[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why isn't this style of sight, as far as I know only ever

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: low quality ASP sight picture.jpg (5KB, 208x243px) Image search: [Google]
low quality ASP sight picture.jpg
5KB, 208x243px
Why isn't this style of sight, as far as I know only ever installed on the ASP pistol from the factory, more popular? When time to aim is key and precision accuracy doesn't matter this seems ideal.
>>
File: guttersight432432.jpg (91KB, 938x583px) Image search: [Google]
guttersight432432.jpg
91KB, 938x583px
>>34107736
>inb4 people start posting things like pic related and claim its a Guttersnipe.

I've never heard a soild explanation. It was under patent protection for a long time, but I'm sure its expired by now. It seems like a pretty neat idea, but I have no idea how well it actually translates into real world use.
>>
>>34107736
https://www.460rowland.com/product/the-rowlanator/
>>
>>34107800
>The tough-looking Rowlanator incorporates a very effective grooved sighting system helping the shooter find and align his or her front sight much more quickly
>front sight

Not a Guttersnipe sight.
>>
From only a glance at this sight which I've never seen before, it appears that you point of aim obscures 270 degrees of your point target, to a degree. Standard pistol sights obscure only 180 of your target (the bottom half) and provides quick acquisition without the unnecessary "threading" of a sight picture.
>>
>>34107736
>Why isn't this style of sight, as far as I know only ever installed on the ASP pistol from the factory, more popular
Probably due to impracticality. Not that gutter sights don't work, but something just as simple like glock sights work equally, if not, better.

I still think they're pretty neat. Would love to see a guttersnipe produced for modern pistols.
>>
>>34107736
because anyone who's compared that with a pistol with conventional sights will see that a close range it's all the same shit

at 5 yards i can draw and hit a 6" circle with my eyes closed, and im just a regular guy who dryfires every once in a while. when you're that close your guttersnipe sights aren't going to be any faster than regular sights
>>
>Less flexible than normal sights, I dont even know how you would make a milled trench adjustable
>Less precise than normal sights. It was intended for quick point shooting so this doesn't matter much, but judging "are these triangles the same size?" is a lot more arbitrary and requiring of focus than lining up 3 glowing dots, especially in a high stress situation
>Not really relevant these days. They could have made a comeback 20 years ago, but pistol red dots are the future, since they take up less space on the slide; are less obstructive and a floating dot is a bit more user friendly
Dont know why nobody has done it, but that's why its not widespread at least.
>>
>>34107736
Because the ASP was specifically designed for really close combat where speed and sighting up really quickly rather than accuracy is what wins shootouts. Furthermore in CLOSE shoot outs most people don't bother sighting up and thus the whole point of a guttersnipe is void.
Not really much point for most other pistols because the only market where guttersnipes are better than normal sights is if you are someone who is going to be in a really close and quick shootout i.e not police or military or most CC civilians which are like the three most lucrative markets for sidepieces.
ASP is one of a kind and I'm pretty sure really fucking expensive.
Still think they are fucking kewl tho. Would give my qt gf an ASP if I had an ASP, or a gf.
>>
File: steyrsights.jpg (89KB, 464x640px) Image search: [Google]
steyrsights.jpg
89KB, 464x640px
>>34108286
>>34108358
>>34108451
>>34108465
Alright, point taken. Are 3 dots really the best though? I've heard good things about the Steyr M9 and Caracals sights.
>>
>>34108639
Probably depends on the shooters preference but I would assume that 3 dots are the most flexible and perform best on average at short/mid/long range when compared to other sights that are more tailored to one specific distance.
>>
>>34108639
depends on the situation. Are you shooting at paper or are you shooting at a threat?
>>
>>34108847
Threats, close and medium range.
>>
>>34108358
>glock sights work equally, if not, better.
The most replaced part on a block?
>>
I feel like if close up self defense situations are most important then XS Big Dots are certainly something you should check out. I have them on my glock 19 and they're fast as hell up to 15 yards, decently accurate at 25. Past that and we're really not talking about a realistic self defense situation.

If longer range is more important to you because you want to use the same sight for shooting competitions as you do for carry then go trijicon HD - not as fast up close but still fast and you can hit things pretty accurately at distance as well.

I think red dot sights are really only helpful at longer ranges and doing transition drills in competitions. For the flash sight picture - holy fuck he's got a knife shit shit shit moments, irons and more specifically Big Dots are better
>>
I went and got a small pistol for CC, just haven't been able to deal with getting the license since I'm not sure if someone in my house could get the letter in the mail when I'm not there, so I don't carry it ever. First thing I did with it was add a new sight on it. Technology has improve a lot those guttersnipe sights are fudd tier now in comparison that only people afraid of technology because it wasn't perfect when it rolled out, and they couldn't see the potential benefit of it stick with such low tech measures.
>>
File: IMG_1513.jpg (456KB, 1258x741px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1513.jpg
456KB, 1258x741px
>>34108893
He's not saying they're good, just that they're better than guttersights
>>34108926
Here's what the sight picture looks like - they also offer them for subcompacts
>>
>>34108928
Do you distrust your family that much that they'd open your mail and steal your CC permit?
>>
>>34108926
I just put them on my glock 19 the other week and my god they as so quick to get on target with.
>>
>>34109298
It's not that they'd steal it. It's that they'd see something official looking, open it up, then start a fight over it. I already know they try going through some of my shit knowing exactly what I have and where I don't want them to have an excuse to try to break into my shit to steal anything. They've destroyed some of my stuff in the past while I wasn't there and try gaslighting. Nothing much I can do about it until I can cut them out of my life for good.
>>
Because point shooting is a thing. At that point you may as well have an XS Big dot with or without the rear.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.