[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I recently moved to New Jersey to commute to NYC for work. Having

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 10

File: IMG_2262.jpg (28KB, 375x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2262.jpg
28KB, 375x500px
I recently moved to New Jersey to commute to NYC for work. Having a knife on hand would be extremely helpful for my job, though I understand these laws are insanely strict.

I have read a great deal about the laws, but I'm still not sure exactly what is and isn't considered legal. Can anyone recommend a specific knife that is legal to carry in both states? Also, if there are any suggested stores, I'd love to hear about those too
>>
box cutter?
>>
>>34116329
Not really big enough. My job isn't cutting open boxes, id definitely like the maximum 4 inch blade.

Thank you for the suggestion however.
>>
Sog aeges tonto tip
>>
File: IMG_2263.jpg (13KB, 238x344px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2263.jpg
13KB, 238x344px
>>34116918
Closer, but from my reading fixed blades are actually better, as ANYTHING folding could be construed as a "gravity knife" which is illegal across the board-yes, the laws here are fucked.

Also, I'd prefer something non-serrated.

Pic perhaps related?
>>
bumpin
>>
>>34116266
Why don't you start by telling us what purpose you need a knife for anon?
>>
>>34116266
>i want a knife that adheres to my state's laws
>doesnt tell us the what is restricted and what is allowed
>doesnt tell us the tasks he need to use the knife for

Op you suck
>>
File: IMG_0899.png (451KB, 1006x2165px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0899.png
451KB, 1006x2165px
>>34118159
I thought I did, but I'll clarify.

As I said, it's partly my job. I sometimes have to cut things like cables, tarps, rope, tape - the list goes on. A fixed blade non-serrated knife that is no more than 4" and therefore "street legal" is what I need, not a multi-tool that can be construed as a "gravity knife" by an ultra-liberal judge on a whim.

Also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGARg-Gb5xs

>>34118195
Part of my question is about the law - I have done research, but these laws are so ambiguous and open to interpretation that I thought I'd ask for specific knives that people in the area know are acceptable.
>>
>>34118273
I think you literally might be autstic OP. If you want a utility knife for work don't break the bank.

>gerber
>kersaw

Hell you can even go to Home Depot and buy a flip utility knife that takes razor blades. That's probably your best bet for a work knife.
>>
>>34118273
Esse 3. Or the Izula. Knives should be concealed.

Remove the "clip" off any folder as cops are trained to look for them on you pants pockets and WILL stop you. Knives must be CONCEALED fully. Avoid any knife that can be "flicked" open with significant force. If you catch a dickhead cop who sees the clip will attempt to use centrifugal force, even trying to strain themselves to to get an arrest of gravity knife. A lot of the Benchmade or arclocks can be flicked with enough force.
>>
this shit is Londistan legal, it surely has to be kikeyork legal too.
>>
File: 1450157600297.jpg (42KB, 600x592px) Image search: [Google]
1450157600297.jpg
42KB, 600x592px
>>34118436
Yes it's true, but as you can see from the video I am really looking for a fixed blade, as there is a component to this beyond work.

>>34118749
I will look into this, but I'd really prefer a fixed blade.

>>34118624
EXCELLENT! These seem to be exactly what I'm looking for, in terms of fixed blade, quality, and price.

New York law makes no distinction between concealed and unconcealed, so certainly I'll opt for the latter, with a nice sheath.

Now, where to buy?
>>
>>34118879
*former
>>
NYC recently lost in court over abusing the gravity knife exemption. You can now carry folding knives with a bias to closure, which is basically any folding knife that stays within the 4in blade limit. Cops can not arrest in NYC anymore just because they can flick a knife open.

NJ still has that risk. Conceal carry a fixed blade of 4in or less.
>>
File: 1462164887692.jpg (187KB, 598x465px) Image search: [Google]
1462164887692.jpg
187KB, 598x465px
>>34118929
Exactly!

Although, NJ just lost on tasers, I think we'll find out specifics on that soon.. Unfortunately NY still has that shit. For now.

Nothing is perfect...
>>
>>34118273
We dont know your laws! Since you did the research explain and we can do our part.
>>
>>34118929
>NYC recently lost in court over abusing the gravity knife exemption. You can now carry folding knives with a bias to closure, which is basically any folding knife that stays within the 4in blade limit. Cops can not arrest in NYC anymore just because they can flick a knife open.

Citation, please.
>>
>>34118879
Carrying concealed removes the pretext for a cop to stop and search you. Cops routinely stop people who have a clip showing in their pocket and proceed to search them for anything illegal. They have also been known to try to flick the knife- if it opens with the centrifugal force you may be arrested for possession of a gravity knife or, if you are "lucky" it will be confiscated. I am waiting on anon to post citation to the case law that disqualifies gravity knife arrests...

As I understand it, a few cases have been dropped because some have been able to prove they had good reason to own the knife an the knife may have been modified by police or other extenuating circumstances.

Legislation has been made in NY Senate to relax knife laws pertaining to gravity knives but it is my understanding that they are still on schedule for voting and have not become law.
>>
File: 3qdo2u.jpg (72KB, 500x561px) Image search: [Google]
3qdo2u.jpg
72KB, 500x561px
>>34119255

Thank you so much, this is exactly what I wanted when I got here - product recommendation and straightforward advice.

/k/ really is one of the most helpful boards.

Now, where to buy, and what sheath do I want? I think the esse 3 looks better, but I don't know anything about it. Also, any guides on how to conceal?
>>
File: 81YPiYwpMlL._SL1500_.jpg (145KB, 1500x1142px) Image search: [Google]
81YPiYwpMlL._SL1500_.jpg
145KB, 1500x1142px
Get a Mora craftline Pro S.
3.6 inch fixed blade. Sandvik stainless steel. Scandi grind (easy to sharpen).
Best part is you can find them for around $10.
>>
>>34119409
Oh, sorry... make sure to buy from authorized dealer as I understand China is offering counterfeits. There are some good deals eBay - just make sure you can see the serial, and if you are concerned, contact Esee Knives/Randal's Adventure to check.

There are many aftermarket sheath makers in both leather and molded plastic(kydex.) I just stuck with the standard Esee sheath but have an aftermarket clip that allows me to carry it horizontally on my belt.

The knives have a lifetime replacement warranty for ANYTHING. Some jackass even shot one with various rounds, ultimately breaking it in two, and they replaced it. Avoid the "clip point version" for NYC as it may be argued as a "dagger"
>>
Check:
http://eseeknives.com/forums/index.php

BTW, I own three. Two ESEE 3, one serrated, one plain edge. And an Izula. The knives are very robust, hold sharp edge and easy to sharpen. Built to last and a decent size.
>>
>>34117067
Not necessarily true. An officer has to be able to open it one handed. They can and do try everything they can to do so, so you need to be careful even if you can't flick it open they might given the amount of practice they have. I would imagine something like an opinel would be hard to flick open, but I won't specifically recommend them given I don't own one. That said anything U.K. legal is fine, anything without a lock (i.e. Swiss Army knives), or fixed blades (under 4 inches I believe) are fine. Make sure they're not visible as even a sheathed knife will be considered brandishing. When I went to school in New York I carried a Stanley utility knife, the kind with the long blade that you snap off when the tip dulls. It wasn't ideal but got most jobs done. I still use it pretty regularly for a lot of things my regular folder isn't ideal for. IIRC Sypderco makes a folder for the U.K. where the finger choir acts like a locking mechanism. Basically, if it locks make sure it's impossible to open one handed, if it doesn't, you have a lot more flexibility as long as you're within the max blade length.

>>34116329
Also folding box cutters, like the cheap one husky makes you can get at hardware stores, are considered gravity knives. NYC is terrible with regards to knife laws, fortunately there's currently litigation trying to settle the issue but it'll be a few years before we see the outcome. Manhattan DA specifically tells cops to go after construction workers because almost all of them carry some kind of folding knife for work. It's ridiculous, I remember one case specifically where an ex con trying to get his life together got 7 years for carrying one of those husky knives even though he needed it for his job.
>>
>>34119190
Seconded. Last I heard the knife lobby lost and appealed their case.
>>
File: ahmedsmovingservice.gif (2MB, 298x219px) Image search: [Google]
ahmedsmovingservice.gif
2MB, 298x219px
Thanks again for all the help everyone, I'm going to price shop but I think I've settled on the Esse 3 non-serrated with a plastic sheath. I'll do some price searching but will probably just get it shipped from amazon, since there don't seem to be any quality knife stores within several miles of this place.

If there are any other suggestions, please post them!
>>
>>34116266
What's that knife on the left?
>>
>>34119459
This
>>
File: ti lite 6 inch.jpg (115KB, 2304x1296px) Image search: [Google]
ti lite 6 inch.jpg
115KB, 2304x1296px
>>34116266
This is my EDC in Toronto, Canada.

What happened to your freedom yankee boy? Can't even carry a knife in NYC?
>>
>>34120495
>Manhattan DA specifically tells cops to go after construction workers because almost all of them carry some kind of folding knife for work

DA doesn't tell them to go after those guys, quite frankly they don't want the small time shit clogging up the courts, but it is in fact the fucking scumbag NYPD veterans that encourage rookies to make the collars so they start building up their reps. I know those because I have a few cop buddies and my cousin is a rookie. They are even blatant about it posting and teaching them how spot them and flick the knife on a well known cop forum (in cop only section.) DA's, mind you don't turn them away and they will appreciate a win, but they look for and prefer big cases. The knife cases are getting major news coverage and the low hanging fruit isn't all tat impressive in DA offices.
>>
http://www.unlimitedwares.com/tac-force-tf-705gy-8-grey-gentlemans-spring-assisted-folding-knife/

I carry link related on the clip in my pocket every single day. I live near philly and recently drove through jersey and New York to get to Connecticut. I obviously had it on me and didn't even give it a second thought because it's normal here in pa.

After reading all of this, I'm glad I didn't get pulled over. Holy shit, I will never move to those states. What other states are like this?
>>
>>34124878
Outside NYC limits you would be ok, with that piece of shit ugly as sin Chinese garbage, brah.

But it's not so bad, I was born and grew up in NYC and you learn to skirt the laws. No biggie.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.