[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I was working with a friend doing worldbuilding for a fantasy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_5342.jpg (224KB, 503x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5342.jpg
224KB, 503x768px
I was working with a friend doing worldbuilding for a fantasy game. I was trying to determine how each nation/faction's armies would have evolved due to their factors like their terrain.

So my question is: if you had a decent sized nation whose territory was made primarily of wetlands (combination of swamps, marshes, and bogs), what characteristics might develop for an army/militia? I figured this nation would be more of a confederacy so it's fairly decentralized, though I'd be interested how a very organized centralized nation would do as well.

It's a typical fantasy setting, so that are a lot of anachronisms. The time period includes elements mostly from the medieval era, but also from antiquity up to 15th century.

All I have so far is that they would rely on infantry- probably light infantry. But I don't know about weapons and equipment specifically. I figure missile troops would mostly be archers who are familiar with archery through hunting. Can you help me /k/?
>>
>>34102910
Peat from bogs is a pretty effective fuel, similar to coal. If this nation has some non-swampy land to build cities, they could end up becoming an early industrial power.
>>
>>34103005
That had not occurred to me. I suppose there would be at least some areas with suitable land.
>>
>>34102910
>if you had a decent sized nation whose territory was made primarily of wetlands
Sounds like a larger Netherlands.
>>
>>34102910
A largely infantry based army with some Mechanization and riverine boats somewhat like Columbia and Brazil
>>
>>34103005
>>34103041
jonboat or airboat swamp raiders would be rad.
>>
>>34103544
Sorry I didn't read the "fantasy" part. Look up the Aztecs and their boat warfare, as well as how the Spaniards conquered Latin America
>>
>>34102910
Light infantry, Small craft and archery

Think Canoes and small sail craft. Anything heavier will be optimized to hold choke points for regular land or water routes. Lots of rear area raiding in defense. If nation has flood control expect defensive or offensive flooding.

Any straight up battle will have harriers from effectively impassable swamps. If non humans present expect amphibian types messing with the enemy.

Rivers will be highways so expect fortifications for river control. Catapults, early canon, chains and river obstacles.

If coastal expect them to have good navy/merchant marine because sea travel will beat swamp travel hollow for speed and ease.

Traditional sieges will not work due to environment. Sieging a city would result in disease and supply issues making a mockery of traditional tactics.
>>
To add to other posters; in terms of military structure and i imagine lots of delegation and deregulation. High levels of responsibility given to small unit commanders and NCOs. Due to difficulty in moving through, holding or fixing the enemy to terrain much empahsis put on acting on opportunity and taking inititive in absence of orders. Could led to highly competitive "glory chasing" as up and coming officers/NCOs attempt to out do each others raids/harrasment.

Skirmishing and manuver style warfare due to lack of ability to field heavy weapons or defenses.

I imagine their doctrine being close to the tennants of an effective raid:

Surprise, speed, violence of action.
>>
>>34103799
>>34103594
>>34103972
This is all good stuff, thanks. It had occurred to me that we would be dealing likely with small unit tactics, maybe even clan based, and the idea of battle-rafts/canoes/boats I think could be great. Small craft for shallow water that archers could maneuver around in and shoot from various angles with virtually impunity. Plus they could allow flanking by dropping off troops.

Let me ask y'all what might be a really stupid question: what using oil or something like that? What I means is: could you trap the enemy by lighting the environment on fire? They'll often be walking on narrow strips of solid land, or even wading through shallow parts. Could experienced defenders do a controlled burn to catch the enemy off guard? Or is this a tremendously bad idea?
>>
Maybe I'm just talking out of my add, but with all those wetlands, they might not have as much east access to metal ores. Maybe that, combined with their confederate nature, mean your average guy might be armed with a spear. This reduces the amount of quality metal needed (and doubles as a hunting weapon). Machetes and axes might also be good. They would highlight that these people are workers and farmers first, and in warfare their rely on ambush tactics and good knowledge of their terrain more than having the best weapons.

You would want a core group of warriors or soldiers though, maybe like a guard for the leaders, who can hold ground. These guys can block off the enemy on narrow strips of land. Maybe they have big shields and spears, and short swords as back up.
>>
Name of the game?
>>
>>34106213
I can't really say much in specifics, partially because it's way in the early stages. I will say this: /k/ probably will not care for it. The information that I'm getting here will be used mostly for things other than actual gameplay. It will mostly be relegated to things like bios. I just was tasked with it, so I'm having fun fleshing it out, but I don't even know if any of it will actually make it in. And that's even assuming the game gets completed.

Basically what I'm trying to tell you is, this isn't going to be a great game. And because I've said that (and I have given enough identifying information already), I don't feel like I can say anything more without getting in trouble (not really legal trouble, but still trouble I don't want).

And now I probably sound like a twat.
>>
Shit swamp raiders actually sounds really cool.
Hope everything goes well OP.
>>
I could see them developing good guerilla warfare skills. Strike at an enemy squad or what-have-you with their bows and stuff then disappear with good camo. The crannogmen from ASOIAF would be a nice comparison.

Fantasy 'nam when?
>>
>>34102910
just make it Holy Roman Empire

>inb4
>>
>>34106119
Look up bog iron, it was once in fact the easiest source of iron.
Combine that with the possible availability of peat and there you go.

I sort of think of swamp warriors part way between wood elves and skaven (to use warhammer terms) in how they act.
On one hand fast and elite and silent missile units, on the other hand some sort of industrial shamanistic magic vibe
>>
you might look into the swamp areas of Iraq, how they lived and how Saddam drained the water and effectively wiped out the tribes living there.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.