[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The biggest problem with today's military is that its officers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: pentagon.jpg (234KB, 1400x773px) Image search: [Google]
pentagon.jpg
234KB, 1400x773px
The biggest problem with today's military is that its officers and NCOs are careerists who know and care more about office politics than about actual fighting.
>>
And The Pentagon Wars is 100% historically accurate.
>>
>>34095275
>25% retention
>Worried about careers
Hmmmmm
>>
>>34095313
All the good men leave and become civilians. The careerists stay in until they become top brass. Scum floats to the top.
>>
The problem is the money is spent on things the generals don't want, like more tanks, and on wars for israel/Saudi Arabia. When the m9ney should be spent on quality of life stateside for the rank and file. So we can more easily retain the best people and jettison everyone else.

Military retains a lot of shitheads and loses a lot of good people to civilian employment.
>>
>>34095275
Is that a beach house in the center?
>>
>>34095377
It's a Taco Bell
>>
>>34095275
>more flag officers now than in WW2
>>
>>34095330
>lets use everyones tax dollarydoos to make the officers more comfy
>>
>>34095275
the military is a political tool, chump
>>
>>34095275
That's because only the ones that play nicely with the politicians get the highest promotions, and thus shape the internal policies.
>>
>>34095326
/thread
>>
It doesn't help that the military takes literally anybody into its ranks, so you have the dumbest, scummiest, shittiest people in there.
>>
>>34098089
The point here being that actually smart talented individuals get weighed down by the morons. I didn't mean the entire military was stupid.
>>
>>34095287
It isn't?

The M2 Bradley was always a piece of absolute shit, and still is. I'm surprised the film isn't accurate.

Obviously some scenes are for comedic effect, but I imagine the basic structure is truthful.
>>
>>34098089
>>34098096
Don't you have to have a high school diploma or something to join?
>>
>>34095275
>are careerists who know and care more about office politics than about actual fighting
man's gotta eat, Julian...
>>
>>34095275
>The biggest problem with today's military is that its officers and NCOs are careerists who know and care more about office politics than about actual fighting.

This is the most retarded thing that people who think they are smart like to think is a conclusion they spontaneously came to.

There is no point in history where "office politics" did not play a prominent role in the function of a military.
>>
>>34095275
I think the reason they dont really into fighting is because were not at war.

>inb4 war on terror
thats hardly a real war
>>
>>34098257
>The M2 Bradley was always a piece of absolute shit, and still is.
Sure, so what coule be better than the latest Bradley variant ?
>>
>>34095275
it's the same shit in every military in every place in every era. i hate it when people trash the era they live in and put others on a pedestal as if people weren't the same shit since forever
>>
>>34095287
worked DODIG, movie is close enough, book moreso
>>34095551
lots of food options besides taco bell
>>
I thought military guys liked NCO's because they started out as grunts.
>>
>>34100663
grunt means infantry, not privates, you fucking tard
>>
>>34095275
What is the building in the middle?
>>
>>34100790
a fast food restaurant. it's how we found out trump was going to bomb syria before he did it, they stayed open 24 hours.
>>
File: F-35 1.5 Trillion.gif (275KB, 416x551px) Image search: [Google]
F-35 1.5 Trillion.gif
275KB, 416x551px
>>34097501
What he means is that you could retain a better quality of enlisted personnel if the career options were more attractive. As OP said, the Officers and NCO's are careerists and usually mid card tier at best because Enlisted who actually enjoys soldiering finishes his contract and goes to work for a PMC which has WAY better pay and any Officer who isn't from a military family and is educated gets a comfy well payed job at home especially after service as they become disillusioned with serving and often hate it. Further more because of shit pay and benefits for the most part mildly educated civilians don't join (not always but most who are leave much like good officers), getting a decent paying job instead, so you now have an army comprised of careerist Officers who have gained their position partially to nepotism (not very prominent but everyone knows this shit still happens today), Mid card NCO's who are only here because they aren't good enough to be PMC's/ don't have the right contacts or aren't cut out for the civilian job market, and Enlisted personnel who (not always) are fucking idiots because through no fault of their own they haven't succeeded in education and thus their only job prospects are in the military and who can't leave because then they will literally become homeless vets being incapable of getting a job or a house due to shit benefits and pensions. And to top it all off the US decides to spend their budget on random bullshit that is unnecessary rather than create a system that provides lucrative career prospects for people and decent benefits to attract bright young intelligent individuals to serve and reward them for their service.
Happens in every western military man, I really wanted to join infantry (I'm a bong at Uni) but the pay schemes and pension plans are dog shit, and I imagine in the US its waaaaaay worse.
>>
>>34099870
Literally any other IFV.

The bradley is shit in every aspect. Stop trying to defend your 50 year old shit bucket
>>
>>34100790
kame house
>>
>>34095275
You really should refrain from lumping officers and NCOs together
>>
>>34095377
funny story, when they built the Pentagon, some family refused to move, so they built it around their house. The last of the family died in the 80s and the house still stands there.
>>
>>34095275
OP is not only a faggot but also never served.
>>
>>34095275

This isn't necessarily a bad thing. If shit hits the fan and war happens the majority of it will be done in the air or at sea with planes and ships. Given this context, the military gets more bang by investing in bigger and deadlier crew serviced weaponry then they get investing in ground troops. Because, before any boots touch the ground, infantry will be backed by total air and naval superiority. This allows infantry to be undertrained and underequipped without affecting the overall combat effectiveness too much (as they're the people who walk in *after* the navy has destroyed everything near the coast and the AF everything inland).

If you think about it for a moment, it is completely sensible and totally works. Ten billion dollars is better spent on a hypersonic stealth bomber that can take off from Peterson AFB hit any target and return on one tank, than it is spent on turning all infantry into rangers.

Of course, this turns the military into an officer-heavy technical corps but if it hurts it works. And, in terms of pure death, the DoD can kill a lot more people with bombers and missiles than it can kill with infantry.
>>
File: Mk12.jpg (17KB, 440x248px) Image search: [Google]
Mk12.jpg
17KB, 440x248px
>>34101659

Or to put it in more bureaucratic terms: a single pilot has the ability to kill hundreds of millions during a single mission without even actually seeing it whereas an infantryman would be lucky to get 1000 in during his entire career, and even if that point was reached the visceral reality of personally killing so many people would likely result in psychiatric problems the government will have to deal with post-discharge.

The economics of an officer-heavy operation are fairly obvious, even if it goes against what people expect the military to traditionally be. But the "traditional" military will be rebuilt anyway via a draft if shit hits the fan anyway.
>>
>>34101193
How about we don't pay E6 and above dog shit? I would gladly stay enlisted if it was more comparable to 0-3 pay but the difference between officer and enlisted is insane.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.