[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys. I've been carrying a pistol for years now, but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

Hey guys. I've been carrying a pistol for years now, but now I've got a better job and moved out to a more rural area and think it's about time I took the riflepill. I've shot my brother's .22 any number of times, and want something bigger and more interesting, preferably a gun that is fun for target shooting but can also kill large wild animals, humans, and monsters.

What do you recommend?
>>
A battle rifle in .308.
>>
I'd start with a basic AR15 and go from there.
>>
>>34103178

God no, fuck off with that autism rifle.

>it's only $500!
>...now buy these $1000 of attachments, goyim.
>>
Humans die from most anything in rifles, within practical limits. Your other requirements of
>large wild animals
>monsters
are more interesting.

There are a few ways of meeting this requirement. I'm not the most knowledgeable on hunting round legality, but if you want to take large game you'll want something in at least .308 win. However, we still need to decide if you like semi-auto or manual repeating actions, but the choice in exact round limits this. .308 win is a shorter cartridge than .30-06 spfld, for example. The longer cartridges don't have a lot of options (.30-06 gives you the Garand, the old BAR, or the modern BAR). Granted, Falkor defense does make a .308 win mag rifle that's based on the M16 pattern, but there are even bigger rounds. Point being, you need to pick what your game is, and then pick the round you'll use to take it. This will severely limit your options in rifles, making your question more practical.

Also, full size rifles are chambered in dollar bills, at a minimum. Reload.
>>
>>34104848
I forgot to mention that you can get anything you want in a bolt gun (except maybe magazine capacity). Semi-automatics are where you find limits in cartridge choice.
>>
>>34104848

I want semiauto, please, but not the AR pattern because I hear they're unreliable and fragile.
>>
>>34104951
If you're Canadian the SKS is a damn fun gun, cheap too
>>
SKS
>reliable if kept clean
>7.62x39
>fucking cheap
>semi-auto
Just don't go full autistic by giving it a tapco mag
>>
>>34104951
>Unreliable and fragile
No more than any other rifle, but personal taste is still a valid objection.

We still haven't gone over what hunting you're thinking about, which is the real practical limit for what you asked for. You'll need to look up your state (and potentially local) regulations for whatever you're planning.
>>
>>34103204
>buying attachments
>>
>>34105012
>fucking cheap
>not since way back
>>
>>34103204
>>34105150
But guys! You totally need that $1000 dbal for 50 yard daylight local range shooting once every 4 months!

A-and that ACOG.
Oh, and that unobtainable KAC brake Chris Costa used in the Magpul videos!

That way when you get divorced and have to sell your home, you can pay your debtors by piecing out your build... for pennies on the dollar to kids on a Burmese Pokemon manga fan forum.
>>
>>34103178
>interesting
>fun to shoot
>can kill wild animals, humans, and monsters
an AR15 is none of those things, retard
>>
A good ole scattergat will do you good

Versatile as fuck and loads of fun to shoot weird ass rounds out of
>>
File: 1483839032057.jpg (224KB, 1024x577px) Image search: [Google]
1483839032057.jpg
224KB, 1024x577px
>>34103079
glorious russian metal

not as complicated as AR's so if you're not big on guns it's good

ammo is cheap as fuck talkin 700 rds for $160, and 7.62 will literally fuck anything over in NA
>>
File: 1489087718267.jpg (52KB, 331x331px) Image search: [Google]
1489087718267.jpg
52KB, 331x331px
>>34105261
You're being very specific, so much so that I believe that the situation you layout has been your own experience.
You've been duped into buying attachments you didn't need, but you do not blame yourself, you blame the rifles design.
Unless you're not that other guy, in which case I do not know what you are trying to illustrate and a followup reply would be helpful in clearing up a possible mix-up.
>>
>>34105261
>>34103204
Basic AR. It shoots and real horrible companies aside, it works as long as you maintain it.

If you are going to shoot it alot and feel you want more comfort or whatever, get attachments that fit your need.

If you intend to shoot longer range and not have the best eyes, get magnified optic.

If you intend to use it as a home gun, put a light source on it and either get good with irons in the dark, tritium irons, or a red dot.

If you want have the cash to burn on reputation and "tested" equipment (optics, lights, stock, etc) then buy those.

Seriously, how is this that complicated? The two of you make it sound like you're planning a manned mission to Mars.
>>
>>34105361
I do own 3 ARs but none of them are decked out full retard mode. Pretty basic actually.

I'm not "that other guy," but...

All I'm saying is that people (typically newer gun owners) don't know what they're getting themselves into with ARs.
They play into the "hurr durr buy an AR, it's only $500" meme and then realize yeah, you CAN buy an AR for $500, but it's the most basic shit you can get your hands on.

Then they have to buy hundreds or thousands in attachments to have the rifle they thought they were getting in the first place... And now it's not cheap. At all.

On the other side of the coin, you have the people that catch themselves before dropping all kinds of money and want to get out of the AR game. Problem is, most of them are delusional about what the rifle is worth.

>2 days ago
>check my FB closed "for sale" groups
>kid selling AR
>no picture, just a hard case (FB cuck gun sale rules)
>first comment asks what it is
>kid replies PSA upper and Anderson lower, no special attachments or internals, has "some mags and 500 rounds of ammo."
>wants $1250
>u avin a laugh m8?
>>
File: its_always_sunni.jpg (26KB, 449x308px) Image search: [Google]
its_always_sunni.jpg
26KB, 449x308px
>>34104951
ok so from what I gather, you want:
>semiauto
>full size round
>not an AR pattern rifle.
I'd say an SKS, AKM, M1 Garand, M1a carbine, a FAL pattern rifle, or PTR91F.
Go with the slavic weapons if you want cheap ammo.
btw, there is nothing unreliable or fragile about the AR pattern.
>It's Always Sunni in Philadelphia
>>
>>34105437
Oh, I see.
It seems that the problem is with peoples knowledge and expectations of the rifle, not the rifle itself.
But that could be said about most rifles, the AR is just so mainstream that most of the people who buy it only do so because they've been conditioned into thinking that it's the one of the best semi-auto rifles they could buy.
>>
>>34105515
Yep. The expectation is COD tier modern ninja rifle- But your basic AR is not that. Hence the emptiness felt then leads to decorating it with (sometimes unnecessary) attachments.

Most of my friends and people I sort of "advise" about ARs tend to go with something more unique and cheaper to own/shoot. Once I explain that the difference between a $500 AR and a $1000 AR could just be a trigger and a fancy bcg, they usually shy away from that rabbit hole.
>>
>>34105012

Tapco mags work fine.
>>
>>34105707
The rifle works fine without it.
>>
>>34105515
>>34105552

It's not the AR's fault, the AR is a good rifle. It's the fault of fans who conflate the price of a basic AR and the performance and versatility of a really high-end AR and think these can all exist in one mythical "best possible semiauto" and shitpost endlessly about it.
>>
>>34105722
>>34105707

I got mine secondhand and it had tapco mags. I've fired it and ones that were unaltered and seen no real difference besides the tapco being quicker to reload. Either way works, and my plain and simple recommendation is to not change it from what it used when you got it so long as it keeps working.
>>
>>34105552
So the AR having a big aftermarket is a disadvantage now?

I understand what you're saying and I can respect it. People should understand what they're getting for the price AND know that they can upgrade basically anything they don't like or want to improve later.

This is honestly one of the best threads I've seen in a while, I'd be glad to hear more of your opinion.
>>
>>34105998
Jumping in to keep the thread alive.

From my reading of the discussion, the key issue is not the pattern of the rifle itself, but the way it's presented. In the same vein, the aftermarket alone is not a weakness, but it is over-hyped.

In discussing the worth of the AR-15 aftermarket, the actual cost and actual benefit of the parts is also worth noting. A really nice trigger can end up costing half the base cost of a rifle, for example. I mean, I lego'd an AR-15 together (during the election), and it easily cost me around $700 in parts. The only thing I splurged on was free-floating a nice barrel (that I neglected to properly break in). You can get a gently used Winchester model 70 for that, and instead of spending money on armorer's tools use that money to get a used reloading press and die set. There's also plenty of "enhancements" that do nothing, or are intentionally produced to be more expensive than they could be. The Ranier Arms catalog is a good example of this. Many parts that RA sells are precision machined from aluminum so they can be anodized and shined up, but do nothing to affect the function of the rifle itself; stuff like odd colored magazine release buttons, bolt catches, and so on. They make the rifle look like it belongs in CS:GO, but they won't fundamentally change the rifle.

I guess I'll add to the discussion in terms of how the AR-15 worked as my "first rifle." It actually wasn't, by any measure. However, many years passed where I never picked up a rifle, and I wasn't going to re-teach myself how to shoot on Win .270. Also, with the threat of AWB 2.0 looming, I really wanted to build an AR. Of course, the unexpected happened, but I still enjoy shooting (and studying about) the AR. I probably treat it nicer than a combat rifle is designed to be treated.
>>
>>34103079
[Obligatory moist nugget meme]
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.