[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are lasers just retarded memes or do they somehow provide a tactical

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: laser sight.jpg (43KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
laser sight.jpg
43KB, 400x266px
Are lasers just retarded memes or do they somehow provide a tactical advantage in some situations? Basic logic tells me that it's a good way to get spotted but I feel like I'm missing something.
>>
>>34132530
fookin laser sights
>>
>>34132530
They look like the sickest shit ever. Also, NODs make sights and optics hard to use so IR lasers allow you to aim.
>>
>>34132530
Shooting instructors recommend them to help you instinct shoot better, like not using the sights so much.
>>
>>34132530
>Basic logic tells me that it's a good way to get spotted but I feel like I'm missing something.
Unless you're in a situation with dense fog or smoke, the beam of a laser sight isn't actually visible in the air. It just projects a dot on the target.
>>
>>34132530
It's called night time. They have lasers that turn on when you prepress the trigger slightly
>>
Provides visual confirmation of point of aim. Also helps you keep on target while moving. Useful but not necessary.
>>
>>34132583
I know, but even then if I saw a laser dot on the left side of the guy in front of me, it tells me that there's an enemy about to shoot at us from the general direction to his left. It still gives a hint of where you are.
But then again if you're seeing a dot on you or the guy in front of you I guess it's pretty much too late for you.
>>
I've been thinking that a braced AR pistol with an 11.5" barrel and a vertical foregrip might actually be able to be used as intended (ie strapped to your forearm) for home defense if you just had a laser sight and flashlight on it.
>>
>>34132672
This is actually a good idea.
>>
>>34132799
I figure if it's only going to be used at 20 feet away at most, fuck aiming from the shoulder when I can blind them with a spotlight, aim with a laser, and then light them up. Also, a Doublestar 11.5" HBAR for rigidity and a KX3 or one of those PWS CQB thingies might be in order.
>>
>>34132530
Laser sights are a backup.

When shooting longer distance, use your sights. If you see the dot on the thing first, cool, pull the trigger.

When things are coming close and fast, point that shit instinctively, use what you see the dot doing to make small corrections, but the gross movement will happen from the muscle memory you've built up over the years.

The only case you use the laser as the primary aiming method is when you're in an unusual shooting position, such that you cannot get sufficiently behind your gun to either benefit from your body's instinctive pointing mechanism, or acquire your sights. Shooting around cover is the primary way this happens.Cops with ballistic shields tend to quiet like having a laser.
>>
>>34132949
This is the answer I was looking for, thank you. I knew I was missing something.
>>
>>34132984
Glad I could help.

It's a pretty common problem honestly. Dudes try to use their lasers as their primary aiming tool, and they spend twice as much time searching for the dot than they would just using irons.

Oh, almost forgot to mention: the dot's effectiveness is inversely proportional to how bright your environment is. I suppose that's pretty obvious, but its downright surprising how much difference just going into a building can make for how quickly your eyes will pick up the dot.
>>
>>34133035
And this is why IR lasers exist, and why the military calls aiming lasers "laser designators."
>>
>>34132672
>>34132799

>VFG
>Pistol

Got any dogs?
>>
>>34133154
You know not everywhere in the world is dictated by the ATF right?
>>
>>34133178

That's where you're wrong kiddo!
>>
>>34132530
>tactical advantage in some situations

in others no, if multiple people have lasers how to tell which is yours ?
>>
>>34133202
This is a situation I hope you're not planning for.
Maybe it's the guy you're aiming at? No one is saying you can't use the sights too.
>>
>>34133154
You do know that if your "pistol" has an overall length longer than 26 inches (minus the flash hider unless it's permed on there), you can put a vertical foregrip on it, right? The easiest ways to get there are an 11.5" barrel instead of the currently-fashionable 10.5" or shorter barrel, and/or a Vltor A5 pistol tube.
>>
>>34133178
This should be upside down :^)
>>
>>34132633
Thatd be a shitty fucking feel
>>
>>34132530
back in iraq my uncle would set a laser against the opposite doorway and when shitskins would look the wrong way he would schwack em
>>
>>34132530
They have some uses, been quite a while since I taught people the draw-aim-fire drill where they're not using sights and essentially building it into a reflexive action.
But, they where very good for that as it meant not shooting the gun or even having it loaded, just draw-aim-click and we'd review where the laser was on the target, which takes a very long time to train. Basically, saves you some money on ammo, wear and tear in that respect.
Most LEO and civilians where not really prepared to really invest the time into that particular drill and ultimately the next step is doing it across different ranges, expending a lot of ammo anyway.

In terms of anywhere else, yeah they've definitely got some military applications (IR ones)
Mostly because if you tell 6 guys to pick a target each and there's another 5 guys + 1 guy taking a shit- the fella taking a dump is so fucking dead :)
Seriously though, it is really handy for just painting things/people of interest.
>>
File: 845604659.jpg (89KB, 892x852px) Image search: [Google]
845604659.jpg
89KB, 892x852px
>>34132530
The laser provides the clarity of reducing visual uncertainty of having the muzzle facing on target while not aiming down the sight.
>>
>>34132597
that seems like a recipe for disaster
>>
>>34133202
If you're in this situation I'm assuming you and whoever else has a laser that you're with would have the same target(s).
>>
>>34132530
lasers are good for using a pistol in low light when you can't necessarily see your sights well, they're also good for using weapons with night vision goggles if you need to.
>>
>>34132530
For pistol plinking sake, they make life a lot easier for me. It's just an aiming aid, not necessary, but definitely advantageous.
It's easy to know where I'm aiming at all times as I hold the gun a bit lower where it doesn't block my vision by holding my hands/gun right in front of my face, and it allows me to clank targets that I'd often miss otherwise. I get to see my mistakes as I pull the trigger, and correct them before I make them.
All in all, there's definite advantages.
>>
>>34132633
>I know, but even then if I saw a laser dot on the left side of the guy in front of me, it tells me that there's an enemy about to shoot at us

They can work on non-visible wavelengths, genius
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.