions.

Sixth, the photos are all black and white and they come out grainy and looking corrupted, like something out of a horror movie.

I've been typing this for like 5 minutes, sorry if I repeat points others have made.
>>
>>34148441
The wide spread use of gas weapons and the equipment is very alien from what you're used to seeing. And since it is unusual your brain doesn't know how to respond as easily as something you are familiar with.
>>
>>
>>34148600
I totally forgot about the armenian genocide.

>>34148608
The gas was terrifying
>>
File: IsntThisASCP.jpg (27KB, 331x500px) Image search: [Google]
IsntThisASCP.jpg
27KB, 331x500px
>>34148627
DELET THIS

Seriously though, is this a terrible movie? I gotta know.

Unrelated, is pic related real or fake? I don't know anymore.
>>
File: verdun-poilus.jpg (322KB, 1070x762px) Image search: [Google]
verdun-poilus.jpg
322KB, 1070x762px
>>34148441
They always look like they've seen some shit
>>
File: are you fucking joking.jpg (173KB, 584x305px) Image search: [Google]
are you fucking joking.jpg
173KB, 584x305px
>>34148512
Man, I remember way back in high school reading about Wilson and thinking he was a dick for whatever reason that screwed us over. I don't remember the specifics of why, but it's kept up in my adult life. Fuck Wilson.
>>
>>34148644
It's real. iirc he was Royal Navy and took shrapnel to the face, died shortly after the surgery, within days or so.
>>
>>34148644
Someone posted clips from it on /tv/.
Its borderline ridiculous dialog wise and not very well done.
>>
>>34148672
I mean obviously it's not going to be great because they have her fighting for the wrong side, but whatever.

Thanks for the tip, I will avoid.
>>
>>34148658
I gotta give it to him that he violated the Constitution so fucking blatantly and publicly and got away with it that it's almost ridiculous.
>If you say out loud you disagree with war in earshot of my personal Gestapo you go to jail
>>
File: June1918_FrenchSoldiers.jpg (754KB, 1500x1063px) Image search: [Google]
June1918_FrenchSoldiers.jpg
754KB, 1500x1063px
>>34148441
The desperation to kill the enemy at any cost. There was no honor in the geopolitcal cause they all fought for. For the man on the ground, it was to be an instrument of death and nothing more. No value, no morality.
>>
>>34148512
>When people say they "prefer" WWI over WWII, I just get sad. What a horrible, awful war.
What a ridiculous thing to say.
>>
>>34148601
good shout lad
>>
File: go-boys-go.jpg (38KB, 538x406px) Image search: [Google]
go-boys-go.jpg
38KB, 538x406px
>>34148658
Maybe because of the Alien and Sedition acts that ran contrary to the 1st Amendment?

>>34148601
I think the people who like WWI more than WWII don't like it because of the "grusome death" aspect of it, more because it's a much more interesting war. There's much more to study, much more to understand, much more to know in general in WWI than WWII.

t. an anon who is fairly obsessed with WWI and the industrialization era up to the Cold War period
>>
File: don.jpg (350KB, 2800x2172px) Image search: [Google]
don.jpg
350KB, 2800x2172px
>>34148762
meant to reply to >>34148512, realized my mistake when I saw a (You)
>>
>>34148700
And history repeats itself...
>>
>>34148906
Fake news, wrong.
>>
>>34148441
Because Germany did a really good job of mauling the allies
>>
File: neuroses.jpg (22KB, 374x170px) Image search: [Google]
neuroses.jpg
22KB, 374x170px
I always think of the Great War as one of the most depraved events in human history, like if aliens or an intelligent AI looked back at what we did to each other just 100 years ago they'd be completely disgusted with humanity. I was nothing more than a family feud and an opportunity for the countries to test their new toys they'd developed at the turn of the century. Millions of young men killed and millions more left with trauma and PTSD for absolutely nothing
>>
>>34148644
>Seriously though, is this a terrible movie?
I'd say maybe around Iron Man 1 tier. Not perfect, but they got the character right and it's a good starting point for DC to build from, unlike the two prior Murderverse movies.
>>
>>34148441
Probably the sheer, unmitigated depravity of it
The commonly seen photos of WWII are of mobile combat and urban fighting, people in environments that look fucked up but fundamentally look familiar to what we see everyday
Most photos of WWI are of the blasted, alien hellscapes of the western front that are completely unlike anything most people have ever seen, the completely meaningless nature of an individual in the first world war really comes out in most of the photos as well, hundreds of corpses, people pressed like rats into filthy waterlogged trenches, most photos of WWII save ones of assembly grounds show platoon or company level combat, tank squadrons, that sort of thing, there aren't many photos of massive, 10k+ human wave attacks from WWII
The gear doesn't help either, usually they're wearing stuff that's either completely inappropriate like the bright uniforms from the start of the war or boxy gas masks and shit brown/grey clothing that dehumanizes them, they usually have all the same weapons, there's no real individuality in most of the pictures, that and the low quality black and white nature of the photography
>>
>>34148687
>I mean obviously it's not going to be great because they have her fighting for the wrong side, but whatever.
>Implying there was a right side in WWI
>Implying it wasn't just a huge cockup of every side being horrible because a Serb shot the Austrian Archduke
>>
>>34148762
WWII is intriguing to me because it's the war that broke the everything about warfare in the past. Everybody'd had 20 years to advance and practice with the shit from WWI, while collectively understanding they had to back off the really heinous shit that defined the European front.
>>
>>34148630
>totally forgot
Don't worry, so did the Turks.
>>
>>34148512
I feel you anon.

THE SOMME WAS A CULL!

THE END OF THE CHRISTMAS TRUCE IS THE GREATEST TRAVESTY OF THE MODERN TIMES!

Don't deny humanity!
>>
>>34150266
It gets fuck when you consider that Britain waged a propaganda war on an undecided United States. They cut Germany's transatlantic cable to the US so that ONLY British broadcasts on WWI could effectively reach America.

America has had ever bigger bliders on since then.
>>
>>34148441
>>34148600
>>34148601
>>34148722
>>34148732
>>34148762
Pictures from the front of the great war always freak me out, I think in part because of how desolate the landscape looks. In the photos I replied to here, you can see how horrible it looks. They're not fighting in the woods or in the mountains, they always seem to be in desolate plains devoid of any life. Like they're on another planet, or in the depths of Hell itself.

I'm not sure if it's just the style the photographers of the time were going for, or if it was due to limitations of photography at the time (especially combat photography), or if every battlefield in WWI really did look like a bombed out wasteland devoid of anything but mud, bodies, and smoke. You barely ever see more than a few feet around the subjects of the shot, like every photograph was taken in a heavy fog. When we do see background trees, they look horrible, dead. I guess it's all the poison gas that was used, no doubt it killed all vegetation in the area too. But the final effect of the smoke and desolation and destruction just makes every image look otherworldly.

Photographs have an amazing staying power with us, and looking at photos we can't help but imagine what it would be like to be the one taking the picture. In the case of nearly all WWI photos, the thought of standing in such a strange and alien landscape while men cried out in agony and poison gas rained from above is terrifying.
>>
>>34149181
That's what the Founding Fathers were talking about in their letters when they spoke of getting out and staying out of Europe's wars.

European royal family squabbles.
>>
>>34150432
And look who's the Mayor of London now.

Reap what you sow, stupid fucks.

Stop your evil and your sinning, conniving and deceiving to betray your fellow man, you destroy him and your children too, dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb bastards.
>>
>>34148441

>tfw you'll never fight in WW1
>tfw you'll never shoot Krauts with your trench gun before finishing them off by your bayonet while screaming "this is for the Lusitania, you dirty hun!"
>>
>>34148546
>those shorts
>>
>>34148722
What's really fucked up is that the photographer dragged that torso around and posed it to get a better shot
>>
>Great Grandfather was fighting for Germany
>Grandmother used to read me his diary entries
>Over the course of two days a mysterious new recruit shows up
>He has a bit of an accent, but not too bad
>Overly interested in communications and supplies
>Catch him fiddling qith equipment one day
>Bayonets him
>Was a spy after all
>Grandmom stops reading from it after that day
>Take a look at it when I'm older and visiting her
>After that day for a little over a month, he would write "What if I had been wrong?" in each entry
>>
>>34148441
I know this may sound like a faggoty thing to say, but I think WWI freaks people out because of all the death and suffering. If you believe in a unified human consciousness, and that consciousness isn't necessarily bound by time, then even 100 years later we can still feel the fear and despair caused by the great war. War is hell- but WWI is commonly regarded as actual hell on Earth. If you believe in that consciousness sort of thing...
>>
>>34150921
That IS fucked up.
>>
>>34150936
Anon, for the sake of human history please scan or photograph this thing.

I CAN HELP.
>>
What were the Central equivalent of the Allied medical techniques and prosthesis? Is there a marked difference?
>>
>>34148512
>Millions of young men tricked to being sent to die horrible, gruesome deaths so Politicians and Generals can gain money, power and fame.

I dunno about you, but it's pretty obvious what's gonna happen in war.
>>
File: IMG_1535.jpg (251KB, 570x699px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1535.jpg
251KB, 570x699px
>>34150480
There are plenty of terrible photos from wwII, it was a conflict on a completely different level of misery than wwI, especially for civilians

Look at this shit and tell me it's not one of the most fucked up things you've ever seen
>inb4 naziboos
>>
>>34150698
What are you 12 years old? Is that really what you want to experience? Taking away someone's life who had absolutely no choice in the matter?

Do you actually think American soldiers rallied around the sinking of the Lusitania like they did with Pearl Harbor?

>>>>they didn't
>>
>>34148441
Not creepy but if you've ever worn a gas mask while trying to do anything useful you'd know those soldiers were very fucking uncomfortable and couldn't see shit out of those tiny eyepieces.

Chems suck because they force you to wear chem gear. That causes greater degredation of combat ability then a few dead and maimed guys. It's amazingly nasty even with modern masks.

Back when the US took NBC shit seriously we routinely were in MOPP 4 for full twelve-hour shifts, but at least we got to go back to barracks or home and rest. Those poor fuckers on the front lines rarely did.
>>
>>34151142
Ww2 was worse, but they're aren't a lot of photos from some of the most gruesome battles because warfare was much less static.
>>
>>34150698
Go kill sand niggers, larping cunt. They are like reactive targets except they provoke less empathy than inanimate objects. You are proof yung Americans are stupid niggers even when they may be technically white.
>>
>>34151320
If I'm ever back up in Maryland visiting her, I'll be sure to try and get some pictures.

It's been a long time since I've seen it, but its got a very distinctive cover so finding it when I'm there shouldn't be tough unless one of my uncles took it already.
>>
>>34150921
Give him an A+ for motivation!

How many photogs would do that today?
>>
File: asdasd.jpg (628KB, 2048x1772px) Image search: [Google]
asdasd.jpg
628KB, 2048x1772px
>>34151471
*Cough Cough*
>>
>>34151399
>No use of large scale posion gas
>No use of mass infantry charges
>Much less focus on artillery (less shell shock)
>More advanced medical treatments
WWII wasnt as hellish. Who knows what would have happened if Russia actually truly was in WWI, the casualties may have been fairly equal as well.
>>
>>34151362
bergen-belsen camp (the one in your pic) was a concentration camp, not a death camp.
most of those deaths were caused by typhus, which was spread by allied bombings.
so i agree, that amount of death being treated so inconsequentially is one of the "most fucked up things i've ever seen", but nazis aren't the only ones who committed war crimes

i wouldn't consider myself a naziboo, i just get tired of the allies being put on a pedestal
>>
File: s4dTtBy.jpg (86KB, 384x313px) Image search: [Google]
s4dTtBy.jpg
86KB, 384x313px
>>34151612

>Allied bombings were responsible for people dying in Nazi camps
>>
>>34150432
You say that like Germany didn't torpedo the everloving shit out of our Atlantic merchant fleets and them attempt a conspiracy with those shifty Mexicans.
>>
>>34148512
Wilson also created the federal reserve, instituted the income tax (which is technically illegal), and even invited the motherfucking KKK into the white house.
>>
>>34151632
Not him but
>Cut supply lines
>LOOK AT ALL THESE UNDERFED PEOPLE WHO ARE SUPPOSED TO BE WORK HORSES WHY DIDN'T THEY HAVE FOOD
>>
>>34151654

>Created the Federal Reserve

This isn't a bad thing.

>instituted the income tax (which is technically illegal)

I don't like income tax but it's not illegal.

>even invited the motherfucking KKK into the white house

The KKK was an extremely popular group at the time.
>>
File: pow1.jpg (56KB, 653x543px) Image search: [Google]
pow1.jpg
56KB, 653x543px
>>34151672

>Enslave massive numbers of people
>Don't feed them enough food

GRRRRRRRR......THE ALLIES DID THIS.
>>
>>34151644
>like GB/America weren't shipping military goods on ships that flew the US flag to avoid being sunk
>like Germany didn't tolerate us for a really long time
>like Germany and the US didn't both understand that Mexico had just had a revolution and was about as weak as a newborn
>>
>>34148601
>First, this was the first real war that was "industrial". All wars up to the First World War were, to some extent, romantic

The Crimean War and American Civil War were the first true modern wars, with massive amounts of casualties being due to new technology being mixed with outdated tactics.

>>34151612
Where's that german war crimes denial gif?

>>34151675
The federal reserve has way too much say over the economy. It indirectly caused the 2008 crash by artificially lowering interest rates, causing people to over-invest in risky markets. When the housing market took a nosedive, everyone's investments went along with it. The federal reserve needs to be audited.

I'm not going to get into the part about the income tax, but we can at least agree that Wilson was a crock of shit.
>>
>US plays war profiteer for years to both sides, favoring the allies a bit more
>Pearl Harbor
>WTF WE DINDU NUFFEN
>>
>>34148441
It was the most civilized and noblest race of man going to their most inhumane and barbaric deaths
>>
>>34151702
My Grandfather was captured by the Germans. After the war he spent a year at a red cross renourishment camp because the Germans did that to him
>>
>>34148441
ww1 was a shitshow with no real "bad guys" except for the monarchs who sent thousands of young men to their deaths.

WW! is a travesty of human nature that's still affecting our world
>>
>>34151632
>>34151702
i wasn't trying to imply that nazi's weren't responsible for the death of millions of civilians, i only wanted to express that nazis weren't the only evil in WWII.
the allies bombed german territory almost indiscriminately, whether the target population be combatant or civilian.
the bombings themselves killed plenty of innocents, but the spread of disease resulting from said bombings rose the civilian death count drastically (civilians being german citizens and/or victims of nazi enslavement)
>>
>>34151741
>The federal reserve has way too much say over the economy. It indirectly caused the 2008 crash by artificially lowering interest rates,
That's a very poor reading of the financial crisis.

And you do realise that the fed is regularly audited and the politicians who push "audit the fed" are really just trying to end the organisations independence so that they can transfer money-printing power to congress, right? And that the legislature controlling money printing leads you down the path of Zimbabwe and Weimar Germany as politicians hand out money to secure re-election and pay debts?
>>
>>34151817
Maybe nazis shoulda thought of that before they did the same thing first.
>>
File: Dresden4Chan.png (508KB, 643x643px) Image search: [Google]
Dresden4Chan.png
508KB, 643x643px
>>34151817
>the allies bombed german territory almost indiscriminately, whether the target population be combatant or civilian.
>>
File: ofuckherecomesthewheraboos.gif (616KB, 540x373px) Image search: [Google]
ofuckherecomesthewheraboos.gif
616KB, 540x373px
>>34151741
Here you go.
>>
>>34151817

>the allies bombed german territory almost indiscriminately

The Allies suffered FAR more in terms of civilian deaths and it isn't even questionable. Yeah, it sucks that ordinary Germans were hurt by the war but other countries aren't evil for defending themselves from a mad dictator who wanted to subjugate, or in many cases exterminate, them all.
>>
>>34151828
the murder of civilians is never justified, even as an act of reprisal
>>
>>34151863

Somebody should have told Hitler that. Maybe he would have finally stopped bombing London.
>>
Don't worry guys it's fine.
Germany's just about finished conquering Europe. Third time's the charm I guess.
>>
>>34151362
If you had a bunch of dead bodies for any reason, that's what it'd look like.

Typus. On a national level.

Corpse centralization is just a smart thing.

I guess I have a mixed feeling of wanting proof that isn't open to interpretation, and having a very grim opinion for all characteristics of death (especially mental/spiritual) in WWI.
>>
>>34151912

If somebody dies in your custody, it is your fault.
>>
>>34151456
Ffs. Do we need to exchange throwaways?
>>
>>34151718
Are you seriously trying to defend German u-boats sinking civilian ships because the British were desperate for help and cut off fucking telegraphs from a non-allied power?
>>
>>34151741

>but we can at least agree that Wilson was a crock of shit

On the contrary, Wilson was the lone sane man in a room of short-sighted fools. If only his 14-points had made it into the Treaty of Versailles, WW2 would have been completely averted.
>>
>>34152035
The depression caused WW2, not the treaty of Versailles. The Nazi's always experianced their political high points during depressions, and Hitler probably would have faded into obscurity of the great depression didn't happen.
>>
Germany did nothing wrong.
They were forced into a position where they had no choice but to go to war by the machinations of the Jewish World Council.

Even England itself didn't initially want to fight against Germany, but was pushed into it by the conniving Semites.

Who truly wins when Europeans kill Europeans?

Wake up, sheeple.
>>
File: warning.gif (113KB, 534x453px) Image search: [Google]
warning.gif
113KB, 534x453px
>>34151961
Yes. It's not like the Germans actively tried to spread things like this around which were actively supressed by both the American and British governments in an attempt to justify Americans entering the war.

It's not like the Germans exclusively sunk ships carrying war supplies or anything.

It's not like the Germans also desperately needed help as well.

It's not like the Brits were pissed because Berlin was becoming the new London.

It's not like the Brits allied with the side that killed 1.5 million Christians.
>>
>>34152063

>The Nazi's always experianced their political high points during depressions

And what was their standard talking point during those times?
>>
>>34151933
What are you even trying to say.
>>
>>34152066

>Meanwhile, Germany allied with a country that killed 1.5 Armenians
>>
>>34152087
Usually catchphrases from communists, replacing owners of production and Jews for society's woes, while at the same time being bankrolled by the krupp corporation. The Treaty of Versailles just became a talking point during the 30's when he wanted to take land.
>>
>>34152063
>implying the world war didn't help significantly in bringing about the depression

>implying the Treaty of Versailles didn't intensify the German depression

I'm running out of energy for this posting at the moment, but I'll find the facts tomorrow and post them here.
>>
>>34148441
op, i apologize for contributing to the derailment of this thread
if i came off as a nazi sympathizer, that wasn't my intention
i'll stop posting after this

>>34151863
this is my stance regarding any side of any conflict
>>
>>34152091

You're making excuses for mass murder.

>BUT IT WAS TYPHUS

So? If somebody is sick and you deny them medical care you're guilty of murder.
>>
>>34152110
The Treaty of Versailles was extremely lenient, less harsh than the treaty France paid after the Franco-Prussian war, and the Brest-Litovsk Treaty levied against Russia. Many of the payments were deferred or loaned away by the US. They also basically circumnavigated the military rules, and built up an air force and modern military.
>>
>>34152107

Versailles was very central to Nazi rhetoric from the beginning.
>>
>>34152121
Nobody is entitled to medical care.
>>
>>34152184
No, it was always a workers party, with it's first name actually being "German Workers Party". The rhetoric was redirected at later stages to attract the investment of right wing capitalists in Germany at the time.
>>
>>34152121
Not him, but I agree. If your prisoners are sick, it's your duty to treat them.
The nazis neglected to treat their prisoners, which is unjust.
However, when the spread of disease is expedited as a result of indiscriminate enemy bombings, the allocation of blame becomes more nebulous.
>>
19th century tactics and mindset colliding with 20th century killing power.

Imagine being one of the first young volunteers. All you knew of war were romanticized stories about Napoleon, cavalry charges, redcoats holding back Zulus, ect. You get issued your blue uniform and red pants with bright brass buttons. Then you are ordered to line march into machine guns and artillery.
>>
>>34152136
this, german finance policy/inability to borrow from neutral markets during the war was what fucked them far more than the treaty of versailles
>>
File: 250[1].jpg (30KB, 250x616px) Image search: [Google]
250[1].jpg
30KB, 250x616px
>tfw you will never die while for no reason charging at the enemy machine guns who have no reason to shoot you
>>
>>34152233
Nice double dubs, and that just ties into the financial troubles that gave the Nazi's votes from regular laberors.
>>
>>34152241
>The mark, after all, stabilized against the dollar in late 1920 and early 1921, and inflation briefly reached an annual level of just 2 percent before the London reparations ultimatum of May 1921. Barry Eichengreen and Gerald Feldman suggest, respectively, that in crucial ways reparations were “ultimately responsible for the inflation,” or that they served as a powerful “disincentive to stabilize.” By contrast, Niall Ferguson argues that reparations were not primarily to blame. Germany could have paid them without destroying its economy: its debt burden in 1921 as a percentage of GDP was actually slightly lower than Great Britain’s. Instead, to appease the domestic critics of the Treaty of Versailles, German leaders on both ends of the political spectrum pursued a deliberate policy of fiscal deficits to induce the Entente powers to dismantle the reparations system. Yet Ferguson, like Eichengreen and Feldman, still finds the roots of the hyperinflation in Germany’s post-war policies, not in its wartime finance.
also this
>>
>>34152198

Prisoners of war are entitled to healthcare. This is in the Geneva conventions, which Germany was party to.
>>
>>34152220

>the allocation of blame becomes more nebulous

Not at all. Prisoners in your custody are your responsibility. External factors are irrelevant.
>>
>>34151817
>the allies bombed german territory almost indiscriminately, whether the target population be combatant or civilian.
There was pretty much always a strategic target in the area being bombed, it was just fuckall impossible to put the bombs of the time from altitudes mostly safe from AAA onto target without saturation bombing.
>>
>>34152276
Legally, you're correct- and I suppose that's all that matters in the end
>>
>>34152063
Without the Treaty's excessive reparations terms and blaming of Germany for all of WWI, the hyper-inflation of Weimar Germany wouldn't have happened.
>>
>>34152345
Like I said earlier, the Treaty's reparations were forgiven and deferred a lot. Compared to treaties they leveled against France and Russia, Versailles was very light. Also, the hyper-inflation was used as a tool to wipe the debt of huge companies, at the short term detriment to the country.
>>
>>34152365
>>34152345
>>34152320
>>34152318
>>34152276
>>34152265
>>34152252
>>34152241
I think the real problem is that people from the world war I era just look creepy.
>>
>>34152064
>they had no choice but to go to war by the machinations of the Jewish World Council.
OK, fuck off /pol/. They joined in the war because of the ludicrous alliance web of the time between the very interbred nobility of Europe (King George V of England and Tsar Nicholas II of Russia were so closely related as to be mistaken for twins) that dragged them into the war and forced them to take the largest role.
>>
>>34152318
Of course- there would be no reason to bomb completely civilian centers
The belligerent to civilian death ratio in said bombings must be considered when determining war crimes, however
When civilians are killed more often than soldiers, that's not war, that's just murder

Both sides of the war unforgivable
>>
>>34152385

>When civilians are killed more often than soldiers, that's not war, that's just murder

Let's look at the chart then. Which side killed more civilians than soldiers?

>>34151844
>>
>>34152382
That picture and regular implication always makes my mind think "most men look the same in BW photos with full beards. Especially similarly styled beards".

Look at civil war photos.
>>
>>34152477
It's historically noted that the two of them looked freakily alike and when together often used that to fuck with people.
>>
>>34152519
Yeah, but their eyes are so different and much of what makes them seem similar is their ridiculous "uniform" outfits and matching styles in hair.

They were very much also following the same fashion trends. Any /fa/got knows that can cause uncanny twininess.

And honestly, people 100 years ago wrote about these guys like 12 year olds talk about pop icons. It's all stupid and unreliable as a true world baseline ne.
>>
>>34152400
The Axis- that part isn't up for debate. Nazis systematically exterminated entire cultures- hence the 58% figure. Killing civilians was their goal.

Assuming that graphic is accurate, 4% of all Axis deaths were civilian.
That means out of all Axis deaths, almost 24% of Axis deaths were civilian.
That means 6 civilians died for every 25 belligerents dead.

It isn't about who killed the most civilians, it's about who needlessly killed them at all
>>
File: IMG_1333.jpg (145KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1333.jpg
145KB, 1024x768px
>>34151362
>Looking back at old thread
>mfw my single picture completely derailed it
>mfw it doesn't matter whose "fault" it was the picture is still fucked up to look at
>>
>>34151571
>firebombing & flammenwerfers
>humans literally being cooked to death
>Japanese and Russian infantry famous for human wave tactics
>artillery was still important & bombs cause shell shock just the same
>medical still a shit

WWII was absolutely more hellish

>Russia wasn't actually in WWI
Oh okay I see you have no idea what you're talking about. Russia had huge casualties during the Great War

Read a fucking book you stupid cunt
>>
>>34151571
>Who knows what would have happened if Russia actually truly was in WWI
You are fucking retarded
Please stop posting
>>
>>34152713
The thing is I don't even think he's trolling, he's just really really stupid
>>
File: 1493027129065.jpg (63KB, 634x679px) Image search: [Google]
1493027129065.jpg
63KB, 634x679px
>>34151571

>Who knows what would have happened if Russia actually truly was in WWI
>>
>>34151702

Those commies deserved it.
>>
>>34152949

>American POW's are commies
>>
>>34148512
Not to let Wilson off the hook, but he didn't sell Germany down the river. He tried and tried to make sure everyone played nice, but the major reason why the German Empire lost literally everything was France. At that time French rage probably could have been bottled into a concentrated form, they blamed Germany for literally every fucking thing that happened and wanted them to pay forever for it.

Britain didn't help matters, of course, but it was really France that made WWII happen.

Wilson's ineptitude was really obvious here as the parties at the table sought to make Germany pay for what had happened. Japan was disgusted by the whole thing because they had participated in the war and were utterly fucking ignored at the table, which as we all know would have dire consequences later on. Had Wilson been flat-out adamant that the USA would bust some motherfucking chops if people didn't play ball, we might have had just The Great War and not two World Wars.

I say this as somebody who thinks Wilson was a fascist son of a bitch too.
>>
File: 1329504801035.jpg (186KB, 926x750px) Image search: [Google]
1329504801035.jpg
186KB, 926x750px
My favorite depection of WWI is the art of Hans Zimmer, a veteran.

His art is powerful.
>>
File: 1329504961302.jpg (308KB, 1600x1079px) Image search: [Google]
1329504961302.jpg
308KB, 1600x1079px
He originally did not want to exhibit his war related works, but was convinced by a friend who argued that the art exhibition could help prevent future wars.
>>
File: Dix011.jpg (132KB, 492x600px) Image search: [Google]
Dix011.jpg
132KB, 492x600px
>>34153001
>Hans Zimmer
sorry its late...

I meant Otto Dix.

Otto Dix
>>
>>34152979

The worst thing was that America had insisted on forming a league of nations and then refused to join it themselves, rendering the whole thing pointless.
>>
File: glenbow-near-langemark-feb1918.jpg (221KB, 1000x822px) Image search: [Google]
glenbow-near-langemark-feb1918.jpg
221KB, 1000x822px
Otto Dix enthusiastically volunteered for service, and fought at the Battle of the Somme, and the German Spring Offensive.
He was traumatized by the atrocities of war, suffering nightmares and depression
>>
>>34149181
You really think it was all new?

There was no difference between the industrialized carnage unleashed in WWI and the barbaric face to face stab and slash fests that took place in antiquity. Prior to WWI, western nations had been using their modern tools against 3rd world savages with abandon, but it wasn't until they used them against each other that they realized the consequences of their actions.
>>
File: Otto-Dixs-Skull-from-his--001.jpg (459KB, 460x616px) Image search: [Google]
Otto-Dixs-Skull-from-his--001.jpg
459KB, 460x616px
He stayed in Germany until the Nazi regime caused him to be fired from his post as an art professor at the Dresden Academy.
>>
File: otto-dix.jpg (87KB, 600x402px) Image search: [Google]
otto-dix.jpg
87KB, 600x402px
If you anyone is really interested in WW1 Catastrophe 1914: Europe Goes to War
by Max Hastings is a superb book. I highly recommend it.
>>
>>34153100
I saw an exhibition of his work while I was in Europe a couple years ago.

Fucking horrific.
>>
>>34152979
>Wilson's ineptitude
See that's where you're wrong faggot. The US did not have as much leverage as you think they did, threatening to bust some chops would have been met with being told to fuck off.

Believe it or not the US has not always been a world hegemon
>>
>>34151863
>the murder of civilians is never justified, even as an act of reprisal

Fucking BULLSHIT.

"Civilians" are just pussies unwilling to put their ass on the line in a straight up fight. "Civilians" are the most important logistics branch of any military, for without them, a military has no equipment to fight with, no replacement troops, and no budget to perpetuate their war.

FUCK "civilians", and anybody thinks they aren't legitimate targets.
>>
>>34153044
No you dumbass, it was Wilson who insisted on the 14 points
It failed to pass through the legislature by a fairly close margin.
The prez=\=America
>>
File: 1329504832186.jpg (825KB, 1172x771px) Image search: [Google]
1329504832186.jpg
825KB, 1172x771px
Most modern historians, since around the 80 agree Germany was the primary instigator
>>
>>34153086
The shit in the colonies was on a MUCH smaller scale. We're talking millions of people here, not a couple thousand tribesman. Besides at least those conflicts were for an actual commodity, bringing in revenue to the empire. WW1 was incredibly pointless
>>
File: the-goodbye-to-hamburg-1921.jpg (580KB, 1478x2269px) Image search: [Google]
the-goodbye-to-hamburg-1921.jpg
580KB, 1478x2269px
>>34153145
Cool, about what size were they?
>>
>>34153157
This depends on what kind of war is being fought. If we're discussing ww1/ww2 then absolutely.
>>
File: 800.jpg (294KB, 800x1177px) Image search: [Google]
800.jpg
294KB, 800x1177px
I like reading old Onion Articles.
>>
>>34153202
>This depends on what kind of war is being fought.

No it doesn't.

Civilians are legitimate targets, and only dumb ass western nations think otherwise.
>>
>>34153155
Oh come the fuck down from it, we were in the best position to demand things because we had just mobilized for war and were the only ones utterly untouched by it. For all intents and purposes we were actually a world hegemon, and we actually had the means to back up a threat.

>>34153044
Pretty much.

>>34153157
>children are a legitimate military target
Woah there, kiddo! Easy with that edge!

You're going to get a HECK of a cut on it if you're not careful. Better sit back down, the adults are talking.

>>34153170
>reeee
Shut up. Fucking obviously the entire country didn't have a national referendum and go, "hey let's make a league of nations!!!" because that's stupid, he obviously meant the American government, i.e. Wilson.
>>
>>34153191
Varied. IIRC the smallest was about the size of a postcard, the largest a bit over A3.

They had big warnings up outside the exhibit too, saying it would be traumatising for younger visitors.
>>
>>34153243
>using the stupid fucking "edgy" meme

Children are legitimate targets as they are used as combatants, to gather intelligence ,and relay communications for the enemy.

If civilians don't want to get killed, then they should ensure their leaders use diplomacy to resolve issues, rather than war, or they should take up arms and defend their nations themselves instead of relying on others to do it for them.
>>
File: autistic child.jpg (15KB, 269x269px) Image search: [Google]
autistic child.jpg
15KB, 269x269px
>>34153477
>>using the stupid fucking "edgy" meme

Hmm...
>Children are legitimate targets
>as they are used as combatants, to gather intelligence ,and relay communications for the enemy
>If civilians don't want to get killed, then they should ensure their leaders use diplomacy to resolve issues
>they should take up arms
>defend their nations themselves instead of relying on others to do it for them

>they should ensure their leaders use diplomacy
>defend their nations themselves

>children
>children should take up arms

You're saying toddlers who have just barely mastered not shitting in their pants should bust out the ARs and make sure Trump doesn't do anything drastic.

I think the reason why you're so upset about the "edgy meme" is that you've encountered somebody calling you an edgelord faggot before. They did this because you are, you're katana-posting at this point.

Go take your thorazine.
>>
>>34153599
>doubles down on the stupid fucking "edgy" meme

You seem upset, pumpkin.
>>
File: wUYdHfz.jpg (113KB, 541x486px) Image search: [Google]
wUYdHfz.jpg
113KB, 541x486px
>>
File: the-blade.jpg (18KB, 473x586px) Image search: [Google]
the-blade.jpg
18KB, 473x586px
>>34153672
Hahaha, nice backpedal. I didn't ree about being called a fedora-wearing faggot, but you sure did.
>>
>>34153672
>You seem upset, pumpkin.
Uh buddy I'm pretty sure you just proved his point. That's like one step above saying 'heh nothing personnel, kid'.
>>
File: spoils_of_war.png (472KB, 399x523px) Image search: [Google]
spoils_of_war.png
472KB, 399x523px
>>34150936
>distant uncle was part of tight-knit german diaspora community in canada
>goes to fight for the canadian expeditionary forces at the start of the war
>gets shit from his family and neighbours for possibly killing other huns
>>
>>34152979
>Britain didn't help matters, of course, but it was really France that made WWII happen.
>some random serb shoots a dude
>A-H wants to annex serbia as a response
>germany is actually retarded enough to back this up
>germany thinks russian military exercise is actually general mobilization
>germany invades neutral nation it promised not to
but france is at fault I guess
>>
>>34148546
>went insane
>>
>>34148601
The American civil war was fairly industrial and pointlessly destructive
>>
>>34154628
everyone knows it was Germany's fault. The famus "Blank Cheque" building up arms and multiple diaries and other primary sources show that Germany was the instigator, they wanted a war.
>>
File: 1924.003-GasVictims.jpg (84KB, 500x357px) Image search: [Google]
1924.003-GasVictims.jpg
84KB, 500x357px
>>34153680
I remember a poem about a WW1 soldier who is in Valhalla. You keep your wounds when you die I guess, and some of the other denizens were questioning why a man was relatively unscathed. He saved his platoon by sounding the gas warning before he took the time to put on his own mask. He died, but he saved many with his warning.

Anyone know what poem I'm talking about?
>>
>>34148441
grainy af and b&w
>>
>>34148512

The Germans attacked a neutral country and shot thousands of civilians and burned entire villages when the Belgian militia had the audacity to fire at soldiers invading their country. Don't try to sell me this "no bad guys" shit.

It is an absolute fucking myth also that soldiers were not fighting for a higher cause they believed in in WW1. The French, Belgians and Germans were both fighting for national salvation. The British were fighting to defend the freedom of the nations. Italians were fighting to liberate Trentino and make whole their nation. Everyone had a cause to fight for at least as much as WW2.
>>
>>34152979

The only thing Versailles did wrong was allowing Germany to continue to exist. They should have been liquidated as a nation.

Versailles was NOT too harsh. It was a pat on the ass compared to how we ended WW2.
>>
>black and white photos
>early gas masks
Spooooooky.
>>
>>34155963
Sure, that worked great when we divided up the Middle East, right?
>>
File: IMG_0739.jpg (75KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0739.jpg
75KB, 500x750px
>>34155991
>lol ebin XD!!
This is a World War I vet with shell shock. Do you still think the war wasn't creepy you edgy fuck?
>>
>>34153243
The American people and its government aren't some unified singular body you twat. Some wanted a League of Nations, others didn't. End of fucking story.
That's like saying
>America wanted to create the Paris Accord
>BUT THEN THOSE IDIOTS BACKED OUT

Oh and to think that we would actually threaten our allies with our fledgling military simply because we wanted to protect Germany is incredibly stupid and exposes your inability to understand even basic diplomacy. We were in no way shape or form a hegemon

Yet again:
>America =\= Wilson
>The government =\=Wilson
>>
File: IMG_1537.png (915KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1537.png
915KB, 750x1334px
>>34156089
Holy shit

>IT HAS TITTIES
>>
>>34154666
It was also still firmly in the era of line formation combat and muzzle-loaders. Breech-loaders were still too rare for general issue. WWI was when machine guns and chemical warfare hit.
>>
>>34155963
>>34156003

>we
You didn't do anything, you idiots.
>>
>>34153011
That's Otto Dix' "Storm Troopers"
>>
>>34151863
In WW2 Germany the whole population were a part of the war machine in one way or another.
Bombing the population = Reducing the workforce and lowering morale.
>>
>>34156470
IIRC it is "Stormtroopers Advance under Cover of Gas"
>>
>>34151571
>>No use of mass infantry charges
Tell that to all the dead Russians on the eastern front
>>Much less focus on artillery (less shell shock)
Are you retarded for real? Again, look at the eastern front.
>>
>>34156584

>They had high casualties therefore they were doing bayonet charges
>>
File: 220px-Lemay4.jpg (16KB, 220x330px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Lemay4.jpg
16KB, 220x330px
>>34151840
Got one for the US?
>>
>>34148601
How's US History post 1865 class going
>>
>>34148732
Dem 54r 1895's
>>
>>34148539
It was a gentleman's air war
>>
>>34148512

He was one of the worst presidents we ever had.
>>
>>34148512
More non-colonials died in gallipoli than colonials
>>
>>34151632

Er, yes, that is what he is saying. Of course, we could play the "Whose fault was it in the first place" and raise the point if they hadn't been put in camps in the first place then there wouldnt be a problem, but that is rather irrelevant from the fact that deaths were (indirectly) caused by the Allies that would not have occurred otherwise, and that is a revolting fact.
>>
>>34148441
It has to do with the crudeness of everything. Gas was just invented in the war, so they needed to do something about it, which leads to these crude near prototype tier masks being put out.

Then it gets piled on with how dismal the trenches appear and were. And then the crudeness of how they are dressed, everything is Mk.1 and they look like they are in dress uniforms with new haphazard prototype tier armor and equipment. Everything makes it look alien as there is the hybrid of old style, dress uniform soldiers with destructive and industrialized warfare. They are dirtier than one would expect for how they are dressed.

Every element of the war makes it look really unsettling, just all of it. There is no one element that lends it that aesthetic.
>>
File: 32f0ed3d4d68b139213ebae96067ea0a.jpg (120KB, 542x1200px) Image search: [Google]
32f0ed3d4d68b139213ebae96067ea0a.jpg
120KB, 542x1200px
>>34153011
>>
>>34152035
>If only his 14-points had made it into the Treaty of Versailles, WW2 would have been completely averted.
Which 14 points?
>>
>>34157953
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourteen_Points
Jesus fuck, have you literally never taken a history class?
>>
>>34157991
Sorry, didn't know it was called 14 Points speech. Not American.
>>
File: way to read, you fucking idiot.jpg (62KB, 500x634px) Image search: [Google]
way to read, you fucking idiot.jpg
62KB, 500x634px
>>34154628
>talking about WWII
>retarded anon lists reasons for WWI
Pic related.

>>34155963
>allowing Germany to continue to exist
Oh yeah sure, you bet, that would've worked out swell.

There's nothing I can say to this except: "you're dumb." If the thing doesn't work and fails spectacularly, doing more of the thing even harder sure as shit isn't going to make things better. You're the type of asshole who comes limping into an ER with a busted lightbulb in his asshole, because he ignored the goddamn warnings of his sphincter and kept pushing.

>>34156125
>the american people and it's government aren't the same REEEEEEEE
I said -exactly- that in my post, you stupid, stupid summer child.

Pic related.

Yet again:
>learn to read
>you fucking idiot

I remember a time when a guy could leave /k/ overnight and come back to see that he had replies, and intelligent posts would be waiting for him, it was a happier and simpler time and I miss those days.
>>
>>34157676
William Henry Harrison.
>>
>>34157730
>It's totally the Allies fault that people packed into death camps were killed slightly faster than planned!
>>
File: Screenshot_20170604-121620.png (338KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170604-121620.png
338KB, 1080x1920px
>>34148512
Seriously.
>>
File: german-trenches-wwi-drdb5r[1].jpg (108KB, 640x481px) Image search: [Google]
german-trenches-wwi-drdb5r[1].jpg
108KB, 640x481px
>>34157776
>Then it gets piled on with how dismal the trenches appear and were.
Well, the French side trenches were intentionally left rough and in a hasty build scenario because they wanted to motivate the troops to want to press forward always. The Germans put a lot more effort into making the trenches livable and not a lice and trench-foot generation system.
>>
>>34155869
Is it "How Rifleman Brown came to Valhalla"?
>>
File: 1455411185262.jpg (33KB, 450x339px) Image search: [Google]
1455411185262.jpg
33KB, 450x339px
>>34158262

>Wilson is bad because of the Volstead Act
>A law which he vetoed
>>
>>34148441
The A E S T E T I C
Thread posts: 195
Thread images: 54

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.