/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Navy fag here, just graduated gunners mate A school. Any advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

File: gm mk 38.jpg (78KB, 900x647px) Image search: [Google]
gm mk 38.jpg
78KB, 900x647px
Navy fag here, just graduated gunners mate A school. Any advice from those who have been to the fleet?
>>
Don't try to bite, they'll knock your teeth out and then rape your mouth.
>>
>>34101899
US Navy not Russian
>>
>>34101873
I'm very interested in becoming a gunners mate. How was boot? What did it take to get a gunners mate slot?
>>
>>34101873
Congrats on joining the lamest branch. Enjoy getting nowhere as the Filipino mafia promotes some dumb dumb Island monkey over you every single time.
>>
>>34101873
>Any advice from those who have been to the fleet?
punch your COB in the mouth the first time you meet him, it's an old Navy tradition.
>>
>>34102119
Not many new flips as I was leaving.
They were promoting blacks instead

What's your specialty as a GM?
Where are you going and on what kind of vessel?
>>
>>34102115
OP here. Boot was a joke, the hardest part was getting over the homesickness. Gunners mates are a dime a dozen rate, at least as far as I know. You don't need a very high ASVAB to get it, and school is easy if you apply yourself to learn the material. Basically just work with a recruiter and they'll set you on the right path. Keep in mind that path is glorified and they don't tell you about all the bullshit you deal with as a shit nothing E2/E3
>>
>>34101873
Enjoy 3M, shitter
>>
>>34102160
OP again. GM specializes in everything gun. Mostly just maintenance from what I understand. As far as ships, GMs go everywhere. I don't have orders yet so I can't say where they'll throw me
>>
>>34101873

Ignorant civie here. What does being a gunner in the modern navy even mean? I thought computers did all that stuff now? It's not like we have battleships anymore.
>>
>>34102356
Computers aim it, where as we do the maintenance. But it's not just missiles and cannons that we work on. We also work with small arms, cleaning, more maintenance (are you picking up on the trend?) and supervising/training others how to shoot. We also do riverine stuff, think small gun boats with machine guns from Vietnam.
>>
>>34101873
tfw Weapons Tech in RCN
>3 month basic
>9+1 month course for ship qual
>27 month apprenticeship on ship
>9 month course for journeyman
>>
>>34102033

get your body ready

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/nov/3/gay-rape-military-underreported-pentagon/
>>
>>34102382

>We also do riverine stuff, think small gun boats with machine guns from Vietnam.

So you're like a combination of an mechanic and a firearms instructor? What do you do on the small boats?
>>
>>34102462
It's a pretty expansive rate, so I don't know a whole lot about that stuff. I'm sure you could find some wikipedia article on it
>>
Can you say what your job mostly entails? Will you be on a ship? Did you get to choose your assignment?

Have any aspirations or end goals for your enlistment?

Bonus question: Favorite weapon system
>>
>>34102510
Guns, fixin shit, will most likely be on a ship, I get to say what would like but it's up to the detailer to put me where ever. Haven't thought too hard about goals. I'd like to get a college education and pay off my car, maybe start to look for that special someone near the end of my contract. I haven't worked on a whole lot thus far, but by far my most favorite PLATFORM is the .50 cal
>>
>>34102325
Thanks. I heard boot was mostly indoors or some weird shit. What are the instructors like? I also figure the bullshit is in every rate as junior enlisted.
>>
>>34101873
Enjoy mail buoy watch.
>>
>>34102662
*bouy
>>
>>34102382
>We also do riverine stuff, think small gun boats with machine guns from Vietnam.

Oh you sweet, naive, summer child.
>>
> Get your qualms
> Don't get married for BAH
> Don't drink and drive
> Don't be a dirty smelly asshole
> Use TA if you can make time for it
> Don't buy a brand new car and get into debt
> Stay away from NAVY/Ship hoes
> If you go on deployment see some shit in port. Don't get wasted every night at the nearest bar.
> Keep in shape
> Don't be a little bitch like I've heard most of the kids entering the fleet are
> Don't complain, just do your job
> Try to get some collateral duties ASAP
> Keep your uniform squared away, shine your boots, shave, and keep your hair cut
> Don't be a suck up or a blue falcon (buddy fucker)
> Make some good friends, they'll probably be your friend the rest of your life
>>
All the marines are gonna come on your ship and make your life hell.
>>
>>34103653
Oh they're gonna come alright, and I don't think on decks
>>
>>34101873
You're a snigger pull your head out of your ass you will never shoot down a jet or missile you waste of rec space faggot
>>
>>34101873
Former GM2 here. Best advice I could give would be to see if you can get into working in the armory rather than on a 5" or missile system crew. I left the fleet in 2006 as my ship's armorer and fucking loved it. I spent 80% of my at-sea working days locked in the armory by myself, with my music playing on the laptop, doing maintenance or prepping for qualifications/drills, without anyone bothering me or coming to me for shit. Fucking 10/10 job, but there's only one ship's armorer, so you need to know your shit (or be in the right place at the right time) to get it. For bonus points, the armory is usually so far below the waterline that it's nice and cool during the summer, even when other compartments are sweltering.

Downsides:
1. Sprinkler system flushes suck. Imagine yourself running live fire hoses down the passages at 4 AM because you have to have shit done before the rest of the crew is awake and trying to work around you.

2. It's not difficult to find yourself in deep shit because of the actions of an idiot coworker, and as a GM, you'll have several of those. They very nearly sent my entire division to captain's mast because one especially retarded coworker left a box of 7.62 on the flight deck after helo operations. Actually that same dumbshit almost got us all fucked at least 3 different times. You get used to it after a while.

3. Cleaning Mk19s is bullshit and awful. Fuck Mk19s.
>>
>>34103653

>>34103922 again, I actually liked the FAST platoon they routinely had on my ship. They were generally cool guys, their gunny was badass as hell, and their armorer was super laid back. I liked working with them more than most of my own guys.

It was also pretty fucking great spending my free time playing SOCOM on my Playstation in the armory while they were running laps around the main deck in full MOPP gear in 110 degree heat on the fucking equator.
>>
>>34103922
More things as I randomly remember them: your mileage, of course, may vary.

When in port, you always have one duty GM who's on a 24 hour shift and has to do all the firearm transfers for the armed watchstanders, as well as doing the daily magazine temperature checks. How much free time you have in port will be directly linked to how many qualified duty GMs you have. I had 6-9 guys in my division at any given time, so my duty rotation was usually pretty good. However, during holidays, it wasn't uncommon for that to drop to like 3 or 4 when people were on leave. I had one Christmas period where it was just me and one other GM swapping back and forth for a full week. That shit gets old.

Also, ammo onloads or offloads SUCK. It's literally just forming a working party and hauling seemingly endless crates of ammunition on or off the ship for hours at a time. If you have women in the party, fully expect them to be absolutely worthless for this effort. I never saw a female sailor last more than an hour during an ammo hauling party before dropping out to exhaustion, while we continued on for several more hours to finish it.

Speaking of female sailors, if you have any female GMs in your division, expect them to get pregnant at basically any time and know that they'll be entirely useless from that point onward. Pregnant women can't handle any sort of hazmat, stand any armed watches, or handle firearms or ammunition. You may notice this excludes them from doing literally anything related to a GM's job. They'll do nothing but office paperwork for 6 months before finally going out on maternity leave, and then you're just down a position for the next several months.
>>
File: IMG_1480.jpg (127KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1480.jpg
127KB, 600x600px
>>34101873

>Other GM's are fucking goof balls (like, 7/10)
>You have a great, interesting rate but don't think you're a fucking operator
>learn your small arms down to a field strip and move the fuck on
>learn MK38, mag sprinks and torps from someone competent
>learn 3M well and thoroughly
>DONT LIVE LIKE A SLOB
>take pride in your work spaces and DONT BE A SLOB

And importantly

>VLS is for lazy ass skaters
>5-inch is for men, it's where your roots as a gunners mate are

Just follow good examples, keep your mouth shut, and get your quals. It's very easy to do the simple things and shine past your peers. Plus GM3 is 100% and GM2 is 60%
>>
>>34103922
Last one before I go to bed:

UNREPs (underway replenishments) are fun as fuck but with great room for failure. Your sole purpose as a GM during an UNREP is to use a rifle grenade round to fire a shot line from your ship to the other, which they then use to haul over communications lines and eventually cargo lines. What this means is there's one beautiful moment where the entire topside UNREP detachment for both your ship AND the other ship are staring directly at you while you use a rifle to lob a heavy rubber projectile from one ship to another, with both vessels moving at high speed. Aim that fucker a good 30 degrees forward and 45 degrees above whatever you're aiming at and you might actually land somewhere near it. And remember it's better to shoot high and launch it over the opposite side (where they can just pull it up) than to hit low and have it bounce into the ocean and need to try again.

All things considered, I thought GM was a fun rate but please, for the love of fuck, make sure you're developing a plan for when you get out. I transitioned from that into a maintenance position at a steel mill, but other than your maintenance skills and some shit like your hydraulic/pneumatic training, you'll leave the fleet with virtually no transferable skills. Figure out what you're doing, take online courses, and SAVE YOUR MONEY while you're in. Make sure you're set up to hit the civilian world four years later with at least a partial education, a fat wad of cash, and a bunch of fun sea stories.
>>
>>34104117
>Plus GM3 is 100% and GM2 is 60%

Jesus fuck, GM2 was FIVE percent when I picked it up. Ah, the joys of 2005-tier overstaffing.
>>
File: IMG_1539.jpg (90KB, 492x559px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1539.jpg
90KB, 492x559px
>>34104177

>mfw GM2 at 2 years 11 months
>>
>>34103922
>Mk19 used onboard
Given that M430, Mk19's standard ammo is impact fuse round, does it blow and fragment when it hits the water?
>>
>>34101873
>25mm
Enjoy your multiple jams and half hour remedials
>>
>>34102398
>some faggots rape a dude

We would have killed any faggot that did that shit.

But I guess that's because it was before Obama fucked up the military.
>>
>>34102800
E-6 here this desu
>>
I'll pass on some sage advice i received from an old BMCM, "Everyone in the navy is your brother and sister. DON'T FUCK YER SISTER!"
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.