[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you need a FFL to legally build your own suppressor? To make

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

File: tmp_13901-tx4cut1070131744.jpg (7KB, 411x171px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_13901-tx4cut1070131744.jpg
7KB, 411x171px
Do you need a FFL to legally build your own suppressor? To make it legal, do you party assemble it, get the tax stamp, then put it on the gun? Or get the tax stamp first and then build it?
>>
Is that pic from an INSAS or Galil/Valmet or something like that?
>>
>>34094909
Fair question sense you're getting a number for something that doesn't exist yet. I don't know the answer so someone can correct what I'm about to say.
Get the stamp.
Build the thing.
Engrave it immediately.
>>
>>34094909
yes

it's a federally controlled thing, therefore it needs to be federally controlled before you can legally own it

it's the same as building explosives or a gun to the ATF - money that they arent getting
>>
>Do you need a FFL to legally build your own suppressor?
no
> To make it legal, do you party assemble it,
no
>Or get the tax stamp first and then build it?
yes.

submit a form 1 (same for 'manufacturing' a SBR or SBS), wait for it to come back and then make the can. As for serial, you get to make it up and go nuts, I had to make one up for a SBS I made since the shotgun didnt already have a serial and I'm a little supersized they approved it.
>>
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/07/09/build-silencer-part-1/
https://www.atf.gov/file/11281/download
>>
>>34094946
>or a gun
but that's wrong you retard. I can make a gun out of a 80% lower and the ATF can suck a dick, I don't need to put a serial on it or ask their permission
>>
>>34094963
>I'm a little supersized they approved it.
Tell us more
>>
File: IMG_9366.jpg (11KB, 317x159px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9366.jpg
11KB, 317x159px
You should build some short suppressors so I can run them on my guns without adding like 8-10" of extra shit on the end of the barrel. I love shooting my suppressed AR and G19 but I don't like the fact that it turns a compact gun into a bigass super long gun. It's the reason why I haven't got any new SBRs, because if I want to put a suppressor on it, my 10" AR SBR is now bigger than my 16" AR carbine/rifle.
>>
File: txmgo.png (266KB, 483x799px) Image search: [Google]
txmgo.png
266KB, 483x799px
>>34094909
You can create your own serial number. Texas Machine Gun & Ordnance does.
>>
>>34094968
we're not talking about "Can" we're talking about "it's legal to-"

you "Can" suck my dick but "should" you? ofcourse, it's legal
>>
>>34094970
It was a joke about hillary and thats about all i'm going to say. But if you have the opportunity, go nuts and see what happens.
>>
>>34094909
Im not sure, but i think you get the stamp first and then build it. I dont think you are required to engrave anything on it, like if you build a gun. Though people do engrave stuff like 0001 on it or whatever.

That just made me think though, if I ever do this I want to make my serial number some leetspeak lol
>>
>>34094927
it's Valmet RK62
>>
File: Capture.jpg (60KB, 777x377px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
60KB, 777x377px
>>34095127
Yes, you need a serial. Read instruction 2i on form 1. No rules on what you pick for the serial but you do need one.
>>
File: IMG_9367.jpg (194KB, 2750x950px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9367.jpg
194KB, 2750x950px
>>34095153
no, it's a Type 93 Chinese assault rifle.
>>
>>34094909

Form 1, stamp the can, make the guts, assemble.

In that order.
>>
>>34094909
anyone can, just need to pay the goberment a tax on a form 1
>>
>>34094963
>wait for it to come back and then make the can

So you need to wait to get the form 1 back before you can even start? What happens if you build one after getting the form 1 and it sucks so you try a different design? Does that mean you need to submit another form 1 in order to build a new suppressor, or if you submit a single form 1, will that mean you can manufacture a single suppressor whenever you want?

Also, can you register a solvent trap adapter thing as a suppressor yourself or are you not allowed to do that because you didn't machine the adapter? IE, you submit a form 1 to make a silencer, and then once you get it back you screw the solvent adapter on the gun and then an oil filter to the adapter. If you replace the oil filter in this scenario, is that building a new suppressor (and thus means you need to submit another form 1) or is it nothing because the adapter itself is the suppressor?
>>
>>34095981
>So you need to wait to get the form 1 back before you can even start?
you can have the parts, just dont assemble it. you'll need the OAL and caliber for the stamp so you do need to have some idea about the build before you start.

>What happens if you build one after getting the form 1 and it sucks so you try a different design?

throw it away and start over, just keep the same OAL you submitted.

>, or if you submit a single form 1, will that mean you can manufacture a single suppressor whenever you want?
one form = one stamp. you want to have 2 suppressors? you need two stamps. That said there is nothing against testing out different designs, particularly baffles (hint hint)

>Also, can you register a solvent trap adapter thing as a suppressor yourself
sure, you're still technically making it. you only really run into those problems when people try and sell it.

>or is it nothing because the adapter itself is the suppressor?
as long as you put the serial number on the adapter.
>>
>>34094909
Its called a form 1. No you do not need to be an ffl to make a supressor
>>
>>34094909
dude just put an oil filter on the end of your gun.
>>
>>34094995
Would a suppressor in the range of this size even reduce decibels well enough to be considered an improvement?

Maybe make a chode suppressor to make up for it's lack of length?
>>
>>34098071
this
>>34094909
Its legal until you get caught
>>
>>34095016
>joke about hillary
watch out for rouge weights at the gym.
>>
>>34099300
not nearly as good as a full sized can, but something is better than nothing.
>>
What makes a supressor a supressor instead of a muzzle break?
>>
>>34099929
>suppressor
reduction in noise. a 'normal' break wont reduce the report of the firearm. at the same time every suppressor also acts as a flash hider and most as a compensator.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.