[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dear /k/, I'm planning today to go to my local gun shop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

File: G17.jpg (100KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
G17.jpg
100KB, 1000x1000px
Dear /k/,

I'm planning today to go to my local gun shop to purchase a handgun. Unfortunately, I live in a terrible place to own/shoot, so haven't had any real chance to get out and try out some handguns. I have shot them in the past, but many years ago. I have the opportunity to bring my guns to shoot at a friends cabin about an hour away, which is where I plan to get acquainted with this new one. Unfortunately, I can't purchase it, test it out, and return it (I believe).

After doing some research, I've realized I have the following parameters:
~$450-550
9mm (good balance of "stopping power", recoil, availability)
primary use will be concealed carry for protection and familiarizing myself with handguns

Currently, it seems like the Glock 17 is a good bet.

Given my situation, there's a good possibility I'll have to purchase a gun prior to shooting it, or testing any handguns, for that matter.

Therefore, I am wondering if you all might have any advice or suggestions? Alternatives to the Glock 17? Things you would really pay attention to if you had to purchase a gun prior to shooting (stupid, I know, but I've been waiting forever to purchase a gun and the time simply isn't going to get better.)

Thanks in advance, /k/.
>>
>>34088587

Glock is a solid choice, sight unseen for someone who has no clue what they are after.

Also consider HK VP9 and maybe S&W M&P.

Whatever feels good in your hand since you don't have much to go on.
>>
>>34088587
I would go with a 19, but still a solid choice
>>
>>34088587

If you want to conceal it, a Glock 19 would be a better bet than a 17.
>>
Make sure you know if you want a Gen 3 or Gen 4. And since it's your first time buying a gun and it will most likely be a Glock, do not and I repeat, do not get sucked into throwing money on stupid upgrades on it. Get some high contrast sights, an assload of ammo learn how to shoot it.

Since you do plan on conceal carrying, the 19 would be the more versatile option as it is just as shootable as the 17 so you can learn on it but a tad smaller in grip length so it helps with concealing.
>>34088618
>Whatever feels good in your hand since you don't have much to go on.

This is a fallacy. How do you expect a new shooter to know what is good for their hands when they presumably do not know how to properly hold a gun? If new gun owners take this advice too far, they will end up with something like a SCCY because "it feels good in their hand".
>>
>>34088587
You really can't go wrong with basically any striker fired 9mm on the market from a major manufacturer. I don't want to discourage you from a Glock 17, since it's a great gun, but a full sized pistol will be harder to conceal than a compact. Some guns to try out and consider:

Glock 19
Sig P320 Compact
FNS9c
FN 590
HK VP9
S&W M&P9 compact
Ruger LC9s

Have fun shopping around OP, you seem to have a good head on your shoulders, better than most first time buyers.
>>
>>34088587
Step 1) Stick Glock on end of drill
Step 2) Stick Glock up your ass
Step 3) do what any /b/tard would do at this point
>>
Thanks a lot, guys. About to head over. Will size up the 19 and 17. The 19 does seem to get a lot of love for it's size and, like some posters have noted, it seems that the difference in shooting experience isn't very different.

I'll check out the high contrast sites. I'm a pretty simple-type aesethetic kinda guy so I wasn't planning on going hog wild on accessories anyhow, but a nice site seems worth the investment.

Thanks again. Keep on keepin' on.
>>
>>34088587
better change the trigger, sights, barrel, and a few other things if you want that to become even half way decent
>>
>>34088677
don't fucking try to talk to me at the range holding a glock piece of shit
worthless fanboy
>>
My parameters for a first pistol were very similar to yours, and I picked up a fresh Glock 17 Gen4. It's a really good little gun. Recoil is minimal, the gun feels great if your fingers fit the grooves, you don't have to worry about manually activating or deactivating safety while getting used to pistol shooting, and it being full length means you won't have problems acquiring targets. Plus, full length pistols are really fun.

If you're going to conceal though, a Glock 19 is the better choice.

>do not and I repeat, do not get sucked into throwing money on stupid upgrades on it.

This. Ignore the shitposting on here; Glocks are great out of the box as long as your fingers fit the finger grooves. The only thing I'm considering on my 17 is swapping the sights to the factory night sights, but otherwise I see no need to upgrade. I invested into 1,000 9x19mm rounds ammo and am using it to git good instead of trying to make my Glock operator by buying a ton of accessories that are useless with my current skill level.
>>
>>34088677
>I'll check out the high contrast sites
already got the notion of modding it before purchase? BAKA
>>
>>34088692
Thinking that I might want/need to shoot in poor lighintg and realizing the gun as purchased isn't well equipped to do this is foolish? Must suck to be an idiot.
>>
>>34088699
>want/need to shoot in poor lighintg
this dumb mother fucker thinks he's getting batman level night vision or some shit
it.doesn't.work.that.way.you.tard
>>
>>34088699
>realizing the gun as purchased isn't well equipped
buys it anyway
whew lad, glocktards
>>
>>34088587
I'll never buy another Glock product after I had experience with the 19 model. At first it was great and then about 1-2k rounds into my owning the gun was when issues first arose. It had the most horrible ejection pattern and would sometimes poop the rounds out right onto your hand as you were firing. Eventually it stopped ejecting reliably and after multiple sprig changes nothing worked. I sold the piece of shit and got an HK USPc. I'd try looking for some used HKs, they will last forever. The Turks also have a ton of good options for like 300 or so, and that would leave you room to get a ton of ammo to practice. A $300 gun with tons of practice will be better than a $600 with little practice. Also if you're going to CCW this the 17 is going to be huge, the 19 is also big for ccw. Something like a shield or p2000sk is perfect for ccw so you could get a shield for ccw and a shotgun for HD. Also invest in a good flashlight and ear muffs.
>>
>>34088699
Check out Ameriglo and Trijicon HD night sights, both will do you well. You'll either have to get a sight pusher or get a gunsmith to install them for you though.
>>
>>34088722
>I'll never buy another Glock product after I had experience with the 19 model.
Nah, I think you found out how many manufacturing processes use suidae derived lubrication products, whereas the turks are crazy ass Ghengis Khan worshippers.
>>
>>34088707
>what are home invasions / driving at night / camping?

>>34088716
>I only buy things as they are provided to me by my corporate overlords and cannot be reckoned to think for myself or make any changes that might improve the tool for me as an individual.

I hope I am being trolled.

>>34088722
Duly noted. Yeah, I think the 17 isn't really on the table any longer. Will check out their used options as well. Thanks for the 2 cents.
>>
>>34088738

If you like the 19, grab a full-sized pistol sometime down the line. I find they're a lot more fun than subcompact or even compact pistols.
>>
>>34088738
you agreed to the muslim post
LOL LOL LOL
>>
>>34088738
>my corporate overlords
stupid liberal
>might improve
aftermarket glocktard fanboy
>>
>>34088738
Don't just look at what's recommended. Go to a gun store and feel what feels best, if it's a ccw I highly recommend you look at subcompact guns. Most compacts aren't really compact. Be careful with full steel guns because they can get heavy and hurt your back. Before you make a purchase make sure you are aware of any recalls the company may have had on the product. Don't forget to leave room for ammo, holster , and a belt. Again get what feels good in your hand and consider some of the things I've said as far as size goes.
>>
>>34088760

He doesn't have a chance to feel and test fire pistols you dumb fag. You were too triggered by the Glock image he posted that you didn't bother to read his post.

Get your dick out of your USP's barrel and learn to read the OP before responding.
>>
>>34088777
He said it was a good possibility and he isn't sure himself. Funny "learn to read" is coming from the retard that didn't even properly read OPs post. You must have gotten triggered by reading my trip and had a momentary lapse in reason :).
>>
>>34088777
>triggered
if he cant pick up and hold the gun he is buying them he shouldnt buy it
>>
>>34088587
Gen 2 40's grenade
Gen 4 10's grenade
Why does anybody trust this "perfect" engineering at all?
>>
>>34088777
>doesn't have a chance
walks blindly into the glocktard fanboy world
you're damned right he doesn't have a chance
>>
>>34088777
if he is going to a gun store why doesnt he have the chance to hold one?
>>
>>34088587
M&P 45 shield, you're welcome.
>>
File: FullSizeRender.jpg (1MB, 2389x2908px) Image search: [Google]
FullSizeRender.jpg
1MB, 2389x2908px
>>34088587
You probably want to look at the Glock 19 if you want to carry. It's smaller and you only sacrifice 2 rounds.

>Given my situation, there's a good possibility I'll have to purchase a gun prior to shooting it, or testing any handguns, for that matter.

most gun stores will let you hold and dry fire the guns prior to buying them. They'll usually take your ID and just ask that you don't point them at anybody, but you want to test how comfortable the trigger is, how nice the grips fit your hand and how easy the sights come up.

Like >>34088658 said you can pretty much go with any striker fired 9mm listed here (avoid Remington like the plague though, trust me on this)

I did the whole "buy a glock 19 and forget about it" thing and i kind of wish I didn't. It's not very comfortable. After putting some rubber grips, better sights on it and the NY1 trigger spring into it I like it a lot more and can shoot it pretty well. Glocks are fine hanguns, but they are far from "perfect", they just get the basics right: ease of use, reliability, and simplicity while sacrificing ergonomics, good sights and a good trigger in the process, but the fact that they get the basics right are why people like them and why pretty much every police forces uses them these days.

The most important thing about CCing is choosing a good holster and a good belt. DO NOT buy a beat up leather holster from the bargain bin. If you are new to CC you need a kydex holster that protects the trigger guard. I bought a blue line concealment holster and am buying a gunbelt soon. Baggy clothing and an undershirt are also a must. Concealed carry is not about any one thing, it's an entire system
>>
>>34089073
>After putting some rubber grips, better sights on it and the NY1 trigger spring into it I like it a lot more
/facepalm
>>
>>34089089
What? I don't want a hair trigger on a combat pistol, and honestly if you do you're a retard
>>
Hi all,

I thank many of you for your good/thoughtful/helpful posts.

As it turns out, I can't easily purchase a Glock 19 in my state, but can do a work around. I will look into that.

I was quite impressed with the SW Shield 9mm. I liked the single stack grip/profile and don't think losing out on 2 rounds is a terrible sacrifice (my state's mag limit is 10 - not my choice.)

I also liked the TP9 by Century, though it was a bit large.

Going to do a bit more homework and see what I come up with. Leaning hard at this point towards the Shield 9mm given it's cost (there is a 75$ rebate at my store this month), size, and lack of availability of the Glock's.

I'm not a frequent /k/ poster, so I didn't realize Glock's are "meme" guns. Sue me.

Thanks again.
>>
File: 20170528_084711.jpg (2MB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
20170528_084711.jpg
2MB, 4032x2268px
>>34089170
Shield owner here. Love the slim profile, how reliable it is, and that I can shoot it as accurately as a full size. Current rebate makes it a really good choice.
>>
>>34088587
Im gonna be different and recommend a cz p10c. They are literally glock 19 upgraded, for cheaper price. They even fit in glock 19 holsters.
>>
>>34089368
Happy to hear it!
>>
>>34089429
Interesting recommendation, gonna check those out.
>>
>>34088587

how strong are your hands ?

glocks are lightweight & snappy recoil

consider ruger sr9 or sr9c or 9e weigh a few ounces more than glocks = less recoil

but otherwise glocks hugely popular
>>
>>34089170
There's a section/image in the sticky wiki on first handgun purchases

You should definitely go to a range that lets you rent and try out some first to see what you like. Try to find one that gives you an all-day pass so that you can try a lot of different options. Put a couple rounds through each and take notes.
>>
>>34090458
Ah wait, I see your situation. Still though, even if its a few hours to your nearest range that lets you do this, you should take a day to do it and go anyways.

Your first gun purchase is important, you want to make sure that what you get is naturally suited to you.
>>
>>34088658
..no cz , dont listen to this guy he doesnt know what hes talking about
>>
>>34089121
>I don't
nice opinion glocktard
and by nice i mean stupid
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.