[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE5 4WtVrJ9A Why has Austri

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: ye olden tymes Glocke.jpg (121KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
ye olden tymes Glocke.jpg
121KB, 800x600px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE54WtVrJ9A

Why has Austria always domiated the handguns world? What is it about Austria that makes people there invent the best handguns of their day?
>>
>>34135079
>Browning fgts BTFO!
>>
Austria has two outstanding things going for pistols, a utilitiarian workhorse, that while not exciting at all, does everything a service pistol needs to be able to do while being able to take obscene abuse; ye Glock of olde

The other is the Steyr GB, a legit cool and well thought out design that, if it wasn't for circumstances, could perhaps have had actual market presence in this day and age as a competing pistol.
>>
>>34135079
I think it's pretty easy to see which was the better gun, the Steyr or the M1911. Which gun has the larger production number and is still used today? I think it's pretty obvious as to who "Dominated" the handgun world.
As for the Glock, It's king right now. no disputing that. However I think that one could argue that Glock is just as much of an American company as it is an Austrian one. It's a stretch but you could make the argument.
>>
File: Othias and the slide release.webm (742KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Othias and the slide release.webm
742KB, 640x360px
>>34135079
Daily reminder
>>
>>34135137
>It's a stretch but you could make the argument.

How? What is American about the Glock? I doubt Gaston ever went to the US before he got rich selling his combat tupperware. The "I want to point and shoot without safety" thing is a decidedly Austrian requirement and was probably the most difficult thing for american consumers to get over and accustomed to about the design of the Glock.
>>
>>34135147
>The figure skating judges have added up their scores on this webm:
>10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0 9.9 10.0
>The judge that scored 9.9 suffered a sudden case of Arkancide
>So sad
>>
File: Steyr_GB_(parabellum_pl).jpg (93KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
Steyr_GB_(parabellum_pl).jpg
93KB, 720x540px
>>34135129
>Steyr GB

It's interesting but far too specific in it's design to be a gun that could survive until today. The Glock is so straightforward that if can accept modern RMR type optics with minimal modification. Just like the AR-15, the Glock is the open end platform of the gun world while everything else is limited by some sort of engineering constraints or the other...
>>
>>34135147
>onii-chan I'm gonna BBRRRTTTT!
>>
>>34135268
Yeah but that's because the Glock has 30+ years of market behind it.

The GB basically was killed by the Rogak abomination so it never had a chance to go anywhere. If it had gone out by Steyr themselves as planned then it would probably have gotten a foothold, and thus had a chance to compete, the design of the pistol is overall very good.
>>
>>34135330
>Yeah but that's because the Glock has 30+ years of market behind it.

No, it's bc it is parsimonious in it's design.

>The GB basically was killed by the Rogak abomination so it never had a chance to go anywhere. If it had gone out by Steyr themselves as planned then it would probably have gotten a foothold, and thus had a chance to compete, the design of the pistol is overall very good.
Not really, a. it would not be able to accept an RMR because of the pin and safety arrangement which will be a standard thing on handguns not 5 years from now. b. a gas operated pistol does not lend itself to up and down scaling along the G17l-G34-G17-G19-G26 principle. some gun designs are just inherently limited by their design choices. you just can't put an RMR on a Beretta.
>>
>>34135258
What you could argue is the fact that it's become such a staple in the American arms market and gun culture that it could be considered an "American" firearm. Like I said, it's a stretch.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.