[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Comparatively to with guns how fun is bow hunting? How expensive

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

Comparatively to with guns how fun is bow hunting? How expensive is it? How much skill does it require? Also are there any guberment restrictions on bows in any states?

New fag here with limited budget so wondering if bow hunting might be more my thing.
>>
>>34088219
It's generally about the same, you can get into it for about the same price as using a gun, It will take a little more time to get decent with a bow than it would with a gun, and as a bonus most states have a significantly longer archery season than rifle season for deer.
>>
>>34088219
Used to compete in recurve archery so it's not completely the same but there's definitely a steeper learning curve than with guns, but getting a kill with a bow sounds so much more satisfying because of that.

I have nothing but respect for bow hunters.
>>
>>34088219
Go to your local archery store and ask a little around there. One thing you'll have to accept is that if you're buying a bow for hunting this year, you won't be hunting with it before next year due to the practice it requires.
>>
>>34088219
Lot of the skill so to speak is in the stalking, having to get within about 20-30m to pull off a killing shot is very difficult.
Over the years I've also had to cull a few feral goats and pigs that where running around with some fucking huge arrow hanging out of their arse and in a fair amount of distress. So my opinion of bow hunters is "not great"
>>
Bow hunting is a bit more difficult in my opinion. You don't have the same range you do with a gun. It's about the same as it comes to fun though depending on how you do it. Gun doesn't get caught up in the thick brush like a bow does though. Just flip flop and alternate like I do. Also tracking animals and hunting with bow is fun. Also fun with a gun but it feels different.
>>
>>34088219
Crossbows aren't always legal to hunt with unless you're a cripple and sometimes legally count as firearms for hunting purposes. Beyond that, archery usually enjoys an earlier season, in some states you can hunt any season with a bow but obviously you will need to wear blade appropriate to the season's regulations.

Generally having a much shorter effective range you need to get closer and disguise your draw as well as possible. Usually you get to wear full camo and go full on LRRP so that's fun. Had some interesting encounters with non-game animals as a result of being so well hidden while I was waiting/resting.
>>
>>34088219
Much tougher than normal hunting, have to be within 15-20 yards to reliably get a good lung or heart shot on a deer. Will take alot of practice and I would recommend having previous hunting experience before hauling off into the woods with bow and arrow.

Can get into it pretty cheap, basic recurve + target arrows/hunting arrows, glove, armband and other accessories will be in the 2-300 range. Can't speak for compound bows.
>>
File: 1495675715813.jpg (63KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1495675715813.jpg
63KB, 600x800px
Bows
-Pro
>hunt exclusively before anyone gun hunter as per season and state
>quieter report that doesn't travel 5 miles and alerts thousands of other deer
>deer are not as jumpy, avoid areas, nor move around at night because of the former 2 points

-Mid
>entry level hunting bow costs as much as a lever action

-Cons
>Hunt exclusively at close range
>deer can scare if wind changes by all mighty Allah's will
>deer can scare if you forgot your diaper and the sound of a fart is unleashed
>deer can scare if you release the string too loudly
>literally any fudd gun with synthetic stock can do the job for about $100 - $200 less.

The last 3 points are matters seriatim as this is up to the hunter. If you know its gun season that means hunters before you have most likely scared the deer to night time eating. Arial photos from google are up to date, the lightly wooded areas generally let small edible fauna while thick tree'd areas provide most game with bedding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pg17-CIXSU

With this info a gun will triumph because you can be any where the deer can.
>>
File: 1495571876925.jpg (183KB, 680x543px) Image search: [Google]
1495571876925.jpg
183KB, 680x543px
>>34088219
How about boar hunting with spears? At least, you're less likely to just wound the critter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNrcebgVhzM
>>
Me personally:

Bare bow : $459.99 +tax

Trophy ridge joker 3 pin sight $49.99+tax installed

Muzzy taq5 5 arrow quick disconnect quiver $49.99+tax

Peep sight gun store brand, served into string $10 service peep free with labor.

Trophy ridge whisker biscuit arrow rest $44.99

Tri-state x caliper II wrist mounted trigger release $39.99+tax

12-pack of Easton arrows $54.99

12-pack of 100 grain 9/32 target tips $4.99

2 3 packs of "rage" brand broad heads $33.99 each

$20 store brand broad head wrench

I'm excl range fees, tag costs, and maintenance.

Strings should be replaced every other season and costs roughly $120 per set

My bow is low end, it's a simple dual cam with split guide cable design

Higher end bows feature complex cam systems like cam and a half, usually are made of carbon fiber and generally feature high end arrow rests.
>>
>>34088219
I've never bow hunted before. I hunt white tail during gun season. However I have several buddies that do bow hunt and say they enjoy a successful bow hunt more than a gun kill. They have tricked out $700 bows but I know they can be found cheaper.
>>
>>34088946
Oh I forgot my staiblizer. Store brand for $50

I don't run a string stop.

My store offers a "budget string" that doesn't feature serving where a string stop would go.

So I just do without. Not a big deal.
>>
i've wanted to do this but im afraid of making a dear suffer, by not making a clean kill
>>
>>34088900
>my feet feel fine
Checked and kek'd
>>
File: bow hunting.webm (3MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
bow hunting.webm
3MB, 720x404px
obligatory
>>
>>34088219
Bow hunting is a blast.
New bows and everything else can get pretty pricey. But used bows can be had for fairly cheap. Just check Craigslist. I don't know about restrictions because I live in a noncommie state. YOU CAN ALSO GO BOWFISHING FOR CARP WHICH IS MUCHO FUN.
>>
>>34088219
>Comparatively to with guns how fun is bow hunting?
it's satisfying in different ways, but it's about comparable to the enjoyment of shooting a gun
>How expensive is it?
similar to guns, I'd expect to pay ~$300-500 for an entry-level bow. ultimately the sky's the limit for how much you'd pay for a grail-tier bow w/accessories
>How much skill does it require?
more than shooting a rifle
>Also are there any guberment restrictions on bows in any states?
not really. federally, they're uncucked to the point where you can buy them online and have them shipped to your door. most restrictions are related to crossbows and hunting
>>
>>34090162
I was afraid of this too so I decided to go hunting with 'boom arrows' as I called them. I basically rigged a 00buck shell to the top of a few arrows. The idea was that when the arrow stuck the target the head of the arrow would hit the primer on the shell and fire the buck. I hit a deer with one once and it didn't work as I thought it would. The whole shell, 'boom arrow' rigging system and part of the actual arrow penetrated the deer. It ran off, staggered on a rock, fell against a tree and the shell went off blowing the deers lungs out the side the arrow didn't go in. That was the first and last time I used those arrows. I sold my bow and waited for gun season to start.
>>
>>34088946
>>34088967
so for a low-tier bow, you're paying roughly the same price as you would for buying a mid-tier AR w/irons or low-tier w/decent optic, a mid-tier shotgun, or a mid-tier raifu. I mean I get that you can't really put a price on the experience of completing a bow hunt, but for a casual archer that is pretty steep
>>
>>34090285
this is typical bow-faggotry: using your bow for shit it's not intended for
>>
File: IMG_1563.jpg (1MB, 1877x1408px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1563.jpg
1MB, 1877x1408px
I shoot a recurve for target practicing and fun.

It's a very fun hobby and it needs a lot of skill, I haven't tried compound bows so far but I'm Interested in buying one.

>pic related, my bow and the place I usually shoot
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.