[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could anyone give a quick rundown on what the Vietnam war was

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 14

Could anyone give a quick rundown on what the Vietnam war was like? Does it have parallels to modern guerrilla wars like in Afghanistan and Iraq? From the perspective of a grunt. Bonus if you have relatives' war-stories.
>>
>walk through jungle
>somebody steps on a mine
>fire 800 rounds into the jungle in all directions
>call napalm
>huey shows up to take the guy who stepped on a mine and lost his leg home
>it aint me starts playing
>go home and get spit on
>>
>>34139758
http://capveterans.com/

I'm reading this and it is a horror show. It's even worse since this dude discovered the Viet Cong received donations from Berkeley (((((Students Unions))))) stached in their compound. Communists are not Human.
>>
My dad's best friend served two tours with the Marines in An Hoa. He said this book gets the closest to really describing what it was like: https://www.amazon.com/Matterhorn-Novel-Vietnam-Karl-Marlantes/dp/0802145310/
>>
Read a story about a tunnel rat (a US soldier or marine tasked with clearing spider holes the viet cong used to ambush troops) who dropped a fuck ton of acid and went in to a tunnel with two 1911's. Disapeared for a week and came back naked with a necklace of gook ears.

Anyone who has dropped acid before knows how fucking terrifying and utterly mind breaking this would be.

If anyone has a screencap of it pls post.
>>
>>34139738

if movies have taught me anything, it's that CCR was blaring at max volume in the background at all times
>>
>>34140025
And Jefferson Airplane, Jimi Hendrix, plus a whole assload of now-forgotten bands like Tangerine Dream and Velvet Underground. And Janis Joplin.

Keep in mind, state of the art music technology was 8 track tapes. About the size of a paperback book per tape, 1 song per track. That's what the radio stations played.

I went to bootcamp in 79, there were still a lot of Nam vets on active duty. I really wish I'd had the forethought to chronicle their stories and comments.
>>
>>34139738
>the Viet Cong received donations from Berkeley (((((Students Unions)))))

most stories like this have no basis in reality
>>
File: Marine Carrying Baby.jpg (74KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
Marine Carrying Baby.jpg
74KB, 400x300px
>>34139823
>http://capveterans.com/

I remember reading this and finding my faith in humanity to be utterly destroyed, still those Marines still went on with their mission and protected the people they were attached to. Also I remember reading this story on another page with a prologue about some badass South Vietnamese investigator who pretty much almost died getting rid of all the commies from that village before the Marines arrived
>>
>>34140274
t. commie kike
>>
i watched a couple of documentaries recently about the secret bombing of Laos. the US was never at war with that country, and were explicitly told by the international community to stay out. despite that they dropped more bombs there that in any other air campaign in history, and has not been matched since. there are still people there to this day clearing unexploded ordinance.
>>
BBQ, beer and hookers. And for a select few mud and shouting.
>>
>>34140409
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2hLjsVmDVY
>>
>>34140274
t. Berkley Student
>>
https://www.amazon.com/Blood-Trails-Combat-Soldier-Vietnam/dp/0891418830
Liked this one. Short tho
>>
>>34140396
>>34140459
Can you stop being so retarded , answer his question
>>
i dunno i think the VC were pretty much destroyed by 1968 and it was more traditional army vs army shit for the majority of combat

the gooks had a lot of arty
>>
File: 1493849749027.jpg (34KB, 559x476px) Image search: [Google]
1493849749027.jpg
34KB, 559x476px
>>34139738
>quick rundown
Pic related
>>
File: 1493642940292.gif (854KB, 380x380px) Image search: [Google]
1493642940292.gif
854KB, 380x380px
>>34141242
>>
File: td.png (18KB, 604x172px) Image search: [Google]
td.png
18KB, 604x172px
>>34140232
>now forgotten

not to me damnnit
>>
File: weighing_in_on_OP.jpg (43KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
weighing_in_on_OP.jpg
43KB, 240x240px
>>34139738
We're not going to write your paper for you anon
>>
My ex-girlfriend's dad was a marine infantryman in Nam. Decades later the sound of helicopter rotor blades would still induce a minor PTSD panic attack in him. He must have seen some hairy shit back in country.
>>
File: 1476760409557.jpg (65KB, 1024x684px) Image search: [Google]
1476760409557.jpg
65KB, 1024x684px
>>34139970
>Read a story
>a story
>story
Anon, pls
>>
File: 1492219935721.jpg (135KB, 224x488px) Image search: [Google]
1492219935721.jpg
135KB, 224x488px
>>34143387
>tfw he will never be able to throw commies out of hueys
>>
>>34139738
went to the national infantry museum they had a Vietnam section with a jungle walk through, imagine pitch black and thick jungle Ii mean you might not see more then 25 meters if lucky it must have been terrifying and the men that went through it have men absolute respect
>>
>>34140409
They fucking deserved it. They were allowong the fucking VC to march through their country so they wouldnt be fired upon by air forces.

It was standard procedure for the huey gunships to salvo their remaining ordinance in the general direction of laos before returning from patrol
>>
File: QASOJat.gif (400KB, 493x342px) Image search: [Google]
QASOJat.gif
400KB, 493x342px
>>34140557
>can you stop pointing out how hypocratic the american public was and start answering OPs question that will take days if not weeks of reading, watching and understanding what it's like to be in a hostile country in hostile terrain?
>>
>>34147085
>allowing
uhhhh I don't think you know what consent is. Laos didn't 'let' them do it, they were forced and essentially under Northern vietnamese martial law...
>>
>>34147153
Hardly an excuse.
>>
>>34140409
The only mistake was keeping it secret.
>>
File: 1464391696804.jpg (87KB, 564x564px) Image search: [Google]
1464391696804.jpg
87KB, 564x564px
>>34147153
So what you're saying

is that by bombing the VC

in Laos

despite international antagonism

The United States

was actually helping Laos resist a foreign invasion
>>
>>34147169
You do realize laos was in a state of perpetual civil war from the 50s to the 80s, right?...
>>
>>34147206
... unironically yes. But again see >>34147215 , laos was in such an internal struggle already, american bombings probably helped them 'pick sides' essentially.
>>
File: Glasses Gun and Cigarette Pepe.jpg (23KB, 250x237px) Image search: [Google]
Glasses Gun and Cigarette Pepe.jpg
23KB, 250x237px
>>34139823
>http://capveterans.com/
>One night, a twelve-year-old boy threw a grenade into the CAP unit as we clustered around ready to move out. Four Marines and about six P Fs were wounded and our Vietnamese scout was killed instantly. The grenade landed between his legs. There wasn’t much left of him. He was a good friend.
>>
>>34139738
From what i gather is pretty much like the insurgency warfare in iraq and afghan, but instead of boring down time in between fights you get fights or a battle almost always constantly and the ranges of engagement go from 700 meters to 200 meters or under and a lot of people firing at you just wanna see you suffer in the worst way possible and they are not even 18.

t- Civilian tho.
>>
The big difference between Vietnam and the Muslim wars is that the Vietnamese didn't suck nearly as much as the Muslims do, and were far more motivated.
>>
>>34139823
Wait, hold the fucking phone. How the fuck wasn't Berkeley fucked by HUAC or CiS as a result of this revelation? This is downright treason.
>>
>>34147140
>students funded the VC
>prove it
>IT WAS REAL IN MY MIND
>>
>>34140459
>>34140396

Then why

>>34148303
>>
My dad's friend from work was an Army artilleryman, I'll call him Frank.

Can't remember what battle he was in but basically his whole squad was cut off from supplies in some jungle when they were surrounded by the Viet Cong. They started feeling the effects of dehydration due to lack of food and water. A squad of VC guys literally walked up on Frank's squad. Frank pulled one of the VC guys down to the ground by his shirt and pointed his 1911 at him. Apparently the VC soldier was high on betel nut because he was drooling red residue, a side effect of the nut.

Don't exactly remember how they got out of that predicament, I'm assuming the Army made a counter attack and got supplies to Frank's squad.
>>
>>34148303
Because CIA are cucks.

Little ago a hardcore taliban/ISIS supporter went to a californian university i think and took fundings to support the anti US fight. It was recently and confirmed to be truth. FBI, NSA, Homeland, CIA, everyone just let him walk in and walk out with money to fund the fight.
>>
File: Frank Demon Castle.jpg (559KB, 1024x1599px) Image search: [Google]
Frank Demon Castle.jpg
559KB, 1024x1599px
>>34148750
>>
>>34139823
Honestly would not doubt it. College kids were not even subtle in supporting the commie fucks. I was angry for days after learning about what Jane Fonda did to the American troops and get off completely free due to daddy's money.
I feel bad for the poor bastards that whent to fight someone else's war but we're betrayed by their politicians, and countrymen. They were set up to fail from the get go.
>>
>>34148923
You mean the retarded urban legend about Jane Fonda.
>>
>>34139970
>guy who dropped a fuck ton of acid and went in to a tunnel with two 1911's
>Disapeared for a week and came back naked with a necklace of gook ears
>dropped acid
>disappeared for a week
A person would have to take a LOT of acid in one sitting to be tripping for longer than 3 days. Not to mention the fact that taking acid in a war zone is just begging for a horrendous trip.
>>
>>34149056
You mean this one?
>>
>>34149063
I know the post the anon is talking about. If I'm remembering it correctly, the man had 30ish hits of acid in his helmet and came back with a necklace with 56 severed thumbs on it
>>
>>34144600
Where was this museum? I may know the one you're talking about by another name.
>>
>>34149056
Are you fucking retarded? Fonda was one of the worst communist propaganda piece in America. Lying about pow's treatment calling Americans evil babykillers and warmongers and other untrue shit. She should have been hung for treason.I hope she rots in hell
>>
My uncle told me this story of how he got his bronze star on Memorial Day this year

>be 23, Chinook pilot
>young, in charge of a million $ machine, going on 'adventures' everyday
>notbad.jpeg
>one day, toward the later stages of the war where troops are slowly being hung out to dry by da gubment, get in some shit
>approaching hot lz to evac troops
>first Chinook goes in, radios to my uncle instructing him to land where he did because land mines everywhere
>lz is hotter than expected, first pilot tries to tell him not to land but his radio was shot out
>uncle goes in
>nose of copter nuzzled up right on top of friendly MG position, shit going down on all sides
>explosion in front, explosion in back - enemy mortars targeting
>timetogo.avi
>all living friendlies aboard in a frantic rush against the clock
>uncle is ready to gtfo, raising bay door on Chinook
>kamikaze gook approaches, makes it to helicopter
>gook is smashed by bay door and split in two by 100s of lbs of hydraulics
>my uncle has his service .45 drawn by this point, gooks in the wire
>half a gook pulls pin on a grenade, soldier initiates struggle, and throws the nade out of the helicopter
>ride off into sunset
>>
File: 1433435462710.png (99KB, 1084x1613px) Image search: [Google]
1433435462710.png
99KB, 1084x1613px
>>34143411
>>34149063
Screencap of what's >>34139970 on about.
>>
Bamp
>>
>>34147215
The only thing I know about Laos is what King of the Hill taught me
>>
>>34149116
i have no doubt that youd be a fucking killing machine on that much acid, but assuming the story is true this is probably how it went down

>begins trip and starts freaking out
>goes into the hole
>has so much adrenaline, focus, and fear that hes a fucking killing machine for the first 24 hours
>the experience leaves him in a psychosis for the next several days until he finds a way out of the tunnels

ive had some shit happen on 25 tab trips and i can kinda believe this desu
>>
>>34147247
>he was a good friend
f-fug :'-DDD
>>
>>34139738
You mean was it an oil reserve like Iraq? Is there oil pipeline land like Afghanistan?
>>
>>34139738
>Could anyone give a quick rundown on what the Vietnam war was like?
depends on what you did. my uncle was in some support unit for 18 months. ran the company store, was the company clerk and came home with a worse drug habit than the one that landed him in the Army in the first place.
>>
>>34140409
We and the commies agreed to stay out of Laos. When the Trail got too hot for the VC they stepped 20 feet to the east and paralleled the Trail in Laos. When we found out, we bombed their asses there.
What the duck do you think was going on in Laos? A war with only one side? Jesus fucking Christ, you are as stupid as any hippie.
>>
>>34149097
Photoshopped fake news. Sad!
>>
>>34149237
Piloting a CH-47 with a .45 in one hand?
>>
>>34141314
Got any Country Joe and The Fish?

On a non-related note, a guitar playing buddy of mine did a rewrite of the Janis Joplin song "Mercedes Benz"

>oh Lord won't you give me
>a DD-214
>my friends all got theirs
>I can't wait to get my
>DD-214

That's all I can remember of it. Jeeze. Brings back the memories.
>>
>>34149056
>urban legend

If there's photographic and documentary evidence about it, it's not really an urban legend. Then there's the fact that Fonda made a half-assed apology ('a huge mistake') in 2015.
>>
old k/ here with a few anecdotes my neighbor told me

- spent countless nights on ambush, 4hours sleep was a good day

- VC modified their firearms to shoot larger caliber than the US, we use 0.50cal, they use 0.51cal, etc., VC scrounge up some US ammo -> they can use it, we scrounge up VC ammo -> we can't use it

- When VC attacked they would be wrapped up tight in bandages

-riding inna convoy, stop regularly to stretch legs, etc., villagers appear out of no where, pick your favorite lady and buy some sex, one soldier grabbed the youngest girl in the group, too young to have pubic hair, he's pounding away, she's arching her back, squirming, arms are moving like crazy, thinks he's doing helluva job, when finished he sees that girl was moving around to pick berries from the bushes around them
>>
>>34140232
And the doors
>>
>>34139738

Read Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes.

10/10 book
>>
>>34148617

Because there was zero political will to prosecute people for protesting the war.
>>
Didn't the Vietnamese people not even really give a shit about not being communist? The apathy of the south Vietnamese must've been palpable by the time the last troops pulled out. Imagine spending 2 years watching your friends get blown to bits only to realize that it was all completely meaningless and the people you thought you were fighting for gladly give up and convert to communism.

Then you come home to the anti-war hysteria and are treated like a fucking monster regardless of what you actually did over there. You're mocked for your injuries, assaulted, spit on, and the media demonizes you and your friends every night. You try to go visit a memorial to your fallen brothers only to see it's been defaced again by some pot smoking
kids who sat around getting high and sleeping around in college with the surplus of attractive and 'sexually liberated' women. Getting a job is tough enough, god forbid you were actually seriously wounded and need to get on disability, because that's a whole other set of challenges. You barely recognize the America you left to fight for and it seems like you're no longer welcome.
>>
>>34152591
>Adobe ever existing in 1970's
>>
>>34154320
Viet here, nowadays communism is an ironic joke in the country.

In the south, it basically means poor people.
>>
>>34139738

>France was being a massive cock sleeve and basically exploiting the fuck out of Vietnam because they had the audacity of being brown
>Dude named Ho Chi Minh comes along and tells France to shove that WAAAAAAAAY up their ass. Guerilla war ensues.
>The French get anally annihilated every time they step out of the fortress cities. They have the support of a very small minority of rich urbanites who profited off the French being there. Roughly the rest of the country hates France.
>The Guerillas assault and just fuck the French up at Dien Bien Phu. Just fuck their ass.
>You see, when your forces hold a few cities and the "Guerillas" control 99 percent of the land, whose really winning?
>America is terminally retarded at this stage in history. Ho Chi Minh starts up a Communist government. Can't have that on daddy America's watch.
>We send in Special Forces. Our brilliant plan is our elite forces will whip the South Vietnamese into a brutal fighting force who will surely die a thousand times over for "freedom" (read:colonial oppression).
>Turns out they didn't want that. So, instead of doing the smart thing we double the fuck down and send in American regulars. Because muh Communism.

Now America is in the shit. You see, it wasn't a small band of plucky Communist Guerillas VS. the USA. The Viet Cong and NVA had the support of the majority of North and South Korea. Plus the Soviets came to play little fuck fuck games.

The parallels to modern insurgency conflicts is when only a small percentage of urban elites support you and the actual land mass of the country isn't in your control, you are going to have a bad time.
>>
>>34154331
Do you guys still hate us over the war?
>>34154378
>Now America is in the shit
How so? We've weathered far worse periods of turmoil in our history
>support of the majority of North and South Korea
Tell that to the ROKs.
>Plus the Soviets
Both the USSR and the PRC pumped quite a bit of time, money, logistical support, and weaponry into the North for the war. Without all that it would've been much harder for the PAVN to function. Rather ironic on the PRC's part since they ended up going to war with Vietnam a few year's later, not that they got very far.
>terminally retarded at this stage in history
The Reds were subverting and dominating several countries at this point in time. Communist friendly governments were at an all time high and there was Soviet subversion in the states. There was going to be some sort of response to this obviously. However, I believe that we should've relied more on our "soft" power rather than hard power. The Vietnam War shouldn't have happened, we should've just embargoed the shit out of them once they went communist (which we ended up doing anyway. probably contributed to Doi Moi in the mid-late 80's).
>>
>>34154453
>Do you guys still hate us over the war?
Not him, but shit was almost 50 years ago. Nobody cares if you visit and you're an American.

>Rather ironic on the PRC's part since they ended up going to war with Vietnam a few years later
Not that ironic when you consider China's been fucking with Vietnam for literally a millennium or two.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.