[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Syria Question? Why doesn't Assad just mass produce ww2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: 1493475187955.jpg (46KB, 783x386px) Image search: [Google]
1493475187955.jpg
46KB, 783x386px
Syria Question?

Why doesn't Assad just mass produce ww2 tanks or very cheap light tanks?

>Cheap
>great infantry support
>can stop small arms
>if it gets destroyed just scrap it and make a new one
>could be used as indirect or direct fire
>enemy tank? No problem just add some atgms
>gets people to work build the economy up
>once war is over just scrap them and switch to producing cars
Picture sort of related
>>
Because T-55 are cheaper.
>>
Implying Syria builds its own tanks and doesn't take whatever Iran and Russia give it?
>>
you can't be syrias
>>
>yeah just let me find old ass blueprints for outdated tanks and let me create a factory line for them
>>
>>34117992

Building heavy industry capable of manufacturing something like tanks or ships or locomotives is extremely expensive and takes a lot of time- not only to build, but to get running efficiently.

Surplus Soviet-era T-72s, T-62s, and T-55s that are otherwise just sitting in storage facilities are far cheaper. They're essentially just sitting around waiting for people like Assad to buy them at a massive discount over what it cost to produce them.
>>
Because there's no fucking way Assad could even build T-34s for less than what Russian cold-storage T-55's cost.

Childish suggestion.
>>
>>34117992
what makes you think syria has the production capabilities to do so?
>>
>>34117992
>Why doesn't Assad just mass produce ww2 tanks or very cheap light tanks?

Because there are these things called RPG's and ATGM's.

Technology has in fact moved on a bit since 1936.
>>
>>34117992
>Syria Question?
>Why doesn't Assad just mass produce ww2 tanks or very cheap light tanks?

Because Syria doesn't have the industrial base to produce any military vehicles. All tanks they have is stuff they've bought from the Soviet Union.
>>
>>34118334

DESU, a cheap enough tank would cost less than the most sophisticated ATGM systems (this is one of the things technicals count on; you could blow them up sky high, but you'd be wasting a missile), but ME being a dumping ground for RPGs makes it less tank friendly than it otherwise would be.
>>
>>34118552
>tanks roll forward
>all of them are immediately blown up by plentiful and cheap AT weapons
>lose the battle
>"Joke's on you, our tanks didn't cost that much!"
>>
>>34118552
>but you'd be wasting a missile

There are so many ATGM's in Syria right now that most of them are being used on infantry.
>>
>>34118552
>(this is one of the things technicals count on; you could blow them up sky high, but you'd be wasting a missile)

Dude you are so retarded I don't even know how to respond to this.

Technicals get blown up by ATGM's all the time. They do not "count on" the idea that the enemy won't shoot at them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z94tJmjr9I4

You seem to think that war is just a question of dollar amounts and have totally forgotten that the thing that wins you the war is winning battles. If shooting ATGM's (which are super cheap, in fact, they are literally free to the rebels because their benefactors simply hand them missiles for no cost whatsoever) at technicals wins you the battle, then that is what you are going to do. Nobody is sitting around in a trench thinking "Wow, I really want to win this battle, but it might cost a lot, so I guess I'll just sit here and lose it instead."
>>
>>34117992
Other anons have already pointed you to the lack of production capabilities Syria has and the cheap price of newer Russian tanks on the market.
Here's another thing: you need people commited to yor regime and you need to train them on tanks. Assad has a lack of such people which is also a major reason for this civil war to begin with.

tl;dr how many people are willing to sit in an outdated tank to defend Assad
>>
>>34118654
>how many people are willing to sit in an outdated tank to defend Assad
all the ones currently doing so
>>
>>34118654
>Assad has a lack of such people which is also a major reason for this civil war to begin with.

lmfao what the fuck are you talking about?

Assad has plenty of tanks, plenty of crews, and plenty of loyal citizens to draw from. The rebels do not constitute a majority of the population.

There were almost 20 million Syrians before the war began, that number did not magically deplete to 0.
>>
File: 1429793566532.jpg (823KB, 4048x2550px) Image search: [Google]
1429793566532.jpg
823KB, 4048x2550px
>>34117992

The Syrian army is plagued by manpower shortages, not equipment shortages.

Why do you think Turkey conspired with Merkel to unleash a million Syrian refugees to Europe in 2014 at the height of the fighting? It was to deprive Assad of the young men need for conscription.

Whereas the friendly terrorists whom we in the West support get a steady supply of cannon fodder from all over the world and fresh TOW-2A missiles and launchers as well as political and propaganda support.
>>
File: SAA 5th corp.jpg (95KB, 960x641px) Image search: [Google]
SAA 5th corp.jpg
95KB, 960x641px
>>34118669
SAA manpower is badly depleted, most of the men of fighting age left the country, joined up with the warlords or died. Remember that pro-Assad is not the same as controlled by Assad.

Equipment levels have also decreased. Look at the amount of heavy armor available to the NDF now compared to a couple years ago. There is a reason Russia had to supply tanks to outfit 5th Corp with.
>>
>>34118837
Man, that's a lot of grey hair.
>>
>>34117992
So, just like a BMP but slower and with no transport ability?
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.