[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is /k/'s opinion on cleaning an AR-15 BCG with soap

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0084.jpg (43KB, 1155x1155px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0084.jpg
43KB, 1155x1155px
What is /k/'s opinion on cleaning an AR-15 BCG with soap and hot water? Drying off afterwords, oiling up and then reassembling?

Is this actually safe?
>>
Soap ain't gonna clean off carbon fouling. Gotta scrub that shit.
>>
>>34129035
Absolutely fine. A toothbrush helps to remove the powder/carbon fouling. If anything is really baked on, a gun solvent will do the trick, but I've never needed it.

I ran out of solvent and needed to clean my BCG, used soap and hot water like I do for my black powder revolvers. Worked so well that's all I ever use now. Then your choice of CLP/lube after.
>>
For a quick clean get a hot shower with the rifle.
>>
>>34129035
No reason to clean off carbon fouling unless the weapon is malfunctioning.
>>
that's not gonna work. you need a solvent and some abrasion to get carbon off of the parts, just rinsing it off with some soap won't work
>>
>cleaning machine dirt with soap

You're way better with gasoline or diesel fuel, son.
>>
>>34129035

First, there's no need for that, and second, I don't want to introduce moisture between the gas carrier key screws and the carrier itself, nor between the carrier key and the bolt carrier. That shit could add up over time and result in corrosion.
>>
>>34129267
This is my main concern, moisture in cracks and crevices, am I paranoid for this?

Also I would be scrubbing and cleaning actively the entire time, not just solely relying on soap and water.

Thanking everyone for their responses
>>
>>34129035
>opinion on cleaning an AR-15 BCG with soap and hot water

It works best when you wear your pants on your head.
>>
>>34129035
das retarded, sir.
>>
The laziest and most effective way would be a can of non-chlorinated brake cleaner. Make sure that it's non-chlorinated because the other stuff can damage some polymers.
>>
>>34129035
get a ultrasonic cleaner and some simple green.
soaking in simple green works well too just not anywhere near ultrasonic cleaning.
rinse with water
then use a heatgun to dry it and oil it while its still warm.
>>
>>34130252
>moisture in cracks and crevices, am I paranoid for this?

Not at all.

Any mechanic will tell you that moisture can permeate places you'd never imagine.
>>
>>34129035
just use hoppes or whatever solvent and elbow grease
>>
>>34130252
Put it in the oven at as low a temp as you can get it for about 15 minutes. My garage oven will go down to 170 degrees. Perfect for this kind of shit.
>>
use carb cleaner
>>
>>34129035
I just disassemble mime then out it in a bowl with soap and water then microwave it

Works pretty good
>>
>>34129035
It's fine if you dry ASAP. any raw steel can flash rust in minutes given enough humidity.

>>34129150
Carbon will absorb moisture from the air over time.
>>34130252
Hair Dryer.

Not paranoid, just put the BCG / metal parts in front of a hair dryer until they're good and hot. People who suggested ovens and stuff are right too but nearly everyone has a hair dryer accessible.

Oil it up while it's still warm and it'll help the oil penetrate a lot better
>>
>>34131617
>Carbon will absorb moisture from the air over time.

Good thing that's completely a nonissue.
>>
>>34129035
Sure, its just water and a mild detergent. The soap is not strong enough to damage the metal or its coating. The water left alone could cause rust, but it would need to be wet for longer than a single cleaning session for anything significant to occur. Does your gun magically start to rust after experiencing a heavy rain and then being wiped clean? No, so no worries. Ultrasonic is your best bet though.
>>
I just wipe the exterior off using a blue shop paper towel and some solvent. I don't even give a shit about brushing, scraping, or even trying to really clear out the interior. Am I doing it wrong?
>>
>>34129035
Try non pumice orange handcleaner and a stiff toothbrush. Re-oil and you're good to go buddy.
>>
>>34131509
Best method posted, you really cannot underestimate the power of arc cleaning.
>>
clean with nail polish remover, aka acetone and a brass brush
>>
I throw the whole upper in the laundry room sink and wash it with hot water and degreasing soap and a scrub brush. Get the metal hot with the water then blast it with compressed air during drying and it should be good. I only clean my AR every couple thousand rounds of wolf, and it's an SBR and suppressed.
>>
>>34131739
you are supposed to coddle it!
>>
>disassemble BCG
>wipe down with cleaner/solvent
>scrub bolt face with brush
>lube and reassemble

it's not rocket science
>>
>>34129035
Simple orange is the best thing I have ever used to clean my BCG. I dip my BCG in a bucket of it, let it sit for 20 minutes, and carbon just wipes wight off it.
>>
>>34129035
i'm sure some autist will disagree but the dishwasher will work for really big cleanups.
gotta lube them the minute its done though.
>>
You guys are hilarious. You spend more on cleaning supplies than the price of a new steel BCG.

OP. Just take it apart, take a paper towel to everything and a toothpick for the inside of the gas tube thingy.

If you want it really clean like if your going to parkerize it again or some shit, go to O'Reilly's and buy a $25 can of Berryman's Chem-Dip. Put disassembled BCG into can and close the lid. Let sit overnight.

Or if you have a basic understanding of money, you could buy a Cryptik BCG and never have to use solvents again. Cheapest option in the long run.
>>
>>34135045
Works great for car parts too. I put an oil pump in there once and it got some surface rust during the drying cycle. Oiled and its running like new now though.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.