[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The point of blades like this is to leave a bigger wound, right?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 10

File: Flamberge.png (234KB, 382x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Flamberge.png
234KB, 382x1024px
The point of blades like this is to leave a bigger wound, right? Seems like the sort of thing that would be better suited to a dagger rather than a sword. Are there any daggers with blades like this? I know there's the kris, but that seems to be more ceremonial and decorative rather than practical.
>>
>>34100286
>The point of blades like this is to leave a bigger wound, right?

Sure bro. Pair it with a bloodgroove for maximum overkill.
>>
>Less surface area = less wound
When it comes to cutting at least.
>>
>>34100296
Is it not? I don't know man, I just assumed it was supposed to be wider so it left more of a wound. What's the purpose of it, then?
>>
>>34100286
There are two theories.
One is that it didn't do anything and was for fashion/showing off wealth.
The other is that if helped to bind pike shafts to the blade.

Your explanantion makes no sense as there are far cheaper ways of making a bigger wound than making the blade all wavy.
>>
>>34100334
Bloodgrooves are a myth, they exsisted to use less metal when making blades, the squiggly shit is less practical because any armored fight was usually won with blunt force hence pommels and halfsword (swinging with on hand on the middle of the blade) and unarmored a clean easy to remove and recover to a defensive position is easiest with a simple edge
>>
>>34100545
Yeah, I know what a fuller is, I just don't know the use of the squiggly shit. I assumed it was to leave a bigger wound through making a wider blade that's still light, but that was just an assumption that doesn't seem to be correct.

>the squiggly shit is less practical because any armored fight was usually won with blunt force
That's what I mean, seemed like it'd be more suitable to use on a dagger if wider wounds was the point.

>>34100390
>as there are far cheaper ways of making a bigger wound than making the blade all wavy.
Like what, out of curiosity?
>>
>>34100334
>wider so it left more of a wound

I dunno about the western flame blades, but in the east getting your sword blades all wavy like that was a demonstration of the smith's skill.
>>
>>34100286
Only villains wield wavy blades.
>>
>>34100286
General consesus is to show off smithing skills, leave jagged wound channels harder to revcover from, and parrying techniques would off balance an enemy fighter by deflecting in an unnatural pattern
>>
>>34100631
>Like what?
Twisting the sword once it's in the fucker
>>
>>34100286
Expensive and harder to make than straight edges, looks neat
Do you need any more reason?

One idea is that it makes uncomfortable vibrations for the guy trying to bind with your sword, but that's just an idea.

Really it's because it showed you had money and it looked cool.
>>
I agree with previous posters who stated:
It's to show off how super bad ass your smithing skills are in order to make it / how loaded you as the guy who comissioned the blade are in order to hire the first guy.
>>
>just spitballing with no real science/sources to back it up
a wavy sword like a flamberge could be a way for a swordsman to inflict the wound of a larger blade while retaining the weight of a smaller blade. either that or it's a showy piece not meant for combat
>>
>>34100286
It's to reduce suction based binding when trying to withdraw it from a deep wound.
>>
>>34102013
No, fuck off with this meme
>>
>>34100286
HLY FUCK so much mallninja bullshit. The only reason to do this OP is to make the sword stronger and lighter for as long as a Bidenhander or Zweihander or Greatsword will be. that's it, lighter, stronger, longer.
>>
>>34100296
>a bloodgroove
KYS
>>
>>34100883
Would it be any structurally weaker?
>>
>>34100286
A wavy blade was for catching and knocking aside the shaft of a spear/pike. It would probably have some interesting effects parrying another sword as well.

It has no effect on the lethality of the wound.
>>
>>34103750
>It has no effect on the lethality of the wound.
Despite it being wider and harder to fix up?
>>
>>34103668
Potentially but I doubt it would be meaningfully so. The bends might create stress concentration factors but unless you are parrying with the blade it shouldn't have much of an effect.
>>
This was used on rapiers, Montane, some daggers, and Kris. I know borderline nothing on eastern weaponry but I know that with the European ones, it was just to show wealth and look nice. No peasant in a gambeson and kettle helm is gonna get a flamberge zweihander, you know
>>
>>34104413
If you've been run through by a sword in the pre-modern era, you're fucked. It doesn't make much difference if the wound is a half inch wider.
>>
File: 1496117464800.jpg (15KB, 600x375px) Image search: [Google]
1496117464800.jpg
15KB, 600x375px
>>34100296
>bloodgroove
>>
>>34100334
Sharp points get stuck in bone easier and the waves in the blade leaves vibrations to the opponent.
>>
>>34100334
>>34104905
Also leaving the blade round on the tip allows more cutting edge for a slashing weapon
>>
Maybe they were thinking that if you dragged it across where the neck meets the shoulder or under the arm it would saw into the flesh make a deeper cut
>>
>>34100286
It serves no real purpose.
>>
File: 1365220557001.jpg (294KB, 1525x1075px) Image search: [Google]
1365220557001.jpg
294KB, 1525x1075px
The general consensus is that it was used to show wealth. Like the Landsknechts wearing absurd amounts of cloth and ripping it like it was nothing.

My personal hypothesis is that it combined the slicing action of a curved blade with a straight blade, but I have no mean to prove that hypothesis of mine.
>>
File: IMG_3903.jpg (93KB, 904x828px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3903.jpg
93KB, 904x828px
>>34107054
>tfw you will never sip water from a mug drawn from a cistern after butchering peasants while wearing multi-coloured poofy clothing and a sundered breastplate as your blackpowder gun rests against your knee
>>
>>34107092
Renaissance warfare is some of the most bloodiest shit past WW1 since it's where melee weapons reach its top form i.e. big spear vs big spear-axe vs big sword.

You do not want that m8.
>>
>>34102013
Was not referring to the "blood groove" explanation of fullers on impaling wounds, but the problem of getting a blade out of a deep cut.
>>
>>34107585
Meant for>>34102022
>>
File: IMG_3885.png (82KB, 214x276px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3885.png
82KB, 214x276px
>>34107111
You dont know me
>>
>>34107092
Nah, there are still peasants out there. Follow your dreams anon.
>>
>>34107612
>brb off to chechnya
>>
File: IMG_3881.jpg (90KB, 720x663px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3881.jpg
90KB, 720x663px
>>34107612
Forgot pic
>>
File: 1144418221201.jpg (199KB, 537x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1144418221201.jpg
199KB, 537x1000px
>The point of blades like this is to leave a bigger wound, right?

It was probably mostly to look cool.

But certainly, some owners may have believed that it'd cause more serious injury, or that it'd ensure infection, or something else along those lines. After all, something can be meant for somethign without actually achieving it. One thing that is likely to at least somewhat work is that a wavy blade changes the feel of blade on blade contact. Since the owner should be mroe used to it than his opponent, that could provide some degree of advantage. Then again, I don't think I've ever seen any training sword like this, so even the owner may be hard pressed to get very familiar with that feeling.

>>34100390
>The other is that if helped to bind pike shafts to the blade.
While that mays eem like a liekly thign when we look at the idea of using large twohanders as a special anti-pike weapon, there are two serious flaws with that idea.

The first is that it isn't just the large twohanders that have wavy blades, they appear on a number of different blade types.

Second, those large two-handers don't appear to have been meant as anti-pike weapons.

>>34104413
It's only the stab wounds being wider, and then it's only when compared to the same blade "pulled straight", not compared to the same blade without the notches taken out of it to make it wavy. And with all the other, sometimes somewhat random, factors at work here I really doubt this would be able to make any noteworthy difference.

And as far as stab wounds go, it seems to me that depth is generally more important than width. Your body hides the important bits deep inside.

>>34104543
Many of the Towton skeletons showed well-healed old cutting injuries to the bones, showing that it wasn't rare for a 15th century soldier to suffer quite serious injuries.
>>
File: 5039.jpg (321KB, 4329x1289px) Image search: [Google]
5039.jpg
321KB, 4329x1289px
>>34107054
>My personal hypothesis is that it combined the slicing action of a curved blade with a straight blade

While part of the wave, on a properly wavy blade, would probably end up properly aligned for that, part of the wave will not, giving you a lot of drag and bottlenecking your performance. And perhaps even worse, if you add the slicing component on your own, as you should, then the wavy nature of the blade emans there's still portions of it likely to not get any slicing effect to them.

And of course, we see a wide range of geometries on these wavy blades. I find it highly unlikely that they'd all give the same mechanical benefit, assuming one was to be found.
>>
>>34107686
>And perhaps even worse, if you add the slicing component on your own
What do you mean?
>>
>>34110241
He means as you 'draw cut' (pulling the blade slightly as you strike), like a sword is supposed to be used (although I don't know if it's practical to do with a Zweihänder given the inertia of the blade.)
>>
>>34110667
Ah, thanks.
>>
>>34110667
Or a push cut, which is the same concept as a draw cut but in reverse. It's only truly viable in fewer conditions, but they do exist.
>>
>>34100724
>leave jagged wound channels harder to revcover from
The exact opposite happens actually. Jagged wounds heal better
>>
>>34104413
>Despite it being wider
Have you actually compared the blade profile to contemporary swords. It's not like they welded extra shit to the blade
>>
File: confus.jpg (18KB, 346x300px) Image search: [Google]
confus.jpg
18KB, 346x300px
>>34113570
>jagged wounds heal easier

Wat
>>
>>34113622
Scratch that, I was thinking of cut vs tear.
Now back to the uniform cut vs ragged, if we're just assuming natural healing, healing would be slower and have a higher risk of infection due to the risk of reopening and all the nooks and crannies for bacteria to get into, but any surgeon worth a fuck should be able to "trim" the wound before closing it up
>>
>>34100842
But what if you twist this sword in the fucker?
>>
>>34100545

He was talking about the blade curving not fullers you fucking idiot
>>
These were the old world equivalent of riced out glocks.
>>
>>34103630
>>34104754

Are you two genuinely autistic?
>>
>>34100286
>stab someone all the way through their body with a sword
>it wasn't all wavy and shit
>they just laugh and walk away

100% realistic
>>
>>34100286
As far as I'm aware, it's for parrying purposes. The ridges would give you very accessible points to trap an opponents blade. As far as cutting performance goes, it seems like it would actually make a decent cut harder to pull off
>>
>>34113725
>>34113622
you're right. jagged cuts heal much quicker than straight slices.
>>
>>34100286
They cause extremely unpleasant vibrations in an opponent's weapon when you parry with it. Go hit the ground with an aluminum bat to get the idea.
>>
>>34115879
>lol dont worry
>just a broadsword
>>
File: Tactical toothpick.jpg (16KB, 650x309px) Image search: [Google]
Tactical toothpick.jpg
16KB, 650x309px
>>34115879
>>34115946
Was the Rapier the .22 long rifle of the 16th-17th centuries ?
>>
>>34115970
>with this baby your blade can bounce around between gaps in armor and turn your enemies into swiss cheese!
>>
>>34115875
Are you fucking retarded? Blood groove is a meme. It's called a fuller which reduces weight...that's it. It has nothing to do with blood.
>>
>>34116178
>The addition of "blood" to these words (i.e.: "blood channel," "blood gutter," "blood groove") was most likely a modern colloquialism, but gives the connotation of an unintended and undesirable purpose; that of directing blood toward the hands rather than lessening the weight of the blade.

Relax spergo, it's just a name.
>>
>>34113622
More space for the scar tissue to grow, lower tearing pressure = it will stick faster and will hold better than a clean cut.
>>
>>34116178
He (>>34100296) was being sarcastic you intractable autist.
>>
>>34115970
More like the 9mm of the time.
>Everyone uses it
>Some people still complain about lack of power
>Sometimes they're even right
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.