[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Realistically, which side would win the war in Leviathan? My

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 12

File: LeviathanGrandMapBIG.jpg (2MB, 1600x1311px) Image search: [Google]
LeviathanGrandMapBIG.jpg
2MB, 1600x1311px
Realistically, which side would win the war in Leviathan?

My vote is for the Clankers, because they had some absolutely crazy-ass shit like land battleships and tesla cannons
>>
>>34122317
Clanker.

Capacity for war is greater and more industrialized. A blatant edge.
>>
>>34122362
but the darwinist war machine literally only needs food to function, and they can probably pump out the creepies crawlies in then span of a day or less.
>>
>>34122317
Many friends read this book (series?) in high school, i never got to
What real weapons do they use? Any mention of real guns like the Enfield, real tanks, ect?
>>
>>34122317

I felt like the Darwinists weapons required a LOT of time to develop and still had a lot of limits of indirect control. But if they hit on the right formula they could release creatures that would drastically reduce their need for manpower and industrial capacity.

HOWEVER, their own creations would compete for survival resources like food. Look at the Russian bears.

So... kinda tricky to make a call.

My only real issue with the books was trying to figure out how either technology created a static line, since the mirrored technologies and tactics are what made WWI bog down.

Also, what was the Darwinist answer to artillery?
>>
>>34122523
>creating a static line
mostly a result of a lack of ways to break through the trenches and exploit it properly, and I don't think that land battleships are particularly speedy.

Remember, the nazis had to flank the Maginot line
>>
>>34122523
It was weird artillery monsters
>>
>>34122317
I want to say clankers, but the Darwinists got a lot of troops and resources.
>>
File: 1495402639880.png (684KB, 1169x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1495402639880.png
684KB, 1169x1600px
>>34122317
I think I began to read this book in class a couple years back, I think I remember that map. Maybe since i'm not nearly as dumb as I was then I can try reading it again. Seems like something that would interest me.
>>
File: IMG_2775.jpg (39KB, 332x443px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2775.jpg
39KB, 332x443px
Steampunk is degenerate.
>>
Holy shit. I would look at all the illustrations of the land battleships for hours.
>>
>>34122317
>Realistically
By definition, it can't be realistic. It's a fucking video game.

>>>/v/
>>
File: neato.jpg (230KB, 571x897px) Image search: [Google]
neato.jpg
230KB, 571x897px
>>34123076
>>34123124
The pictures might be the best bit, aside from q.t. midshipwomen
>>
>>34122516
I remember them mentioning Maxim guns and Krupp cannons.
I think the crew of the Leviathan had these weapons that fired needles.
>>
File: leviathan_01.jpg (321KB, 1118x846px) Image search: [Google]
leviathan_01.jpg
321KB, 1118x846px
>>34123270
Its a book series.
>>
File: WRONG.png (51KB, 140x157px) Image search: [Google]
WRONG.png
51KB, 140x157px
>>34123270
>realistic
>adjective

>1. having or showing a sensible and practical idea of what can be achieved or expected.

>2. representing things in a way that is accurate and true to life.

>videogames can't be realistic
>>
>>34122317
Clankers would steamroll biofags, no question. Every respiring animal they used or could use, and any combination thereof, would be incredibly susceptible to even basic chemical gas attacks and would become more vulnerable the larger they were.
Judging by the existence of mechs it's plausible the Krauts even have EA tier area-denial gases.

The Darwinists would spend themselves into oblivion trying to breed cyanide proofed organisms, or lose all support at home when an aircraft carrier massacres half its own fleet after being dosed with Sernyl.
>>
>>34123373

It should be a video game, Natural Selection asymmetrical balance style.
>>
File: german_war_walkers.jpg (520KB, 1463x934px) Image search: [Google]
german_war_walkers.jpg
520KB, 1463x934px
>>34123276
>>
File: leviathan_data.jpg (445KB, 1288x885px) Image search: [Google]
leviathan_data.jpg
445KB, 1288x885px
>>34123948
>>
>>34122317
>turks
>industrially-minded
Never read this but how is that justified at all within the lore? The Austrians could maybe be stretched a bit to fit the role but it would take a whole lot of alternate to historically justify an industrially-forward Ottoman Empire.
>>
>>34124204
It's an analogy for the Entente vs. Triple Alliance
>>
>>34124313
Yes, that's obvious. But to suspend disbelief there has to be some sort of justification for why things are the way they are. Reading about the setting on other sites I can't seem to find anything.
>>
>>34124329
It's a book series for children and pre-teens.
>>
Just to clarify, this is the series everyone's talking about?

http://scottwesterfeld.com/books/leviathan/

Might check it out.
>>
>>34124365
Yes, and? Are such books devoid of sufficient exposition?
>>
File: leviathanillust.jpg (719KB, 799x1262px) Image search: [Google]
leviathanillust.jpg
719KB, 799x1262px
>>34124368
They're pretty decent for a YA novel.
>>
File: 1456746793810.jpg (112KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1456746793810.jpg
112KB, 1280x720px
>>34122317
>boot of Italy is composed of little snek booties
>>
>>34124402
No, it's just they're written for kids and therefore hard to read as an adult. I which I could, I mean I can't really ever go back and read Mortal Engines, for exple.
>>
I read the first 3 in grade 6(?), I have no idea
They were good for the time
Clankers a best

I always thought it was a cool concept but you could never convince me that darshits are better in any way
>>
>>34122594
Only because they were in a hurry, they could have successfully attacked it.
>>
>>34124487
Man, I read more about the setting and plot and I'd have torn this shit apart when I was twelve. Would have called everybody who liked it a faggot too. I guess my being here is evidence that I'm more autistic than the average kid though. Hopefully the writing itself is decent, considering the awards and accolades it apparently got.
>>
>>34124556
Not the guy you were replying to, but its like reading too much into Star Wars movies or Narnia. It falls apart because when the target demographic consumes it they're not fully mature. It's a wonder and wow production to entertain young minds, not activate almonds.
>>
File: b39.png (261KB, 650x577px) Image search: [Google]
b39.png
261KB, 650x577px
>>34122317
The plot of this thing is quite funny because France was by far the most heavily mecanised force in Europe the end of WW1.

>>34124519
Yeah, like the italians did against the maginot fortifications in the Alps right ? pic related

And like the allies did when they had to attack the Maginot line in 1944 to dislodge the germans who used it as a line of defense right ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maginot_Line#German_invasion_in_World_War_II

>When the Allied forces invaded in June 1944, the line, now held by German defenders, was again largely bypassed; fighting touched only portions of the fortifications near Metz and in northern Alsace towards the end of 1944. During the German offensive "Operation Nordwind" in January 1945, Maginot Line casemates and fortifications were utilized by Allied forces, especially in the region of Hatten-Rittershoffen, and some German units had been supplemented with flamethrower tanks in anticipation of this possibility.[26] Stephen Ambrose wrote that in January 1945 a part of the line was used for the purpose it had been designed for and showed what a superb fortification it was. Here the Line ran east-west, around the villages of Rittershoffen and Hatten, south of Wissembourg.[27]

Oh wait...

Just because some of the smaller forts were overpowered in 1940 does not means the concept was flawed. It was proven in the french alps by the alpine hunters and later in 1944-45.
>>
>>34124721
I would rip on shit for logical inconsistencies when I was a kid, but only if I actually disliked it for some other reason.
Guess I was good at motivated reasoning.
>>
>>34124487
Oh fuck, Mortal Engines. The film had better be epic, when I heard it was coming out I turned into a 12 year old again.
>>
File: smsbeowulf.jpg (216KB, 571x897px) Image search: [Google]
smsbeowulf.jpg
216KB, 571x897px
We all know that Clankers are best, but places like Mexico and USA had a better idea of what to do
>USA's Civil was the Darwininst north agains the Clanker South. The North Won but adopted both midsets
>Mexico turned Clanker under Maximilian I of Meixico (Austrian and a Hapsburg) but has being using both technologies since they started trading with the US.

This gives them a very great advantage as they can enjoy both sides' strengths.
Darwinist:
>Can fuel whole airships and all weapons inside with just sugar
>If going over land they can ue bees to automatically recollect nectar and use it as a food source
>Their weapons can heal minor wounds by themselves if given proper care
>Smaller weapons
>Pretty much full autonomy
>Scares the Turks
>More flexible weapons in general
But
>If a weapon is destroyed they can't scrap it to fix others, unless we are talking about having some creatures eat the others
>What kills a man can also kill one of their creatures, offer very little shielding against fire or chemical attacks
>A fucking crime against God's creation
>No powerful Long-range projectile weapons
>The creatures have to get close to the thing they want to make blow out

Clankers
>Artillery
>More developed industry
>Their weapons can be repair at any moment, no need for immediate attention
>qt royalty
>Tesla Fuck-you cannon
>When their weapons are destroyed they trend to go boom
>Can scrap their destroyed weapons to fix others
>Even a bunch of Beaners in mid revolution can mix the parts of different weapons and create a new one; no need for huge infrastructure when compared to what the Darwinists would need to create new weapons
>Generally more powerful everyhting
But
>Diesel engines are not stealth when compared to your average real-life animal
>Usually huge and heavy weapons
>When their weapons are destroyed they trend to go boom
>All the problems modern machinery brings times a thousand
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.