[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /k/ I bought a nice lee enfield no1 Mk3 at a gun show y

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

File: ar-15 stock.jpg (13KB, 640x235px) Image search: [Google]
ar-15 stock.jpg
13KB, 640x235px
hey /k/

I bought a nice lee enfield no1 Mk3 at a gun show yesterday and I wanna buy ammo for it. It needs .303 british but some of the ammo has wild prices

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/productlist/ammo-shooting/rifle-ammo/303-british-ammo?d=121&c=96&s=917

Theres some ammo from Wolf WPA that is selling 20 rounds for 9 dollars as you can see or another brand PPU at 17 dollars for 20 rounds. How do I know what ammo is good?

picture not really related
>>
File: 1494648622774.jpg (55KB, 463x750px) Image search: [Google]
1494648622774.jpg
55KB, 463x750px
You buy it and shoot it you fucking mongoloid.
>>
>>34103215
is it truly that simple?
>>
.303 is generously tapered, which is nice if you're going to shoot cheap steelcase like Tula, it'll extract reliably enough.

Otherwise, it really doesn't hurt to handload if you're gonna shoot an obsolete old cartridge like this.
>>
>>34103636
I was thinking of loading my own shells. these .303's are more expensive than other common ammunitions I've seen.

I'm just worried about getting garbage ammo.
>>
>>34103636
Also what are some good retailers I should buy from?
>>
Buy PPU and reload.

If you're too poor to afford PPU sell the gun.
>>
>>34103726
Its not that I'm poor its just I saw discrepancies across prices of this .303 and I had never purchased any before. I'm inclined to buy the 9 dollar ammo, they even have a bulk 280 rounds for 110 dollars at the bottom if the WPA ammo turns out to be ok and isn't garbage.
>>
>>34103129

Watch MidwayUSA for .303 deals, I got a case of 250 for 80 bucks like five months ago. They have deals on Pakistani (POF) .303 fairly often. You can't reload, and you'll need to put lemon pledge down the barrel after you shoot it, but if you don't want to reload and need cheap ammo, surplus is your best bet.
>>
>>34103782
Thanks anon! Unfortunately I've heard that .303 surplus has been used up. Can I reload that ammo you're talking about from MidwayUSA or can I not reload on Pakistani specifically?

What kind of brass can I reload with? is it only the steel shells or the brass ones too?
>>
>>34103801

NP!

It has to do with the old primers (Berdan, I think) being super finicky and hard to find. You can't reload, I'm pretty sure, any .303 surplus, because its all old enough to use that primer.

If you buy new stuff, like PPU (which is good stuff, I've used it quite a bit in my no.4 mk1) you can reload that. Pretty much anything NEW and BRASS CASED can be reloaded. No steel reloading though, at least not to my knowledge.
>>
>>34103826
Dank. I'll probably buy some PPU right now and deal with the price until I find something cheaper. Do you think the WPA ammo for 9 dollars is good or should I avoid it in case its garbage? How can I tell if I get garbage ammo?

I probably should have put these questions in the sqtddtot thread
>>
>>34103801
The only easily reloadable surplus .303 ammo is Greek HXP.

That has dried up.

Buying PPU and reloading is the most cost effective way of shooting.

Wolf ammo is garbage, spend the extra pennies and get Prvi.
>>
>>34103858

Really the only way to test your ammo is to see if it feeds alright, and if it shoots straight enough to be to your liking. No one's gonna believe this, but with the PPU I can occasionally hit a target out at 580 yards.

I'd take a box of PPU and a box of Wolf to the range with, set up two targets at 100 yards or less, depending on your comfort level, and check the groupings. That way even if you aren't a great shot, you can get some kind of idea.

Also 20 rounds for 9 bucks is good, I've seen that deal, but bear in mind you probably have to pay shipping.
>>
>>34103884

Pakistani .303 comes on Midway all the time, I saw it just a few weeks ago.
>>
>>34103913

RELOADABLE, my bad.
>>
>>34103897
>>34103884
Thanks guys

Any recommendations on what to do to reload? How to reload, etc? I know I probably need a machine to do it, primpers, ball and gun powder obviously but I don't know where to start
>>
>>34103897
>midway USA

I just made an account and shipping is out the ass. I don't suppose theres a way to get free shipping? I'm being super jew right now because now my 17 dollar ammo is 28 dollars
>>
>>34103942
Unless you can convince Midway to pay for your shipping, I don't think so.

As said before, if you want to shoot an Enfield, getting a setup for reloding is really the best way to go, just buy a couple of boxes of PPU ammo, shoot the stuff, and then reuse those casings for a while.
>>
>>34103942
http://www.sgammo.com/product/303-british-ammo/20-round-box-303-british-174-grain-fmj-prvi-partizan-ammunition-pp391

My go to place for everything.
>>
>>34104077
How many times can I realistically reuse the shells before they're no longer usable/safe?
>>
>>34104172
That's not an easy question. It varies from gun to gun, and ammo to ammo.

But, generally with a bolt action I'm comfortable with reloading case up to four times.
>>
>>34104165
Thanks anon!

I was thinking to avoid shipping I was gonna try and buy local. There's 2 stores near me that are mostly nok-black gun stores I'm bound to find 303 in.

I'm a new yorker unfortunately the safe act fucks my ass liberally otherwise I was going to get an ar15 if I had the chance to get an unbutchered one. But I preferred a more historical piece
>>
>>34103129
Reload PPU .303 Brass as its the best bang for your buck in my opinion.
>>
>>34104259
Yeah I always attempt to support local stores, but most of them around me only stock expensive hunting ammo in most milsurp calibers.

When ordering online I order at least a hundred rounds at a time to get my shipping to even out.
>>
>>34104283
Man I noticed that sgammo website has 500 rounds for 330$. That's way too much money for me to spend in one go but I wish they'd have a 250 round size for like 120 that'd be more chewable
>>
>>34103826
What's your opinion on the difference between the 150gr, 174gr, and the 180gr? Is there a significant difference in recoil felt?
>>
>>34104310
You could try to contact them to see if they'll sell a half case, I doubt they'll do that though.

But it never hurts to try.
>>
>>34104384
I've shot them all, and I definitely noticed when I was shooting 180 grain.
>>
>>34104409
Well fuck me anyway

If I buy ammo online I have to have it sent to an ffl to be picked up. I fucking hate new york

I Went to the gun show and saw tons of butchered ugly fucking ar15 and all this dogs hit gimmick people have tried to make to make legal versions.
>>
>>34104465
God fucking dammit

Every fucking store around me wants 15 extra dollars for a fucking transfer on ammo
>>
>>34104465
>>34104494
Move to PA
>>
>>34104494
>>
>>34104465
All the gimmicks pale next to the SCR for the fact that it has a traditional rifle stock without faggotry and takes detachable mags without any cuck buttons or crippled grips.

Of course, a regular AR15 will still be better.

>>34104494
All the more incentive to set yourself up for handloading.
>>
>>34103747
ammoseek.com
>>
Not to hijack OPs thread, but beside ishapore were there many enfields that were commonly chambered (or re-chambered) in .308? Want an enfield, but also want to avoid OPs current dilemma.
>>
>>34104514
Fuck off we're full
>>
>>34106768
The only rechamberings of the enfield are the Ishapore .308 rifles and the .410 shotgun conversions they made for riot police. There is the very expensive and in my experience hard to find L42A1 sniper the british made in 7.62 NATO.
>>
>>34109702
The L42A1 is pretty cool, but too rich for my blood since the Enfield action is more of just a neat curiosity to me. I guess its the Ishapore for me then, thanks anon.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.