[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

With all the hub-bub about global warming, are there any actual

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 9

File: 1415072624269.jpg (215KB, 1250x833px) Image search: [Google]
1415072624269.jpg
215KB, 1250x833px
With all the hub-bub about global warming, are there any actual meaningful military or strategic implications of global warming for the US, relative to the strategic rivals around the world? Arguably the majority of the US is landlocked, so would the US actually be as significantly impacted militarily as, lets say, China or most of Europe?

As far as I know, the US has no major population centers or strategic military facilities anywhere near any coast lines with the exception of a couple of naval bases in Virginia and Hawaii...
>>
File: IMG_3184.jpg (90KB, 574x600px)
IMG_3184.jpg
90KB, 574x600px
>Global Warming
> 0.7 degrees F in the next 150 years
>Give Trillions to Jews so we can feel good.

kYS
>>
>>34144621
Dude there is no such thing,Im not even american or supporter of america but you president is a smart guy.
Taking care of your economy is number one priority,if anything the agreement is half baked with no designated rules or sanctions on the participant countries.
If anything USA got ahead just because other countries decided to gimp themselves,including China in 30 years.
>>
>>34144634
I don't even care about how much the temperature goes up

even if it goes up by like 20 degrees and the ocean goes up by 20 feet it wouldn't actually be an issue for the US I don't think, the chinese and the russians would get flooded out but the US would be fine, there's not really much coastline
>>
uwut? Fuckloads of major population centres are on the coast.

Anyway yes. Russia gains significant naval mobility when the Arctic opens up
>>
>>34144621
Ok I'll take the bait you fucking mongoloid shit stain.

Huge goddamn Pistons of the us populations live on the coasts. New York, Los Angles, corpus Christi, Miami. Just to name a few, and military bases are in those areas, hard to launch planes when the air Base is under water. Those naval Base in Virginia and Maine are already having problems with docks and piers getting submerged.

http://www.climatecentral.org/news/sea-levels-rise-20-feet-19211

Research shit like this you faggot.

Until you actually read some shit and learn, the only time you should open your mouth is to drink your dad's cum, that's clearly been your diet for decades for you to be that retarded.
>>
>>34144641
Christ you're dumb. Global warming is a fact, temperatures are risings, sea level is rising, ice caps are melting.
Did humans cause it? No one knows.
>>
Most major population centres around the world are built on the coast or on a river. The projected rise with everything going as perfectly as possible is 2.7C if I recall correctly. If this results in massive glacial/ice melting sea levels will rise a non trivial amount, and will displace millions through flooding and resultant inhospitable conditions. Parts of Florida are already beginning to struggle with increased flooding, and major other population centres like new York are below the projected sea level rise. This alone would cause a massive refugee burden just within the US (as in US citizen refugees) let alone from around the world.

Major storms are also increasing in strength, as hurricanes are fueled by warm water. The warmer the water the stronger the storm will be, and this can already be seen by the increased frequency of category 4/5 storms, which when they achieve landfall usually cause absolute devastation (think new Orleans, or look at pictures of hurricane Andrew in Florida to see what happens when a cat 5 hits). As again major population centres are on the coast and this would cause a refugee burden, though of a more temporary nature than the sea level rise, and could be a major drain on government finances in disaster relief.

Another MAJOR impact will be food production, large areas are forecast to no longer be farmable, or at a reduced productivity level, which affects food security (think the dustbowl in the 30s or whenever it was, it's returning to that). Tied to this is water supply variation, as we saw with the faggots in California.

So in military terms, I would say significant strategic impact on basic resource stability and distribution (food/water/housing), combined with globally the biggest refugee crisis you can imagine as people are forcibly displaced by shifting and expanding uninhabitable zones. All of these will, whether people want to think outside the us or not, will place significant additional demands on the military.
>>
>>34144649
quality post. More ocean for CSGs
>>
Hey Miami, have you guys figured out your backing up storm sewer systems yet? Sea water still pushing up sewage in your streets?
>>
>>34144702
So rather than just correct the OP politely you move straight to ad hominem and bring his dad into it. Let me guess you're a "progressive". That post is a great example of everything wrong with society. If we can't even communicate like civilized people on a mongolian throat singing blog then all hope is lost. Faggot.
>>
submarine warfare will change dramatically.

Good news is this shit happens very slowly, so there's really no risk to us as humans. We are at a technological point where we could build underwater cities if we REALLY needed to.
>>
>>34144621
Assuming it's real, it could shorten growing seasons and put a crunch on our grain production during a total war scenario.

That could be...inconvenient.

>As far as I know, the US has no major population centers or strategic military facilities anywhere near any coast lines with the exception of a couple of naval bases in Virginia and Hawaii...

Naval Station Norfolk and it's accompanying shipyard in Newport News is one of the largest US naval stations in the US. It would cripple our naval capabilities to destroy it.

Also, some of our bigger population centers are coastal, blue as they may be. California's cities are located in a bay, new york is a port, etc.

Also, much of our oil refinement takes place in the gulf and along the gulf coast.

tl;dr, doomsday global warming scenarios would put us in a logistical nightmare.
>>
>>34144834
I live in New Orleans. Not only do I welcome this concept, but look forward to it.

Get bent cry babies. What freezes will melt and freeze once over
>>
>>34144834
At no point will anything flood fast enough to create a refugee situation. Imagine you live near water and it rises an inch a week, are you just going to sit there for a year until your house is completely covered and then cry about being a refugee?
>>
Looks like a lot of those inland bases will be opening up again!

Personally I'm kinda hoping it's real because I want LA and New York to flood.
I'm looking forward to selling land at exorbitant prices, to desperate liberals who believe in global warming yet choose to live in a coastal areas.
>>
>>34145014
>aiding and abetting baitposts

:^)
>>
>>34145088
No I agree, it will happen slow enough that people could leave early if they wanted too, but if you look at the population on the coast that's still a displacement in the tens if not over a hundred million people inland over the space of (If people are sensible, which I doubt they would be) a few years, which is an insane number of people to try to find homing for, plus replanning food distribution etc. Those circumstances are why I described it as a refugee burden. (Plus thinking about it, you'd also have to rebuild an enormous amount of economic infrastructure, even if it's just office buildings that's gonna take a few years)
>>
File: IMG_3421.jpg (53KB, 533x399px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3421.jpg
53KB, 533x399px
>>34145088
Your underestimating the stupidity of people. Look at Venice. They keep fighting the inevitable. They'll spend billions to keep the city only for it all to fail catastrophically.
>>
>>34145149
venice isn't a real city, it's a tourist trap

if you ever visit you'll notice that nobody actually lives in venice, not a single person you'll meet lives there, they all live around the city and commute in to work their tourist service job as hotel clerk or whatever. the city is mostly tourists and people who work in the tourist industry, and the people who work there dont live there

so yes they keep paying to keep it floating because tourists show up and spend billions there
>>
>>34144692

>Fuckloads of major population centres are on the coast.

If anything, we should work towards slowing rising sea levels to keep shitty blue coastal voters in their containment states. The damage a refugee situation will do to voting demographics would be the final nail in the coffin for this country.
>>
>>34144621
biggest thing is the melting of the arctic and the newfound waterways between the US and Russia/Europe that would create
>>
>>34145088
>rebuilding new york in another location over 10-20 years will be easy guise
>>
>>34145179
>keep shitty blue coastal voters in their containment states

God damn, I do NOT want hoards of Floridians and New Yorkers in my state. Some of you guys are probably cool but the Californians have soured me on the concept.
>>
>>34145203
Then help support preventing climate change ;)
>>
>>34144649
You really have no idea how hot it would be in the dead of winter if the temp went up just 4 degrees. It would be intolerable, AC running.
Summer? Forget it.
>>
>>34144641
>implying China will do shit in 30 years

The reason it was smart to pull out of the Paris bullshit is because it was just a way to send a shitton of American tax dollars overseas in exchange for /maybe/ a 0.2C decrease in warming.

Even assuming all warming is caused by humans, I'd guarantee you the market will figure out a better way to fix everything than the fucking UN will. Google is offering how much money for teams to land a rover on the moon for no real reason. Imagine if instead of doing that and buying advertisements on twitter crying about how we need to stay in the Paris accords, they took that money and funded research into finding uses for CO2 and methane that would make it profitable for power plants to capture it? Then we could not cripple our economy today AND create wealth in the future.

The reason they won't do that is they don't give a fuck about the planet, it's about control over your wallet, because if they control your money they control YOU.

Contrary to what the Watermelons will say, you can give a fuck about the environment and not only look to the same government that we all distrust with our gun rights for answers.
>>
>>34145521
And I forgot to mention, Obama entered us into that treaty illegally. Only a 2/3rds vote in the senate can enter the US into a treaty. This is really my biggest gripe with it.

People not understanding the dangers of discretionary government is why so much shit about the government is fucked.
>>
>>34144649
you will when all our nice farmland becomes arid and can't sustain crops
>>
We have the best navy in the world. Let it flood.
>>
>>34145203
Start saving up for a nice boat. After all the containment states flood I'm putting out to sea. I'll start pillaging the ruins of the coast.
>>
>>34145222
>prevent
>climate change
what? not even possible kek
>>
File: (you).gif (909KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
(you).gif
909KB, 480x270px
>>34144634
>0.7 degrees F
>>
File: faemap.jpg (322KB, 960x725px) Image search: [Google]
faemap.jpg
322KB, 960x725px
>>34144621

The implications are not so much direct military, but indirectly affect it...

>global warming affects patterns of life for animals and ecosystems

>people rely on these animals and ecosystems (agriculture and fishing)

>these systems collapse or change sufficiently to stop traditional paterns of living for locals

>no jobs+no food= need jobs and food

>terrorists and criminals pay for human transportation and production of illicit goods and services

>criminal + nojobs = has jobs

>criminals put stress on infrastructure and disturb order in society by trying to control it

>society now needs military/paramilitary forces to protect it from criminals
>>
File: 1495985398439.png (67KB, 675x540px) Image search: [Google]
1495985398439.png
67KB, 675x540px
>>34146090

http://www.worldwatch.org/node/77

republicans were saying global warming is a bigger threat than terrorism in the future because of destabilized communities

terrorists and dictators are quick to give free stuff in exchange for servitude
>>
>>34145014

> "the earth is flat"

> "You're retarded"

> "Waa da librulz are mean to me, society is doomed"
>>
File: alaska.jpg (51KB, 960x672px) Image search: [Google]
alaska.jpg
51KB, 960x672px
>>34145587
>Alaska thaws
>becomes the new breadbowl, and is twice the size so twice as much food

Mexico can roast for all I, and any good American, should care.
>>
>>34144702
>NYC floods
>population is forced into the western parts of the state
>i.e., 99% of the state actually gets populated
>i.e., 99% of the state actually has a say in the elections
>i.e., 99% of the state starts getting treated like human beings again

Just cranked my AC up and turned my oven on. Let's do it boys.
>>
>>34145203
Then work with your neighbors to build a militia to start putting up road blocks and executing liberals. It's the only way.
>>
File: 1496510531713.jpg (6KB, 255x180px) Image search: [Google]
1496510531713.jpg
6KB, 255x180px
>>34144621
>As far as I know, the US has no major population centers or strategic military facilities anywhere near any coast lines with the exception of a couple of naval bases in Virginia and Hawaii...

This is probably the single most stupid OP I have ever seen on /k/ in five years
>>
>>34144621
Actually the department of defense is convinced of the reality of climate change and has been leading the way on research for global warming because it has huge tactical implications. The resource scarcity caused by global warming effects the balance of power in the middle east because nomadic people travel to where the water is and he who controls the resources controls the region. It also keeps the opium trade going because the reason most farmers won't switch from poppies to food crops is that poppies require less water so they know they have a larger guaranteed crop yield. The DOD has basically come to the position that global warming just exacerbates all the problems they currently face especially in the middle east. The term they use is "threat multiplier". There is actually a great documentary on the subject called "The Burden".
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.