[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would white phosphorus mortars airburst and rain white phosphorus

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_0816.jpg (49KB, 500x315px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0816.jpg
49KB, 500x315px
Would white phosphorus mortars airburst and rain white phosphorus on the target, or would they hit the ground, and the pellets around like shrapnel.

Alternatively, would airburst white phosphorus be prone to misfires?
>>
Nevermind, but discussion is also encouraged.

Video of white phosphorus:
https://youtu.be/yNzxLlPXLfg
>>
>>34086494
WP would necessarily be denonated in proximity of the ground and rain it's pellets in the area of effect.
proximity fuses don't misfire hardly ever
>>
>>34086536

Would changes in barometrics possibly cause a misfire?
>>
>>34086587
i don't believe so
here is our current 120mm proximity fuze
which is what phosphorous rounds would be fitted for
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M734_fuze

there are also WP bombs that are made to impact and create a smokescreen which can be used as latent explosives in addition too high explosive rounds
>>
>>34086587
so just glancing at that info it seems that the only way it could misfire is just dudding into the ground due to the continuous doppler wave not operating
>>
>>34086641
>>34086671

I was looking at that, I wonder if older white phosphorus rounds (predating proximity fuzes) were often prone to misfires. I dunno, wish I knew more about mortars.
>>
>>34086671
>Reliability against duds is increased by the fact that if the M734 fails to detonate the mortar shell at one setting, it will immediately and automatically use the next one along, i.e. Failure at the PRX setting causes NSB detonation to be selected. Similarly, failure to detonate at the NSB setting would automatically cause IMP to be selected, and so on.
oh, i guess not
>>
File: images (53).jpg (24KB, 495x297px) Image search: [Google]
images (53).jpg
24KB, 495x297px
>>34086494
EODfag
WP mortars are primarily used with PD impact fuzes as the real purpose is to make a rapid screening smoke not as an incendiary.
So you want them to burst/burn at ground level as the smoke is heated and rises to form a screen.
Functioning WP in mifdair by Prox is doable and reliable, but the WP mainly burns out in the air so no decent incendiary effect on the ground and the smoke hangs in midair.

The only WP spread in midair is 155mm M825A1 as its a canister ejection, that has its own S&A mech to spread out the WP-impregnated felt wedges, they last long enough to fall over the ground still burning to make the smoke screen. They do have a slight secondary incendiary effect but only in very flammable targets or dry grass.
It looks spectacular when the IDF fire it over Gaza and it fucks up the pallys trying to fire rockets like a firey rain, but not much actually burns
>>
>>34086737

https://youtu.be/BfcHVBIyJyA

So with this video, for instance, its purpose is to cause a smoke screen, and nothing is intentionally on fire, just the light being caught in the smoke by the illumination round?
>>
>>34086737
mortarfag
i've fired WP in impact to make smoke screens and "shake and bake" also have fired in training to use proximity as the primary form of attack
prx is only a few meters off the ground but is what we would used if we were allowed to use WP to fry people
>>
File: de3.gif (499KB, 1030x1462px) Image search: [Google]
de3.gif
499KB, 1030x1462px
You monster! I bet you play modern warfare shooters!
>>
>>34086794

Not gonna lie I saw it first in homefront but that game was shit.
>>
File: images (55).jpg (18KB, 444x331px) Image search: [Google]
images (55).jpg
18KB, 444x331px
>>34086737
EODfag
The felt slows down the rate of burning of the WP so it spreads smoke as it falls, then it ends up like a small squished turd of burnt felt and crusted WP on the ground.
>>
There is already an airbursting mortar... It's red phosphorus.
>>
>>34086817
don't use it anymore. RP was for smoke rounds. we have more effecient smoke propellents now.
>>
>>34086770
white phosphorous is the primary ingredient too any incendiary bomb barring napalm. if fired for effect it will burn everything including the oxygen causing all sorts of choking and secondary combustions when clouded with high explosive ammo

i fired a smoke screen 500m from an infantry line and they had to don their pro masks and withdraw
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.