[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come that pro athletes are considered on their way out as

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

How come that pro athletes are considered on their way out as soon as their early 30s compared to SOF where 40yo dudes are considered to be in prime and are also expected to be on top athletic level as well?
>>
>>34096800
>Why is it that pro athletes are considered out of their prime in their early 30's but SOF are still considered "in their prime" well into their 40's?

translated using google translate

Retard >> English
>>
>>34096812
>I cannot into compound-complex sentences

Nigger I know this shit wasn't covered in your GED but at least try.
>>
>>34096800
Because athletes have a trained skill and are in best form in their 30's

Soldiers have a learned skill and are pretty damn close to best form in their 40's
>>
>>34096823
Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like? You've got to be kidding me. I've been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can
>>
>>34096800
Dumbass, athletes have a higher threshold. Athletes are useless as soon as they can't win bronze.
>>
Because athletes haven't been made into ultra useful psychopaths from 20 years of being in the suck.
>>
>>34096800
Because SOF is all about micromuscle skill and thinking. Athletes use macro muscles, thus break down faster.

SOF, while physical, is not that physical.
>>
>>34096855
ehhh I don't know about that.

athletes run and jump.
sof runs, jumps, swims, gets shoved into oxygen-deprived environments, rucks for days, gets repeatedly hurt/wounded, HAHO/HALOs/night jumps on the regular...
>>
>>34096800

Athletes tend to do something stupid that overworks and destroys their bodies at that point. Notice how none of the Olympians ever live to be 100?
>>
>>34096869
There's a difference between destroying your body to wheen out those the don't have it mentally and training muscles.
>>
>>34096800
>to SOF where 40yo dudes are considered to be in prime
They don't. You can't cheat nature. Peak is around 25-27 years. After 30 bodies are falling apart
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxcbppCX6Rk

But here is some things.
1. Physical performance is not only one thing. Experience knowledge and trust matter very much and you need around decade to teach all tricks to a man and establish your trust in him.
2. SOF don't need to be best unlike athletes just better than average durka durka. Facing athletes they will lose.
>>
Athletic performance depends a lot on specific tendon and muscle attachments which undergo a lot of heavy repetitive-motion stress. There is also a gradual slowdown in reaction speed, which can make a difference in a lot of sports.

One reason that combat sports like boxing are viable into older ages is because there is more general range of motion, and many men peak in raw strength toward their 40's as opposed to their younger years. The world-record for the squat (for example) was set by a guy who was 39 at the time.

By combining raw strength with learned skills and patterns, you will naturally tend to peak later in complex activities such as warfare.

It's a balance of the physical and the mental. If you remove the physical entirely, and go purely mental, a lot of authors/academics end up doing their best work in their 50's and 60's after decades of acquiring knowledge.

So, late-30's/early-40's is a good age for professional soldiers.
>>
File: IMG_2664.jpg (20KB, 519x283px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2664.jpg
20KB, 519x283px
How old is Big Boss?
>>
>>34096913
Most SOF guys online very often say that if you are elite (meaning devgru or the unit) you are considered to be not only at the pro level but at the olympic athlete level in every physical sense.

Its funy because if you look at soccer players for an instance they rarely play the entire game of 90 minutes in their mid/late 30s due to being unable to endure running for so long anymore. Basketball players have it a bit easier due to the nature of the sport but there is also hockey/football which is the same, plus those are direct contact kind of sports.
>>
>>34096935
Nzsas selection dropout here, fitness doesn't really count for much the cunts who got through were the ones who were good during interrogation phase.
>>
>>34096940
>nzsas

how hard was it to cope with failing
>>
>>34096934
in what instance

he'd be 80-90 today
>>
>>34096934
Born during WW2 after the USA got involved
>>
Athletics involve extremely high intensity application. Soldiering tends to involve a lot more long-term endurance. There'll be some cases of high intensity cardio but you normally aren't going to have to lift and fire an M2 single handedly or pull some parkour off the roofs of Damascus. Even legit out in the middle of nowhere LRRP type shit is more about endurance than cinematic hollywood Jason Bourne style athletic outrunning a patrol.

>>34096869

Don't think HALO jumps are on the regular to a level of an athlete. And SOF runs aren't Usain Bolt style track and field, or "Swim here in Michael Phelps style 3 minutes or game over the enemy catches you and you are shot". It's "Swim, swim, keep fucking swimming, keep fucking swimming, swim with a shit-load of gear. Maybe a high intensity swim to GTFO out of the objective but you aren't on some Metal Gear Solid time limit it's just swim ASAP to safety"

Emphasis on that rucks for days (and that depends on the special operators). Bravo Two Zero already had the naturally legendary SAS endurance but greater endurance to march further and get tired later would have payed a thousandfold a lot more than run faster or be more agile.

>>34096942

I'd hope he would remember how far he got and how short most of us would have reached, if reached at all, as consolation.
>>
File: Wew_0.jpg (84KB, 810x539px) Image search: [Google]
Wew_0.jpg
84KB, 810x539px
>>34096800
Peak physical fitness isn't what wins engagements and makes you good at the job. Obviously some fat body out in the Afghan mountains isn't gonna have a advantage, but there's also plenty of dead warriors throughout history that were at peak form.
>>
>>34096800

less physical demand, athletes have sustained physical effort with very specific moves, eye/hand coordination etc

human body declines after mid 20s and always a fresh supply of new younger athletes

soldiers have as much training but not the extended physical effort (at least all the time) and their specific body moves aren't as critical

my guess :)
>>
>>34096913
>After 30 bodies are falling apart
This actually starts somewhere in your upper mid 20s, the biggest thing that happens when you turn 30 is the first digit of your age changes
>>
>>34096800
Who said that SOF guys are in their prime in 40s? Where did you get these statistics?
>>
Prior to joining the British Army I had some success as a cyclist, with an aim to go to France to compete professionally. It was not to be, but I maintained an excellent level of fitness throughout and this really helped me in my career. I'd play other sport, too, but cycling remained my recreational sport and I knew/know a lot of professional cyclists. They are fitter than about 98 percent of the special forces troopers I know. The ones who are as fit, or fitter, also had an endurance sport background or, in the case of some Europeans, Winter Olympians.

What you're doing here is overrating the fitness requirements for special forces service, and underrating the demands that a professional sporting career has on the body. If you're playing a contact sport, or something with a high level of stress such as skiing or cycling, then the length of the career can be reduced even further. American football or rugby and you're lucky to get ten years. Professional sportsmen are seriously fit, and have a lot more invested in them than soldiers regardless of their calibre. The standard of diet, medical observation, recovery and fitness is higher in professional sport than it is in professional soldiering.

>where 40yo dudes are considered to be in prime and are also expected to be on top athletic level as well?

40 is too old. I was invited to lead an instructor's patrol at the ILRRP school Weingarten when I was getting on for that age and although I really pushed them, I was way out of it the next day whereas they were mostly fine. I had been a civilian for a time but I had kept my fitness as high as possible, my age had simply got the better of me.

I'm fairly sure that any healthy male with enough time and drive could get to the fitness standard required for any military unit in the world, but they'd be out of ideas with professional sport. The gap is that big.
>>
>>34096934

29 in Snake Eater, 39 in Peace Walker and 49 in MGS5.
>>
>>34096920
The only reasonable comment in here.
>>
>>34096942
Very, I only kept up with it for around a month before I got pulled off because I had "anger issues", which pretty much meant I tried to use anger as a motivater and would push myself to the point of injury.
>>34096990
To be of utmost frankness with you, I only got recommended for selection because I got a head of platoon award after basic (I just kept my mouth shut) and had already been infantry for 2 years. I'm in no way SAS material, I just wanted to shoot guns and let the years pass by.
>>
>>34096935
>Most SOF guys online very often say

No. Most people who don't know what they're talking about online say. Have you ever met anyone in SF or SOF. They're in good shape usually but nothing out of reach for an average person.

Just look at the fucking /MEG/ threads here. 90% of the people giving answers never served and have no clue, they're just repeating memes they heard from other Never Beens. These are the same proportion of people you're relying on for answers anywhere else that isn't a heavily moderated site run by current/retired SF and SOF.
>>
>>34097601
You can be a physical freak, with an Olympian tier body and train for years and years to be the best and still get killed in one second by some 12 year old spraying and praying with his AK.
>>
>>34096800
because any soldier who does active duty until his 40's without being raped by PTSD, is a pretty cool soldier who doesnt afraid of anything.
>>
File: Zero_Dark_Thirty_UN9jsMiUS1.jpg (343KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Zero_Dark_Thirty_UN9jsMiUS1.jpg
343KB, 1280x720px
>>34096800
pullin triggers is not the same as dunking basketballs.
>>
>>34100462
SOF is not in their prime in their 40s

/k/ is full of retarded wannabes
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.