[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

www.floridafirearmstraining.com Are defensive/ tactical fir

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 10

File: sydney.jpg (514KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
sydney.jpg
514KB, 1000x667px
www.floridafirearmstraining.com

Are defensive/ tactical firearm courses like these worth it or are they just a meme. They seem useful but 400 dollars for a carbine immersion class with no ammo included is steep for broke as college students like myself.
>>
>>34088979
>400 dollars
Jesus christ just practice yourself. If you're in the 'i should do a shooting course' part of developing your skills dont. Just go to the range and actually practice with what you've got and become more proficient with them.

Most classes are fucking bullshit and actually teach you bad habits.

The TL;DR of it is just go and shoot more often. Practice more and shit.
>>
>>34088979
If you don't carry a rifle for your job a carbine class is basically larping. If you got the cash, time and interest there's nothing wrong with doing it for a luagh but a broke ass college student would be better served by buying $400 worth of ammo for his CCW and getting as much trigger time as possible.
>>
>>34088979
steroid much?
all guns
no cock
>>
>>34088988
That's what I've been doing but my range is kind of shitty and I don't have my own guns
>>
I thought the classes were usually 200 bones. I checked like a couple weeks ago. Fellow floridian here. I believe the rifle immersion class is 2 or 3 other classes in one spread over a few days
>>
>>34088979
Here's what the average person who CCWs should be able to do in and efficient an expeditious manner:

1) draw from concealement
2) make first round hits
3) make accurate follow up shots
4) engage multiple targets
5) reload

All of that shit you can practice without going to a class. You can practice 1 and 5 as well as your trigger control through dry fire without leaving the fucking house.
>>
>>34088998
If you dont have your own gun then
>Get one
Seriously. A Maverick 88 is $200 brand new. If you feel like taking the risk buy used.
>>
>>34088998
>doesn't own a gun
>asking about $400 class

go buy a gun or KYS...or both...
>>
>>34089015
It's 200 for just the ar15 platform classes every other course is more expensive
>>
>>34089027
I didn't say I was doing the class I just asked if anyone actually did them. It's just for the future
>>
>>34088998
Well it's one thing if you want the experience but realize that if you're not familiar with the rifles used in the course you might as well not do the course... Practicing to do something you'll never do again is kind of dumb..

My suggestion is to maybe find some land or a friends place where you can take that 400 dollars and move some group for backstop and make some good targets and scenarios you'd like to practice what you've got on. Look up some of the 3gun or shooting competition scenarios, they're usually fun and meant to be done on the clock.

Obviously a bit more complicated than pic related but you get the gist.
>>
>>34089024
Is the maverick 88 worth getting now or should I save up a bit more and get a Mossberg 500 I've shot Mossberg never maverick I've heard they shoot pretty much the same
>>
>>34089042
All that shit is for after he's been shooting regularly for a few years. Fag doesn't have a gun. It's gonna be basics for a many thousands of rounds.

I was never really aware of how lucky I was to be raised shooting from the age of 5 by a based dad who into reloading, CCW and cowboy guns. It must suck to decide to into guns in your 20s and have to start from zero by yourself.
>>
File: 1488607578053.gif (989KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
1488607578053.gif
989KB, 500x282px
>>34089035
Oh well yes many people do them, usually when you go to the class there is a safety briefing during which every LEO or former military member will reveal their powerlevel; essentially saying things like 'hur safety, we dont need that; this class is for professionals xD' shit.
After that there is a bit of a once over with the common rifle of the day and then an in depth discussion for an hour of how aiming for center mass guarantees a hit against a hostile target whereas a leg or head shot is for sure going to miss..

Honestly most classes are just teaching you to do shit you could learn by yourself or by watching a few youtube videos. Most of those classes are just magdumping on things.

Honestly most of the people who go to courses and tryhard fags that can't admit they don't know what they're doing and suck up as much info off someone who also doesn't know what they're doing. as they can.

Almost every course I've done on the east coast has had multiple basic rule violations by LEOs and people talking about 'muh stoppin power' while mag dumping on a target 10ft away.

TL:DR it's gay. Become familiar with what you've got.
>>
>>34089045

If you just need a shotgun, get a Maverick. Reliability and durability is only a tiny bit worse than Mossberg (just some more plastic parts that are very durable anyways).

Mossberg 500's are much more easier to customize and aftermarket parts are everywhere.
>>
>>34089042
Always wanted to do this, I'm pretty familiar with the guns uses in the course as I've shot them at the range but I don't come from a gun family so I've pretty much taught myself through practice and YouTube. How do you find land that isn't privately owned or allows shooting most of the exploring I used to do in backcountry areas with my buddies involved climbing fences and trespassing on farmland we never seem to find secluded areas to shoot in
>>
>>34089045
Do you plan to CCW? If so get a handgun. If not get a rifle. A shotgun isn't something that is much fun to shoot a lot as a range toy. Since you're admitted noguns get a .22lr rifle or pistol and a shit load of ammo and go have fun building your skills instead of sitting in your room admiring your shotgun you rarely shoot.
>>
>>34089066
Yeah it sucks honestly I'm just getting into them at 18 because my family was liberal and never very into them
OP here btw
>>
>>34089066
Ohhhh... shit. Same anon I started shooting at a pretty young age and got into archery and paintball and have full circled back to guns.

Like that anon said it will be thousands and thousands of rounds down range before you're ready for any kind of tactical course.
>>
>>34089023

I agree, but in FL we are lacking in places you can do that. Unless you have your own land most ranges wont allow for drawing from concealment or shooting at multiple targets. Its difficult to go innawoods here and shoot because most of the land is protected and recreational shooting isn't allowed.
>>
>>34089085
I can't own guns while I live on campus in thinking of renting a storage or something
>>
>>34089077
>im familiar with the guns they use because i've shot them in extremely controlled conditions
>'no i didnt know they usually fabricate malfunctions and it's a lot of running and lateral movement'
>oh and when I have shot it's been illegally on someone elses land so usually only 20 rounds

It's going to be thousands and thousands of rounds before you're ready for any of these carbine courses OP.
>>
>>34089105
Exactly most of the innawoods areas here in fl are owned and despite venturing into them frequently I wouldn't risk shooting on them
>>
>>34089111
Yeah I suppose you're right I'll just keep at it then until I'm ready
>>
>>34089106
Or you could just wait until you're out of school instead of investing in it. You are poor as fuck, still going to college, and living on campus. Just wait anon. Take the course if you want but I don't think they will supply you with a firearm.

Could you not simply sit in on a course? if they say no just mention you're taking notes for a pro-2a paper you're writing. That usually wins people over.
>>
>>34089081
Skeet and small game.
Most fun I've had with any firearm.

Just don't buy into the tactical shotgun stuff. It's just not practical.

I've killed more wildlife by pound with my 130 dollar maverick 88 than I have with my 2000 rifle.
>>
>>34089120
That's actually a pretty good idea
>>
File: ptTNX7X (1).gif (2MB, 381x162px) Image search: [Google]
ptTNX7X (1).gif
2MB, 381x162px
>>34089118
Sorry, I know that came off kind of dickish but sometimes you have to be stern. Wait until you're done with school when you've got a bit more money to enjoy your hobbies. You can still maybe sit in on a few courses just to experience the bark of 10-15 rifles all magdumping at the same time. It'll make your dick vibrate. It's great.
>>
>>34089105
Practice your draw and reloads at home. Practice your shooting at the range. Use targets that multiple bullseyes you can practice alternating between them. Maybe not as good as practicing on targets a few meters apart but it will train your ability to shift focus, realign sights and shoot.

Where there's a will there's a way. You will get way more reps and a large chunk of your skills from dry fire practice in your living room anon. A few minutes a day while you watch a show or listen to a podcast translates to thousands of reps a year. you'll be skinning that smokewagon like greased lightning in no time.
>>
>>34089131
I have the money for a gun it's just I have no where to put it and not a huge selection of innawoods areas to shoot because fuck Florida.
>>
>>34089143
Do you have your own room anon? I had a gun in my room in college and no one ever knew shit about it.
>>
>>34089134
I'm doing digital forensics and criminal justice with a plan on enlisting in the military before going into a LE or security career shooting is gonna be part of the job anyways. And It didn't come off as dickish I understand where your coming from and I've dealt with a lot of coaches and mentors who are stern and I'm used to it I just suck it up and learn from those who are better
>>
>>34089156
Please do not risk your education and probably a felony just to own your first gun on campus.
>>
>>34089156
I'm enrolled for freshman year this fall i think I could hide one maybe but my friends who have gone to the university have had their booze and drugs found so idk if I can hide a gun lol. There's a cleaning person for the dorms
>>
>>34089165
This
>>
>>34089162
I hear you op. Honestly the way you're talking you are going to be getting this training in the near future anyway. As previously stated maybe just watch a course to understand a bit of how they run first hand. Not every course operates the same, most instructors, if you can call them that' are retired military of some sort that has little to no experience in actual gun fighting. So just take everything with a grain of salt.
>>
>>34089172
The repercussions of finding a firearm on a college campus are going to be extremely unforgiving, especially in this day and age. see >>34089165
>>
>>34089185
That leads me to my next question if you can learn from just watching how good is YouTube as a learning resource
>>
>>34089165
Lawls cuck detected.

If he's too stupid to have a gun without anyone knowing about it he's gonna fail some other way in life. I carried a gun every day through 4 years of college and no one ever knew. Not my room mate not my GF nobody. I've carried damn near every day for 21 years. If there are no metal detectors or pat-downs I have a gun on me. There's not a law or a sign that can stop me. It takes a physical barrier to my ability to protect myself.

It takes chains of steel to control a free man. A slave can be controlled with a word.

>>34089172
Yeah if they got a built-in snoop in your rooms you'd have to have it on your person at all times...challenging to say the least. I was lucky no one ever came in my room but this was in the 1990s....
>>
>>34089191
I think I might be able to live off campus with a few friends after the first year
>>
>>34089200
Bonus. Suck it up for a year and then get yourself a gat after you move.
>>
File: M4-Police-Chest-Rig-600x400.jpg (55KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
M4-Police-Chest-Rig-600x400.jpg
55KB, 600x400px
>>34089193
hmmmm in terms of hollywood bullshit? great.
In terms of actual rifle manipulation and learning operation and clearing and the whole manual of arms? Pretty okay.
The actual ability to shoot, manual of arms, understand the action of clearing a problem and working with terrain and a firearm you've only touched once? Terrible.

You can learn some things but most of it is going to need to be hands on.
>>
>>34089197
I like you.
>>
>>34089172
If they let you have a car on campus
>Put it in that
Else if you have a closet
>Get pistol safe
>Put it in top of closet
>>
File: IMG_6180.jpg (27KB, 374x378px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6180.jpg
27KB, 374x378px
Figure this is a good thread to ask, but what are some good websites for learning how to shoot?

My pistol groupings are fucking terrible and no matter how much I dry fire I can't seem to bring them in. I've had some pistol shooting inetruction before, but I could use some online instruction to try and fix my issues.

Also do you guys have any websites that have good rifle drills? My rifle shooting is great and I feel like I could stand to improve it with more scenarios. Last weekend I was doing controlled pairs between two at 25m and 15m targets with a mag change in between.
>>
>>34089446
Go to the local hobby store. Buy a wooden rod that will fit fairly snuggly into your barrel.
Spend the next few hours pulling the trigger and the dowel will show you exactly what's happening to your bore axis as you squeeze the trigger.
As an extension of the barrel the rod will show you exactly whats happening.
>>
>>34089446
All you have to be able to do is pull the trigger without moving the gun. I don't know what you're focus is on during your dry fire practice, but it should be on that.
>>
>>34088997
Steroids don't shrink your dick, newfag
>>
>>34088979

They're fucking memes.

Why on earth would even the DEVGRUiest delta SEAL have anything useful to teach to a civilian for defensive carry?
>>
File: 1490255203525.gif (971KB, 480x204px) Image search: [Google]
1490255203525.gif
971KB, 480x204px
Don't do it, OP.

I won two passes to a class like this via a contest at work. I took my wife, some funs and we drove from Texas to Arizona.

The class was worth $1200 for two weeks. They provided room and two meals a day. Mostly it was some sort of BBQ which was nice.

The actual class was mostly BS. Clearing rooms (which you can practice at home). Working on stance (practice in a mirror). Snap shooting (practice on the range). SHTF Theories. Urban combat. Etc.

Most of the people in my class were suburban men with their suburban wives.

At one point we did play a game called "Hostage Knockout". Two people would square up on separate targets. Each would have three chances to hit a target behind a steel "hostage" plate. If you hit the hostage, you were automatically out. If you hit the target but did so slower, you were out. It got pretty nerve racking and before I knew it, it was me and one other guy who was a deputy. We both nicked the hostage on our first turn at the same time due to shaking/stress/eagerness to win.

So on the last time, I held a little to the left and nailed it. My prize was a cool challenge coin for marksmanship.

>mfw I won
Winning the game and shooting a full giggle Thompson and an Uzi for $50 (overpriced, I know) each were the most fun part of it.
If it's free, absolutely. Otherwise?

Practice at home.
>>
File: 1490254366909.png (14KB, 770x472px) Image search: [Google]
1490254366909.png
14KB, 770x472px
>>34089876

Btw I won out of 70 other people in the class. Granted, they weren't pro shooters. But I was still proud of myself.

Also, there was a couple SWAT teams training out there along with 4 other classes of 40-70 people for different things. I think ours was the only big one.
>>
>>34089777
yeah they do. They don't if you properly cycle with other drugs but the majority of people don't cycle correctly.
>>
>>34088979
The best way I've found to get useful training for relative pennies is to join a sportsman's club, attend clinics, and shoot in competitions. Personally, I like Service Rifle a lot, even though it's not very TACTICAL or DYNAMIC.

There's also USPSA and IDPA at my club, and the guys who teach it are usually off duty/retired cops. Maybe there's some secret ninja technique a celebrity instructor knows that these guy don't, but I don't feel like laying down the cash to find out.

>>34089876
>>34089887
>70 person class

Jesus fuck. Was this that Tactical Response or whatever Buck Angel's thing is called? He runs conga lines of dentists through shoot houses, it's pretty funny.
>>
>>34089902
They shrink the balls so the dick looks bigger right babe?
>>
>>34089805
What about in a SHTF scenario wouldn't the training be pretty good then
>>
>>34089491
I'll give this a try.

>>34089561
Yeah, I'm doing that. I'll aim at a point on the wall and and got it down to where the sight posts wouldn't move at all. My groupings were still pretty terrible with me shooting low and to the left.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.