[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The last time I cleaned my AR I couldn't find my bottle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: cEMWRkr.jpg (43KB, 700x322px) Image search: [Google]
cEMWRkr.jpg
43KB, 700x322px
The last time I cleaned my AR I couldn't find my bottle of Hoppes so I just lightly coated everything with vegetable oil. Kept rust at bay so I thought I was golden but it turned out to be ill-advised since I've shot it three times since then and when I took out the BCG for cleaning I saw that the chamber, upper receiver, basically everywhere in the gun that was exposed to heat, flash, gas or whatever had a coating of a hardened plastic or varnish or something that's been proving a bitch to clean. I cleaned the BCG by putting all the parts in a bottle of acetone which melted the oil off so as a last resort I considered just taking all the furniture off the gun and soaking the whole thing in a tub of acetone but I was wondering if you guys knew of a better, more gentler gun solvent that's designed to deal with burned on oil.

No need to remind me not to use vegetable oil again so let's just leave it at that. Thanks
>>
BTW I got the idea to use vegetable oil when I read somewhere that Fireclean was literally just vegetable oil so it's not like my assumption was totally off base.
>>
Good god, you deep fried your BCG. I love it.
>>
>>34124812
>deep fried guns and freedom
>murrica
>>
>>34124866
BCG is clean now. It's all about the nooks and crannies in the rest of the gun now.
>>
>>34124853
http://www.vuurwapenblog.com/general-opinion/lies-errors-and-omissions/ir-spectra-fireclean-crisco/
>>
>>34124987
stick in large ultrasonic cleaner, get to work with a brush, never do it again
>>
File: 1496033238174.gif (511KB, 245x175px) Image search: [Google]
1496033238174.gif
511KB, 245x175px
>>34124866
>>
File: 1487965576665.png (479KB, 1712x1744px) Image search: [Google]
1487965576665.png
479KB, 1712x1744px
>>34124812
>>34124853
You're a fucking idiot.
>>
Basically you seasoned your gun the way one would season a cast-iron pan, i would reccomend cooking bacon and eggs with it
>>
Did you use EVOO?
>>
>>34124812
You know when you oil a gun, youre supposes to wipe off all the oil. Otherwise it gunks up. The light layer of oil they recommend is so that you dont pour out the whole bottle all at once. You just need enough oil to absorb into the metal pores, then you wipe it off with a dry rag.

When you put sun block lotion on your skin, do you leave it so theres white lotion still on the skin or spread it all over until the only amount of lotion, is what you feel is on your skin?
>>
>>34126928
Cont

Also, grease/lube, has a different function than oil. Oil is a preservative, and can also be used to prevent binding on rotating parts. Grease is used to reduce friction between sliding parts. For example, putting a light to medium layer of grease on slide rails, or rifle bolts will reduce the metal on metal contact during function, thus increasing the longevity of of the firearm.
>>
>>34126928
>>34126994
and oils that don't have detergents in them actually stick to the surfaces you put them on.

detergent oils are made to suspend particulates in machines with a cartridge oil filter system, detergent-free oils will keep the particulates stuck to the sides or bottom.
>>
Has anyone successfully used a dry lube for moving parts/sliding surfaces in a gun?

I've heard of people successfully using molybdenum powder .
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.